Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th May 2015, 19:17   #31
BHPian

Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel : An Ownership Review (12 Months & 13,500 kms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XetaGLGRocks View Post
Arav, possibly one of the best ownership reviews that I have come across on Team-Bhp. Congratulations on owning the car and wish you many happy miles on the car.
That's one hell of a comment XetaGLRocks !! Thanks a Ton and Hat's Off to you for the appreciation that you have given me !!

Considering the fact that I am still relevantly very new to the Forum, such a motivational comment from a senior member like you who has been associated with the forum for the past 8 years; definitely encourages me further to write and post more valuable threads in the future thereby benefiting the community on the whole. Really encouraging ! Thanks once again !
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 23:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Dear Neel,

What GTO has mentioned in his review is after he drove almost all the cars available in the Indian market and few more in the international market. He is a man with vast experience and knowledge.
Samba Da, thanks a lot for the comments! I did not know that Toyota had addressed so many faults in the 2014 model. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hi Bro,

Similarly, the etios interiors while much improved (I personally love the cross with its piano black finish), they again are no match for the Fiesta - which though dated, look a little more contemporary than the Etios).
Personally, if Neel's dad is a car enthusiast, the Ford Classic 1.6 is definitely leagues ahead - heck as an owner of the Fiesta 1.4 TDCi, I really wish we could have gotten the 1.6 instead. But as a family car, the Etios is definitely better rounded!

AJ: I meant rear armrest bro
Rightly said Sir! Thanks a ton! In fact,the Etios 1.5 was one of the top contenders of our list. It makes for a great family sedan--spacious, comfortable and fast as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Neel, you're a young enthusiast who knows his initial bit about cars, and is eager to research and learn. I was (and am) very much like you, grabbing all information that came my way. Sadly, I was 13 two decades ago, when (let alone tbhp) even the internet was in its teens. So most of the information grabbing came from scouring flea markets in Kolkata for used (imported) car books and magazines, and collecting Indian carmag issues. You have access to this wonderful forum. By all means, keep up the enthusiasm.
Sir, your comments were very helpful. Please keep more of them coming. I joined Team-BHP so that I can interact with experts like you. Thanks a lot. Would love to meet you.

This is our first car. So, I have never been to the service station for a service. But I love to watch RE guys working on my Dad's Bullet. I flood them with questions. Eagerly waiting for our car's first service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Neel, a little "Uncle'ly" advice, though google based opinion is a rave nowadays, and trust me have seen worst than this from people thrice your
age. I would suggest that to make things credible always make your hands dirty. One liner, please follow Aniket uncle's advice in totality

Ciao
Sid
It wasn't "Uncle'ly" at all.
Thanks for the advice! Will keep it in mind the next time I search Google. My Dad told me the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post

On another note neel brother you're just in class 8 and have become a bhpian which to me is quite an achievement. Hence a small request to you as a brother is to follow what Aniket da has told you. You'll only grow wiser and more knowledgeable following his path of advice.

Regards,
Subhra
Being a BHPian is and will be one of the greatest achievements of my life. I consider myself to be very lucky to be a BHPian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XetaGLGRocks View Post
Arav, possibly one of the best ownership reviews that I have come across on Team-Bhp. Congratulations on owning the car and wish you many happy miles on the car.

Neel, by this time I am sure you are getting bored about the comments you faced. Nevertheless, here's something more to add to that boredom.
Thanks!

On a serious note, what are the differences between an original Fiesta 1.6 and a Classic 1.6 except the stripped interiors and part sharing with the Figo? Would really like to know.

Thanks again. Will keep your advice in mind the next time I post on Team-BHP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Neel,

The dynamics of the both the cars are completely different. I have to compare an apple to an apple at the end of the day.

However, I find my Figo's steering wheel to be lighter than that of my Diesel Etios and definitely the Ford Handling is way superior. I can say this because I have previously owned a Ford Ikon 1.4 TDCi as well and I still do drive the Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt (of my Father in Law) at times and love the handling of it.
Surely. Thanks a lot for the advice. It was very beneficial.

Your review is certainly one of the most detailed ones. No wonder it has taken its position in the 'Hot Threads.' Will keep it as a benchmark when I compose my ownership experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post
Brilliant review Arav Da. I know I'm late but Congratulations on the Etios. Lovely colour you've go there. I've not driven an Etios till date but have ridden the Etios few times. I will disagree with Neel in the case that the interior looks dull, I like the interiors pretty much in an Etios. Wish you happy miles with it.

Regards,
Swapnil
Okay, the 2014 Etios does not look that 'Dull.' I take it back. But it still could have been a lot better when compared to other cars in the segment.

Thanks again to everyone.

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2015 at 16:29. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 19:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Post re: Toyota Etios Diesel : An Ownership Review (12 Months & 13,500 kms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I agree to every other point that you have mentioned. But i am doubtful about this. Infact the Logan/Verito and Sunny/Duster85 remain my favorite cars with the 1.5 dci as they offer amazing drivabiity with the FGT. Driving the Logan is just like driving a car with a NA engine. No turbo kick is felt, But plenty of torque is available at all the engine speeds. The build quality is big positive over the Etios. But at the end of the day as a package the Etios is better. So you and AJ have made the sensible choice.
I should have worded it better. I meant predictable "passing acceleration". When overtaking, you would want yourself to be on that peak torque range. And since, the 170 Nm of torque is available from 1800 to 2400 rpms on the Etios, you can be assured that the engine response will remain stable and predictable during the overtaking maneuvers.

Even the other Toyota Diesels share this pattern.
for eg:-,
the Corolla has a peak torque range from 1800 rpm all the way till 2800 rpms.
And the innova has a peak torque range from 1200 rpms all the way till 3600 rpms!

And regarding the build quality, it's about Japanese/Korean design philosophy vs Indian/European/American ones.
Japanese/Korean of any segment will be the lightest of the lot. These guys will never stress the engine with heavy sheet metal. Keeping the vehicle light and at the same time keeping it stable and safe is an art and the Japanese, especially Toyota are masters at it.

Last edited by amalji : 16th May 2015 at 19:50.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:44   #34
BHPian

I have an Indigo CS, and I was looking to upgrade. I'm looking at the Etios Diesel, mainly because this will be the primary workhorse used for everything from city shopping runs to long distances. Thanks for this thread. I consulted extensively with the taxi operators in our office, and they all recommended the Etios for the excellent service, low maintenance, great mileage and reliability. I did get a chance to drive around in a fairly new taxi (2014 face-lifted model) , and found the engine and handling impressive.

What I really didn't like was the interior quality. It's better than my Tata, but I feel everyone else has moved on in this game, even Tata that used to be the benchmark for cheap interiors, and Toyota should really be offering better interiors at this price range. Again, I've seen the "updated" 2014 version, but the interiors are mostly the same, hard plastic that doesn't even make an effort to look classy.

Also, the way that Toyota refuses to make any real updates to the exterior shows a lack of enthusiasm and commitment in my opinion. It's as if they're saving their efforts for something better and this is just a stopgap.

However, for me, this is a car that makes a lot of sense, grey-matter-wise. The performance is good, the service backup is spot on, there are tuning boxes available if I want more performance at some point, and I can always spruce up the looks with some fatter tyres on bigger wheels.

I've almost finalised on the VXD. I thnk I'll take mine black. Celestial Black.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I have an Indigo CS, and I was looking to upgrade. I'm looking at the Etios Diesel, mainly because this will be the primary workhorse used for everything from city shopping runs to long distances. Thanks for this thread. I consulted extensively with the taxi operators in our office, and they all recommended the Etios for the excellent service, low maintenance, great mileage and reliability. I did get a chance to drive around in a fairly new taxi (2014 face-lifted model) , and found the engine and handling impressive.

What I really didn't like was the interior quality. It's better than my Tata, but I feel everyone else has moved on in this game, even Tata that used to be the benchmark for cheap interiors, and Toyota should really be offering better interiors at this price range. Again, I've seen the "updated" 2014 version, but the interiors are mostly the same, hard plastic that doesn't even make an effort to look classy.

Also, the way that Toyota refuses to make any real updates to the exterior shows a lack of enthusiasm and commitment in my opinion. It's as if they're saving their efforts for something better and this is just a stopgap.

However, for me, this is a car that makes a lot of sense, grey-matter-wise. The performance is good, the service backup is spot on, there are tuning boxes available if I want more performance at some point, and I can always spruce up the looks with some fatter tyres on bigger wheels.

I've almost finalised on the VXD. I thnk I'll take mine black. Celestial Black.
Vivek,

Buying the Etios is a Head over Heart buy as previously mentioned. Makes me recollect the old saying "one cannot get everything" !! There are certain things that we do need to ignore and look beyond with the practicality point of view.

Now that you have almost finalized on the Etios VXD, I am inquisitive to know whether the Celestial Black is readily available. The black looks fantastic of the Etios. I simply love it. But, sadly when I was buying my one, they told me that colours like Black & Red are only produced twice a year and would not be made available. Congrats to you in advance on your purchase !! Shall await a Ownership review

In view of what your apprehension is, I would like to quote Amalji here as he has very well clarified this dilema :

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
For me, the meaning of a good car is
1. It should give me driving pleasure ( but not at the cost of safety or durability). There's no use in having 10% extra power but fitted with pathetic brakes or an unstable steering. I should have abs and airbag regardless of the variant I go for. And it should serve me atleast 2-3 lakhs kms without issues. Changing cars every few years is not my piece of cake.
2. The power delivery should be in practical rpms. And in diesel engines, I would any day prefer a smaller, but less laggy turbo on typical Indian driving conditions.
3. When I buy a 5 seater, I expect that the 5 people be seated comfortably. They should have enough room ( width, leg room and head room ) and enough space to hold the luggage of all for a long trip ). And the suspensions should give them a comfortable ride.
4. Utility matters more than how the dash looks. I might enjoy the looks of the dash for a few weeks. But Post that, what matters more are how ergonomic, the dash is. If it's going to prevent my legs from being comfortable, that hurts me more. And regarding interior looks, I travel in a car to enjoy the beauty outside, not to keep staring at the dash. So, a claustrophobic cabin with tiny windows and low seating position hurts more than how the dash looks.
5. Running costs should be low. I've covered 75000 kms on my Etios. For regular service, I would have saved atleast 35000 compared to brands like Maruti. And regarding unplanned replacements, all I've done till now is a fuse and a couple of bulbs inspite of blasting it on the potholed roads of Kerala.
Thanks Amalji for pointing out these facts !!
AJ-got-BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 16:50   #36
BHPian

Owning a Liva VD for the past year and the joy of paying minimum maintenance bills and just filling in fuel and driving is simply unparalleled! Makes me drive more with a peace of mind, without having to worry. Yes there are many pointers on things which could have been better but well for now it makes sense owning something trouble free. Not everything is perfect but its the efforts the company makes to keep its customers happy and Toyota is up there. Reason enough they are still numero uno!
Just one heads up, switch over to better shoes. The stock ones aren't good at all. Decent is what I will call them. A lot of front wheel swerves indicating they cannot handle the power that well as say a Michelin or Bridgestones.

Go ahead, grab the Etios and get mile munching.

Last edited by coolmel : 4th June 2015 at 16:52.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 22:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Vivek,

Buying the Etios is a Head over Heart buy as previously mentioned. Makes me recollect the old saying "one cannot get everything" !! There are certain things that we do need to ignore and look beyond with the practicality point of view.

Now that you have almost finalized on the Etios VXD, I am inquisitive to know whether the Celestial Black is readily available. The black looks fantastic of the Etios. I simply love it. But, sadly when I was buying my one, they told me that colours like Black & Red are only produced twice a year and would not be made available. Congrats to you in advance on your purchase !! Shall await a Ownership review

In view of what your apprehension is, I would like to quote Amalji here as he has very well clarified this dilema :

Thanks Amalji for pointing out these facts !!
Thanks AJ and Amalji. I've already decided that my next car would be black, and the fact that it's rarer is a plus. I'm in no hurry as our current Indigo is perfectly serviceable. I think I'll book it and wait. In the meantime, there's always the chance that Toyota might bring out upgrades.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 01:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Thanks AJ and Amalji. I've already decided that my next car would be black, and the fact that it's rarer is a plus. I'm in no hurry as our current Indigo is perfectly serviceable. I think I'll book it and wait. In the meantime, there's always the chance that Toyota might bring out upgrades.
Yeah !! The updated Etios is indeed much better than it's predecessor with a lot rectified and refreshed. The new Front Chrome Grill also looks stunning and will stand out in the Black Colour that you are opting to buy. Best wishes for your purchase
Old 15th June 2015, 17:30   #39
BHPian

We happened to be out for a family lunch on a Sunday Afternoon (i.e.- yesterday) while I was driving my Figo and my Dad was driving my Etios back home. It was raining and I had the DSLR beside me to take a few snaps of the Etios fresh with the rainfall :

My Toyota Etios Diesel - 2.5 years & 39,000 km update-_mg_0085.jpg

My Toyota Etios Diesel - 2.5 years & 39,000 km update-img_0095.jpg

My Toyota Etios Diesel - 2.5 years & 39,000 km update-img_0098.jpg

Love the new design of the Tail Lamps on the refreshed ETIOS in comparison to it's predecessor :
My Toyota Etios Diesel - 2.5 years & 39,000 km update-img_0096.jpg

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 15th June 2015 at 17:37.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 14:35   #40
BHPian

I happened to drive my Etios day before yesterday at night when I was just out with family for a spin. While taking a reasonable sharp right turn, I heard a faint cracking sounds from the left hand side of the vehicle.

I simply do not understand how these chauffeurs do not notice these things as they are driving the said vehicle on a day to day basis

Did a similar turn again to realize that it was the Front LHS Drive Shaft Noise again. Earlier the front LHS Drive Shaft Boot has already been replaced on chargeable basis by Toyota since a rope had entangled and damaged the boot.

May be it's the Drive Shaft now that has taken the Toll and needs a replacement now. Do not know if this will be sorted by Toyota under Warranty ?

Need your comments and suggestions on how to go about it.
Old 25th June 2015, 17:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
May be it's the Drive Shaft now that has taken the Toll and needs a replacement now. Do not know if this will be sorted by Toyota under Warranty ?

Need your comments and suggestions on how to go about it.
The following parts were replaced by Toyota Dealer in my Etios Liva Manufactured in November 2013.
  1. REAR BOTH SHOCK UP REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY
  2. REAR BRAKE LINER SPRING KIT REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY

At first the SA at dealership did not pay attention when i had taken my vehicle for 10K service interval. It was only after my complain in a feedback call from Toyota Bangalore, the issues were resolved by the dealer.

You can read the full details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3662939

If it is a manufacturing defect and dealer is reluctant to address the issue i will strongly advise you to raise your concern to Toyota Bangalore. As per my experience with them, i will rate them 10/10

15 days Back i had a surprised call from Service Head of the dealership for feedback on above issues and at the end of the call he said that i might get a call from Toyota officials for feedback
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 16:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
The following parts were replaced by Toyota Dealer in my Etios Liva Manufactured in November 2013.
  1. REAR BOTH SHOCK UP REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY
  2. REAR BRAKE LINER SPRING KIT REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY

At first the SA at dealership did not pay attention when i had taken my vehicle for 10K service interval. It was only after my complain in a feedback call from Toyota Bangalore, the issues were resolved by the dealer.

You can read the full details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3662939

If it is a manufacturing defect and dealer is reluctant to address the issue i will strongly advise you to raise your concern to Toyota Bangalore. As per my experience with them, i will rate them 10/10

15 days Back i had a surprised call from Service Head of the dealership for feedback on above issues and at the end of the call he said that i might get a call from Toyota officials for feedback
I lodged a complaint with Toyota Bangalore and they were indeed very prompt to get my vehicle picked up by their Dealership (Topsel Toyota near Ruby Hospital on EM Bye Pass) from my residence on the 4th of July 2015.

Firstly after the vehicle reached them, a gentleman called me up and asked me - "Sir aapki gaadi mein kya problem hai ? Why have you sent the car to us, for what ?"

I was stunned in shock. Not the kind of sincerity I expected from a Toyota branded personnel. I asked him to check his database and then call me up.

After a few hours I received a call from another personnel from the dealership claiming to have done a few road tests with the car but they did not come across any issue with the drive shaft at all.

They said :
"we are not being able to assess the problem. There is no sound coming from the drive shaft and we are not being able to diagnose the issue raised by you and everything seems to be fine to us. But, as you have complained, we suggest you come over to our dealership and show us what and where the problem is for us to understand the issue better."

I was travelling out of Kolkata and it was not possible for me to visit the dealership on the given date. I simply asked them a few questions :
  1. How many road tests have you done ? - Answer : 3
  2. Who all have driven the Car ? - Answer : Techincian, Service Advisor and GM Service
  3. No one felt/ heard the cracking sound of the LHS Drive Shaft ? - Answer : No
  4. What do you plan to do now ? - Answer : We do not know what to do. We suggest you come down to the dealership and show us where the issue is

I merely told them to close the Job Card and send the vehicle back to my residence and oblige. They panicked and said "Sir please do not raise another complaint on us." I repeated what I had said earlier and asked them to follow suit without further complexities.

After 3 days I got a call from Toyota Bangalore checking on me whether the issue has been resolved or not. I shared my grievances with them and now my car is destined for another visit to the same dealership; tentatively on the 11th of July 2015 with me being there in person to bring the problem to light before their service team.

I have a feeling that the dealership is trying to act funny and avoid/ neglect the complexity created by them.

Any suggestions BHPians ??
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 19:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I lodged a complaint with Toyota Bangalore and they were indeed very prompt to get my vehicle picked up by their Dealership (Topsel Toyota near Ruby Hospital on EM Bye Pass) from my residence on the 4th of July 2015.

I have a feeling that the dealership is trying to act funny and avoid/ neglect the complexity created by them.

Any suggestions BHPians ??
Good to hear that Toyota Bangalore were prompt. I am sure the dealership is more concerned with their ratings rather than rectifying the issue.

They should have at least tried to inspect the drive Shaft personally apart from number of test drives carried out.

I will suggest you to take a longer test drive with all the windows rolled up, AC, fan & Music system completely switched off.

In my case we had taken a longer test drive as the issue was diagnosed only after initial 2-3 kms (7-8 Speed breakers)
driving_smartly is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 19:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
I will suggest you to take a longer test drive with all the windows rolled up, AC, fan & Music system completely switched off.
This is exactly what I had thought !! Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for sharing your opinion. Somewhere even I feel that they were more worried about their own rating with Toyota rather than the issue itself.
Old 11th July 2015, 16:32   #45
BHPian

Finally paid a visit to the Topsel Toyota Service Centre yesterday wading through the water logged streets of Kolkata as it was Rainy Day Holiday at work.

I was greeted there by the manager and asked to go in for a Road Test with their head technician. I insisted that the Drive Shaft noise could be brought to their notice at their workshop itself and I did not need to take them for another round of Road Tests as the drive shaft would not show any defects while been driven on a straight road.

I asked them to be seated in the Car while I took the wheel. Aligned the car at 90 degrees from the driveway and turned the steering wheel to the maximum right and set off the clutch. The Cracking sound was more than prominent from the left hand side drive shaft. Repeated the act a few times to satiate their previous ambiguity.

The Head Technician requested me to go for a prolonged road test. I said fine and move out of their premises for an on-road test. Took a few U-Turns to again notify them of the sound from the left hand side drive shaft.

Something struck me and I thought why not check the right hand side drive shaft as well ?

So, now turned the car to the extreme left by taking a few round about turns a couple of times to notice a very faint cracking sound from the right hand side drive shaft as well. Shocking !!

Both the drive shafts determined to be faulty in nature. Drove the car back to their workshop where a Senior Service Personnel of Toyota personally took the car for another road test to Sound Record the Problem with the help of a webcam.

The Data extracted from the Sound Recorder was immediately mailed to Toyota Bangalore and they confirmed the Drive Shaft to be faulty and that they shall be replaced under warranty as approved by Toyota.

However, the Drive Shafts were not in stock and were ordered on priority basis. Most probably the issue will be resolved on the 18th of July 2015.

Keeping fingers crossed.