Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2015, 09:30   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 862 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post

26K KM on ODO has my opinion changed about the Ecosport? No. There are flaws and so does every other car that is sold . You cannot make car that can meet requirements of all the potential buyers. What I love the most is that after Ecosport I have stopped worrying about my car when I go places/travel. Earlier I had evaluate a lot of things, like say see if the roads are good for the car, had think twice when travelling with 4 or 5 people with luggage. There were some roads I would avoid just because it would be a pain to travel, not any more with Ecosport. Detours are fun with Ecosport. Would have wished for a little lesser stiff suspension, but that is one which enables me to go fast through corners. I had fears that stiffer suspension would lead to lot of rattles and squeaks. Good amount of my KM’s comes from bad roads and so far no rattles. The car feels durable, reliable and dependable. Except few, most of the components (silver finish on each door is not fit properly) feel sturdy. The interiors might not be having the best finish, but is of good quality.


Many say Ecosport is a jacked up Hatchback/hatchback on steroids. People can call whatever, that does not change what Ecosport is. One of the reason why Ecosport sells and why Cross Polo/Etios Cross/Avventura does not is because, one who is buying is easily able to distinguish the difference. If length was the only criteria to distinguish a vehicle, Pajero mini, Gypsy, Rav4 will all fall under hatchback. If a chopped regular sedan can become Compact Sedan, why does not a chopped SUV become compact SUV? If i am wrong is length only the difference between a hatchback and SUV?

The plastics are of good quality, the reason why i feel they get bashed are because of the texture. Agree some places it feels flimsy so it does in every other car(Ex: My Vento had developed rattles just after 1 year of purchase).

In most of the places panel gaps are tight, however the boot door has a wide gap. The Steering is of perfect size to me, has the right contours and feels grippy to hold. The A pillar is a bit of obstruction but something that one can live with. Neat sounding horn, there are better ones though. Reverse sensors are pretty good, does consider rear wheel while calculating distance. AC does its job pretty well, quite silent as well when compared to Figo. The ORVM are big enough and gives a clear image of things coming from behind. Inside rear view mirror does its job pretty well. Plenty of storage spaces inside, I don't have enough water bottles to fill all the space. The radio antenna is seriously long, wondering why cant Ford reduce size and reduce some cost. Fog lamps do a nice job, works as a cornering lamp. Damn, I miss those one touch functioning power window button for all. After getting accustomed to one in Vento, its gets annoying in Ecosport.

1. Reason No.1:Tired of driving hatch back/sedans sitting low, slowing down for every road hump fiddling with Accelerator –brake-clutch, avoid ferrying 5 people because of GC issues, Avoid certain destination/places because you are sure that your car can’t make it. Ecosport is one of the cheaper solutions.

4. Reason No.4: Need a practicality of a hatchback in city, need high seating position/GC, ruggedness of SUV, 70-80% comfort of a sedan and all these with good FE. Ecosport checks does all these.

5. Reason No.5: Have a micro family, have no plans of ferrying 5+ people most of the time (or have alternatives like In nova/Xylo/rental) and need an SUV. Go for Ecosport.

7. Reason No.7: This is significant one. Want something that is cheap to maintain, easy on pocket.
Thanks for painstakingly compiling such an exhaustive report on the Ecosport. Great to note that you continue to be happy with the car after 26000 kms.
I completely am in sync with you on some of the points you put down especially your points 1, 4, 5 & 7. Those are exactly the reasons why I went in for this vehicle and 5000 plus kms later they still hold good.
A 11th reason you could have added is the safety kit - the top version has all what you want (except maybe disc brakes at the rear).

I do wish the vehicle had the following options/features -

1. AWD - not because I want to do some daredevil off-roading but it would be a very useful option when driving around estate roads/tracks esp in the monsoons.
2. Electronically folding ORVMs.
3. Better headlamps preferably bi-xenons with projectors (the one point where I disagree with you). I feel the stock lamps are not up to the mark for night highway use.
4. A better ride over broken roads.

I would have cheerfully forked out a couple of lacs extra for these features as, I am sure, would have many others.

Last edited by wilful : 24th April 2015 at 09:32. Reason: punctuation
wilful is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 10:03   #17
BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 855
Thanked: 1,244 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Well the newest Ecosport review on TeamBhp I am too lazy to complete mine. Well i do agree Vento feels flimsy compared to ecosport, but thats upto the feel part. First the quality of plastics of vento/polo is much better than the hard plastics used in Ecosport/Fiesta. Agreed the doors close with thud and feels thicker, but actually its hollow inside. Dont think that the thick door is made of solid metal. And door panel thickness is not the sole measure of your safety, crash ratings are. Somehow that thud is gone for my rear doors, need to check when i do my servicing. Btw can you tell me how do they fix the bumper appliques? I was planning to get one. Are they reusable, say i need to replace my bumper, can they be removed from old one and fixed in new one without damage?
Well I did not mean to relate sheet thickness to crash ratings. The sheet metal is sturdier and heavier than that of Vento. This is one of the reason probably Ecosport weighs heavier. Even with crash rating, top spec Ecosport should score better than Vento given it has 6 airbags. IIRC Fiesta was for once the safest car(based on crash test) under 12lac bracket.
Agree with you that Vento plastics feel better than that of Ecosport, however I had faced several issues with 1-2 year of Vento ownership. The AC vents have fallen off multiple times, the rear view mirror knob has dislocated many times, The rear quarter panel had developed rattle within 1 year, stitchings are missing in the seat below headrest etc.

The I don't remember exactly how they are fit, but there is no drilling done. They just fixed it with screws is what I remember. They seem to be of ABS plastic and can be easily removed and re-fitted.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 12:17   #18
BHPian
 
DragonHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: B'lore-Puttur
Posts: 313
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Nicely written and you have nailed most of (mis)conceptions about Ford and ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
7. Reason No.7: This is significant one. Want something that is cheap to maintain, easy on pocket. I am re-iterating this again “FORDS ARE EXPENSIVE and NO RESALE VALUE” is words of past. Witnessed with Figo and same with Ecosport as well, in comparison Ford is cheaper to maintain than similarly priced Hyundai or Maruti. Coming to resale, my Figo was sold for 4.7 lacs (bought for 5.84) after 3.2 years.
I agree that when Ford initially launched escort, it was commanding bit of a premium when it comes to maintenance and reasons are plenty. It is this perception which hasn`t changed the mindset for many. When I bought my Figo, I have got n number of advice and warnings about Ford. However with my experience so far has given enough confidence to freeze my upcoming upgrade from the Ford family.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 24th April 2015 at 12:19. Reason: Removed space
DragonHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 16:58   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 10
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Excellent write-up. I liked your comparison between Vento and Ecosport.
The Elite fords service experience that you mentioned is simply great, I hope someday I would be able to say the same thing for the VW guys.

Last edited by manson : 24th April 2015 at 17:31. Reason: Fixed formatting.
bhimani.mohak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 17:25   #20
BHPian
 
Ferruccio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 109
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Some complained about sideward opening boot door, I felt it advantageous in certain scenarios and negative in others.

Niggles reported: Rattle in tailgate which has been sorted properly by Ford Technicians.
Congratulations for a painstakingly and well written review. Will go thru it at leisure on the weekend but a couple of quick observations:

There you have it - the biggest disadvantage of a side mounted door! Leave aside everything else, there is no manufacturer. . . absolutely none, who has managed to make a rattle free side hinged door.

The only way to make it rattle free is to hang it from the top where the weight on both hinges is balanced. Also, if possible make the bottom 1/3rd bottom hinged to create a lip for loading luggage thereby reducing the load on the top hinges.

And don't even think of having the spare wheel door mounted if you don't like rattle. Greater brands than Ford have tried all these and failed. think Mercedes ML, Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg and the mighty Toyota LandoCruisero!

Own a side hinged tailgate SUV? Get used to turning up the stereo. I know from a lifetime of loving, owning, building SUVs in India and abroad ;-)
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 22:18   #21
BHPian
 
prakhar1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 288
Thanked: 494 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

I believe the most important reason to buy the EcoSport is price. With prices starting at 14000 pounds in UK, the India made car is a steal.

The Ecosport hasn't exactly succeeded in UK, partly because of its low quality interiors, and partly because they think its not good quality as it has been designed in Brazil. Point to note is that the interior quality in the UK is same, if not slightly better than India

The Ford cars designed for Europe in Europe like the Fiesta are leaps and bounds ahead of the cars offered in India, in terms of quality and also mechanically. Even the VW cars offered in India such as the Polo have a completely different quality of interior in Europe. I believe that is the reason why they cost ~50% more as well.

The EcoSport however, works for India, because the interior quality of the car is relatively decent if compared with its rivals. Then, the high GC is very desirable.
prakhar1998 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 15:20   #22
BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 855
Thanked: 1,244 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I believe the most important reason to buy the EcoSport is price. With prices starting at 14000 pounds in UK, the India made car is a steal.

The Ecosport hasn't exactly succeeded in UK, partly because of its low quality interiors, and partly because they think its not good quality as it has been designed in Brazil. Point to note is that the interior quality in the UK is same, if not slightly better than India

The Ford cars designed for Europe in Europe like the Fiesta are leaps and bounds ahead of the cars offered in India, in terms of quality and also mechanically. Even the VW cars offered in India such as the Polo have a completely different quality of interior in Europe. I believe that is the reason why they cost ~50% more as well.

The EcoSport however, works for India, because the interior quality of the car is relatively decent if compared with its rivals. Then, the high GC is very desirable.
Agree, pricing was one of the important contributor for the success of Ecosport. Though it isn't cheap, it is still perceived as Value For Money, thanks to the introductory pricing. Also despite price hike Ecosport is the cheapest SUV one can buy barring Quanto,Rio etc.
PrideRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 23:46   #23
BHPian
 
Samfromindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 279
Thanked: 588 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I believe the most important reason to buy the EcoSport is price. With prices starting at 14000 pounds in UK, the India made car is a steal.
Ecosport is like KTM. As its manufactured here and exported abroad, prices are the lowest here. Still many people consider it to be overpriced when they compare it with cars which are possibly not road legal in western countries. The ecosport models Titanium onwards sold in India is comparable to the ones sold in latin america with NCAP 4 crash ratings. In europe they have more stringent safety requirement for which this car got over 300 parts to comply with NCAP 5 standards. Besides the euro spec car gets additional goodies like 17' alloys, knee airbag, cruise control, sunroof etc to name a few.

http://autoportal.com/news/ford-has-...rket-1369.html
Samfromindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 00:28   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 762
Thanked: 518 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Great review, read it from start to finish and enjoyed reading every bit!

Any comments on the driver seat comfort, especially back/lumbar support for longer journeys?
chncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 09:45   #25
BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 855
Thanked: 1,244 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Great review, read it from start to finish and enjoyed reading every bit!

Any comments on the driver seat comfort, especially back/lumbar support for longer journeys?
The driver seat is pretty comfortable. It wont take much time before you find comfortable seating position.The seats are well contoured and provides you enough grip. The seat height adjustment and slide have very long range. I didn't find lumbar support very useful, though I use it once in a while. The arm rest is one useful tool, works well for me. The headrest is at an angled position and will take you some time to get used to.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 13:54   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,944
Thanked: 1,626 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

I have to agree with you, there is no car that can comfortably seat 5, save for the two cars that can manage this a little better. Besides; nobody on the rear bench is comfortable with 3 adults.

Ford India's first compact SUV has a lot going for it. It is well built, comfortable, drives quite well, has pretty much all the toys you could ask for, possibly the best stock stereo of any car in the segment and then adds that all important thing, good ground clearance. I am not a fan of high riding cars but it is now coming to a point where I will allow for change. You do have to worry with a sedan even if it isn't loaded, as I recently discovered on a drive to Masinagudi. My car kept hitting everything and a friends Duster in front, could take on anything and everything the roads threw at it, meaning bad roads.

I don't agree with the steering though. I know this as I was a Ikon owner too. There is no comparison. The steering on the Ecosport is dead. Its dead even if you were to compare it with the Fiesta (Not classic). Now this is odd and I don't know why Ford have these totally different steering set up's between the two cars. One is by far the most communicative eps units I have experienced and the other is an almost lifeless unit. This is the one thing that kills the driving experience of what is otherwise one of the best high riding cars on the road.

Thanks for sharing and that is a very interesting line up of cars.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 15:12   #27
BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 855
Thanked: 1,244 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

I don't agree with the steering though. I know this as I was a Ikon owner too. There is no comparison. The steering on the Ecosport is dead. Its dead even if you were to compare it with the Fiesta (Not classic). Now this is odd and I don't know why Ford have these totally different steering set up's between the two cars. One is by far the most communicative eps units I have experienced and the other is an almost lifeless unit. This is the one thing that kills the driving experience of what is otherwise one of the best high riding cars on the road.

Thanks for sharing and that is a very interesting line up of cars.
The steering is no where close to Ikon/Figo or even New Fiesta. However it is miles ahead of Hyundai and some of the Maruti's. It feels light but is precise and does not get you nervous like the Hyundai. The Hyundai i20 used to take ages to respond to my steering actions, not the case in Ecosport. The steering is sharp and the car does go to the direction I point to.
One of the reason for Ford going for different steering setup may be because, Ecosport is not meant to be a cornering machine,the steering setup is to aid easy manoeuvrability. The steering feels stable enough for those high speed runs on straight roads.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 11:20   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,890 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Great review and thanks for sharing!
The comparison is so relevant because these are two segments where lot of cross-shopping happens.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 13:51   #29
BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 855
Thanked: 1,244 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Great review and thanks for sharing!
The comparison is so relevant because these are two segments where lot of cross-shopping happens.
Yes even though Ecosport and Vento belong to 2 different segment, excel in different categories, this is where maximum cross shopping happens. When delivery of my Ecosport got delayed, I had considered buying another Vento Tdi which had irresistible offers. However owning 2 Vento's did not make much sense and hence dropped the idea.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 14:45   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 862 Times
Default Re: 10 Reasons to buy the Ford EcoSport...and my ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Yes even though Ecosport and Vento belong to 2 different segment, excel in different categories, this is where maximum cross shopping happens. When delivery of my Ecosport got delayed, I had considered buying another Vento Tdi which had irresistible offers. However owning 2 Vento's did not make much sense and hence dropped the idea.
Makes perfect sense to me because I went through the same thing. When I was getting frustrated about the delay in getting my Ecosport, I briefly flirted with the idea of going in for the Vento TSI AT. Was really impressed with the engine/gearbox but somehow it did not fit in with the requirements that I had in mind.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Ownership Review Murugan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 131 12th December 2017 19:14
Long Term Ownership Report: Swift VdI- 2 lakh kms, Cost of ownership on Pg 3 epicenter.rulez Long-Term Ownership Reviews 150 30th May 2017 20:35
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
50 reasons to leave your lover ported_head Shifting gears 1 1st June 2004 16:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:22.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks