Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2015, 21:15   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,365
Thanked: 517 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD: 3 month update

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Emergency Brake Assist: I have had three occasions on which the auto safety brake has swung into action. Needless to say all useful moments for intervention. All were in relatively slow traffic with some one else trying suddenly to cut in front. But now I know it works. The braking is jarring and each time left me wondering for a moment.
Hope this wont lead to someone rear ending! What lights do come on when auto brakes are applied to warn the car behind?
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 21:29   #62
BHPian
 
jfxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 725
Thanked: 1,114 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD: 3 month update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Hope this wont lead to someone rear ending! What lights do come on when auto brakes are applied to warn the car behind?
The usual brake lights comes on in the normal city speeds.
i have had a motor bike touch by rear bumper once when the car braked because of the vehicle in front stopping suddenly. I kind of offset the same by setting the warning distance to "long" instead of "normal" so that I can brake a bit earlier.
The flashing emergency brake lights happen only if ABS comes on and the speed of the car is above 50 km/hr & it changes to normal steady brake lights when the speed drops to 10 km/hr. During the emerg. brake light activation, hazard blinkers are also activated. The hazard lights go off when you press accelerator pedal or if you press the hazard light button.

Last edited by jfxavier : 11th April 2015 at 21:31.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 09:11   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 753
Thanked: 3,344 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD: 3 month update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Hope this wont lead to someone rear ending!
Normally it should not create a situation of rear ending because the safety system is merely doing what you should have done and if it senses that the object (ie the other vehicle) is too close and there is no sign of you pressing or playing with the brake pedal only then it comes in to play. So far example if you are in fast moving traffic above 50 kmph it cuts out. It is a smart system and so far has not done anything daft.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 12:25   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,365
Thanked: 517 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD: 3 month update

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Normally it should not create a situation of rear ending because the safety system is merely doing what you should have done and if it senses that the object (ie the other vehicle) is too close and there is no sign of you pressing or playing with the brake pedal only then it comes in to play. So far example if you are in fast moving traffic above 50 kmph it cuts out. It is a smart system and so far has not done anything daft.
That is true. But with humans, we tend to be careful about the drivers behind, and try to tap the brake to bring the brake lights on before actually applying it. But with real emergency situation, we may just slam the brake.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 21:16   #65
BHPian
 
jfxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 725
Thanked: 1,114 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD: 3 month update

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Normally it should not create a situation of rear ending because the safety system is merely doing what you should have done and if it senses that the object (ie the other vehicle) is too close and there is no sign of you pressing or playing with the brake pedal only then it comes in to play. So far example if you are in fast moving traffic above 50 kmph it cuts out. It is a smart system and so far has not done anything daft.
City safety is designed for use in slow moving traffic & in city traffic where you can be distracted.
As I understand, at speeds above 50 km/hr "city safety" will not avoid contact, but will reduce the intensity of impact. It is automatically turned off below 4 km/hr. It will avoid contact in moving traffic as well if the difference in the speed with the vehicle in front is between 4 - 15 km/hr.
The system is designed to intervene only at the last possible moment so that the driver is not disturbed.
Another option which is available for S60 (Not sure if it is available for XC60. You will know better) is the "Collision warning & Pedestrian detection with Auto Brake" which complements the "City Safety" system nicely.

For higher speeds and for highway use, the Adaptive cruise control with distance alert is relevant.
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 21:57   #66
BHPian
 
psispace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kochi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD: 3 month update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
That is true. But with humans, we tend to be careful about the drivers behind, and try to tap the brake to bring the brake lights on before actually applying it. But with real emergency situation, we may just slam the brake.
So far I have not had any serious rear endings after City Safety Full Auto Braking (Touch Wood). Just small nudges from bikes which left no marks on the bumper.

Getting rear ended is an issue in panic breaking anyway. Like jfxavier mentioned, you can adjust the warning distance (audio visual warning) to a longer setting. This can give you enough distance to slow down gradually.
I had tried this initially, but found the alarm to be very pessimistic. I ended up putting my foot on the brake earlier just to keep it from making its racket. I put it back to its lowest setting subsequently.(Maybe thats' why it got pissed off and 'shut up' on me earlier)

All said and done, this system is indeed useful. It intervenes only at the very last moment when you don't respond to its audio and visual warnings. Like I mentioned in my review, it has saved me on quite a number of occasions which may have otherwise caused significant damage. (human and mechanical). Better to get rear ended than suffer a severe front end damage which can in turn be more expensive.

It definitely isn't fool proof. One of my drivers pressed the accelerator in panic when it auto braked and he ended up nudging the car in front of him

As you drive the car more, you will adjust your driving style to its systems. So no worries.
psispace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 10:23   #67
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Montreal, CA
Posts: 121
Thanked: 28 Times
Default re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 30,000 km update

It's there a noticeable power difference between the D4 and the D5? I'm sure you guys have driven born the cats below the purchase. The D4's have the newer engines and transmissions, so I'm curious if the power delivery is as noticeable compared to the D4.
sweetvar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 19:34   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 753
Thanked: 3,344 Times
Default re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 30,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
As you drive the car more, you will adjust your driving style to its systems. So no worries.
Absolutely. With time our style adjusts to these features. In the mid-1980s we heard of cases of Ambassador's and Padmini's rear ending the then modern M800 because the M800 had modern effective brakes. Then over the years that tendency faded away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
It's there a noticeable power difference between the D4 and the D5?
Sorry, I don't know the answer. Didn't drive the D4. But I would say that its driving and pull must be a pleasure because that is the way Volvo seem to design their cars. Go give it a try and share your experience with us all.
V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 22:22   #69
BHPian
 
psispace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kochi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 261 Times
Default re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 30,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
It's there a noticeable power difference between the D4 and the D5? I'm sure you guys have driven born the cats below the purchase. The D4's have the newer engines and transmissions, so I'm curious if the power delivery is as noticeable compared to the D4.
As you might already know;
D4 is 4 cylinder 181 bhp, 400 NM (1750 - 2500 RPM) 8 speed AT
D5 is 5 cylinder 215 bhp, 440 NM (1500 - 3000 RPM) 6 speed AT

I have a driven a colleagues XC60 D4 with 8 speed AT. Although its not a fair comparison to my S60 D5, the differences I noticed are;

1. D4 is more quite at lower speeds (<60kmph) (Didn't drive on highway)
2. Acceleration is more linear in the D4.
3. As power in D5 comes in surges, it takes some getting used to during city driving.
4. Didn't notice any performance difference in city. Auto reviews give 0.2 sec difference in 0 - 100 runs and 20kmph higher top speed - in favour of D5.
On our roads, these figures are just academic.
5. The new gearbox is definitely smoother as it has more ratios (8).

If you are buying XC60 and you want AWD, then D5 is your only option.
With the S60, if you are an enthusiastic driver, you may find the D4 lacking on the highway. Here, above 80 kmph, the additional power and torque can make a difference. Otherwise, D4 is more than enough and you can even save a lot of money with this option.
That said, the D4 is the relatively future proof engine. The 5 cylinder engine is planned to be phased out in the coming years. The D5 nomenclature will be
retained for the same 4 cylinder engine in a higher state of tune.

Right now if its X60 - its just a choice between AWD and FWD
Its only with the S60 that you have to make a choice with the engine option.

Personally, I would still prefer the D5 for the additional torque and power. You never know when you may need it on the highway. Additionally, at present, the Polestar upgrade package is available only for D5 engines (Just in case you start feeling 215bhp is not enough).

I would recommend you test drive both versions personally (if available). Include both city and highway in your driving. Rev both the engines to get a feel of the noise and acceleration. In the end, its how you feel that matters.
psispace is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 01:19   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Montreal, CA
Posts: 121
Thanked: 28 Times
Default re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 30,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Absolutely. With time our style adjusts to these features. In the mid-1980s we heard of cases of Ambassador's and Padmini's rear ending the then modern M800 because the M800 had modern effective brakes. Then over the years that tendency faded away.



Sorry, I don't know the answer. Didn't drive the D4. But I would say that its driving and pull must be a pleasure because that is the way Volvo seem to design their cars. Go give it a try and share your experience with us all.
I'm debating between the two, hence the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
As you might already know;
D4 is 4 cylinder 181 bhp, 400 NM (1750 - 2500 RPM) 8 speed AT
D5 is 5 cylinder 215 bhp, 440 NM (1500 - 3000 RPM) 6 speed AT

I have a driven a colleagues XC60 D4 with 8 speed AT. Although its not a fair comparison to my S60 D5, the differences I noticed are;

1. D4 is more quite at lower speeds (<60kmph) (Didn't drive on highway)
2. Acceleration is more linear in the D4.
3. As power in D5 comes in surges, it takes some getting used to during city driving.
4. Didn't notice any performance difference in city. Auto reviews give 0.2 sec difference in 0 - 100 runs and 20kmph higher top speed - in favour of D5.
On our roads, these figures are just academic.
5. The new gearbox is definitely smoother as it has more ratios (8).

If you are buying XC60 and you want AWD, then D5 is your only option.
With the S60, if you are an enthusiastic driver, you may find the D4 lacking on the highway. Here, above 80 kmph, the additional power and torque can make a difference. Otherwise, D4 is more than enough and you can even save a lot of money with this option.
That said, the D4 is the relatively future proof engine. The 5 cylinder engine is planned to be phased out in the coming years. The D5 nomenclature will be
retained for the same 4 cylinder engine in a higher state of tune.

Right now if its X60 - its just a choice between AWD and FWD
Its only with the S60 that you have to make a choice with the engine option.

Personally, I would still prefer the D5 for the additional torque and power. You never know when you may need it on the highway. Additionally, at present, the Polestar upgrade package is available only for D5 engines (Just in case you start feeling 215bhp is not enough).

I would recommend you test drive both versions personally (if available). Include both city and highway in your driving. Rev both the engines to get a feel of the noise and acceleration. In the end, its how you feel that matters.
Thank you for the great write up, lots of good advice in there. I can't seem to get hold of a D5 in my town, hence all the questions. May be i will check it out when I travel and can get my hands on one of them.

If I'm going for the S60, it would be the D5 considering I'm going purely for the enthusiast purposes. If it is the XC 60, I'm debating because, it is a family car and I'm wondering if the power difference is worth the extra price you pay for it.
sweetvar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 15:02   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 753
Thanked: 3,344 Times
Default re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 30,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
If it is the XC 60, I'm debating because, it is a family car and I'm wondering if the power difference is worth the extra price you pay for it.
If it is the XC60 go for the D4 version with the 8 speed gear box. Smoother shifts, better acceleration. If the family is going to be travelling the horsepower should be more than enough. Cars these days are over powered in any case. Think of the Premier Padmini with its 44 bhp or the Standard Herald with 39bhp - I drove both for a long time Look forward to finding out what you purchase finally. Best regards, Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 12:15   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,318
Thanked: 782 Times
Default re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 30,000 km update

Here's something to ponder:

The Volvo XC60 R-Design. Only qualm about it is the lack of AWD. Styling is a notch above the regular XC60. I quite like it. Comes in Blue and Red as well which should make it look even better. Hope its the polestar blue.

A major upgrade over the outgoing 2.0-litre engine is the new Drive-E 2.0-litre mill. This XC60 develops 183.5PS of power and 400Nm of torque, about 18PS more than the outgoing engine but the same amount of torque.
Attached Images
   
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 21:45   #73
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 753
Thanked: 3,344 Times
Default re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 30,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Here's something to ponder:

The Volvo XC60 R-Design. Only qualm about it is the lack of AWD. Styling is a notch above the regular XC60. I quite like it. Comes in Blue and Red as well which should make it look even better. Hope its the polestar blue.
Fullrevs, please could you share photos of the interiors of the R-Design. I would be interested in seeing it. Thanks. Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 17:17   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,318
Thanked: 782 Times
Default re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 30,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Fullrevs, please could you share photos of the interiors of the R-Design. I would be interested in seeing it. Thanks. Narayan
Here you go, i quite like the all black and chrome striped interiors. Those seats look super supportive as well:
Attached Images
   
Fullrevs is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 21:10   #75
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 753
Thanked: 3,344 Times
Default re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 30,000 km update

I am as happy as a panda bear today. The old girl clocked 5000 kms. Running smooth as silk and being thoroughly spoilt by me. I love driving her so much that all others have been forbidden from taking her out. My wife talks to her plants and I talk to my Volvo. The air conditioning is holding up very well in north India's summer. I'll share a full report at 10,000 kms and the first service which should be around October'15
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 30,000 km update-img00014201505241214.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volvo recalling 7,000 diesel cars (including S60 & XC60) for engine stalling problem cbatrody The International Automotive Scene 0 21st February 2016 19:59
My 2014 Volvo XC60 D5 Summum AWD trailblazin Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 42 11th February 2015 13:43
Volvo S60 & XC60 : Cheaper variants. EDIT : S60 now starts at 23.90 lakh & D3 engine .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 74 16th August 2014 21:53
Volvo S60 "HOT" and XC60 are coming. EDIT : XC60 launched at 39.50 lakhs ajai_dev The Indian Car Scene 56 19th January 2011 10:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks