Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th August 2007, 23:54   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
I have friends who own Corolla and the civic, and comparing these to my ancient baleno, i am disappointed with lack of improvement in FE of these new engines. The power is marginally higher, but the FE is worse than the 8-10 year old engine. Its not that the petrol based IC engine technology has peaked on power delivery/FE, but the lack of government pressure to encourage more FE vehicles.
(edit: did not see this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post470419 (Stringent Emission Norms by 2010) )
Other than the diesel powered Laura/Octavia, engines in this power bracket in vehicles of this category have not improved on this important factor.. They are a number of you who rave about how advanced these engines are - this does not translate to an impressive improvement in PS/CC, nor FE.
Modern engines are designed with primary purpose of reducing emission of harmful gases & particles. First job is to meet Euro3, Euro4 norms. Improving FE or power comes later. If improving FE was the sole criteria then we would be running cars with amazing FE in polluted environment.
eg: Catalytic converters: Reduce pollution but consume more fuel.

Quote:
This reminds me of the MHz/GHz race of microprocessors in PCs and this rarely translated to performance improvement of common/popular apps..
Latest CPU can run the latest software. Can a older CPU run latest software. Old software will zoom on latest hardware.
eg: Please try installing Windows 95 on a Pentium 4 box.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 01:03   #332
BANNED

Are you sure? I thought latest cars have more power and better FE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Modern engines are designed with primary purpose of reducing emission of harmful gases & particles. First job is to meet Euro3, Euro4 norms. Improving FE or power comes later. If improving FE was the sole criteria then we would be running cars with amazing FE in polluted environment.
eg: Catalytic converters: Reduce pollution but consume more fuel.

Latest CPU can run the latest software. Can a older CPU run latest software. Old software will zoom on latest hardware.
eg: Please try installing Windows 95 on a Pentium 4 box.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 09:06   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
I have friends who own Corolla and the civic, and comparing these to my ancient baleno, i am disappointed with lack of improvement in FE of these new engines. .

Off Topic - lack of progress - Except for stability systems and overloading cars with airbags - whats new? Look at a w124 or a merc 190 - they have what the newer cars have except for the above and more efficient diesel engines

bottom line - cars have got fat and heavy
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 13:42   #334
BANNED

Before commenting on Other Vs Benz, lets compare Old Benz Vs New Benz:
How is new Merc different from old Mercs?
What more or less they have?
This will answer all questions raised in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Off Topic - lack of progress - Except for stability systems and overloading cars with airbags - whats new? Look at a w124 or a merc 190 - they have what the newer cars have except for the above and more efficient diesel engines

bottom line - cars have got fat and heavy
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 15:15   #335
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
FE and engine is one thing...
The next big thing in question is transmission:

Can someone answer 2 questions I have:
Does Civic have DSG?
Does the A/T have torque convertor or is it a completely mechanical linkage making it real next gen? If torque convertor, how efficient is it?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 15:26   #336
Senior - BHPian

Cars having DSG do not need a torque converter,and DSG is only with the VW group right[sorry for my ignorance].

The civic does have a torque converter[according to honda india website ],I was pretty impressed with the civic a/t but that's about all I can say with my limited knowledge.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 15:46   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Cars having DSG do not need a torque converter,and DSG is only with the VW group right[sorry for my ignorance].

The civic does have a torque converter[according to honda india website ],I was pretty impressed with the civic a/t but that's about all I can say with my limited knowledge.
even audi has dsg. or its called multitronic with them.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:22   #338
Senior - BHPian

audi is from the same family[VW],however I need to add that this technology is not limited too the vw group only ferrari,bmw,porsche are some other names is what somebody tells me maybe some other companies too.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 10th August 2007 at 17:33.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 21:37   #339
BHPian

guys i have driven the corolla and i must admit driving civic is something else...and the civic engine is far more refined ,smooth and powerful with better mileage...and paddle shift adds just more fun to drive civic
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 00:40   #340
BHPian

dear jeetu,
am planning to buy civic MT,please tell me if you feel any negative points for it as i have already done my home work for positive tings of the car.also what do you think would be the FE i should expect of a new civic ?
merains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 05:33   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merains View Post
dear jeetu,
am planning to buy civic MT,please tell me if you feel any negative points for it as i have already done my home work for positive tings of the car.also what do you think would be the FE i should expect of a new civic ?
Expect about 9-10 in city with a/c and 13 with a/c on highway at about 100 km/h speed.

Do check the rear suspension with a reasonably full car (with stuff in boot also), over small (not big) potholes at 60 kmh or so. Check for rear suspension/shocker noise (turn off the Audio).

I have already done 22000 km in my Civic and this is from my experience. And dont bank on the LEGENDARY HONDA SERVICE. It is just a myth.
alankarm@sancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 05:34   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merains View Post
dear jeetu,
In fact a brand new Civic should give You 9 and 12-12.5 km/lt for the 1st few thousand km.
alankarm@sancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 08:36   #343
BHPian

Default Mileage again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
Hmmm....well, I can have read posts by other TBHP members who own the Corolla that the mileage is any day not less than 10 kmpl with AC. There was also a post of a member who owns the automatic Corolla and he gets 10-11 kmpl consistently, so my FE calculations are correct and I have done the same multiple times with my manual version.
Corolla - Get 10.5 with A/c on in bumper to bumper with those quick dash from stop wherever possible. In more saner settings (or when I try to), get 11+ in the city. So getting 11 is not that big a challenge in the city.
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 12:30   #344
BHPian

Hey ST, belated congratulations!

Regarding PUC, all new cars will come with the green "non-polluting vehicle" which you can use for 6 months. This was told to me when I took the delivery of my Corsa. I got my PUC done after about 15-20 days.

Enjoy your Civic unrest
wheelsNsqueals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 13:30   #345
Senior - BHPian

I was told no PUC check required for 1 year on a new car!
Reminds me I have to get it done now...

Mileage will improve as the engine settles down, I have seen about 10% improvement compared to what I had started with. On Same roads, same fuel. Anyway if you are looking at this segment, don't worry too much about the mileage.

My first hand experience and Independent sources (including all leading car magazines) suggest that Civic has better mileage than Corolla.

However Civic offers outstanding driving pleasure.

Last edited by ST7677 : 14th August 2007 at 13:36.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote