Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st August 2007, 10:22   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL who cares for FE when you are buying a D segment car anyway.
That's a big misconception. With rising fuel prices even Americans are getting mileage conscious. Indians were always value conscious, irrespective of which segment you talk about!

Seen the success of Skoda Tdi vs failure of Skoda 2.0 Petrol - everything else being the same in the car, the mileage was what killed the petrol model.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 11:33   #377
Senior - BHPian

Further, if you shift sensibly the mileage doesn't get impacted much.

As I said earlier that I get Rev happy mileage at 9kmpl, I usually shift at 5-6k RPM. The engine is so much torquey between 3k-5k RPM, and the sound, it's wonderful. I easily manage between 9-10 kmpl in City with a heavy foot.

I know most people will shift even before 2k RPM and then complain of low response. Even read some one trying to do 50-90 kmph acceleration in top gear and say that engine does not deliver. People should realize that the peak torque of the engine is in 4k range and that's where the engine is most efficient. For economical drive also Honda recommends Shifting at around 2.8k RPM. For 4th to 5th gear change that would be at about 85-90kmph.
A low power car engine will obviously perform better in 50-90 kmph pull in top gear, because probably it's top speed will be only 130 and the gearing is adjusted to that. However for a 132 BHP engine you need to be in 3rd gear if you want to feel the pull between 50-90. This is not to say that car cannot be driven in 5th gear at 50kmph, it goes till 35 kmph in top gear and can slowly pull up from there without any knocking, but then don't expect performance (or economy) at 1k RPM in 5th gear!!!
If you want to feel the pull in 5th gear, try pushing the gas at 140kmph and feel the acceleration to 170 in no time.

Shifting below 2k RPM will not only give one poor performance but also poor fuel economy. For eco drive shift around 2.8k RPM and for sporty drive shift at around 5k RPM. Worst mileage is still 9kmpl

Note: all this is only Civic 1.8MT specific, may not obviously be applicable for other cars

Last edited by ST7677 : 21st August 2007 at 11:42.
Old 21st August 2007, 11:51   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Except for the RS, I didn't feel any other car in THIS segment had better pickup, handling and response. Compared to which car did you find the Civic sluggish?
Corolla! Drive both cars back to back and you will visibly feel the difference.
Yes please do so, but don;t drive only till 40 kmph, Corolla will better there, even a zen or an esteem may be faster than Corolla till there.
If you really want to experience drive with the gear ratios I mentioned in previous post and drive all the way to best safe speed you can get too. that is where you feel the difference.

Civic has a little initial lag due to Drive By Wire throttle (throttle is controlled by CPU then direct as in most cars) but that's it. Beyond that it is faster, many times more smoother and better handling than Corolla.

Corolla is a good car, but driving pleasure wise Civic beats it hands down.
Old 21st August 2007, 12:35   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post

Shifting below 2k RPM will not only give one poor performance but also poor fuel economy. For eco drive shift around 2.8k RPM and for sporty drive shift at around 5k RPM. Worst mileage is still 9kmpl
I understand.

Can you just for once try and shift at 2.8K (for an eco friendly and FE oriented drive) and report the city and highway figures?

This is usually how I will drive and would like to know the hit on FE I will have to take if I give up my NHC and switch over to Civic.

Thanks.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 20:44   #380
BHPian

dear BHPians,
got my CIVIC S-MT Alabaster silver yesterday at coimbatore and drove back to kochi today.me ,my wife and both children had gone to coimbatore on 19 aug to take the delivery on 20 aug.it was a great occassion for all of us as we were graduating from maruti 800 (1999 model) to civic and all of us were excited.i did lot of homework and it helped a lot.here i must confess that "teamBHP" is the BEST site in its field,i used it to the core and was prepared with a whole lot of questions for the dealer,in fact the GM told me in the end ,Sir you have done PHD !!!,any way i shall cut short and take the opputunity to thank team BHP from my heart and all its members for all the support.i shall surely post the detailed report later.
merains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 21:30   #381
Senior - BHPian

Congrats merians. Great choice. I can almost imagine how happy your family must be on your first trip together in the new car.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 21:35   #382
BHPian

thanks androdev,we are indeed very happy today.its celebration time in our family.and it was my wife who drove all the way from coimabtore to kochi as it was kind of gift from me to her,thanks for your wishes.
Old 22nd August 2007, 06:02   #383
BHPian

hey merains congrats, iam happy u choose the civic iam sure your kids must be loving this beautiful car.....take care and drive safe...
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 13:29   #384
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Merains. I hope you like the car and are satisfied with your decision. Happy driving, drive safe!
Old 22nd August 2007, 17:03   #385
Senior - BHPian

Hey, congrats. Welcome to the club. Have a great time driving the car. I too have an Alabaster Silver. Get nice tints on it. It will looks really cool.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 17:16   #386
BHPian

jeetu,ST and csentil, thanks a lot guys, last two months have been really great,planning/comapring/budgeting/information collection etc, and finally we are proud owners of civic.thank you once again.
Old 22nd August 2007, 18:23   #387
BHPian

hey guys my civic is gone for seat cover ,walk in door stepper,and some interior work will post the snaps soon. hope everthing turns out good......
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 20:29   #388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
hey guys my civic is gone for seat cover ,walk in door stepper,and some interior work will post the snaps soon. hope everthing turns out good......
where have you sent it.. and why dont you start your own thread and how your interior and rims and ince and whatever mods your planning on doin.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:42   #389
BHPian

dear readers,
i want to allay the fears of all civic lovers, i drove a new civic from coimbatore to kochi on 21 aug 07 (the roads are bad in kerala during/after monsoons,potholed/craters all along the highway).As it was a new car and we were more cautious and it helps over pot holes and not even once our car scraped the ground.so the mantra for civic is be gentle (read slow) over bumps/potholes and dont worry about GC.In any case it has GC of 170 mm and in comparison of cars of its segment its very much comparable and kool if you are careful over bumps/potholes.enjoy your CIVIC motring.cheers!

Last edited by merains : 22nd August 2007 at 21:43.
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:04   #390
VKJ
BHPian

Default CiViC query

I wanted to know if Civic's come with a split rear seat.
VKJ is offline   Reply With Quote