Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st April 2015, 21:33   #16
BANNED

Default Re: Stepping into luxury: Our new BMW X1

Dear Higgs_Boson_i, the rear space in both the vehicles is not on par with say Audi Q3 or the Honda CRV . From my point of view , it's a compromised stuff and where the fifth adult is concerned , I will say that just forget it . The transmission tunnel spoils the party here and he wont find himself in any kind of comfortable position whatsoever .
quattroa4 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 07:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
1. in terms of Seating 5 adults both 3 Series as well as the X1 seem to have the same floor area. in fact the Floor mats of the 3 series are interchangeable with those of the X1

2. It is comfortable to seat 5 healthy Adults. not the ones who would need to go in for weight management.

3. the rear seat comfort on the X1 is a bit hard as compared to that of the Q3, Yeti and the like. One is due to the Run Flats and the stiffer suspension.

4. The X1 is cheaper since the Platform was introduced in 2009 and the facelift is due i Guess somewhere around June this year. the 320 updated platform was released in 2012 if i remember well. so probably this is the reason. also the 320 Sportline has a Sport+ Mode and a roller sun blind for the rear window. and yes someone just called me up to point out that the X1 has 'sensatec seats' which are actually synthetic leather and the 320 has natural leather seats and also comes with a Spare wheel. apart from that i haven't found any major differences between the X1 Sportline and 320D sportline variants

you can do a compare yourself with the attached spec sheets anyone game to play spot the difference ?

BMW 3 Series --- > Attachment 1363131

BMW X1 ----- > Attachment 1363132
Firstly Congrats Zombie driver for bringing home an X1. Its a great piece of machine for self driving folks.

Coming to some of the queries on space raised, X1 is NOT for 5 people. Its a essentially a 4 Seater with maybe a child seated as 5th in rear seat as there is a huge transmission tunnel running from front to back which leaves no leg room for the middle seat in the rear row.
Secondly, compared to 3 Series, the floor area may be same but the headroom is far better and gives a far more airy and spacious feeling. This was told to me by my colleague who regularly used the rear seat of 3 Series.
Thirdly, the GC is very good for X1 that you can drive over most of the speed breakers and potholes without scraping. This was the single biggest reason why i chose it over 3 Series.
Lastly, all the BMW cars run on RFTs and therefore none of them have spare wheels so above info of 3 Series having a spare is incorrect.
So either you can go for a donut or a second hand Rim with tubeless as a spare or you can also keep a pump to inflate the air in the tyre and drive till you find a puncture repair shop if you do not do long highway runs.

Yes X1 is cheaper than 3 Series any day as they are clearing old stocks and new version is yet to be launched. So you can negotiate well. In fact I got a 3 year BSI Plus free with my X1. So negotiate hard

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 23rd April 2015 at 07:48.
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 09:25   #18
BHPian

3 series now do come with a spare wheel. Confirmed the information provided in the spec sheet of Jan 2015 with the dealer.
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
Firstly Congrats Zombie driver for bringing home an X1. Its a great piece of machine for self driving folks.

Yes X1 is cheaper than 3 Series any day as they are clearing old stocks and new version is yet to be launched. So you can negotiate well. In fact I got a 3 year BSI Plus free with my X1. So negotiate hard
Thanks! It most definitely is a delight to drive. I'm still exploring its abilities. How did you manage to negotiate for free BSI . I tried a lot but all they would negotiate was a cash discount.
zombiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 22:01   #20
BHPian

Recently had to lug some luggage and boy was i glad the X1 seats have so many iterations.

In the last pic only the rear middle seat is folded. It's mighty useful when we travel with our dog. I don't think this is possible in the Q3
Attached Thumbnails
Stepping into luxury: Our new BMW X1-img20150425wa00032.jpg  

Stepping into luxury: Our new BMW X1-img20150425wa0004.jpg  

Stepping into luxury: Our new BMW X1-img_20150330_182930.jpg  

zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 09:10   #21
BHPian

Congrats on the awesome purchase !! Always go for the heart in heart vs mind battle. ��
Coming to the car itself, it's an extremely pleasurable drive, especially considering the similar driving dynamics to 3 series with that extra GC cushion.
I heard that the new gen X1 would be a FWD that'd be launched later this year probably. If that's true, you got the last of the diamonds.
AZ911 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 12:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
I heard that the new gen X1 would be a FWD that'd be launched later this year probably. If that's true, you got the last of the diamonds.
That was one of the many reasons to opt for it. I heard the next gen would be based on the Mini platform
Old 27th April 2015, 07:02   #23
BHPian

Try to get hold of the BMW Hard Wax and get it applied to the X1. Increases the Shine and Acts as a Water repellant (beading effect). I had applied it in August 2014 when i got my X1 and it still repels water. The shine too is better than Normal waxes and polishes.
Old 27th April 2015, 18:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Try to get hold of the BMW Hard Wax and get it applied to the X1. Increases the Shine and Acts as a Water repellant (beading effect). I had applied it in August 2014 when i got my X1 and it still repels water. The shine too is better than Normal waxes and polishes.
Any leads on how much it costs and where i can find it? For now I am using a product called wash and wax from optimum car care India and it works very well. Initially I had let the car wash guy in our apartment to wash it and inspite of giving him Micro-fibre cloth the car has a few swirl marks. So now i do it myself.
Old 28th April 2015, 06:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
Any leads on how much it costs and where i can find it? For now I am using a product called wash and wax from optimum car care India and it works very well. Initially I had let the car wash guy in our apartment to wash it and inspite of giving him Micro-fibre cloth the car has a few swirl marks. So now i do it myself.
not sure how much it costs as i had picked up 9 BMW Seal and Protect kits from UK. I have a spare bottle of the Wax which i can ship over to you, along with the applicator sponge and the wipe-off cloth. a similar kit is available in India with Navnit Motors at about 16K i presume. This wax is a kind of a paint sealant. once applied, the Usage instructions for the same says it remains on the surface for atleast 3 years. Wash and Wax is a Shampoo. i use the Genuine BMW shampoo and even after so many months not a single swirl mark anywhere on the body!
Old 28th April 2015, 08:11   #26
BHPian

Thanks a ton mate. I am actually thinking of getting paint protection done professionally as a cousin of mine does it here in Bangalore. And yes the wash and wax is a shampoo but its quite good and repels dust though not for too long. The swirl marks happened when the car wash guy was cleaning the car, not sure what shampoo he used. The car is going to be parked in my wife's college parking for the next 6 months and that place is just disaster waiting to happen so i figured i'd do everything once it's back. I kind of have this feeling it's going to come back with multiple scratches so might as well do it after it's back home.
Old 29th May 2015, 01:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I am actually thinking of getting paint protection done professionally as a cousin of mine does it here in Bangalore. The car is going to be parked in my wife's college parking for the next 6 months and that place is just disaster waiting to happen so i figured i'd do everything once it's back. I kind of have this feeling it's going to come back with multiple scratches so might as well do it after it's back home.
Firstly, many congratulations on your newest purchase. I know I am a little late to be doing it now. I was myself involved into a last bit of negotiation to get myself a pre-owned bimmer and an X1 at that for the past few weeks. Both Sunil's and your threads on X1 purchase, initial experiences have been very helpful for me to make my decision. I will start my saga soon, as soon as I have the car in my hands.

Secondly, in the recent issue of Overdrive, I came across this professional paint protection/ treatment chain and it was claimed to be better than that of the 3M paint protection ones. I guess they have a store operational in Bangalore, do check it out at:
http://www.finixcoating.in/
https://www.facebook.com/finixcoating

My suggestion is based on hearsay so please do your homework before considering them.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 09:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post

Secondly, in the recent issue of Overdrive, I came across this professional paint protection/ treatment chain and it was claimed to be better than that of the 3M paint protection ones. I guess they have a store operational in Bangalore, do check it out at:

My suggestion is based on hearsay so please do your homework before considering them.

--Kalyan
Thanks, Its been a great experience so far. Have done about 6500 Kms. Regarding the Paint protection I am inclined to get it done from my cousin because I not only get a good deal but I also get the promise of a good job and a follow up if I am not satisfied.

I will check out the link though. Just for comparison sake.
Old 30th May 2015, 19:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Firstly, many congratulations on your newest purchase. I know I am a little late to be doing it now. I was myself involved into a last bit of negotiation to get myself a pre-owned bimmer and an X1 at that for the past few weeks. Both Sunil's and your threads on X1 purchase, initial experiences have been very helpful for me to make my decision. I will start my saga soon, as soon as I have the car in my hands.

--Kalyan
Quote:
Thanks, Its been a great experience so far. Have done about 6500 Kms. Regarding the Paint protection I am inclined to get it done from my cousin because I not only get a good deal but I also get the promise of a good job and a follow up if I am not satisfied.

I will check out the link though. Just for comparison sake.

Guys I would still suggest BMW Seal and protect Treatment which includes the BMW Hardwax Coat. Ofcourse i spent about 6 hours doing the application myself using the kit imported from UK. here is the link: http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/owners/...d_protect.html

Last edited by Sunilrj : 30th May 2015 at 19:14.
Sunilrj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 18:59   #30
BHPian

It's been about 4 months and close to 8000 kms. No issues as such. Saw some rust in the exhaust tip and took the car to Navnit, the advisor said it's a common occurrence as there is some chemical that spews out of it and he got it cleaned.

In bigger news, my brother drove down to pondicherry the other day and he managed to get an unreal mileage figure, i say unreal because the maximum I've managed to get is about 14kmpl. His average speeds were low as it was a rainy day.
Attached Thumbnails
Stepping into luxury: Our new BMW X1-1434893148840.jpg