Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th January 2015, 15:46   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Fast Ford - My 2014 Paprika Red Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Thanks styx71.
The ground clearance is sufficient for Bangalore roads and thanks to the stiff suspension, never bottoms out. But yes, there was this one time when the car was loaded with 5 adults and two big suitcases and I managed to scrape the under belly on a really huge speed breaker. Bangalore has unusually huge speed breakers so in any other city, it should do fine!
Congratulations on your buy Porschefire! Though delayed from my side, Welcome to the Club!
On your above observation,yes, the underbelly scrapes with such loads both inside the cabin and in the boot.

The manual clearly mentions about a recommended pressure of 35 psi in the front tiers and 40 psi for rear, in fully loaded conditions.(I tried with 5 adults + boot full of luggage including a 40kg rice bag)
I followed this and never scrapped my ride's belly since then, on the same routes/ conditions.

Regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 15:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am in love with your Fiesta.

Whenever I used to open the Fiesta official website, I used to ignore this colour on the Fiesta. But, now suddenly, the Paparika Red looks so much better based on your photos.

Congrats on the red hot beauty and wishing a long and happy journey with the smartest car in its segment IMO.
ajay_satpute is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 10:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Congratulations on your buy Porschefire! Though delayed from my side, Welcome to the Club!
On your above observation,yes, the underbelly scrapes with such loads both inside the cabin and in the boot.

The manual clearly mentions about a recommended pressure of 35 psi in the front tiers and 40 psi for rear, in fully loaded conditions.(I tried with 5 adults + boot full of luggage including a 40kg rice bag)
I followed this and never scrapped my ride's belly since then, on the same routes/ conditions.

Regards,
Maverick79.
Thanks Maverick79!

I need an info from you or anyone else who can help me. What is the recommended tire pressure for 2 on board and 2 normal sized suitcases in the boot? My parents are starting on a long trip tomorrow and since I'm currently abroad, I do not have access to the owners manual.
Thanks in advance!
Porschefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 10:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Lets start with your Getz. This was the first quality hatch on our roads. Typical to Hyundai's, it was no drivers car but that's not why you bought a Getz. A lot of folks felt the interiors were too much plastic and boring. What I saw was quality. Even the air conditioning vents oozed quality. I look at the Getz as the first premium hatch. It was roomy, comfortable, reliable and quiet on the inside. The engine (1.3) was super refined too. It is unfortunate that it did not do too well or as much as Hyundai would have liked. The company has surely made up for it with the i20.

Onto the contenders for your new car, had your father driven the VW GT TSI, I am almost certain it would have been the one in your garage. Yes; space is probably the lowest in the hatch segment. Once again, had you driven a Linea T Jet, there is a high possibility that it would have been in your garage.

I think your choice of color is one of the best shades for the Fiesta. I can only think of the brown, red and blue (no longer available )that suits this car. A colleague has a grey 2014 Fiesta and its boring. How he ended up with a Fiesta is funny. He happens to pass by the same Ford showroom where you bought your car from, sees a 2014 grey Fiesta standing inside, walks in to the showroom and tells the SA, I want that car now and that was it. No test drive or anything. No waiting period as he bought the display car. The chap did not even know how to drive. That new front end is sharp.

Going by your pictures, the dashboard surface is a definite improvement in quality.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 13th January 2015 at 10:11.
sandeepmohan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 11:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Maverick79!

I need an info from you or anyone else who can help me. What is the recommended tire pressure for 2 on board and 2 normal sized suitcases in the boot? My parents are starting on a long trip tomorrow and since I'm currently abroad, I do not have access to the owners manual.
Thanks in advance!
I was in the same dilemma when my Fiesta (now Classic) was new. For city driving, I always fill up 31 psi on all 4 tyres (recommended for Classic is 30). As it is N2, it lasts for nearly 2 months.

Only when I go on a long journey with 4 adults and full luggage, I fill up 34 in the front and 38 in the rear. Following the recommended pressure would have meant 35 in the front and 40 at the rear, but that makes the car too bouncy, with less traction, though it does help in clearing all speed-breakers.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 13:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Lets start with your Getz. This was the first quality hatch on our roads. Typical to Hyundai's, it was no drivers car but that's not why you bought a Getz. A lot of folks felt the interiors were too much plastic and boring. What I saw was quality. Even the air conditioning vents oozed quality. I look at the Getz as the first premium hatch. It was roomy, comfortable, reliable and quiet on the inside. The engine (1.3) was super refined too. It is unfortunate that it did not do too well or as much as Hyundai would have liked. The company has surely made up for it with the i20.
I don't know if its good or bad but I've always made decisions from my heart.
As I've mentioned in my review earlier, Swift was the obvious choice back then. But one look at the Getz and my heart was sold onto it. Everything you've mentioned about the Getz is absolutely true - yes, it was no driver's car but the abundant space, the quality, super refined engine (mine was a 1.1), styling made up for it. It was supremely comfortable for 5 and the ride characteristic was very mature, almost comparable to the sedans back then. i20 was and is a worthy successor now but somehow, it could never instill that magic in me that the Getz did.
Same goes with my Ninja as well. I've been smitten by it ever since I saw one with my naked eyes. I booked it at a time when the bookings for N300 would start in 20 days. It didn't matter though. N300 never appealed to my heart (although spec wise, I must admit it got better in every sense), the 250 was the dream and lo, got home probably one of the last 250s to be sold in the country!
With the Fiesta, I've continued the legacy!
One thing I'm proud about myself is that I never gave a damn about the resale value and I pity people who buy cars thinking only about how much they're gonna get in return when they sell it.

Quote:
Onto the contenders for your new car, had your father driven the VW GT TSI, I am almost certain it would have been the one in your garage. Yes; space is probably the lowest in the hatch segment. Once again, had you driven a Linea T Jet, there is a high possibility that it would have been in your garage.
GT TSI, I loved it but it would've been the Vento TSI if we were to go for VW. Linea TJet, I didn't want to test drive as I didn't want it to conflict with my decision to go for the Fiesta (which I'd already made). I've never driven one. Maybe I'll take a test drive someday and maybe I'll love it. Would that mean I'll feel bad for buying the Fiesta? Absolutely NOT!

Quote:
Going by your pictures, the dashboard surface is a definite improvement in quality.
The top half of the dashboard oozes quality but the bottom half still has hard plastics and rough edges. There is definite scope for improvement in this regard. Quality overall is absolutely brilliant.

Quote:
I think your choice of color is one of the best shades for the Fiesta. I can only think of the brown, red and blue (no longer available )that suits this car. A colleague has a grey 2014 Fiesta and its boring. How he ended up with a Fiesta is funny. He happens to pass by the same Ford showroom where you bought your car from, sees a 2014 grey Fiesta standing inside, walks in to the showroom and tells the SA, I want that car now and that was it. No test drive or anything. No waiting period as he bought the display car. The chap did not even know how to drive. That new front end is sharp.
Your friend's story is hilarious! I hope he's happy with his decision.
Thanks for your kind words sandeep. Makes me truly proud to own this gem of a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I was in the same dilemma when my Fiesta (now Classic) was new. For city driving, I always fill up 31 psi on all 4 tyres (recommended for Classic is 30). As it is N2, it lasts for nearly 2 months.
Only when I go on a long journey with 4 adults and full luggage, I fill up 34 in the front and 38 in the rear. Following the recommended pressure would have meant 35 in the front and 40 at the rear, but that makes the car too bouncy, with less traction, though it does help in clearing all speed-breakers.
Thanks for the info vnabhi. Its just my parents and couple of suitcases tomorrow so I've told my dad to fill up 32psi on all 4 tires. The recommended pressure is 30psi on all 4 for 1-3 people in the car. With full load, its 35psi front and 40psi rear.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 16:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your friend's story is hilarious! I hope he's happy with his decision.
Yes he is. I was more happy than he was when I heard from him on the car he selected. To be honest, I was jealous. His first car and with zero knowledge of cars. He did not even consult anyone and still landed up with one of the best drives in the segment. This colleague has slowly and steadily improved on his driving skills and has started to appreciate the car and the comfort of four wheels.

Quote:
Only when I go on a long journey with 4 adults and full luggage, I fill up 34 in the front and 38 in the rear.
You surely know more about your car than I do. However, I would not go anywhere near these numbers no matter what the payload is. The ride will be jarring and you are putting some serious stress on the tires and suspension at such high psi. Please be careful. I don't go any higher than 32psi no matter what the condition of the payload or the road. You have to remember than tire temperature increases during use.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 13th January 2015 at 16:24.
sandeepmohan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 16:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You surely know more about your car than I do. However, I would not go anywhere near these numbers no matter what the payload is. The ride will be jarring and you are putting some serious stress on the tires and suspension at such high psi. Please be careful. I don't go any higher than 32psi no matter what the condition of the payload or the road. You have to remember than tire temperature increases during use.
Thanks for your advice. I wonder why Ford has not mentioned these points in their user manual. I went only on one long journey to Ooty with full load, and used that setting only once. The Bangalore highway was butter smooth, and it was raining, so I did not feel any jarry ride. It was a wee bit slippery though.

When I returned after a week, the rear pressure had surprisingly come down to 33 and the front was 31. There was no puncture either.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 22:45   #39
BHPian

Great color and suits the Fiesta. The only sore point for the Fiesta is that Ford has not given it an engine it deserves. At least a good petrol in the genre of the Fiesta Classic 1.6 sport would have been great.

I love the interiors of the Fiesta especially the way the seats are contoured with great bolstering.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 07:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. I wonder why Ford has not mentioned these points in their user manual. It was a wee bit slippery though.
You are welcome.

It is not just Ford. I've seen this with most manufacturers. All specify very high tire pressure. A high psi will favor fuel economy but that is about it. Losing traction is much easier at the psi you were at. The effectiveness of abs and other active traction, stability aids will be reduced too. Even more dangerous when the surface is wet.

Please observe if the psi reduced even further to rule out a possible flat or valve failure.
sandeepmohan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 08:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All specify very high tire pressure. A high psi will favor fuel economy but that is about it. Losing traction is much easier at the psi you were at. The effectiveness of abs and other active traction, stability aids will be reduced too.
Higher the air pressure in the tyre, more the inflated it is. The road contact area becomes lesser so stopping time and distance increases.

ABS would work but may not be as effective at it would be at lesser tyre pressures.

Moreover as the tyre rotates the temperature increases causing more pressure to build-up inside stressing it further over undulations. If no proper care taken during driving, chances of blow out could be experienced.

IMO, Be it any pay load, F = 34 psi and R = 32 psi seems to be fine.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th January 2015 at 08:12.
a4anurag is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 10:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are welcome.

It is not just Ford. I've seen this with most manufacturers. All specify very high tire pressure. A high psi will favor fuel economy but that is about it. Losing traction is much easier at the psi you were at. The effectiveness of abs and other active traction, stability aids will be reduced too. Even more dangerous when the surface is wet.

Please observe if the psi reduced even further to rule out a possible flat or valve failure.
Let me put the facts across correctly: Ford recommends 30 psi on all 4 tyres for the Fiesta and Figo. It is only for a fully-loaded car that it recommends an absurd psi of 35 psi in the front and 40 in the rear. I don't think this was done with FE in mind, but more of GC concerns. A fully-loaded car is prone to scraping its under-belly on speed-breakers with the normal psi.

I've owned 2 Marutis and in neither case was the psi recommendation high. But in both, there was no distinction between a fully-loaded car and a normally-loaded one. I think the M800 recommended 30 psi on all tyres (don't remember, as I sold it off a decade ago). The WagonR recommends 33 psi on all 4 tyres.

And by the way, there was no puncture in any of the tyres on my return from Ooty.

Last edited by vnabhi : 15th January 2015 at 10:40.
vnabhi is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 11:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the climate control switching off the recirculation mode. Have you tried switching on climate control by using the off button instead of the Auto button? Try that and you will see that recirculation will switch on provided it was on the last time you used the AC.

Using the off button basically switches on climate control with whatever settings were used last.

Last edited by vikram_d : 15th January 2015 at 11:21.
vikram_d is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 12:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- AC is a chiller and the climate control works well. One annoying thing is the recirculation mode switches off everytime you switch off the car and it has to be selected again when you switch on the car. In the review, Vid mentioned that this was the case with Ecosport and that they’ve rectified the problem in the Fiesta. Well, it’s not. The problem persists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Regarding the climate control switching off the recirculation mode. Have you tried switching on climate control by using the off button instead of the Auto button? Try that and you will see that recirculation will switch on provided it was on the last time you used the AC. Using the off button basically switches on climate control with whatever settings were used last.
One of the people on the EcoSport thread found this neat technique to circumvent this issue, which should work similarly in the Fiesta:
  • Turn on the AC in circulation mode by pressing just the recirculation button (highlighted in green). This automatically turns on the AC and enables recirculation mode. A bonus is that this button and the off button are closest to the driver.
  • Turn off the AC by using the off button.
Name:  EcoSport  Recirculation Mode.gif
Views: 1267
Size:  43.7 KB
On another note, I'm quite tempted to report this thread to the mods - those pictures on page two make me weak at the knees, and are driving me towards irrational decisions like ditching my EcoSport for a Fiesta. Those pictures ought to be banned!
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 23:40   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Regarding the climate control switching off the recirculation mode. Have you tried switching on climate control by using the off button instead of the Auto button? Try that and you will see that recirculation will switch on provided it was on the last time you used the AC.

Using the off button basically switches on climate control with whatever settings were used last.
True that! it works. I was also confused initially and a bit saddened to see that i need to punch in the recirculation button every time I switch ON the AC but later accidently I pressed OFF button and then it started in recirculation mode
quakerme is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote