Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 23:40   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 42
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Had the pleasure of meeting Mrs & Mr. J.Ravi Sir. We had a nice chat in good weather & discussed XUV, Scorpio, routes & finally my Scorpio's map. There appears to be some issue.

If I don't see it resolved in few days, I will request Ravi Sir to spare few minutes at the Mahindra Dealership [on his way back] and show its infotainment system's responsiveness.
Hi sheel 1st and foremost Congratulations for the new beast and it sure does look devilish in Black . I just as well got myself a Scorpio S10 4x4 but in White (as family restricts) recently and have been enjoying the same privileges as you and facing a few problems which are being worked on. Though I have upgraded a few things in the vehicle itself mostly lights and am looking to upgrade the sound(speakers only) of the vehicle as I am not happy with the level of volume and also the quality, and also why does the volume shoot up with AVC on High and low on off? shouldn't it stay static at its original volume? i have clocked around 1250 kms so far and I have been cursing myself for not doing so earlier, please don't get me wrong i am not into the doors rocking bass culture anymore but more into crisp with right amount of bass which brings a nice smile to your face. But I have been worried about wires (cutting) and also any damage to the electronics as in the infotainment system and also the Voice alert(though i hate it). I have managed to find an ex mahindra electrician and he has assured me there will be no problems with the electronics as he will clip in the new ones with the existing ones, with 2 high low converters But am still worried about the warranty as i have opted for an extended one. When I was at the dealership accessories department i got to know that they too attach the wires similarly like the aftermarket electrician does it. So would that mean i can save my warranty? Now this is where I get confused and am lost. As you have already owned a mahindra and bought one again you would know better, as i am seriously itching to get myself those upgrades. I hope you can help me out there. Regards

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th April 2015 at 05:43. Reason: Extra smileys removed. Please limit usage to 2 smileys per post. Thanks.
Kanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 00:06   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,106
Thanked: 2,150 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Also, request you and 1100D to evaluate the 2WD and 4WD from a neutral standpoint. I am not sure of the steering response at slow speed , turning radius etc of 4WD compared to 2WD . I would assume that 2WD will score better on those ground but not sure. In no way 2WD can match 4WD to conquer tough terrains. Maybe a separate thread of the comparison might help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Steering is heavier than my 2WD VLX.
Steering on even the New 2WD is a little heavier than the older one. But offers better feedback and compliance (compared to the previous gen, on feedback front, the new gen 2WD has marginally better feel than my 4WD).

However, in the past, the better front suspension/dynamics could be a reason to choose the 4WD over the 2WD (The steering feedback though was marginally better on the 2WD but let down by bad dynamics that would not let you exploit it anyway). Its no longer the case.

But on a vehicle like the Scorpio (which generally have substantial intracity usage), I would rather have a working 4WD system than be just dependent on one end. Ironically, with every passing month, I am finding opportunity to use the 4WD to get out of situations.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 00:28   #63
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 176
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Hi Sheel,

I am planning to get a scorpio S4+ for myself and my family. I would drive the car and my parents would use the second row seats. I had a test drive today of the scorpio and felt the second row bench seats to be very uncomfortable and very hard. Are there any other options possible except getting the captain seats ? Please do help me out if you can.

Regards

Aditya
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 10:50   #64
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 3,820 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
Hi sheel 1st and foremost Congratulations for the new beast and it sure does look devilish in Black . I just as well got myself a Scorpio S10 4x4 but in White
Thanks & a big Congratulations to you as well

Quote:
why does the volume shoot up with AVC on High and low on off? shouldn't it stay static at its original volume? ex mahindra electrician and he has assured me there will be no problems with the electronics as he will clip in the new ones with the existing ones, with 2 high low converters But am still worried about the warranty as i have opted for an extended one. When I was at the dealership accessories department i got to know that they too attach the wires similarly like the aftermarket electrician does it. So would that mean i can save my warranty? Now this is where I get confused and am lost. As you have already owned a mahindra and bought one again you would know better, as i am seriously itching to get myself those upgrades. I hope you can help me out there. Regards
The music system's volume goes up and down with the speed of the vehicle. In my Scorpio, it does not go up and down with the fan speed of HVAC.

As far as up-gradation of speakers & warranty goes, it depends on the dealer/manufacturer. For the exact same work & solution done outside, Mahindra may reject your warranty. You have to cross check with your dealership on this. You may pop up excuse like, the particular brand/model is not with 'em, hence you are planning to get it done outside. Speaking with them and taking them into confidence is the only way out IMO.

And please give some space/paragraph when you compose post, it will be much easier to read :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Ironically, with every passing month, I am finding opportunity to use the 4WD to get out of situations.
Ratio for me would be 10:2. Out of every 10 times I take the Scorpio out, I have to engage the 4H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I am planning to get a scorpio S4+ for myself and my family. I would drive the car and my parents would use the second row seats. I had a test drive today of the scorpio and felt the second row bench seats to be very uncomfortable and very hard. Are there any other options possible except getting the captain seats
Hi Aditya!

Don't think of any other option except that you get the seats done up as per your liking. More padding & better contoured which an able seat maker/fitter should able to do.

In the Mahindra stable, you just might check the Xylo. It is underrated and a very comfortable MUV.

Please let me know as to how I may (further) help you with.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 11:34   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,106
Thanked: 2,150 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hi Sheel,

felt the second row bench seats to be very uncomfortable and very hard. Are there any other options possible except getting the captain seats ? Please do help me out if you can.

Regards

Aditya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi Aditya!

Don't think of any other option except that you get the seats done up as per your liking. More padding & better contoured which an able seat maker/fitter should able to do.
I am not sure about the present generation, but the previous generation Scorpio had 3 different 2nd Row configurations.

1> Captain Seats (7-seater)
2> Continuous Bench Seat (7-seater with sidefacing jump seats at the rear)
3> 30:70 Split 2nd row seat with each side reclining and individually adjustable for legroom (8 seater with front facing third row.)

I am not sure if the variant Aditya tested was the 2nd one with sidefacing jumpseats at the rear.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 11:40   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Steering on even the New 2WD is a little heavier than the older one. But offers better feedback and compliance (compared to the previous gen, on feedback front, the new gen 2WD has marginally better feel than my 4WD).

However, in the past, the better front suspension/dynamics could be a reason to choose the 4WD over the 2WD (The steering feedback though was marginally better on the 2WD but let down by bad dynamics that would not let you exploit it anyway). Its no longer the case.

But on a vehicle like the Scorpio (which generally have substantial intracity usage), I would rather have a working 4WD system than be just dependent on one end. Ironically, with every passing month, I am finding opportunity to use the 4WD to get out of situations.
@1100D Thanks for your feedback. Yes there are positive and negatives of each variant. 4WD opportunities, circuits are more in north and east India. Limited options in South of the country I guess. Also opportunities to engage 4wd in normal highway drives are high in the highway traffic condition in East part of country. This is to understand usage of 4wd in various parts of the country. I know for you region does not matter as you have scaled various parts in your 4wd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hi Sheel,

I am planning to get a scorpio S4+ for myself and my family. I would drive the car and my parents would use the second row seats. I had a test drive today of the scorpio and felt the second row bench seats to be very uncomfortable and very hard. Are there any other options possible except getting the captain seats ? Please do help me out if you can.

Regards

Aditya
@Aditya , Did you have a TD of S10 variant. As i understand there are differences in seating options. Suggest you to try the captain seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Thanks & a big Congratulations to you as well

The music system's volume goes up and down with the speed of the vehicle.
Good, some one to second my observation. This is not a marketed feature but a nice one to experience during highway rides. Even the dealers are clueless about this.
ManuMacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 12:07   #67
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 176
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Hi Aditya!

Don't think of any other option except that you get the seats done up as per your liking. More padding & better contoured which an able seat maker/fitter should able to do.

In the Mahindra stable, you just might check the Xylo. It is underrated and a very comfortable MUV.

Please let me know as to how I may (further) help you with.
Thanks a lot Sheel for the prompt reply. I will go again to take a test drive with my parents. I am not considering the Xylo but instead thinking of going in for the Ertiga ZDi. I will surely keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I am not sure about the present generation, but the previous generation Scorpio had 3 different 2nd Row configurations.

1> Captain Seats (7-seater)
2> Continuous Bench Seat (7-seater with sidefacing jump seats at the rear)
3> 30:70 Split 2nd row seat with each side reclining and individually adjustable for legroom (8 seater with front facing third row.)

I am not sure if the variant Aditya tested was the 2nd one with sidefacing jumpseats at the rear.
Sir, i tested the S10 which had a bench in the second row and not the captain seats. The last row would anyway be removed to make a space for my dog. The main concern is the second row which was extremely flat and the back angle was too upright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post


@Aditya , Did you have a TD of S10 variant. As i understand there are differences in seating options. Suggest you to try the captain seats.



Good, some one to second my observation. This is not a marketed feature but a nice one to experience during highway rides. Even the dealers are clueless about this.
Yes sir, i did test the S10 variant. I would not opt for captain seats as its not available on the S4+ and already i am exceeding my budget so cannot afford the captain seats. And even if i go for them, then the vehicle would be a strict 4 seater which i would not prefer as the last row seats would be removed for my dog. The seat back is too upright and there was absolutely no support. The cushion felt pretty hard too. This was in a brand new S4+ which i sat in though couldnt test drive it. The only feasible option i have is the ertiga where a fully loaded ZDi will cost me less than 10 lakhs.

i am upgrading from an i10 1.2 and the vehicle would be used by my parents a lot. I am totally confused as to what vehicle to get now as my heart was set on the scorpio but the comfort factor stops me from booking it as the car would stay with me for atleast 10 years.

Regards

Aditya
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 12:26   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,106
Thanked: 2,150 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Sir, i tested the S10 which had a bench in the second row and not the captain seats. The last row would anyway be removed to make a space for my dog. The main concern is the second row which was extremely flat and the back angle was too upright.
If you read my previous post carefully, you will note that apart from the captain seat variant, there are two more options for the 2nd row


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

1> Captain Seats (7-seater)
2> Continuous Bench Seat (7-seater with sidefacing jump seats at the rear)
3> 30:70 Split 2nd row seat with each side reclining and individually adjustable for legroom (8 seater with front facing third row.)
What you have in the rear section (A front facing third row or side facing Jump seats) is a determinant as to what type of 2nd row seat you got to test.

Reading your post, it appears that it was the 7-seater with a fixed bench second row (not the 30:70 Split 2nd row seat with each side reclining and individually adjustable for legroom)

Now its for you to recall which variant you got to test.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 12:40   #69
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 176
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
If you read my previous post carefully, you will note that apart from the captain seat variant, there are two more options for the 2nd row




What you have in the rear section (A front facing third row or side facing Jump seats) is a determinant as to what type of 2nd row seat you got to test.

Reading your post, it appears that it was the 7-seater with a fixed bench second row (not the 30:70 Split 2nd row seat with each side reclining and individually adjustable for legroom)

Now its for you to recall which variant you got to test.
Sir, there are only two options available in regards with the seating options on the S4+.

1. 7 seater - Continuous Bench Seat (7-seater with sidefacing jump seats at the rear)

2. 9 seater - Similar to above , only the jump seats are a bit longer to fit two more people.

The car i sat and drove had the 7 seater continuous bench configuration. Lastly, no reclining or sliding options are available on the S4+ as per the showroom i contacted.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 14:33   #70
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 3,820 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
.
The car i sat and drove had the 7 seater continuous bench configuration. Lastly, no reclining or sliding options are available on the S4+ as per the showroom i contacted.
Yup, there is neither. You want a 5 seater or want more seats? If 5 seats is what you want, you may very well go ahead with a Duster.

I do not think you can make the seats more comfortable just by adding more foam. I mean, the padding, contours have to be at the right place.

And when I recall your first post on this thread, you mention about the seat being hard, that can be taken care of, but very uncomfortable? Was it seats? Which other car's seats were more comfortable? I mean, that much more. Then we can have a benchmark to begin with.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 15:42   #71
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 176
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yup, there is neither. You want a 5 seater or want more seats? If 5 seats is what you want, you may very well go ahead with a Duster.

I do not think you can make the seats more comfortable just by adding more foam. I mean, the padding, contours have to be at the right place.

And when I recall your first post on this thread, you mention about the seat being hard, that can be taken care of, but very uncomfortable? Was it seats? Which other car's seats were more comfortable? I mean, that much more. Then we can have a benchmark to begin with.

Yes sheel, they were uncomfortable. Might be a problem with that particular vehicle I sat on. Anyway I just came back from test driving the ertiga. Fantastic vehicle, loads of space and very comfortable seats I guess my dreams of owning a Scorpio will have to wait. After all, the comfort for my parents matters the most. I guess ertiga it is. Thanks a lot guys.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 14:20   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The 2WD is noticeably peppier despite having 6 guys on board. Yes, I could feel it.
@Sheel , I have been thinking of this and probably the new front Hub arrangement could be damping the peppiness. I have not found significant change in response after first service.

Maybe 1100D can help to understand this. As I understand , old 4wd auto locking hubs arrangement does not drive the front wheel unless engaged which is different in new model. In new model the axles and wheels are locked and rotating though not powered. This can eat up some of the power !!!

Last edited by ManuMacher : 16th April 2015 at 14:25. Reason: corrections of statement.
ManuMacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2015, 09:27   #73
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 3,820 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quite a lot of stuff happened in the past 2 weeks. Multiple 400 kilometers drive were to be made, meant to be shared between the 2WD Vlx & the 4WD S10. One drive later, I just didn't want to drive or sit in the Vlx for extended periods because of the nauseating feel and or the lack of high speed confidence. Yes, with more kilometers under the belt, the ride of this 4WD S10 stays as a revelation for many, a few of them being Scorpio owners. Maybe a 2WD S10 would have been a fair comparison.

On one of those high speed runs [engine not switched off for more than 350kms] this picture emerged. ENGINE led lit up. [This picture is taken at a later stage] Name:  IMG20150427WA0008.jpeg
Views: 4834
Size:  35.0 KB
I panicked, being a hot afternoon and with family. Called up the dealer, he suggested to get it checked from the nearest SVC available. But luckily, the lamp went off.

The service was approaching and I took the Scorpio to the dealership for its periodic service and to sort out this issue. Routine service was carried out. This issue [issue P0299 as per OBD] popped up and the technician said that it has been attended. The service amount came to Rs. 24xx

I was routinely driving back [for close to 2 weeks, some family affair] from one home to another at ~11pm at night and going back again at 7-8am. The ENGINE lamp glowed again. After getting an earful from the dealer, the technician and the SM asked me to bring the car to the SVC. The same error popped up again.

Name:  IMG_20150423_103946.jpg
Views: 4809
Size:  76.1 KB

There were some issues in boost pressure. There are two of them in the car, both were changed.

Name:  IMG_20150429_115719.jpg
Views: 4776
Size:  52.2 KB

Did close to 500 kilometers yesterday in all sorts of driving conditions and it appears that the issue has been resolved.

And this is where the Scorpio 4WD shines. Was held up at Dalkola, a small opening between trucks, engaged 4H and crossed the divider to the other left of the road [service road] The place where the suspension joins the chassis scraped a bit, but it is superficial and the car was loaded, so it is acceptable. The beauty of ladder on frames is when the Government/NHAI just patches up the road instead of a thorough work and you just go through it with slight bob & pitch and tire noise.

The engine is bedding in nicely and humming along. Fuel economy inside traffic infested places or bad roads is poor. Maybe 11-12 kmpl. Same is when you go over the 100kmph mark. But keep it at 80-90 kmph and the MID will start showing 15+ kilometers to a liter.

No regrets with the purchase, just that Mahindra needs to keep an eye on QC and the technicians/service managers/mechanics should look forward to resolve an issue for once and for all and not do trial and error.

And a picture of the beauty or the beast, you decide
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd May 2015 at 09:56.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 09:48   #74
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 3,820 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

This is the part which made contact with the divider [at part, the edges were broken & were sharp]

Name:  IMG_20150504_093334.jpg
Views: 4768
Size:  61.7 KB

So, don't go by the specification which Mahindra provides for the Scorpio's ground clearance. The GC is generous.

BTW, browsing through Scorpio's official website and I don't think I came across the GC mentioned anywhere.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 18:53   #75
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 3,820 Times
Default Re: My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Have managed to discover few features which were not there in XUV as far as I know and is present in the Scorpio. These changes might [a speculation] be incorporated in the new XUV.

1. One touch down & one touch up driver side window.
2. Infotainment system shows the tire pressure as well as temperature. Unsure if XUV displayed tire temperature.
3. You can change radio channels via the steering mounted audio controls.
And finally,
4. The infotainment system shows fuel economy figures higher than 18 kilometers to a liter.

Name:  IMG_20150517_160159.jpg
Views: 6539
Size:  56.5 KB

XUV's Navigation is intuitive to use and there are few colors present, not so in Scorpio.

But Scorpio displays speed in digits, the longitude/latitude as well as compass. Dunno if these are there in the XUV.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra launches Scorpio Getaway 4X4 double cab rahul_intlad The Indian Car Scene 109 28th July 2016 10:06
The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar desertfox 4x4 Vehicles 111 24th January 2016 01:10
Mahindra Scorpio Automatic (AT) 4x4 with Airbags ajitkumarlb Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 1st September 2014 12:33
Mahindra Scorpio SLE 4X4 launched? EDIT : Nope akshay4587 The Indian Car Scene 32 10th April 2013 11:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks