Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd August 2015, 02:25   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
Deepak, What should I say or express?
After reading your message on my Whatsapp, I logged-in to team-bhp just thinking what was the shocking discovery. Truly it was a shocking discovery to know about the previous accident. I regret sharing you the car sale link on internet in November 2014..
Hey come on man, don't you consider yourself guilty. I still thank you from the bottom of my heart. It is still a wonderful car. If not for today's discovery, I would have never known in my entire life that this car has undergone a major surgery.

Quote:
But per my experience and after driving your car before the bearing replacement, it appears that the work is carried out thoroughly. if you consider that you have almost run 16k kms, without any major issue except for the bearings.
Absolutely, I have no complaints about the car. I am having a dream run in the car especially after the two bearing replacements. It is butter smooth and whoever has sat in my car has been all praises.

Quote:
DSK has a strong workforce to get the things running.
True. They have done so impeccable work that even in wildest of my dreams, I would have never imagined that the car has undergone the knife.

Quote:
What really worries me is that if the chassis was replaced and registered onto your RC under same name, then there should have been a mention on the RC.
Strangely there is no mention of the old chassis number on the previous RC card. Sure we can meet on Saturday and can discuss further on this issue.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 09:15   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Deepak, What should I say or express?
After reading your message on my Whatsapp, I logged-in to team-bhp just thinking what was the shocking discovery. Truly it was a shocking discovery to know about the previous accident. I regret sharing you the car sale link on internet in November 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
don't you consider yourself guilty.
That's the spirit Deepak and Shahbaaz.

Quote:
you have almost run 16k kms, without any major issue except for the bearings.
Thats a decent running to know somethings or other about the car.
Also if we can trace back the accident, makes sense to understand what and when exactly this thing happened, was it taken up under insurance or not. Just to get some concrete information.

If it was indeed covered under insurance, you are running at 25% NCB which should mean the accident should have happened in 2012-13, that is too far back. If so, does not look like a case of accident and immediate sell, as others too have said earlier. Additionally, Rs 5.69 L is a huge amount to dole out on own and best taken care in insurance, whoever it may to be.

All things do raise curiosity as to what exactly happened, transpired and why was it not told at all. Though, don't take anything in negativity but all in positive curiosity.

Quote:
Strangely there is no mention of the old chassis number on the previous RC card. Sure we can meet on Saturday and can discuss further on this issue.
That is strange. How is it so? Curious if the RC was lost, re-made after chassis replacement only? Any dates of RC issuance may throw some light on the same.

Last edited by parsh : 22nd August 2015 at 09:17.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 09:38   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely, I have no complaints about the car. I am having a dream run in the car especially after the two bearing replacements. It is butter smooth and whoever has sat in my car has been all praises.
I was following your moves from the day you were comparing the choice of buying a new Ertiga and a used Innova. Was even happy when you found this car seeing its condition. Though this news is shocking, I think you shouldn't worry, and forget the whole thing. Looking at the whole situation optimistically,

1. You should be relieved that the car was attended to by an authorized dealer and not a jugaad garage to get it back to shape.
2. Most of the components are replaced instead of repaired. A person who wants to save money would have got this repaired in a horrible manner at some roadside garage. They would have straightened the chassis, tinkered the fenders and other parts and this would have compromised the whole structure. Instead, they have replaced everything they can.
3. The car is running fine without issues, that itself is an indicator of a good job being done.

Hence, once you sort out the issue with the keys, I guess you should just forget the whole thing and drive as if nothing happened to the car. You are definitely in a better position compared to getting cheated with a car that has been repaired in a crude manner. If at all there would be an issue arising out of the chassis replacement and other works, it will be just some minor niggles and some creaks here and there. Since you don't have any issues, forget the whole thing and continue looking at the car like before.

Afterall, the car is a rugged workhorse and it can stand a lot of abuse, without giving up. So put all your worries in the shelf.
audioholic is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 10:28   #304
BHPian

Hello AutoIndian,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. It is experiences like these which deter people from buying used cars. Although your thread clearly shows that your car has been performing really well. But a lie is a lie. You need to get in touch with the previous owner and ask him about this whole incident. Most importantly get the 4-Digit code from him.

Get rid of the car if you find it uncomfortable after knowing the incident. There is nothing more important than peace of mind and family's safety. On the other hand i suggest you retain it till the launch dates of the New 2016 Innova are out. That would be the best time for you to get rid of this car and upgrade to the New Innova.

I can clearly see that you have taken this well. Kudos to your spirit.

All The Best

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 13:18   #305
Senior - BHPian

This is very sad news. I was also like many others a keen follower of your thread and you have kept me glued with constant updates. Its like being punched in the stomach, one of my Colleagues at work wanted you to check if there was any death in the accident. A chassis and roof replacement means a pretty bad accident, I don't know how you are going to break this news to your family. With you all the way, and may the best things in life happen to you
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 13:18   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
That's the spirit Deepak and Shahbaaz.
Thank you parsh.

Quote:
Also if we can trace back the accident, makes sense to understand what and when exactly this thing happened, was it taken up under insurance or not. Just to get some concrete information.
I have already dropped a mail to the previous owner, hoping to hear from him soon.

Quote:
All things do raise curiosity as to what exactly happened, transpired and why was it not told at all. Though, don't take anything in negativity but all in positive curiosity.
The obvious reason one can think of is, he might be afraid that there would be a big hit on the resale value. Worst case car would not have got sold at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I was following your moves from the day you were comparing the choice of buying a new Ertiga and a used Innova. Was even happy when you found this car seeing its condition.
Yes indeed, it was a very long hunt for me (10 months to be precise) and when I got hold of this car it was like a dream come true (until I came to know the hard facts yesterday.)

Quote:
Though this news is shocking, I think you shouldn't worry, and forget the whole thing. Looking at the whole situation optimistically
I have already overcome it. Since the car is perfectly fine, I won't ponder over it much now. Only one thing hurts the most, just to get benefit of few thousand bucks, why people breach the trust. This is a bitter pill to swallow.

Quote:
Afterall, the car is a rugged workhorse and it can stand a lot of abuse, without giving up. So put all your worries in the shelf.
+1 to that. I will continue driving and enjoying the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Hello AutoIndian,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. It is experiences like these which deter people from buying used cars. Although your thread clearly shows that your car has been performing really well. But a lie is a lie. You need to get in touch with the previous owner and ask him about this whole incident. Most importantly get the 4-Digit code from him.
I am following up with the previous owner and hoping for a positive outcome. I had thought of visiting his home today, but deferred it. Have dropped a mail, will give a call to him tomorrow and if required will visit him.

Quote:
Get rid of the car if you find it uncomfortable after knowing the incident. There is nothing more important than peace of mind and family's safety. On the other hand i suggest you retain it till the launch dates of the New 2016 Innova are out. That would be the best time for you to get rid of this car and upgrade to the New Innova.
I would anyday prefer the second option, retain this car till the new 2016 Innova is launched. I could have easily bought a new Innova with 100% down payment in the first place. But knowing well that the 2016, all new Innova with 50% more power and 100% more torque (an extra gear as well) is coming, I didn't want to block my money in a new car, which would soon become outdated. Hence I was hunting for a good preworshipped Innova, which would serve me in the interim.

Quote:
I can clearly see that you have taken this well. Kudos to your spirit. All The Best Asit
Thank you Asit for your compliments and wishes.
Old 22nd August 2015, 15:53   #307
BANNED

Sorry to hear about this but was curious as to how much do you plan to disclose when you sell the car?
kumar2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 16:47   #308
BHPian

@AutoIndia
A Chassis replacement is always mentioned in the RC, and the RC shows Registered against BT/BTI instead of registered against Form 20 at the top.
You do not have to be worried about the chassis replacement at all, but the roof replacement is something that I consider as worrying, If it was an monocoque vehicle, I'd have suggested get rid as soon as possible. But in a chassis on body design, the roof is not structure member.
As we both are Pune residents let me see your car sometime, and we will also talk to an advisory in DSK that I know well. Some years back I had also experienced an Accident with my Innova, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3774234 this post will tll you some thing of it.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 17:41   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Sorry to hear about this but was curious as to how much do you plan to disclose when you sell the car?
Well once I get the documentary proof from the service centre about the accidental repairs carried out and I am convinced, I won't have any hesitation in disclosing to any prospective buyer. If I decide to trade in this car for a new 2016 Innova, then I will sell it to Toyota U-Trust itself (provided they offer a decent price). In that case I won't be required to share any details as the whole service history is already available with the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
@AutoIndia
A Chassis replacement is always mentioned in the RC, and the RC shows Registered against BT/BTI instead of registered against Form 20 at the top.
You do not have to be worried about the chassis replacement at all, but the roof replacement is something that I consider as worrying, If it was an monocoque vehicle, I'd have suggested get rid as soon as possible. But in a chassis on body design, the roof is not structure member.
Thank you for those inputs Rahul. What is BT/BTI? May be we can talk for me to understand this better.

Quote:
As we both are Pune residents let me see your car sometime, and we will also talk to an advisory in DSK that I know well. Some years back I had also experienced an Accident with my Innova, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3774234 this post will tll you some thing of it.

Rahul
Sure we can meet up some time. I have gone through that post of yours and you have shared very useful info there.
Old 23rd August 2015, 13:49   #310
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for those inputs Rahul. What is BT/BTI? May be we can talk for me to understand this better.
To my knowledge Form BT is declaration of intent alteration of motor vehicle , and BTI is registration of the modification.

Rahul
Old 23rd August 2015, 17:04   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To my knowledge Form BT is declaration of intent alteration of motor vehicle , and BTI is registration of the modification.

Rahul
Hello Rahul, I checked it twice, there is no such thing mentioned on the previous RC card. So the RC card has neither the declaration of intent of modification nor the registration of modification. The RC card bears the current chassis number only.

My good friend and TBHPian Shahbaaz visited my home this afternoon. He had a close look at the car and observed that the front windshield, right front quarter glass, driver side window glass all have year 2009 stamped on it. This for a 2008 year manufactured car clearly shows that these were replaced later. All this while I was wondering why only the left side windows have sunfilms and none on right hand side. Now the reason is crystal clear to me.

Shahbaaz took a longish test drive. He didn't observe any serious issues or noises in the car. One very minor "chik", "chik" sound comes from LHS A pillar, when the car goes over a rough patch, but its hardly intrusive. He observed that when the hands are taken off from the steering wheel, there is a very minor veering towards the right hand side. I think this has happened after i did the wheel alignment recently. Will have to keep a close watch on the tyre wear.overall I don't think there is much to worry about as of now.

Meanwhile I called my service advisor and asked him to email me the repair history. He said the customer exec is looking into it and will take a call tomorrow. If I don't get the desired response in the next few days, I will have to escalate it. I being the second owner of the car have full rights to know the car's complete service history.
Old 23rd August 2015, 18:49   #312
BHPian

I don't doubt repair work carried out by DSK Toyota, or see any risk from a completely new Chassis. What I find scary is that there are large no of Innovas, Scorpios and Fortuners with outside repairs where bent or damaged chassis have been straightened by heating and pulling with chain pulleys and jacks.

When my car had faced an Accident, I wanted the chassis replaced, but insurance surveyor had asked for it to be inspected with new suspension components on the wheel alignment pit, and as all figures were correct, and none of the body engine or suspension mounting points had mis-aligned he had refused a new chassis.

Rahul
Old 23rd August 2015, 20:32   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think there is much to worry about as of now.
Keep up your confidence. I too don't think it will much to worry from work quality, stability and reliability perspectives.

Quote:
Meanwhile I called my service advisor and asked him to email me the repair history. He said the customer exec is looking into it and will take a call tomorrow. If I don't get the desired response in the next few days, I will have to escalate it. I being the second owner of the car have full rights to know the car's complete service history.
Absolutely, all history should be your ownership now. They have no case denying it, unless they are just asking time for process modalities and authorizations from superior.

Quote:
When my car had faced an Accident, I wanted the chassis replaced, but insurance surveyor had asked for it to be inspected with new suspension components on the wheel alignment pit, and as all figures were correct, and none of the body engine or suspension mounting points had mis-aligned he had refused a new chassis.
Chassis replacement is a big thing, critical decision, and nobody would take such, unless it is warranted as a must either due to severe damage, inability to re-align precisely or even repair a core part of the chassis due to any such damage.

Although the chassis is so to say indivisible piece, there are a few cross-members in the Innova chassis and must be in any such chassis, which can be precisely removed and replaced (re-welded) at dealership workshop. Quite a few Toyota workshops have complete machinery semi/full automated that can do such tasks and it is pretty neat. So they would not replace it unless any core part damage warrants it, is damaged beyond precise repair. I have seen Fortuner and Innova chassis being repaired up close at the Toyota workshops.

Deepak can be rest assured with new chassis he is riding as good as a new car.

Shahbaaz, if you are reading this,
I happened to check about fogs with 2 resources here. They are quoting 3500-3800, which is fair. However, I know one source which I am certain about information, he is quoting but saying the EUSE Taiwan ones I am referring to are not coming in presently and out of stock, but other non-EUSE ones are there which cost 2800. I am not sure of them. The other resource I am yet to check personally which ones he is talking about. Will let you know asa I check it. However, have you checked with Poona Motors, Camp, M G Road for these? Chauhan brothers are nice chaps as per my interaction years back, should be able to help you with availability of proper ones and better rates, hopefully.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 23:34   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
:
Shahbaaz, if you are reading this,
I happened to check about fogs with 2 resources here. They are quoting 3500-3800, which is fair. However, I know one source which I am certain about information, he is quoting but saying the EUSE Taiwan ones I am referring to are not coming in presently and out of stock, but other non-EUSE ones are there which cost 2800. I am not sure of them. The other resource I am yet to check personally which ones he is talking about. Will let you know asa I check it. However, have you checked with Poona Motors, Camp, M G Road for these? Chauhan brothers are nice chaps as per my interaction years back, should be able to help you with availability of proper ones and better rates, hopefully.
Parsh, thanks for the concern and to provide the information. Due to work load, I have not yet checked the fogs in PMC area. Will try in nanapeth as Deepak asked me to.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 13:51   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile I called my service advisor and asked him to email me the repair history. He said the customer exec is looking into it and will take a call tomorrow.
Hello Friends, an update from my side. DSK Toyota has responded to my request mail sent on 22nd to provide the car's service history. They asked me to submit the below two documents of my vehicle

1.) RC Copy (Smart Card).

2.) Insurance Copy.

Though I had earlier given the RC copy I have again sent it to them. Incidentally I had renewed the insurance in Feb-2105. One discrepancy I noticed though on the insurance is that it still carries the old chassis number. When the insurance might have been renewed after the accident repairs and chassis replacement, it should have carried the new chassis number, isn't it? What could be the reason of new chassis number not appearing on the renewed insurance, any idea ?
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote