Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd August 2007, 17:26   #391
Senior - BHPian

No!
Welcome to your first post on T-BHP...
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:54   #392
VKJ
BHPian

hi ST,

Is the boot space enough and sufficient for weekend trips/long journeys? Do you people see any crunch in managing ingress/egress loding of long items?

I also wanted to know the pros and cons of integrated in-dash(as in civic) versus boot resident cd changers as in corolla low end models. Like how versatile and useful would they be to let's say upgradeability to high end dvd players from cd/mp3 players.

Mod's Note: Do not make multiple posts unnecessarily. Try to make a single post to cover all that you want to say. Afterthoughts can be added by clicking the Edit button.
VKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 18:25   #393
Senior - BHPian

Please check the Civic webpage to get basic details on the car...
Honda Car India: Civic Overview

Quote:
Is the boot space enough and sufficient for weekend trips/long journeys? Do you people see any crunch in managing ingress/egress loding of long items?
Depends on how much you pack. I think the boot is 430 ltrs.
Personally, I have about a 100 ltr sub woofer box and with that I find just enough space to pack for long weekends and do station / airport trips. Without the box there is plenty of space.
Boot lip is low so there is not much issue in getting things in and out.

Quote:
I also wanted to know the pros and cons of integrated in-dash(as in civic) versus boot resident cd changers as in corolla low end models. Like how versatile and useful would they be to let's say upgradeability to high end dvd players from cd/mp3 players.
Adv: you don't want to get down on a traffic signal and open your boot to change a CD in the changer. In dash CD changer is way more convenient and you can even operate it while driving.

Diadv: Upgradation is more expensive. 1. you will need a new dash panel 2. your stock CD changer goes waste
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:18   #394
Team-BHP Support

isnt your sub also 100kgs??
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:21   #395
VKJ
BHPian

After going through some of the threads, i see the postings/issues/viewpoints on this forum very useful and technical as well as practical.
I need some useful thoughts/suggestions from you guys. I have narrowed in on CiViC after going through some reviews and test drives against Octy and Corolla. I am planning to buy it in October, as i can mobilize my funds by then.

1. My concern currently is am graduating from M800. Are there any folks out there who have faced/seen real problems on road in adjusting to the traffic, road conditions and car dimension.

2. Come 2008, would there be any upgrades/variants apart from what i have heard/read from media that they are going to come out with a Hybrid CiViC.
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:31   #396
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKJ View Post
After going through some of the threads, i see the postings/issues/viewpoints on this forum very useful and technical as well as practical.
I need some useful thoughts/suggestions from you guys. I have narrowed in on CiViC after going through some reviews and test drives against Octy and Corolla. I am planning to buy it in October, as i can mobilize my funds by then.

1. My concern currently is am graduating from M800. Are there any folks out there who have faced/seen real problems on road in adjusting to the traffic, road conditions and car dimension.

2. Come 2008, would there be any upgrades/variants apart from what i have heard/read from media that they are going to come out with a Hybrid CiViC.
go back one page.. merains just graduated to a civic from a m800. i guess you can ask him about his experience.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 23:36   #397
Senior - BHPian

Oh there's a lot of difference but if you are a competent driver you will not have too many problems. I graduated from a Matiz to a Civic.

1. Parking. I found the most issues with parking. Parallel or reverse parking. Partially due to poor rear visibility. One of the things I do is to point both the rear view mirrors downwards so as to be able to judge distance with relation to platform or another vehicle. Ah the advantages of having adjustable SRVMs.

2. Squeezing inbetween other vehicles in traffic. Not only the front longer, you now have a back as well which has to squeeze through. :-) Don't try these till you are comfortable with the car's dimensions.

3. Power. There's a LOT of power. Go light on the pedal till you are comfortable driving a big car at high speeds. Excellent brakes and ABS, EBD, BA helps. Watch out for the brakes as well. You could get rear ended if you brake suddenly.

Other than that, minor issues like taking more time to clean, more money spent on maintenance etc are there. :-)

The Hybrid will defnitely be more expensive than the convential model. We had a thread for that I think. Someone quoted a price of 20Lakhs.

Go for the Civic, you won't regret it.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 23:55   #398
BHPian

The boot is 410 ltr or so. BUT...... the design of the boot leaves a lot to be desired. This is my practical experience:

We were going to Delhi. Had 2 Suitcases and a Strolly and handbags. These did not fit in the CIVIC. But..... and thats the best part I have an Old Honda City1.3 EXI--- And with some cajoling the 2 bags fit on top of each other, and the strolly fit on the side. (350 ltr boot they said??).

The design of the Civic boot due to the shape is giving a lot of depth below the windscreen and seat but not enough height to take 2 suitcases one on top of the other.

Guess which car went to Delhi (out of compulsion)?
alankarm@sancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 09:51   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
isnt your sub also 100kgs??
Ah not really, I would get squashed under that if it was...
The total Audio setup is close to an additional ton, the sub with box is only around 40-45kgs. It is a removable box, and I have removed it once, to get more boot space
Old 24th August 2007, 10:40   #400
VKJ
BHPian

Thanks for the quick one CSentil...am awaiting for more responses from other folks on this topic. In my M800 i used to get the visibility from all angles, thinking how much time i would take to reach office/back home in my new civic ;-))
1. How versatile/useful are those reverse parking sensors? has anyone fitted them on CiViC?
2. How do others/co-drivers on the road respect CiViC? do they back off!!!touch me not!!! dare me not!!! kinds...please quote real experiences here...
3. I stay in Bangalore, so most of the drivers are aggresive to mostly rude kinds(the taxi/yellow plate wallas) and am so sensitive to new vehicles that even a small scratch/dent makes me furious/angry and gets/puts me into rage mood. How do you people handle these practical situations especially on b'lore roads.
4. Other interesting topic that i want to bring in here is:
Printed Antenna versus Roof top Antenna models. Please comment on pros and cons on important points like reception/sound quality, under monsoon/bad weather conditions etc...
Old 24th August 2007, 11:46   #401
BHPian

hi VKj,
i just graduated from M 800 to civic on 20 aug after lot of homework.test drove SX4,City,fiesta,aveo,optra,optra magnum,verna,indigo XL and finally zeroed on to civic ,the best car in the market leaving the cost aside.yes in comparison to 800 the drive is super smooth,loads of power,steering is super,infact i cant find a single fault.As regards the GC, you got be careful(be slow) over potholes /high speedbrakers.As regards parking, i have put parking sensors in front and rear,very helpful.in fact the sensors have already paid back to me .i took the delivery on 20 aug evening and planned to drive on 21 morn.after getting up in the morning (probably was little sleepy ) i thought let me take out from the car garage and bring in front of my room ,did not see a tree behind unless the sensor beeped and i stopped and saw my rear was about 3 inches from the tree.lucky me.as regards driving in traffic ,i am going slow because i am getting used to front distance judgement and you never know how other vehicles overtake you.with extra care while driving in city so far (touch wood),everything is fine and i am getting confident now and hope would be expert in a month's tiome.by then the conventional running in would also be over.

Last edited by merains : 24th August 2007 at 11:48.
merains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 14:25   #402
VKJ
BHPian

Thanks Merains, how much did the sensors cost you and is it OK to fit them by taking into account the Mfr. Warranty.
1. I also wanted to know if there is a Tyre pressure monitoring device available in the market. I feel they are great useful gadget/thingy to fit on board.
2. What do you people feel about the company fitted tyres on Civic look/feel like and the durability?

Ah...CSentil i particularly did'nt get your viewpoint on QUOTE"1. Parking. I found the most issues with parking. Parallel or reverse parking. Partially due to poor rear visibility. One of the things I do is to point both the rear view mirrors downwards so as to be able to judge distance with relation to platform or another vehicle. Ah the advantages of having adjustable SRVMs."UNQUOTE Did you mean you check the clearance at the ground ZERO level? please elaborate.
Old 24th August 2007, 14:56   #403
BHPian

it costed me 4000/- and got it fitted from honda dealer only without effecting honda warranty and there is warranty on sensors too.i have two in front and four in rear and it gives distance indication of upto 60 cms ahead abd 1.5 meters behind and beeps continuously at 30 cm distance.yes tyre pressure sensor seems to be good idea but have'nt heard/seen anywhere.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:14   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also wanted to know if there is a Tyre pressure monitoring device available in the market
Please use search on T-BHP forum, there are plenty of threads discussing the options and prices.

Quote:
Quote:
1. Parking. I found the most issues with parking. Parallel or reverse parking. Partially due to poor rear visibility. One of the things I do is to point both the rear view mirrors downwards so as to be able to judge distance with relation to platform or another vehicle. Ah the advantages of having adjustable SRVMs.
Did you mean you check the clearance at the ground ZERO level? please elaborate.
What he means is that you can tilt the outside side rear view mirrors (SRVM) so that you can see the rear wheel and last qtr of the car body in the mirror. This helps a lot when parallel parking or reversing the car and it can be done right from your drivers seat.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:15   #405
BHPian

dear all,
any advice on run in for newly purchased civic MT in terms of speeds not to be crossed /RPM management/fuel to be filled and this run in period should be upto how many kilometers ?