Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th July 2016, 20:32   #76
Thumbs up re: Zed, my Red Tata Zest. EDIT: 20 months & 25,000 kms update

Zest completed 25,000 kms milestone and 20 months.

I have already detailed on the issues faced so far, but a quick run down will give a better idea

Non Functional Issues
  • A smudge inside the instrument cluster - Spotted during delivery, was changed within a few days of delivery as promised.
  • Noise from brake, while high speed braking on rumble, vibration of the pedal with a shuddering sound - Normal ABS in action, I was worried since it was the first time I was driving with ABS. It was further demoed to me in the workshop.
  • Low RPM driveability - This was an issue for me for some time, you would find a lot of detailed writing on it. I was shifting too early and was completely out of sync with the shift pattern of Zest, that was the final root cause. Now I have no issues and is able to control the car really well. The car needed no modification/ rectification for the same. Even in ECO mode I'm able to control the car much better.

Functional Issues
  • Mud in engine bay, TML retro fitted a KIT to take care of the issue. It was fitted incorrectly the first time. Was done really neatly the second time.
  • Front left Fog lamp stopped working - The bulb got fused, bit weird that the entire housing was replaced, I was not able to dig deeper into it as to why a fused bulb will need entire bracket replacement.
  • A noise from the glove box area - The Body Control module fitted inside the dashboard on top of the glove box had a loose nut.
  • Engine would stall suddenly in 2nd gear for no apparent reason - This happened when you have released the clutch completely. This is not the one where you leave the clutch too soon and stall the engine, that's a driver fault. It was a ECU parameter issue, where the clutch height and parameter was changed along with other settings, resolved with the flashing of new version. This also reduced an occasional engine vibration and resulted in a much smoother idling than before. Later came to know this update was for all Revotron cars till a certain date.
  • A noise from steering column - The drive shaft was replaced after RCA was done by TML, it took them some time to come to conclusion but resolution was one shot. Drive shaft was replaced and the noise was gone.
  • A wiper blade change, was done as part of AMC, it was leaving faint streaks, as per Service Advisor, I had not complaints at that time.
  • Outside temperature mode not displayed in Instrument cluster - Instrument cluster was changed in warranty
  • Demister button not working - Body Control Module got kaput, replaced in warranty.
  • DRL indicator not working - Actually it stopped working after the Instrument cluster replacement, but I realized it weeks after. The position of the DRL indicator changed, due to the new cluster. So when it was rectified now I realized I never seen it since the replacement of the instrument cluster. After replacement of the Instrument cluster, it needs a firmware re-flash which was missed causing the issue. It has been resolved.

The picture below shows the current Instrument Cluster model, my car was shipped with the previous version and hence it needed a flashing of the BCM ECU it seems.

Zed, my Red Tata Zest. EDIT: 20 months & 25,000 kms update-dsc_0019.jpg
  • A couple of noise issues very promptly resolved, no part replacement.
  • The car lately was being a bit noisy, Zest otherwise has good NVH especially the Revotron, the noise would increase with speed. Some of my friends perceived it more and stated that car was sounding like a diesel car at times. Took for a checkup and front right axle bearing was found at fault. Replaced in warranty and issue was resolved

These were all the issues that I faced so far. Part Changes so far - Instrument cluster (2 times, first one had a smudge), drive shaft, Body Control Module, Front axle bearing, wiper blades - all in warranty or AMC.

No other mechanical issues yet, the car feels solid so far. Harman System has been stable for me so far. I used with mainly with my android phone and USB key, after the last software update it continued the same.

The firmware version after upgrade
Zed, my Red Tata Zest. EDIT: 20 months & 25,000 kms update-dsc_0017.jpg

My satisfaction with the car has been increasing with time. The more I drove this car the more I liked it. It had it's share of issues as detailed above, but each of them has been taken care of so far, I have nothing to complain as of today.

Few generic remarks, the likes of below, has been passed to TML and dealer more than once:
  • Cleaning the car with attention to detail
  • Use clean materials while washing and drying the cars, else it leaves behind swirls on the paint
  • Interiors that get soiled during mechanical work should be cleaned

I hope TML and the dealer will look into these minor aspects, which leave behind a lot a mark on the end user, when he takes the delivery.

All in all been a great buy for me at the price and Service delivered is improving that s a great sign. I'll request people to leave comment on how the service is being perceived in other parts of the country?

The Mileage data I maintain shows the consumption as below, its purely for reference, my car is driven with AC on 100% except for very steep climbs on hilly roads.

Zed, my Red Tata Zest. EDIT: 20 months & 25,000 kms update-avg-mileage.png

I had to shell out Rs.3496 so far as part of maintenance cost, that includes the following:
  • Nuts and Cloth
  • 3M Underbody Treatment - 2200 for this alone
  • Washing - 1 Paid wash
  • Bonnet Stay Rod
  • Air filter - I changed it voluntarily
  • Wheel Alignment
  • Power socket cap - I pulled it too hard :(
arindam_xeta is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 22:29   #77
Distinguished - BHPian
Default re: Zed, my Red Tata Zest. EDIT: 20 months & 25,000 kms update

Thanks for the detailed report and congrats on completing 25K kilometres. Wish you many more miles of happiness. Your red Zest looks fantastic.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 12:19   #78
Default Re: Zed, my Red Tata Zest. EDIT: 20 months & 25,000 kms update

Dear Arindam_Xeta, Thank you for the detailed log of your Zest experience. Your ownership thread has been most useful. I check your thread quite regularly for updates. Wish you many more happy and safe miles with your Red-Zest (looks awesome). Maybe you should change your handle to Arindam_Zest now
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote