Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2016, 16:20   #76
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jaipur and Pune
Posts: 19
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
So what car are you driving now?
Call me nuts but right now I have a Punto Evo 1.3 Multijet!
Williams_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 18:15   #77
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Completed a Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore trip on my Stile a few weeks back. It was beautiful to drive this stretch as the roads are fantastic and in good condition. Plus it is pretty well barricaded in most of the places so it the drive is more enjoyable (Trip distance: 900 km). It was a bliss to drive the 1.6 on highways. Also did a B'lore - Mysore trip the following weekend (About 350 km). The car returned a pretty decent fuel economy of 15kmpl on both the occasions.

Luckily no issues of overheating with the car in both the trips. Once back from Mysore, I checked the radiator overflow tank. Coolant mix had reduced slightly, by about 150 - 200ml. Is losing some coolant a regular thing for a 1200 km trip? Anyways, topped it up and looked for any signs of leakage but couldn't find any. I now suspect the radiator cap as some of the coolant mix could be evaporating due to poor sealing of the cap.

However, one thing I did notice is how the temperature gauge behaves. It stays low all the time on the highway (way below the half-level mark) but suddenly rises to almost 3/4th mark if you drive for about 15 mins in traffic when you hit cities. Even in city driving, it hits the 3/4th mark during bumper to bumper traffic. The fan kicks in, and it comes down to half way mark (which is relieving). Can someone tell me when exactly the fan is supposed to kick in? As far as my observation goes, usually it would kick in just when the gauge crosses the half-way mark. But sometimes it doesn't kick in till the gauge hits the 3/4th mark. What could be the problem? Is the low-speed fan not kicking in sometimes and only the high-speed fan is working? On a slightly positive note, could it just be a faltering gauge?

The car never overheated or anything but I'm still bothered by it. Not able to pinpoint the heating 'issue' or not sure if the issue is only in my head.

I've also read that such behavior could be because of clogged radiators. Should I get a radiator flush done in that case? Anyways, this time around I would like to visit a showroom and get these things checked though it would mean me spending a little extra $$$. Any insights or suggestions are welcome, regarding this. Thanks folks for hearing me out

Last edited by sdubey23 : 14th December 2016 at 18:18.
sdubey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 18:24   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
vinit.merchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 850 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post

However, one thing I did notice is how the temperature gauge behaves. It stays low all the time on the highway (way below the half-level mark) but suddenly rises to almost 3/4th mark if you drive for about 15 mins in traffic when you hit cities. Even in city driving, it hits the 3/4th mark during bumper to bumper traffic. The fan kicks in, and it comes down to half way mark (which is relieving). Can someone tell me when exactly the fan is supposed to kick in? As far as my observation goes, usually it would kick in just when the gauge crosses the half-way mark. But sometimes it doesn't kick in till the gauge hits the 3/4th mark. What could be the problem? Is the low-speed fan not kicking in sometimes and only the high-speed fan is working? On a slightly positive note, could it just be a faltering gauge?

The car never overheated or anything but I'm still bothered by it. Not able to pinpoint the heating 'issue' or not sure if the issue is only in my head.
The 3/4th mark will be considered as overheating. Though I do not have a Stile, I do own its predecessor GTX.
Normal behavior: With AC on, the temp gauge will stay at 1/4th mark all the time, because the fan operates at high speed.
With the AC off, the temp gauge will rise to 1/2, at which point the fan speed will switch to high speed and bring it down to 1/3rd mark.

In any case, I feel (IMHO) it should not reach 3/4 before the fan switching to high speed mode. 3/4th mark is a little too high.
vinit.merchant is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 18:34   #79
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
The 3/4th mark will be considered as overheating. Though I do not have a Stile, I do own its predecessor GTX.
Normal behavior: With AC on, the temp gauge will stay at 1/4th mark all the time, because the fan operates at high speed.
With the AC off, the temp gauge will rise to 1/2, at which point the fan speed will switch to high speed and bring it down to 1/3rd mark.

In any case, I feel (IMHO) it should not reach 3/4 before the fan switching to high speed mode. 3/4th mark is a little too high.
Thanks Vinit. Same is the case with my brother's GTX. It never reaches such high temperatures. I rarely drive the car with the AC on (Car AC makes me feel sick). Will keep your observations as a benchmark and drive the car around a bit. See what happens and how the gauge behaves. By the way your opinion on the gauge? Could the gauge be faulty?
sdubey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 19:12   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 2,043 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
However, one thing I did notice is how the temperature gauge behaves. It stays low all the time on the highway (way below the half-level mark) but suddenly rises to almost 3/4th mark if you drive for about 15 mins in traffic when you hit cities. Even in city driving, it hits the 3/4th mark during bumper to bumper traffic. The fan kicks in, and it comes down to half way mark (which is relieving). Can someone tell me when exactly the fan is supposed to kick in? As far as my observation goes, usually it would kick in just when the gauge crosses the half-way mark. But sometimes it doesn't kick in till the gauge hits the 3/4th mark. What could be the problem? Is the low-speed fan not kicking in sometimes and only the high-speed fan is working? On a slightly positive note, could it just be a faltering gauge?

The car never overheated or anything but I'm still bothered by it. Not able to pinpoint the heating 'issue' or not sure if the issue is only in my head.

I've also read that such behavior could be because of clogged radiators. Should I get a radiator flush done in that case? Anyways, this time around I would like to visit a showroom and get these things checked though it would mean me spending a little extra $$$. Any insights or suggestions are welcome, regarding this. Thanks folks for hearing me out
Your fan resistor has gone bad. Because of the resistor going bad, the low speed isn't working. The high speed will kick in at 66-75% or when AC is on.

You need to get the part labelled "fan resistor" , check the part number and ordeer it from the showroom or 99rpm.

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/radiator-fan-1-6-palio.html

Get the water pump and the area behind it checked for leaks. Even I had minor leaks which werent at all visible. It was an O-ring behind the waterpump leaking. Part cost was 46rs.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 10:36   #81
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Your fan resistor has gone bad. Because of the resistor going bad, the low speed isn't working. The high speed will kick in at 66-75% or when AC is on.

You need to get the part labelled "fan resistor" , check the part number and ordeer it from the showroom or 99rpm.

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/radiator-fan-1-6-palio.html

Get the water pump and the area behind it checked for leaks. Even I had minor leaks which werent at all visible. It was an O-ring behind the waterpump leaking. Part cost was 46rs.
Thanks SunnyBoi. Comparing the symptoms of the problem and to what you have pointed out (faulty fan resistor) as the source for these symptoms, it looks like a direct correlation. Will definitely get the fan resistor checked and replaced if necessary along with a thorough check for any minor leaks. To be on the safer side, I will get a radiator flush done too. Will keep you guys updated once I manage to get this done.
sdubey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 11:17   #82
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 509
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
Thanks SunnyBoi. Comparing the symptoms of the problem and to what you have pointed out (faulty fan resistor) as the source for these symptoms, it looks like a direct correlation. Will definitely get the fan resistor checked and replaced if necessary along with a thorough check for any minor leaks. To be on the safer side, I will get a radiator flush done too. Will keep you guys updated once I manage to get this done.
When I had similar problem with respect to the temperature gauge needle showing high, I had got the radiator cleaned. Lot of dust had accumulated and hence the issue is what the mechanic had told. I would suggesr to get the radiator cleaned first and check if it solves the issue else get the fan resistor changed.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 12:00   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 2,043 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
Thanks SunnyBoi. Comparing the symptoms of the problem and to what you have pointed out (faulty fan resistor) as the source for these symptoms, it looks like a direct correlation. Will definitely get the fan resistor checked and replaced if necessary along with a thorough check for any minor leaks. To be on the safer side, I will get a radiator flush done too. Will keep you guys updated once I manage to get this done.
If you want to do it properly, get hold of someone with a scanner that works on fiats. There is a menu within the software to check for relays and working of fans.

Here's me testing my car's high speed fan and check if its working as expected. If it doesn't, you'll know immediately there is a problem with the resistor or fan relay. No need of waiting for the car to warm up or misdiagnosing. You can see there is an option to check the low speed (fan 1st speed) as well.

Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!-img_20150819_19305001.jpeg

Name:  IMG_20150819_193050001.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  98.4 KB

Regarding the leak arund the waterpump, its not visible unless you put the car on the ramp. Here's how the leak on my car looked

Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!-10.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 15th December 2016 at 12:03.
SunnyBoi is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:12   #84
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 509
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Folks,

Need some help and guidance. I had plans to upgrade my brakes (complete set - discs, rotors, caliper etc) but had put it on the back burner. Now that I have some time (read moolah! ) I want to upgrade them now as the OEM brakes are nothing to talk about. I was planning to go for brembo but not sure where to source them. Any suggestions if brembo does have something for palio stile or should I look at other brands? Also what would be the approx cost for the entire set up?
TorqueyTechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:49   #85
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 509
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

I had updated on a different thread regarding the puncture fix done at tyre professionals (Tyre Professionals (Bangalore)). I had got it fixed on the last week of november but was noticing that every week there was drop in air pressure. But again since I was not using car at all for past 2-3 weeks I thought it may be because of some other issue and neglected. Last week I took the car out and filled the air again and started using car regularly. Now I noticed that within 2 days air pressure had reduced again.

So this weekend I went back to them and they verified and confirmed that the tire is damaged and nothing can be done. Even fixing again will not help. They suggested me to change the tire itself. (Tires are itself fairly new. Have run just 10000km since changed) Somehow I kept my cool and asked them to put in a tube. They again came back with a used tube and when asked said they will check before putting it in. Found that it already had a hole in it so they had to get a different one. This time I went with them inside and made sure that they got a new packaged one. After verifying that this one is good got it installed. Have been using it since 2 days now and luckily it is holding well. But I am still skeptical about having a tube especially with still a small wedge of the old mushroom puncture strip protruding inside the tyre. I hope that the tube holds well as I have a long ride coming over this weekend.

Unfortunately this incident has definitely left a sore taste for me. I am really skeptical for going to them again. They also do not acknowledge their mistake at all. I had asked my friend who was looking out for a good place to change his vehicle's tires to check out a different place rather than coming here.
TorqueyTechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 12:44   #86
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 509
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Folks,

Last week when I had given my car for service I had asked them to check some noise that was coming from the rear tires. They inspected and suggested that the rear shocks are worn out and needs to be replaced. The mechanic said that they use from a brand called Excell and it is good. Since I had not heard about the brand much asked them not to install it for the time being. Would like to get suggestions from the experts here :

1. How is the Excell brand? Is it good to go ahead with that.
2. I was thinking of replacing both front and rear shocks together. Since the ride is little harsh I would like to go with a slightly softer option. Is it good to change it?
3. Any other brand suggestions?
TorqueyTechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 14:40   #87
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks,

Need some help and guidance. I had plans to upgrade my brakes (complete set - discs, rotors, caliper etc) but had put it on the back burner. Now that I have some time (read moolah! ) I want to upgrade them now as the OEM brakes are nothing to talk about. I was planning to go for brembo but not sure where to source them. Any suggestions if brembo does have something for palio stile or should I look at other brands? Also what would be the approx cost for the entire set up?
I also feel that the brakes on the palio are very weak. But, I have no idea what upgrade options are available for brakes. So, sorry I am worse than useless in this case and will not be able help you in any way

On the other hand, miraculously, the heating issues that I have been facing seem to have solved itself. The temp gauge stays under the halfway mark all the time and the moment it hits the half mark the fan comes on beautifully and brings it down to the original position.

Also, recently I had an issue with some bloody rats eating up a bunch of wiring and the cloth padding around the engine bay in my Palio . So I called my battery shop guy (Henzileta batteries on Jeevanbima Nagar Main Road) and he referred me to an electrician friend of his called Zia. He has an auto-electricals shop in Marathalli. The guy came along with his mechanic friend looked into it and he patched it up pretty well. I asked him if I need to replace the wiring kit as I was not too comfortable with the patchwork. He said it's fine and I need not bother about it. He did a pretty good job of it and after 4 weeks the patch job he fixed seems to be holding well still. He charged about 400 bucks for the job but charged me another 500 for coming all the way to indiranagar. I told him that it was a tad expensive but considering he had to close his garage early on to do this and also pay the mechanic to join him along. I felt it was kinda fair and very happy that the car was fine and working well. Moreover, the only other option was to toe the car which would be even worse. But what I liked about the guy is the quality and assurance of his work. He knew everything about cars including the fiat. His garage is in Kaggadasapura which is close by for my residence in Indiranagar. Also, along with electrical work he also does all mechanical, painting, tinkering work as well. Thought it'll be good to have his and the electrician's number handy in case of anything. If you guys are around Indiranagar/ Kaggadaspura/ Marathalli/ JB Nagar or surrounding areas in B'ore, you can reach out to these guys as I have seen them do their work and am pretty impressed by it. Sharing their contact details for reference:

Zia (Auto Electrician): 08660329141
Amjad (Mechanic): 09591662688

Also, do any of you guys have a remote unlock installed on your car? Any suggestions on what are some good brands and compatible with Fiat? I hate using the key to unlock my car all the time and also, the key is slightly bent making it difficult to use. My budget is about 3,000 bucks for this. Is that good enough? Will I be able to get something in that range? Please let me know. Thanks

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2017 at 15:09. Reason: 2 smileys max, as per the Team-BHP rules
sdubey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 16:42   #88
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 509
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
Also, do any of you guys have a remote unlock installed on your car? Any suggestions on what are some good brands and compatible with Fiat? I hate using the key to unlock my car all the time and also, the key is slightly bent making it difficult to use. My budget is about 3,000 bucks for this. Is that good enough? Will I be able to get something in that range? Please let me know. Thanks
For the remote unlock, I have Autocop branded one. (though currently its not working as I need to replace the battery). I think 3000 should be good enough.

Update on my car : Car was always getting overheated from the past three weeks and it used to be so bad in stop-go traffic. The needle used to be always at 3/4th level with the A/C on. I got a call from Vecto motors for a pre summer camp (usually checks done) . Though I didnt want to go and give the car there , i thought of getting this checked at the service center. I went and gave the car for service along with mentioning about the issue. The advisor told me that it may be because of cracked hoses but I had already replaced them. He suggested to do a complete radiator overhaul as the dust would have blocked the proper flow.

To cut a long story short, they did the complete overhaul (promised in 2 days but took 4 days ) but now the car is not overheating any more. The needle stays put at 25% though its been just 2 days since I got it back. Will test for some more time and then confirm if the heating is indeed rectified.
TorqueyTechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 13:22   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 2,043 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks,

Need some help and guidance. I had plans to upgrade my brakes (complete set - discs, rotors, caliper etc) but had put it on the back burner. Now that I have some time (read moolah! ) I want to upgrade them now as the OEM brakes are nothing to talk about. I was planning to go for brembo but not sure where to source them. Any suggestions if brembo does have something for palio stile or should I look at other brands? Also what would be the approx cost for the entire set up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
I also feel that the brakes on the palio are very weak. But, I have no idea what upgrade options are available for brakes. So, sorry I am worse than useless in this case and will not be able help you in any way
I wrote this guide a few years in how to upgrade the brakes on a Palio. However, it is almost next to impossible to get these parts nowadays.

http://www.myfiatworld.com/showthread.php?t=1033
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 13:58   #90
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 509
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Black Italian: My Fiat Palio 1.6S Stile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I wrote this guide a few years in how to upgrade the brakes on a Palio. However, it is almost next to impossible to get these parts nowadays.

http://www.myfiatworld.com/showthread.php?t=1033
Thanks SunnyBoi. I had actually seen this thread sometime back when I was contemplating upgrade of the brakes. But paucity of time and money kept it for the back burner. Can you give me some leads as to where you sourced the parts? and where you got all the related work completed? I can give it a try and see if I can source it.
TorqueyTechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life! funkykar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 69 6th November 2010 15:54
Pre-owned Optra / Pre-owned Accent CRDi / New Tata Indigo ashthedivx Sedans 15 24th February 2007 14:03
pre-owned Baleno vs pre-owned Accent vs ikon flair rohantn Sedans 36 16th February 2007 20:27
pre-owned Wagon R or pre-owned Bolero - pls advice rohantn Hatchbacks 26 7th February 2007 17:02
Pre-owned Ford mondeo vs Pre-owned Skoda octavia azifali Sedans 6 24th July 2006 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks