Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th December 2014, 16:57   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi: Things get really LUVly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Hi, heartiest congratulations. But a sincere suggestion, your car is equipped with airbags. In an unfortunate event of an impact, the front bull bars might affect the airbag deployment. My dad is an insurance surveyor and dealing with car accidents is part of his everyday job and he says the front bull bar can be the worst thing fitted on a car which has airbags as he knows several cases where the airbags did not inflate as the bull bars affected the performance of the respective sensors and the occupants landed with a broken nose or worst.

I wish you a safe and wonderful ownership of the car.
Hi, thank you very much for the wishes Dieselritzer. Time is not permitting me but by February or so, I will be removing the front bull bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
Congratulations. Good review and nice photos. Wish you many more mile crunching

Ertiga is leader in the segment because of the VFM it brings on table and the peace of mind on Maruti reliability. Your Mobilio comparison of many features brought a smile to me (it seems Mobilio was engraved in your thoughts )

Agree with Dieselritzer. To my knowledge Bull bar also impacts crumbling zone in a crash. Car is designed to crumble on impact, which is severely impacted by these bars causing injury to people. Better to remove them. Drive safe.
Thanks for the wishes.
Yes I made sure I had a decent look at the Mobilio before I took the plunge. Yes mentioned above, the bull bar will be removed in 2 months or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Many Congratulations! Nice crisp review as well

The other day i was jokingly telling a friend of mine that if you remove the suzuki badge and replace it with the merc logo, ertiga would actually resemble the b class

What do you think?,Or is it just me
I guess it's just you. Thank you for the wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You will face a greater risk, if (God forbid) your car hits a human or an animal as bull bars transmit the force of impact to the colliding object unlike the bumper which is meant to absorb part of the impact. Besides, the airbag sensors mounted behind the front bumper will never sense the impact when it happens (since the bulbar is blocking the bumper completely) and will not trigger the ACU to inflate the airbags.

Think over it and decide.

Congrats on the new ride! Drive safe.
Thank you Gannu_1 ! Your Polo's review is my benchmark for all reviews. And yes I do know the risks of the front bull bar. I am going to remove it by February. Thank you for the wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Congratulations on your new car. Wishing you many happy miles!

As others have mentioned, please consider removing that bull bar. Here is a related thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3136352 (Bull bars, good or bad??)
Thanks shifu! Yes that front bull bar will be leaving soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
First of all - Congratulations on getting the Ertiga in ZDi variant plus a very beautiful shade.

You are actually harming yourself, the car and the other road users with the bull bar installed.

These bull bars are only psychological protection giving equipments and do more harm than protecting in reality.

You are inadvertantly blocking the sensors that determine the need of inflating the airbag or no, you are hampering the proper functioning of the crumple zones on the chassis which are designed to protect you and your occupants.

If only bull bars did their job, wont it be a must-have accessory in all vehicles sold all over the world as all love their ride and would love to protect from the daily nicks?!

So as Gannu_1 has said, Think and decide!

Anurag.
Thanks Anurag! Your Swift is such a beauty. Ertiga has been racking up the kms too isnt it? Yes Anurag. I fully understand the value and the cons of front bull bars and they will be removed soon.

Attached is a pic from recent drive to Shimla from Delhi.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi: Things get really LUVly-10714298_10154706142700503_4211145709398419644_o.jpg  

Last edited by kisharchit : 12th December 2014 at 17:01.
kisharchit is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 18:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Interiors:
Attachment 1316879

The air con controls are really basic and spoil the look of the interior. The rotary knobs feel really old and do not feel at one with the current century. Why on earth did Maruti Suzuki not provide the digital unit found on the 'Z' variants of the Swift and Dzire? Shouldn't be a very complicated fitment if I'm not wrong. Though the effectiveness of the AC does make up for its old looks and the AC is a real chiller and combined with rear AC, the car is always cool inside during the hottest of days.
Surprised that automatic climate contol is not provided in the ZDI Ertiga
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 19:08   #18
BHPian

Did illuminated scuff plates come factory fitted? I was planning to get them as well (the illuiminated ones) for my new elantra primarily to discourage my daughter from stepping onto the sides of the car. But when i enquired, a couple of market vendors suggested against it as the required wiring (for illumination) will likely void my warranty. So was wondering.
bhaskaracs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 19:09   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anurag! Your Swift is such a beauty. Ertiga has been racking up the kms too isnt it? Yes Anurag. I fully understand the value and the cons of front bull bars and they will be removed soon.
Good you have understood the value of bull bars.

Thanks for the praise for the Swift currently at 31K.

Ertiga has been going good - currently at 15K.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 20:07   #20
BHPian

Heartily Congratulations kisharchit for your new buy and for opting the ZDI over all the cheaper versions,
ZDI clearly has an edge over the VDI and LDI versions in regards to handling and safety of the vehicle, and would also like to appreciate your color selections, its scarce and astonishing.
The only thing which worries me and I have noticed quite often while travelling in Ertiga is the ground clearance on full load, when the car is fully loaded (7 people on board with luggage) the car belly hits the bumpers quite often, may be due to its soft suspension setup at the rear end, but still hitting bumpers at high load is painful for the car and the owner. I hope you havenít faced this issue yet ?
Slush_Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 20:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
The only thing which worries me and I have noticed quite often while travelling in Ertiga is the ground clearance on full load, when the car is fully loaded (7 people on board with luggage) the car belly hits the bumpers quite often, may be due to its soft suspension setup at the rear end, but still hitting bumpers at high load is painful for the car and the owner. I hope you haven't faced this issue yet ?
The good thing with Ertiga is LDi/VDi/ZDi ask come with ABS so 50% safety issue is solved. Airbags only on ZDi.

Regarding ground clearance issue on full load, I haven't faced any issue in 11 months. It depends on the way the car is taken over the hump.

Anurag.
Old 12th December 2014, 20:49   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Kishore and welcome to the LUVers Club !

The Ertiga is indeed a sensible choice that gives you the maximum bang for bucks. One may not call it a full time 7 Seater but by now, after driving mine for 35K kms, I have used this welcome 3rd row to seat the 5th and 6th passengers on many occasions including a couple of one day weekend drives (Minus luggage of course).

So, when there is a situation that 7 need to travel over short distances, you have the answer!!

It is only in the last 40 days that I did 3 trips to Pune and realized more and more on how the punny & dated 1.3 MJD with mere 90 horses is willingly sufficient for good highway cruising speeds. Its all about a matter of time that one easily gets adjusted to the behavior (read lag) and driving it accordingly.

I too felt that 185 Profile tires are indeed sufficient for the Ertiga. With 205 that I installed and driving it for over 20k kms, the grip levels get better, not significantly though.

I wish you all the best and Happy motoring and would love to read updates and get helpful information from your ownership thread.

Lastly, should I also add few lines of Bull bars and how having them in your car would make Airbags useless?

You know it now, so would request to get rid of it though I know you would have spent on that.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 23:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nats View Post
Surprised that automatic climate contol is not provided in the ZDI Ertiga
Yes a HUGE glaring omission!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Did illuminated scuff plates come factory fitted? I was planning to get them as well (the illuiminated ones) for my new elantra primarily to discourage my daughter from stepping onto the sides of the car. But when i enquired, a couple of market vendors suggested against it as the required wiring (for illumination) will likely void my warranty. So was wondering.
I got the illuminated scuff plates for the same very reason. it was to avoid scratches and marks on the sides of the car. And I checked with every accessory shop before getting installed. No issues. It is connected to the reading lamp and turns on only when they turn on when doors open.

Quote:
Good you have understood the value of bull bars.

Thanks for the praise for the Swift currently at 31K.

Ertiga has been going good - currently at 15K.

Anurag.
How old is your Ertiga? My Ertiga is coming upon 15K kms in couple hundred kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
Heartily Congratulations kisharchit for your new buy and for opting the ZDI over all the cheaper versions,
ZDI clearly has an edge over the VDI and LDI versions in regards to handling and safety of the vehicle, and would also like to appreciate your color selections, its scarce and astonishing.
The only thing which worries me and I have noticed quite often while travelling in Ertiga is the ground clearance on full load, when the car is fully loaded (7 people on board with luggage) the car belly hits the bumpers quite often, may be due to its soft suspension setup at the rear end, but still hitting bumpers at high load is painful for the car and the owner. I hope you havenít faced this issue yet ?
Thank you Slush_Traveller for the wishes. Nope no scraping ever. And the car has been loaded at times to the brim with people and luggage together. No issues whatsoever.

Quote:
The good thing with Ertiga is LDi/VDi/ZDi ask come with ABS so 50% safety issue is solved. Airbags only on ZDi.

Regarding ground clearance issue on full load, I haven't faced any issue in 11 months. It depends on the way the car is taken over the hump.

Anurag.
Yes, I agree with Anurag. No issues with me either in the couple months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Congratulations Kishore and welcome to the LUVers Club !

The Ertiga is indeed a sensible choice that gives you the maximum bang for bucks. One may not call it a full time 7 Seater but by now, after driving mine for 35K kms, I have used this welcome 3rd row to seat the 5th and 6th passengers on many occasions including a couple of one day weekend drives (Minus luggage of course).

So, when there is a situation that 7 need to travel over short distances, you have the answer!!

It is only in the last 40 days that I did 3 trips to Pune and realized more and more on how the punny & dated 1.3 MJD with mere 90 horses is willingly sufficient for good highway cruising speeds. Its all about a matter of time that one easily gets adjusted to the behavior (read lag) and driving it accordingly.

I too felt that 185 Profile tires are indeed sufficient for the Ertiga. With 205 that I installed and driving it for over 20k kms, the grip levels get better, not significantly though.

I wish you all the best and Happy motoring and would love to read updates and get helpful information from your ownership thread.

Lastly, should I also add few lines of Bull bars and how having them in your car would make Airbags useless?

You know it now, so would request to get rid of it though I know you would have spent on that.
Thank you Parag! Your Ertiga review is the Ertiga-Bible for all its fans and owners alike. Yes the bull bar is going to go soon. The tires will be indeed upgraded in the next phase of tire change. I am looking at flippy key conversion now after looking at yours. And maybe an armrest as well.
kisharchit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 01:31   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

How old is your Ertiga? My Ertiga is coming upon 15K kms in couple hundred kms.
Our Ertiga was bought on 01.01.2014.

It is used around 35-40 kms a day. So not much clicks on the odometer.

Anurag.
Old 13th December 2014, 02:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Its an intelligent buy. I was suggesting my friend to go for the same, we have zeroed in on the VDI.

Also I saw your car on the road one day and thought to myself why would one put "TEDE" Stickers (Not straight).

Last edited by GTO : 15th December 2014 at 16:06. Reason: Typos
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 18:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Its an intelligent buy. I was suggesting my friend to go for the same, we have zeroed in on the VDI.

Also I saw your car on the road one day and thought to myself why would one put "TEDE" Stickers (Not straight).
Haha well those stickers were put up in haste and hence little did I realize that they were slanted. Ah well something to learn for the next car.

Last edited by GTO : 15th December 2014 at 16:06. Reason: Quoted post edited
kisharchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 16:06   #27
BHPian

Congrats on the new vehicle!
I only have one concern. Won't the bullbar, which you've put in place to protect your vehicle, block the sensors of airbags? I mean, it's pretty much commonly known fact that the airbags are triggered by sensors which are places behind the front bumper. But now that you've a bullbar installed, i guess it will somehow block those sensors in the case of a front collision(heaven forbid).

Experts, could you please throw some light on this issue?

Last edited by Aditya : 15th December 2014 at 11:41. Reason: Quote not required
DeepakS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 17:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha well those stickers were put up in haste and hence little did I realize that they were slanted. Ah well something to learn for the next car.
Take them off, I would suggest. They actually look weird and also that's too many stickers on one car my friend. rest its up to you.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 18:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
Won't the bullbar, which you've put in place to protect your vehicle, block the sensors of airbags? I mean, it's pretty much commonly known fact that the airbags are triggered by sensors which are places behind the front bumper. But now that you've a bullbar installed, i guess it will somehow block those sensors in the case of a front collision (heaven forbid).
Hello buddy,

Please the below 'Quotes' where it has already been discussed (Page 1) on the issues of having the bull bar.

Quote:
You will face a greater risk, if (God forbid) your car hits a human or an animal as bull bars transmit the force of impact to the colliding object unlike the bumper which is meant to absorb part of the impact. Besides, the airbag sensors mounted behind the front bumper will never sense the impact when it happens (since the bulbar is blocking the bumper completely) and will not trigger the ACU to inflate the airbags.
Quote:
As others have mentioned, please consider removing that bull bar.
Quote:
You are actually harming yourself, the car and the other road users with the bull bar installed.

These bull bars are only psychological protection giving equipments and do more harm than protecting in reality.

You are inadvertently blocking the sensors that determine the need of inflating the airbag or no, you are hampering the proper functioning of the crumple zones on the chassis which are designed to protect you and your occupants.

If only bull bars did their job, wont it be a must-have accessory in all vehicles sold all over the world as all love their ride and would love to protect from the daily nicks?
OP has understood it is more of a harm and would be removing it soon.

Regards,
Anurag.
Old 14th December 2014, 20:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Take them off, I would suggest. They actually look weird and also that's too many stickers on one car my friend. rest its up to you.
I guess I wont touch the stickers for now. Might be adding a car to the garage so will properly add some to that.
kisharchit is offline   Reply With Quote