Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th May 2016, 09:19   #61
BHPian

Default Re: My Hyundai Verna 4S CRDi 1.6 SX - Refinement, and some more!

Hello Pearljam,

Good to see the support provided by Hyundai in Ooty. Reinstates the confidence in the service provided by Hyundai, which is one of the reasons of purchasing a Hyundai car in the first place.

My Verna too idles at a slightly higher RPM when its really cold in the mornings but then settles back to the 750 RPM. Could it be the higher altitude or a cold morning which were the culprit, instead of Coolant level?
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 20:09   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
My Verna too idles at a slightly higher RPM when its really cold in the mornings but then settles back to the 750 RPM. Could it be the higher altitude or a cold morning which were the culprit, instead of Coolant level?
No, this was with a warm engine. I don't think it's just the cold weather, since when the temperature dropped to similar levels in Bangalore winter, this did not happen. It could be the air density. Note the increase is a huge 200rpm over normal levels, when warm.

The exact same issue has been reported by someone else for a Skoda Rapid: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3200600 (Skoda Rapid Diesel: Cold start issues)
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 20:15   #63
BHPian

Any information on the Hyundai fitted AVN control? I have been searching all around for the same since I am planning to upgrade my Fluidic Verna 12 with it. Any user with some first hand info?
HalfOctave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 00:46   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
No, this was with a warm engine. I don't think it's just the cold weather, since when the temperature dropped to similar levels in Bangalore winter, this did not happen. It could be the air density. Note the increase is a huge 200rpm over normal levels, when warm.

The exact same issue has been reported by someone else for a Skoda Rapid: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3200600 (Skoda Rapid Diesel: Cold start issues)
I have noticed this in my i20 CRDi too. At high altitudes the engine idles at 1000 rpm whereabouts. For me this phenomenon occurs even when I approach Bangalore or any high altitude place. When I drive to Bangalore from Kerala, the idle rpm starts increasing at the whereabouts of Krishnagiri and by time I'm at Bangalore it idles at almost 1000 rpm. There is a marginal drop in power at Bangalore too and the engine becomes more silent.

On the other hand my Ciaz ZDi does not behave like this but it makes the difference felt in another way. The idle rpm does not increase but it starts to clatter a bit more obviously at Bangalore. Power remains more or less the same with probably just a minor drop. The power of the Ciaz diesel is nothing much to write home about anyway.

All this is just something to do with the less dense air at higher altitude than that at sea level and turbodiesels seem most affected. I tried to get the drop in power fixed on my CRDi through a remap at Bangalore and I was happy with the results there. But I was unprepared for the corresponding increase in power that would come when back down in the plains. The additional torque and power was just mindblowing. I just mean to say even with a remap there is a 'difference' in output from the plains and high altitude and I have not gone to any further trouble to try and even out this behaviour.

If you are a native of Bangalore, then I suggest you take a drive to Salem and watch out closely for this phenomenon. You will most probably be able to feel an increase in power and response once past Krishnagiri.

Edit: You say your car idles normally at Bangalore and behaved oddly at Ooty. My car was bought from Kerala and it behaves oddly at Bangalore and Ooty and any high altitude. I don't suppose cars have location specific programming in their ECUs? Just a thought that occurred to me.

Last edited by alphahere : 29th June 2016 at 00:54. Reason: Edit
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 10:26   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
I have noticed this in my i20 CRDi too. At high altitudes the engine idles at 1000 rpm whereabouts. For me this phenomenon occurs even when I approach Bangalore or any high altitude place. When I drive to Bangalore from Kerala, the idle rpm starts increasing at the whereabouts of Krishnagiri and by time I'm at Bangalore it idles at almost 1000 rpm. There is a marginal drop in power at Bangalore too and the engine becomes more silent.

Edit: You say your car idles normally at Bangalore and behaved oddly at Ooty. My car was bought from Kerala and it behaves oddly at Bangalore and Ooty and any high altitude. I don't suppose cars have location specific programming in their ECUs? Just a thought that occurred to me.
Dear alphahere,

Very interesting observation. Well written too.

My 2 bits:
I have seen similar behavior from vastly different cars: Maruti Suzuki OmniE, Honda City, Honda Jazz, WagonR, etc. I travel regularly between Mumbai and Pune. I would like to add that there are other parameters too - like temperature, humidity, etc. If the temperature drops, then I sense a slight increase in power. With increased humidity I had expected no change but I felt the performance change. Maybe it is indirectly linked to temperature. The AC performance is much better in humid conditions.

I hope I am as clear as you!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 11:14   #66
BHPian

Nicely explained!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
I have noticed this in my i20 CRDi too. At high altitudes the engine idles at 1000 rpm whereabouts. For me this phenomenon occurs even when I approach Bangalore or any high altitude place. When I drive to Bangalore from Kerala, the idle rpm starts increasing at the whereabouts of Krishnagiri and by time I'm at Bangalore it idles at almost 1000 rpm
I also observed the last time I was in TN, the outside temperature was 41 degrees Centigrade, and the engine was idling at a very low 740 RPM!

Anyway, thanks for clarifying, alphahere. Looks like each engine deals with changes in the air/density, in it's own way.
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:03   #67
BHPian

Hello PearlJam and other Verna 4S owners,

I am currently contemplating buying a C2 sedan within a months time and have an eye on the Verna 4S diesel (SX model) along with MS Ciaz (diesel) or Honda City (Petrol) as the other contenders. As the owner of the Verna 4S, I wanted a feedback from you on the following:
  • How has been the overall ownership experience of the car? Anything major you would like to highlight as part of the ownership? Also, what are your average service costs?
  • In real life Bangalore conditions, what is the fuel efficiency you get?
  • How is it fairing against the infamous speed breakers of Bangalore?
  • How much do you miss the rear AC vents, especially in a place like Bangalore?
  • How is the interior holding up on quality front and comfort levels?

Would be looking forward for an update from all of you! With the facelift around the corner for the Verna, I am a little concerned if it makes sense to buy one now.
vickyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 09:05   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
As the owner of the Verna 4S, I wanted a feedback from you on the following:
  • How has been the overall ownership experience of the car? Anything major you would like to highlight as part of the ownership? Also, what are your average service costs?
  • In real life Bangalore conditions, what is the fuel efficiency you get?
  • How is it fairing against the infamous speed breakers of Bangalore?
  • How much do you miss the rear AC vents, especially in a place like Bangalore?
  • How is the interior holding up on quality front and comfort levels?
Would be looking forward for an update from all of you! With the facelift around the corner for the Verna, I am a little concerned if it makes sense to buy one now.
Hi @vickyP, most of what you've asked has already been answered in this thread.
  1. Excellent. Other than what I've mentioned earlier, I've not faced any other issues. Note that the gearing (atleast for the diesel) is quite tall - the 1st gear pulls off to almost 10Kmph, anything less than this will need half clutching, so heavy traffic conditions are more cumbersome. On the other hand, the tall gearing gives a relaxed drive on the highways, with 100kmph on the 6th gear around 1800 RPM. 1st service around 2300/- (not strictly required to change oil/filter, but did it anyway), 2600/- for 2nd free service.
  2. 12-13 kmpl
  3. Absolutely no issues. Haven't scraped one yet
  4. Sorely missed
  5. Personally I love the interiors and ergonomics. No rattles yet, after fixing the minor door rattle during 2nd service
I've no idea about the facelift, I guess it depends on how desperate you are!
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 10:22   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Hello PearlJam and other Verna 4S owners,

I am currently contemplating buying a C2 sedan within a months time and have an eye on the Verna 4S diesel (SX model) along with MS Ciaz (diesel) or Honda City (Petrol) as the other contenders.
Hello Vicky,

I own a Verna 4S Petrol model. I will try answer some of your questions-
1- Hyundai ownership is fuss free. Their service executives and managers are very dedicated and they strive to attain a good rating from the customers.

2- Already answered by PearlJam

3- I have not scraped any of the speed breakers in Bangalore. I did scrape once on a state highway. It was quite high, car had 5 people and luggage and I should have taken it at an angle. Anyways, clearance is decent.

4- In my case, mostly only 2 people ride in the car. So personally I do not miss rear vents. To add to it, I find the AC very effective and the cabin cools pretty quickly. Should not be a deal breaker.

5- Interior quality and the tight finish is probably among the best in the C2 segment. It is definitely superior to both the City and Ciaz. Have not got a single rattle yet.

The updated version of Verna may come in 2017 (there is a thread on tbhp discussing this). Similarly, Honda City's update version too might be out in 2017. So, it all depends on how eager you are to get the car. If you can wait, then probably waiting till 2017 (unknown month) makes sense.

All the best !!
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:00   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Hi @vickyP, most of what you've asked has already been answered in this thread.
I've no idea about the facelift, I guess it depends on how desperate you are!
Quote:
Hello Vicky,

The updated version of Verna may come in 2017 (there is a thread on tbhp discussing this). Similarly, Honda City's update version too might be out in 2017. So, it all depends on how eager you are to get the car. If you can wait, then probably waiting till 2017 (unknown month) makes sense.

All the best !!
Thanks a lot PearlJam & drive2eternity for your prompt responses.
I am looking to buy the car max by September/ October this year and thus waiting for the new Verna seems unlikely. Your inputs are really helpful and it is good to know that the ownership experience has been nothing short of excellent.

As you may have observed, my budget is 12.5-13.5 lakhs and it HAS to be a sedan (my better half prefers nothing else!). With an estimated usage of 1500 kms per month, I am confused between the 3 mentioned cars. Key criteria is that the engine needs to be smooth (I believe petrol engines are inherently smoother), good interiors and a car which feels worth the money. I plan to keep the car for a period of 4-5 years, after which I am sure I would be jumping around for a new one.

For reference, I owned a pre-worshipped T-Jet around couple of years back for a period of 1 and half years, before I travelled to the UK for a work assignment.

All the mentioned cars have their share of pros & cons. I would have to test drive these through and decide what suits be the best. I would keep you posted and get back if I have more queries. An ownership thread would follow for sure.
vickyP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016, 09:05   #71
BHPian

Quote:
For reference, I owned a pre-worshipped T-Jet around couple of years back for a period of 1 and half years, before I travelled to the UK for a work assignment.
As I mentioned earlier, I don't think any of the three cars are deal breakers at all on the handling and steering front. But if you're coming from the T-Jet's brilliant steering and mature suspension, and this criteria matters to you, then there's a fair chance that you'll be slightly disappointed with the others.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 08:54   #72
BHPian

Quote:

As you may have observed, my budget is 12.5-13.5 lakhs and it HAS to be a sedan (my better half prefers nothing else!). With an estimated usage of 1500 kms per month, I am confused between the 3 mentioned cars. Key criteria is that the engine needs to be smooth (I believe petrol engines are inherently smoother), good interiors and a car which feels worth the money. I plan to keep the car for a period of 4-5 years, after which I am sure I would be jumping around for a new one.
Hello Vicky,

With that sort of monthly running, a diesel would be better. Remember, the car tends to run more than our best estimates.
Smoothness of the 1.6 CRDi motor cannot be compared. That said, I wanted to ask you why the Rapid and Vento (both diesels) have been excluded by you? Both are very competitive products and are priced well too.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 12:19   #73
BHPian

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, I don't think any of the three cars are deal breakers at all on the handling and steering front. But if you're coming from the T-Jet's brilliant steering and mature suspension, and this criteria matters to you, then there's a fair chance that you'll be slightly disappointed with the others.
Thanks PearlJam. I understand that neither of these cars would handle as well as the Linea, but I am prepared for that. I am a very normal driver and would prefer comfort and a bit of luxury over a corner scorcher. And thus

Quote:
Hello Vicky,

With that sort of monthly running, a diesel would be better. Remember, the car tends to run more than our best estimates.
Smoothness of the 1.6 CRDi motor cannot be compared. That said, I wanted to ask you why the Rapid and Vento (both diesels) have been excluded by you? Both are very competitive products and are priced well too.
I understand that estimates would normally be beaten and thus a diesel is a more practical choice. Also, with the crazy traffic at Bangalore you don't want be cursing yourself when a petrol motor is showing a single digit FE (though I assume a City petrol should be able to achieve 11-12). Having said that, I love petrol motors - may be I have not experienced a diesel engine enough.

Though I have not really struck off the Rapid & Vento off the list, a few reasons on why they are lower down on preference are:
  • I do not personally like the current Rapid's exterior design and its interior color scheme. If they launch the updated Rapid soon enough, I may consider it provided it looks more like the European Rapid. However, reports are not encouraging to me and latest thought is that it may only come in 2017.
  • Both cars are currently sold in their auto versions only - so I might need to stretch a bit unless they are offering significant discounts. Vento DSG HL is listed at ~15.7 lakhs or so. But a DSG auto is surely tempting.
  • Both are a bit more 'nosier' engines than the smooth 1.6 CRDi of the Verna. But I need to experience of how noisy they really are.
  • After sales stories are not great but Skoda 'seems' to have taken notice and there is a new thread about it. So, again hoping that the new Rapid comes along.
  • I like the Vento's clean and classy styling especially after the updates. So it is my pick of the two - but most reviews suggest that the Rapid is better - which takes me to point 1 again.
  • Still personally, I would prefer the Vento of the current two provided the low GC is not a deal breaker. Need to TD it.
  • Also, I know the resale value might be poor after 4-5 years for either of the two, but I think can live with that as long as the ownership is good.

I would keep the search on! Probably I should start a separate thread or post my queries in a relevant one so that I do not hijack PearlJam's thread further.
vickyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 09:14   #74
BHPian

Completed a wonderful 2400 Kms trip last week, and as expected, the car behaved brilliantly, and did not let me down in remote godforsaken places, with family in tow.

One thing I have observed is that, the coolant level comes down by about a centimetre in about 3 months duration. The SA said that this is due to evaporation of the water part of the coolant. No leaks. I did not notice this in my previous car. Anyone else seeing the same?
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 23:25   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Completed a wonderful 2400 Kms trip last week, and as expected, the car behaved brilliantly, and did not let me down in remote godforsaken places, with family in tow.

One thing I have observed is that, the coolant level comes down by about a centimetre in about 3 months duration. The SA said that this is due to evaporation of the water part of the coolant. No leaks. I did not notice this in my previous car. Anyone else seeing the same?
Yes i top up my coolant every 3 to 4 months
honey_starhoney is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote