Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th November 2014, 23:20   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Avventura : Test Drive & Review

[/quote] The figures are pretty close till 80kmph. In fact, Avventura is the quicker one at city speeds. Are these figures sufficient to judge the ease of use of vehicle in city / highway conditions? Are there other parameters to judge the power of the vehicle as well? For example, do the figures such as time from 20-80 in 2nd / 3rd gear matter just as much? I searched but could not find the figures for these parameters. [/quote]

Autocar India has posted the in-gear acceleration timing in their magazine. One can see for themselves that the timings of the Avventura (first column) are far better than that of EcoSport (right/last column). These timing are a fair indication of drivability, especially in the city. In a way Autocar is contradicting itself. But then, both the review & the figures are from the same entity, so it is not exactly giving a clear picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Avventura : Test Drive & Review-imag2427_1.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 17:55   #152
BHPian

About the spare mounted on the boot, I have a question. Its rather funny but please bear with me.

Can we remove the tyre (alone) and put it back where it originally belongs (inside the boot). Then remove (and throw away) the whole swing arm assembly. Detach the spare cover from the swing arm and directly screw it on the boot door. The spare cover should weigh only a couple of kgs, so I guess it does not induce a rattle.

That way we would have a butch looking CUV with a the spare comfortably resting inside the boot.

Could it work?
civic-sense is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 09:13   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Can we remove the tyre (alone) and put it back where it originally belongs (inside the boot). Then remove (and throw away) the whole swing arm assembly. Detach the spare cover from the swing arm and directly screw it on the boot door. The spare cover should weigh only a couple of kgs, so I guess it does not induce a rattle.
Could it work?
Why not get a punto and wheel cover and bolt it on? Will be much cheaper .

Ok jokes apart.
1. I think the cover will be hollow/open on the inner side as the bolting is actually on the wheel in most cases.

2. If you remove the spare wheel swing arm, the bumper will be left with an eyesore.

3. Screwing on the boot door will mean drilling holes. That's an unnecessary invitation to rust and paint chipping.

4. Is the hassle worth it?
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 09:27   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
About the spare mounted on the boot, I have a question. Its rather funny but please bear with me.

That way we would have a butch looking CUV with a the spare comfortably resting inside the boot.

Could it work?
Just buy the Punto Evo instead.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 09:58   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Duster : max power, space, performance, refinement but ordinary interiors
You might want to add that it fared the worst in Euro Ncap as the Dacia Duster. Not very different from what we get in India.

There is a lot to like about the Duster but does it really justify an additional 5-6 lac premium over the options you listed? I don't think so.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 19:40   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
You might want to add that it fared the worst in Euro Ncap as the Dacia Duster. Not very different from what we get in India.

There is a lot to like about the Duster but does it really justify an additional 5-6 lac premium over the options you listed? I don't think so.
Off course i dont think Duster is worth the price quoted, that is why i rated it to last on VFM scale. But, if you want to buy a good car in 15L budget it scores very high (especially AWD) with what it offers, even if it's not good VFM.

But, i will certainly rule it out if it does not meet European safety standards. I don't know whether it does.

On the other hand, Avventura with 1.6 MJD would have been the great option even if priced a lakh rupees higher than current. I will certainly exchange my punto in that case.
46TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 00:48   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Off course i dont think Duster is worth the price quoted, that is why i rated it to last on VFM scale. But, if you want to buy a good car in 15L budget it scores very high (especially AWD) with what it offers, even if it's not good VFM.

But, i will certainly rule it out if it does not meet European safety standards. I don't know whether it does.

AFAIK the Duster has 3* rating when it comes to safety .

m.autoevolution.com/dacia-duster-suv-scores-only-3-stars-in-euro-ncap-crash-tests-31770.html

Last edited by bblost : 9th November 2014 at 02:28. Reason: Fixed youtube link
al pacino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 08:04   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by al pacino View Post
AFAIK the Duster has 3* rating when it comes to safety .
OT: It may not be the same for the variants sold in India. The tested model in Euro NCAP got side airbags.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 11:31   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
OT: It may not be the same for the variants sold in India. The tested model in Euro NCAP got side airbags.
OT
It means it will get even less then 3* for the variants sold in India . wow 15 lakhs car which is un safe this can only happen in country like ours .
al pacino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 16:58   #160
BHPian

Folks from Fiat Cafee got me the Avventura for test ride and I enjoyed the test ride. Following is my initial feedback (Strictly my observations) -

Good things -

1. Class leading ride and handling. Even better than Punto I would say considering the increased GC.
2. Interiors are great.
3. Lovely alloy wheels.
4. I rode on spreed breakers (high, medium), broken roads, pot holes etc and the ride was extremely pliant, stable. As usual steering feedback was awesome.
5. Paint quality is topnotch.
6. Side claddings, roof rails are of high quality and miles ahead of the peer cross overs. I would say the peer crossovers are no where in comparison.
7. Massive GC - 205! That would be more than sufficient for roads in Pune.
8. Most VFM CUV on roads in India.

Not so good thing -
1. The rear door mechanism is bit quirky. This may be a irritant. You will need to get used to it and could be turn off for some one.
2. There is no hand rest!

But overall from my perspective I found it to be the most VFM CUV. The features, ride/handling and the quality are no doubt class leading. Need to see if it turns Fiat's fortunes.

BTW - I saw the advt on Youtube and watched it thrice. Its the best auto commercial I have ever come across.

These are strictly my opinions.

Last edited by maverickxx2006 : 10th November 2014 at 17:00.
maverickxx2006 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 00:05   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post

BTW - I saw the advt on Youtube and watched it thrice. Its the best auto commercial I have ever come across.

These are strictly my opinions.
the feel alive ad is awesome. Only if Fiat puts it on the TV and does the right visibility of this product. The avventura is a good Cuv proposition and if Fiat markets the product correctly, it may be a feather in their cap.

NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 00:16   #162
Senior - BHPian

This ad has already been released on TV. I saw this couple of days back.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 03:20   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a short TD of Avventura 1.3 MJD on the same road that I drive everyday in a Bolero, Thar or Esteem.
Pros:
1. Attention magnet with superb presence unlike the Polo or Etios Cross
2. Feels solid and is well put together
3. Soaks up bumps and undulations
4. Felt very stable at a sweeping turn at 100 kmph. I take the same turn regularly in my Esteem and the Avventura felt a lot more sure footed at the same speed.

Cons:
1. Did not feel that the car had 93 horses under the hood. Would have preferred a bit more spirited engine.

P.S: I have never seen a more enthusiastic and keen FIAT sales person before. Seems like FIAT is really investing in training the people.
BlackPearl is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 01:46   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,
Yesterday had the opportunity to drive Avventura and drove it over about 15 kms of different road conditions.
Here are my impressions about the car:

Liked:
1. Ride quality is superb on all kinds of roads. I own a punto and still i found a significant upgrade.
2. Handling is also superb and only minor body roll for a cuv.
3. All the other positives of punto 90 are retained.
4. Engine refinement is better and lesser turbo lag than punto.
5. A 9.6 L approx on road, better option than a Ecosport ( 11+) or Duster (14-16)

Not liked:
1. Interiors have too many colours that dont gel well like grey, brown and black,etc
Plain black interiors of punto evo 90 would have been better choice here.
2. Restrictions regarding tail gate and rear hatch opening as mentioned in the review.
3. Ergonomics are better than punto for drivers seat but still far from being perfect.
Rear seat space too is at a premium.

In all, my ratings for ecosport, duster awd and avventura are as follows:

From VFM perspective:
1. Avventura ( 9.6L)
2. Ecosport (11+L)
3. Duster awd (16+L)

If money no bar purchase:
1. Duster : max power, space, performance, refinement but ordinary interiors
2. Ecosport: max features and decent space and quality
3. Avventura: great overall but less space
If money no bar then there would be more options available for a person at 11/13 lacs OTR than the duster or for that matter ecosport (which I feel is over priced)
Blue Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 11:32   #165
BHPian

Chevrolet launched Spin Activ crossover in Brazil.
It has Avventura like external spare wheel & boot opening mechanism.

GTO posted pictures of Merc having similar boot mounted spare wheel few pages back. Is this a new trend emerging?

Source: IAB
http://indianautosblog.com/2014/11/c...-images-156783
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Avventura : Test Drive & Review-sipn-boot-spare-wheel.jpg  

S.MJet is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote