Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th August 2015, 06:59   #1
BHPian

Default White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter

Act 1, Scene 1:

"I'm quitting my job and joining a startup"
"We'll have to move to Gurgaon"
"I want to buy a new car!"

"What? What? What?" She says. I let the information sink in. I can see the panic in her eyes as she reaches for a glass of water at the table.
I wait for 30 seconds for this onslaught to sink in. I know her. I can visually imagine the thought transformation in her head – he’s crazy to it can be done.
"Ok! What's the plan?" she says, giving me one of her determined smiles.

This was two months ago.

Buying a new car was not in the agenda. We were very satisfied with the Accent Viva & the Alto K10, which were being used by my wife and me, respectively. Both had done about 60K kms, the Accent, a little long in the tooth with 10 years of family ownership, and the Alto with 3 years of running around.

We were content. Then I read the review at teambhp for the Polo GT TSI.

As a parent, there are some kids’ stores, play areas that you dearly wish that your child does not notice on the weekend trip to the mall. You know once that they have seen it, it’s going to be an uphill task to distract them from experiencing the same. This is what happened with me – I was transformed from the parent to the child.

The Polo has always been a good looking car. It has clean lines and solid build with quality paint work that I have always enjoyed admiring. This was in my consideration set, when I went to buy the Alto. However, lacklustre 1.2L 3 cylinder engine stopped me from taking the plunge. Enter the dynamic duo – TSI & DSG. Like Jai – Veeru to Basanti in distress, this duo, at-least on paper, made the Polo the best contender in the list of desirable hot hatches in the country.

After going through multiple threads, I concluded that the DSG 200 (updated) is relatively niggle free, extended warranty should be taken and that the car costs as much as the Vento on road!

Did I really need a new car? Not really.

Mind said - it’s an infatuation; heart said – you only live once!; Wifey said – It’s okay to pamper yourself!

2 out of 3, the vote was in!

Act 1, Scene 2:

“I’m planning to buy a hatchback which costs Rs. 9.5 lacs OTR”
Dad – “Are you insane? With that kind of money you can buy a sedan”
“But it has a DSG & TSI motor – fun to drive”
“But really, 9.5 lacs for a hatchback? Will it seat 4 people & at least carry 2 suitcases?”

Little did we know that this theory would be put to the test soon enough!

The last hurdle in finalizing the deal was the launch of the new Jazz. The Jazz was looking good, had amazing practical space and was a Honda! The acid test would be how the 1.2 L engine performed.

The Polo Test Drive
First up was actually taking the Polo for a test drive. For that we scheduled a Sunday and landed up at Viraj Automobiles, Sector 5, Noida. After an initial wait of 10 minutes, as all salespersons were not well versed with the TSI, we met with Ajay. He showed us the car, explained some of the features and arranged for a test drive.

The test drive vehicle was a pre-2015 model. Since this was a first time I was driving an automatic, the driver explained the steps involved as well as the concept of using only the right foot. My mother had come along for the test drive. She sat in the back while I drove the vehicle.

Coming from the Japanese / Korean manufacturers, the car felt sturdier. The 3 stage doors close with a resounding thud that gives you a feeling of being cocooned. The interior is well put together, a little outdated, but clearly functional. The seats offered good back support and with rake and reach, the driver seat adjustments gave me the desired driving position.
Start the engine and put the DSG in Drive and the Polo moves forward without any input from the accelerator for a little distance. It’s eerie to have to not use your left hand and leg to shift up and down. All you have is a big brake pedal and an accelerator! The test drive proved to be effortless. We took a large detour with us touching the beginning of the Greater Noida expressway to stretch the legs of the engine. The driver was helpful in giving practical advice on the DSG - when to neutral, upshift / downshift, sport, etc. The gear changes were seamless. Even if I tried noticing the shift, it was really a little too fast for me to take note of. The steering was responsive, the car nimble between gaps and Mom was happy with the space and comfort in the back! Overall, everything and more that I was expecting from the TD. I leave the impressions of the Sport mode for the last of the TD.

Slot the DSG to S. Transform. That’s all I could think of. The car surges forward with every minute change in the acceleration – an extension of your limb, that fluid. There is no way that you can stop the idiot like grin coming on to your face! This is a total ‘paisa vasool’.

Coming back to reality, we reached the showroom and reluctantly parted with the TD vehicle. Sitting down with the sales rep, we finally got down to negotiating the details of the pricing.

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2015 at 13:11. Reason: Taking live
prateekswarup is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 09:07   #2
BHPian

Default re: White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter

The car would cost me approx. Rs. 9.8 L on road with UP registration (Noida). This would include the extended +2 years (total 4 years) warranty as well as RSA. Discounts / freebies the dealer offered after negotiations were:
  • Foot mats, car cover, mud flaps, seat covers & wind visor for the doors
  • Rs. 7000 additional discount
  • Zero depreciation insurance quote was brought down from Rs. 38K to Rs. 31K
  • Corporate discount of Rs. 1500

I also spoke to him regarding the sale / exchange of my Alto K10. It is also a UP Noida registered car. Fortunately, there was an employee in the showroom who was looking to purchase an Alto K10. The Sales Rep got us introduced, a test drive was taken of the Alto and commercials were discussed. The payment for the Alto K10 purchase would be deducted from the Polo purchase that I had to pay the showroom.

With all this discussed, we almost closed the deal for the Polo. The GT TSI comes in only 3 colours – Red, Slate Grey and White. Although the slate grey looked good, we already had a black car at home, and maintenance of the same, in crazy NCR traffic is always a pain. Having two would just add to the heartache. The red optimized the sport philosophy and it looked quite stunning.

For the Red & Grey, there was a waiting period of 2 weeks. For the white, they had 2 in stock from May & Jun 2015. We opted to have a look at the white lying in the stockyard, as we were not able to visualize white well, but it looked good in the GT TSI brochure they provided.

One look at the White and we were sold. The black accents of the headlight, the interior (all black), the glossy black OVRMs and the glossy back extended rear spoiler, all added to give the best effect, in our opinion, in white. White, the general consensus was, overall easier to maintain.
It took a great deal of self-control to not finalize the Polo then and there.

The Jazz Test Drive

Immediately after the visit to the Polo showroom, we decided to sample the new Jazz. The Jazz has always had a soft corner in my heart, and this started from the earlier model. For me the earlier Jazz stood for immense practicality of space, good looks and the hallowed Honda badge. The new Jazz promised to live up to the same theme, but with more spunk.
As I walked into the Honda showroom, I could not help but notice the difference in ambiance and overall environment. There were a lot of people in the showroom compared to VW. Sales Rep were running around, customers were inspecting the various cars on display, all tables were occupied – a general humdrum of activity was clearly visible in the showroom. Despite the volume of customers, we were promptly attended by the front desk and immediately assigned a Sales Rep.

We got down to the meat of the discussion immediately. Since the Jazz was newly launched, there was a lot of buzz around all the display cars. The one that really stood out was the orange one with the sporty spoiler. First impressions were good – a very spacious interior, quality of fittings were good, comfortable back seats, huge boot space. Mom was clearly impressed with the space management, especially after coming from seeing a Polo. However, shut lines did not seem to be uniform across, overall gaps in panel were more than the Polo.

We asked for a test drive and were promptly offered one. They did not have the CVT available, so a manual petrol 1.2L was taken. As with the Polo, Mom sat in the back to gauge rear space and comfort. Getting into a comfortable driving position did not take long. Start the engine and the refinement is quite good. The doors do not shut as solidly as a Polo, but they cocoon you well in the overall space. The large airy cabin gives you a fairly decent view of the road. Mom commented on the generosity of space at the rear.
Shift the gear to first and the Jazz accelerates evenly. I drove it around in the city alternating between back alleys and main road. The instrument cluster gives a green glow on your driving in ECO mode. The car pulls cleanly from almost every gear and gear ratios are pretty short and timed for city driving. The bumps are subdued by the soft suspension setup and Mom said overall rear seat comfort was slightly better.
The instrument cluster with its blue back-lighting looks cool and modern. The amount of storage space in terms of cubby holes and luggage slots is really amazing. The TD and display car did not have the magic seats, so we went to the basement where all the cars were, so see one with magic seats. The highest variant gets the larger 6 inch AVN whereas the middle variant gets the 5 inch display. The interior is exactly the same as the City, with the touch based ACC unit, etc.

Post the test drive, we sat down with the sales rep. They did not have a CVT in stock. A CVT TD car will be available in the coming weeks. If we want to try the CVT, we can try the City (like really a 1.2 & 1.5L engine would behave the same). Non automatic pricing was good and seemed value for money. The CVT (not available in the top model) was priced approx. Rs. 9.4 lacs on road for Noida (U.P). Delivery would be made 2 – 3 weeks after booking as there was a 2 – 3 weeks waiting period for the Jazz. There would be no discounts offered and the buy back of my Alto was proposed at Rs. 1.5 lacs.

Behind the Scenes

After going through all the salient points of both the test drives, I seriously re-evaluated the need to see any other car. I had established mentally
  • that I was willing to spend approx. Rs. 10 lac on buying a new vehicle
  • would prefer a hatch back as I already had a sedan and my office parking / city driving needed a hatch back
  • Since my daily running would not be more than 10 kms, petrol was the obvious choice

Features of the car:
  • Power windows – all
  • ACC
  • ABS
  • 2 airbags minimum
  • Solid built quality
  • Good handler
  • Sporty character
  • Comfortable seating for long drives
  • Mature handling & stability

This was in the initial consideration set. However, I was still conflicted whether to buy an automatic or not. Traffic in Delhi NCR had increased over the last 3 years since I returned. Now the whole half clutch, bumper to bumper traffic was getting annoying. Automatics had a come a long way in terms of technology in India. The 4 geared, lacklustre performing gearboxes seemed to be history, with a host of 6 speed ones making an entry. Almost every hatchback in the B+ segment has an auto-box. In this scenario, if I had to purchase an automatic, I would want it to be sporty in nature.

The Jazz had ticked off all the right boxes:
  • Very practical space management – amazing for the long trips with a 2 year old baby with her nanny, toys, etc (For all parents, I’m sure that you’ll understand the actual utilization of the rear seat and boot that a child and the luggage take up!)
  • Frugal engine with good in city drivability
  • Famed Honda badge for resale
  • Competent dealer network

However, if I was going to spend 1 million rupees on a car, I had to really like using it. That’s where I felt the Jazz lost out on the Polo TSI + DSG. The sheer attraction of owning of combination like that was mouth-watering and appealed to the vanity of a 30 year old reliving his college days.
So no matter how practical the Jazz was, the Polo GT was what the heart wanted.

The Buying Experience

Having decided that I will be going for the Polo, I decided to take my wife along the next visit to actually have a look at the car and give her acquiesce and add some last minute rationality to the purchase. The booking amount was Rs. 10000, which was refundable. The Sales Manager, Mr. Ajay was very cooperative and allowed me a re-look of the 2 white GTs lying in the stockyard. After going through both of them, finally shortlisted the June MFD one over the May 2015 MFD. The resale of the Alto was also finalized with Rajnish (works at Viraj). The handover would take place on the day when I received my Polo from the showroom.

The VIN number was allotted and next came the payment formalities and registration details. Since my father was coming to visit us on the Independence Day weekend, I wanted to take the delivery of the car with him. Mom was already with us, so this would become like a family event for all of us. For payment, I was going with 70% down payment (including Alto resale) and 30% loan. Since I was planning to return the loan amount in the next 1 year or so, I wanted an EMI plan that did not have a penalty clause of closure of loan before the tenure.

This left me with SBI as the bank and an interest rate of 10.3%.

The Little Things

The booking was done in the last week of July and I had good 15 days to go for delivery. Plan was to submit all my loan approval papers by 1st week of August, get the loan sanctioned and pay the rest through RTGS. I would do a team-bhp PDI post sanction of loan and then send the car for registration. The delivery date was finalized as the 16th of August, 2015. Hopefully by then the car’s registration would also be done.

‘Man proposes, God disposes!’

As luck would have it, since I was shifting from Noida to Gurgaon, changing my organization in the beginning of August, some confusion ensured in the paperwork for the loan (partly my fault as I mistakenly gave my new rental accommodation receipt of Gurgaon instead of the Noida one), partly VW Viraj’s fault as their finance person was on leave for the 1st week of August and the file was not sent to SBI in time to support my timeline. The bank wanted to meet me before finalizing the loan and since I had now shifted to Gurgaon, traveling to Noida on a working day (that, too, 4 days old in a new organization) put a damper on the proceedings.

‘Where there is a will, there is a way’

Enter my parents to the rescue. Since already so much of a hullabaloo was already created by me for purchasing the car and I was getting the Alto replaced, my parents decided to loan me the remaining 30% that I was falling short off. By now it was already the 10th of August. This means that we would not be able to register the car before taking delivery. I talked to Ajay and he explained that the car can be driven on the temporary registration till one month.

The final course of action taken was:
  • All payments except the amount in cash would be credited to the showroom by 13th of August, 2015
  • The car would undergo the showroom’s PDI on the 14th and be ready for us on temporary registration on the 16th, when we visited.
  • Since the car was not sent for registration, I would be able to replace the car if my PDI on the 16th did not pass muster
  • If all went well, we would exchange the Alto and drive home in the new Polo!
  • Registration papers & number plate would be given by the Rakhi weekend, when I would be visiting Noida

D Day

On the 16th, after much leg pulling by my father, we set out from Gurgaon at 11 AM in the Alto. I think that this was the 1st time that the Alto was being used to full capacity – 4 adults and 1 child. The time given to Viraj Automobiles in Noida was around 12:30 PM. On reaching the showroom, we could see a white Polo being readied in earnest.

Entering the showroom, a small notice board had a message congratulating us on our purchase. My father saw the car for the first time and commented that it looked bigger than he had imagined. I gave him a brief tour of the car – showing him the boot space and rear seating – an area where he had expressed concern. Overall, he seemed to be satisfied with the car.

There is something about a well maintained shining white colour car. With all cleaned and polished, the Polo really looked awesome! I took out my team-bhp PDI checklist and went through the process of checking the VIN number, engine number, under body condition, physical inspection of both interior and exterior. Once satisfied, we got down to final aspects of the payment, received the receipt. The accessories that I had asked for were already installed. However, the seat covers that I had requested were not available. Since they were still putting finishing touches on the car, me and the family went out for a quick lunch, with the assurance that the car will be ready to take home!

After lunch, a meal I could hardly savour, due to the anticipation, we promptly reached the showroom to find the car all ready. The delivery manager took time to explain the features of the car, the DSG usage, the reverse parking sensor, the unique lock and unlock mechanism of the fuel lid and the boot, the functions of the key fob, the MID settings, the car music system and Bluetooth pairing with steering controls – whew! Then I was steered towards the customer relationship manager, Swati, who welcomed me to the VW family, gave me all the receipts of the payment, explained all the booklets, the service interval and help line numbers. She also mentioned that she will be following up for my registration certificate and will inform me once it arrives at the showroom.

After that we got the mandatory photo taken with Ajay & the Polo. They instantly gave me the final photo with a VW Beetle photo frame to carry home. A box of chocolates and a bouquet was given to the family. We thanked Ajay, Swati and the rest of the showroom staff for their hospitality and set out!

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th September 2015 at 17:34.
prateekswarup is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 08:01   #3
BHPian

Default My White Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter

The First Drive!

Even though I have been driving for almost 15 years now, the thrill of driving home in a brand new car, with that new car smell, is always a new experience. Although the delivery manager had explained about the DSG, driving out of the showroom, without using a clutch and changing gears was – well, different.

With four adults and a child, the car was completely packed. Before heading out to Gurgaon, I had decided on a few accessories and a temple visit to thank the Almighty and bless the new entrant to the family. After finishing the two tasks, we set out for Gurgaon. By then it was almost 6 PM. travelling the by-lanes of Sector 16 auto market and then sector 27 of Noida, in peak Sunday traffic, near GIP Mall, the importance of having opted for a hatchback gave returns. The car, almost fully loaded, worked around most driving situations easily. It was quite a boon to travel in bumper to bumper traffic without having to use the clutch and gear. I was able to up the fun quotient a bit, when we hit the NH8 expressway between Dhaula Kuan and Gurgaon – slotted the car into Sports and weaved through traffic like a hot knife through butter.

Driveability , Power & Handling

I have a daily work commute of 8kms, both to and fro. Weekend trips stretch to 60 to 80kms of highway driving. So, on an average, the city : highway ratio would be 70 : 30. Having almost completed 800kms of driving, here are some observations on the Power and Handling of the GT:
  • The Engine is a gem! The low end torque from 2nd gear onwards on D mode is sufficient to pull the car from low speeds to 60 – 70kmph effortlessly without you realizing that it has reached such speeds.
  • Most gear shifts, both upshift and downshift have been smooth till now. I have experienced one or two jerks while shifting, mainly due to sudden changes in traffic flow (low speed to suddenly fast to cover gap). I haven’t really been able to replicate this jerk. The jerk is, however, quite strong and gives an unnerving feeling of something amiss.
  • The DSG does not require the gear button to be pressed when shifting to D to N and vice-versa. This is quite thoughtful as it makes it very convenient to shift to N when in standstill traffic or red lights.
  • The trip-tronic manual has been used once or twice, just to understand how it works. The concept is good, but if one has to consistently use the left hand to shift gears, it kind of defeats the purpose of having an automatic. Much needed replacement - paddle shifts.
  • Driving on NH8 to cover the Gurgaon to Dhaula Kuan (approx. 15kms) is what I would call the highway stretch for me in Gurgaon. It is here that I have had the opportunity to use the S mode. Using an S mode in relatively city traffic gives a feel of having a caged tiger. The engine is revving to 3000 rpm, the car is super responsive, but back of your mind you are afraid of the congestion playing spoil sport to the FTD factor. On the highway, the S mode is pure delight. You will always have the car in a power band that begs the pedal-to-the-floor treatment. Whatever the speed, a nudge to the throttle and gaps are covered easily. It is almost with regret that you have to shift up to D mode after such a spirited performance. The engine note is an absolute delight in the S mode and frankly, addictive enough to mute the music!
  • Suspension setup is stiffer than the Accent, not sure how it fares up against the Alto K10. The bigger portholes do evoke a ‘thud’ like sound. Overall, comfort is there on bad roads, but you cannot drive fast without feeling the bumps. This setup really shines when you are driving at higher speeds of 60kmph or more. The ride is planted, and with the accurate steering feedback, the point-and-shoot kind of driving becomes addictive. Cornering has taken a whole new meaning with this setup – automatically you will feel more confident taking corners at far higher speeds than I could with the Accent / Alto. For example, if I was cornering at a certain section at 40kmph earlier, with the Polo, the speed has effortlessly gone up to 60kmph.
  • The steering is comfortable to use both in city and highways. Low speed turning is effortless and high speed stability is good – none of the ‘twichiness’ you would associate with the Accent or even the Alto. Turning radius is adequate for U turns at most places, but this has to be planned in advance. The only grouse that I have is the location of the horn pad. You really have to move your hand to access the horn pad – unlike the Accent / Alto, where a slight shift of the thumb was sufficient!
  • The front overhang of the Polo is prone to scrapping bottom of some deep potholes. This is something that I have been noticing for a while. For roads in Gurgaon, this means that one has to be extra careful navigating the streets which are littered with such craters.
  • Current mileage of the 1st 800 kms is approx 12.5 kmpl, using a tank full to tank full method.

The Interior Fit & Finish:

Step into the Polo with its three stage door opening mechanism, you are greeted with an all-black interior that exudes practicality and class. There is a certain maturity in the layout that cannot be matched with the Hyundais and Marutis of the world.

None of the fancy angled buttons, creases and uber chic console designs that are made for the cell-phone generation. This one is promptly for the Bakelite telephone junta. With a slight angle towards the driver, the centre console is surrounded by a piano black finish. The component units are of matte grey / black offering good tactile feedback. The chrome garnish is visible across the AC vents hinting at the premium-ness of the interior. Each vent has its independent open / close option along with vertical and horizontal movement.

There a number of cubby holes in the front and back. Mind you, this no Jazz in terms of the storage space, but each door pocket can house a 500ml bottle (only front doors) along with map type storage slits. The front console is given 2 such coffee cup slots, one pocket for mobile storage / wallet storage. A much needed change tray is present under the handbrake. It is supposed to be for storing mobiles, but my iPhone 6 plus does not fit in the slot. Overall, fairly decent space for everyday use.

The top of the dashboard is smoothly flat with a crease defining the driver centric angle of the central console. The glovebox is sized okay and matches the Accent glovebox space. The little attention to detail to notice here is the rubber bushing in the glove compartment to prevent rattling.

The music system is adequate for a casual listener like me. There are 4 speakers at each door (6 inchers, I think) and a RCD320 head unit that is standard across the Polo line-up. The head units pros and cons have been debated extensively in the forum, so I will not get into the specifics of the same.

What I liked:
  • Can play music using SD, AUX and USB – much needed options in current scenario
  • Connected to the steering mounted controls – volume and track changes. This is something that you do not realize that you need till you start getting used to it. After a couple of days, it becomes an integral part of the comfort factor.
  • Bluetooth connectivity – when it works, for using the mobile phone. Both Bluetooth audio streaming and call options.

What I Disliked:
  • No NAV for such a top-line variant. Getting one from the VW dealership would cost an extra 50K
  • The Bluetooth pairing is not accurate most of the time. Many forum members have reported this issue with the unit. Solution is to re-crank the engine and repair every time such an instance happens. Very irritating and spoils the whole premium feel.

The Automatic Climate Control

One of the new upgrades from both the Alto and Accent is the ACC. The convenience of having the temperature modulated without manual intervention is quite handy. The AC of the Polo seems to be just effective in my opinion. The Alto was good, and the Accent is very good. The Polo is somewhere between the two. However, there is a slight doubt and concern that the AC will not be able to pass muster the scorching heat of Delhi NCR in peak summers.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed on this. Maybe will take inputs for transparent sun-film when the time comes.

The overall console for the ACC is quite good with the knobs and buttons exuding quality and longevity. The functions are easy to use and it does not take rocket science to set it up from a manual system. The blower is a little loud from 3/4th MAX speed, and I typically run it below Middle speed to have that peace and quiet.

The Instrument Cluster & Steering:

Like I mentioned earlier, this is more of a functional and mature cabin and this is visible in the instrument cluster. No fancy rings, oval shapes, etc. Two simple round meters – tacho and speedometer. A middle space used by the MID – the latest one with the white display.

The steering wheel stalks are of good quality. Movement is pretty smooth and the lane changer option is easily distinguishable from the regular indicator. The positions are revered, as with European cars, with wipers to the right and light to the left.

The light cluster is typical Euro spec. Still getting the hang of it as I was used to switching off the lights before exiting the car, from the steering stalks. A conscious effort has to be made to switch off using the lights panel.

Headlight throw is pretty okay, although I have not any driving in heavy rain / fog to gauge their effectiveness. Members in the forum have mentioned that an upgrade to better bulbs is required for highway driving. The fog lights have not been used, but I have seen the demo of using them as cornering light in the showroom. Seems like a nifty feature to have. Wonder if it will be of any practical use though.

The steering offers both rake and reach. This is very helpful in getting the required driving position. Again, something that is expected in such a priced car.

Tyres & Alloys

The car is shod with Goodyear tyres. Somehow, both the TSIs available in the stockyard had Goodyears, so element of choice was not there. The alloy wheels are different from the current Polo / Vento ones as well as the older Polo / Vento designs. These are something different.

I do not say that they look best on the car, having seen some of the aftermarket ones on some of our members' modded Polos, but I think they are adequate as of now. A set of black alloys would really make the car stand out, but I'm holding the purchase for later.

The Goodyears offer decent grip, having driven on both semi-pukka and paved roads. Road noise over 80kmph is audible, but not intrusive to spoil the driving experience. A longish drive is required for more testing, though.

Interior and Boot Space

The overall interior space is more inclined towards the front passengers. The head room as well as leg room is fairly good for a 6 foot front passenger / driver. The rear is cramped with respect to the Accent. However, thanks to the overall window space the back is quite airy and does not give the claustrophobia feel.

The boot is fairly big and can fit up to 2 medium size suitcase along with 2 bags easily. Although they have given bag hooks in the boot, the omission of a boot light is quite sad - my 2004 accent has this feature. There is a parcel tray which is of good quality.

Some initial observations:
  • Visibility was good all across and the OVRMs do a good job of letting you know about those around you.
  • The IVRM works well, but, the rear window has limited visibility, especially with 2 adults seated in the back.
  • The ACC is good, but since it was rainy season, did not get to effectively test the cooling. Next year summers will be the acid test. The blower is loud after 3/4th of max setting, but I guess the same is true for my Alto & the Accent.
  • Mom liked the Titanswartch upholstery
  • Dad liked the concept of automatic (he has been dreading to drive in the city)
  • Wife enjoyed the build quality and the safety features. She really enjoyed the Sports mode on our weekend trip on the Greater Noida expressway. I had to ask her to return the driving right to me, which she was reluctant to do so!
  • Overall fit and finish is superb
  • There is an initial lag when starting at red lights, but manageable
  • There is a flat spot in the 45 to 60 km/hr range, where the DSG does not upshift quickly
  • The ambience lighting is red and orange (for the door locks on the driver side), which looks cool. Thankfully this version has the white MID instead of the red the earlier Polo's had. This white gives a much better feel and read at night.
  • Unlocking the car leads to the ambient lighting in the front foot-wells light up along with the reading light. Gives a very nice yellow glow which reminds me of a warm fireplace - very welcoming.

Minor Additions:
  • Set of plastic matting for Rs. 800
  • One Ganeshji idol
  • 1 set of rubber inserts for all the door pockets from ebay
  • One silicon red key fob cover

Enough writing, posting some pictures of the beauty!

The ageless front design with the hallowed GT logo:
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-img_1818.jpg

The well proportioned derričre:
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-img_1820.jpg

The GT pedigree spoiler:
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-img_1821.jpg

The money shot:
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-img_1822.jpg

The different alloys:
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-img_1823.jpg

The profile picture:
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-img_1824.jpg

You talking to me punk?
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-img_1825.jpg

The brains behind it all:
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-img_1826.jpg

The cool in Mr. Cool:
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-img_1827.jpg

The night life:
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1443319404.798304.jpg

The cockpit:
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1443319438.238041.jpg

More photos to be shared once I get the seat covers done.

Finally, summing up my experience in the last 800kms that I have driven:

• Amazing fun to drive factor, especially in Sports mode
  • Good fit and finish
  • Convenience of an automatic
  • Well built for safety - EPS, ABS, Hill Hold, etc. along with 2 airbags

Not so nice:
  • Just missed the OVRM turn indicators with auto folding function
  • Poor rear visibility
  • Paying Rs. 9.5 lacs on road - no reverse parking camera
  • Low ground clearance - especially while getting into deep potholes
  • bluetooth pairing temperamental with the head unit

Thanks and acknowledgements:
  • The team-bhp community for being supportive of petrolheads in general
  • The Amazing Official Review as well as the numerous ownership logs of the GT TSI - the reason why I am writing this ownership review
  • Frank Mehta's / The Saint's GT thread - for the umpteen mods that will make the car a money pit
  • Gannu's GT TDI thread - for the amazing DIYs that are inspiring me
  • Mods for maintaining the forum's quality
  • Last but not the least, the members of the forum who add value to the one thing we are so passionate about - cars

@Mods - request you to approve posts to be clubbed and shared on the ownership section. Request you to change the title to - 'My VW Polo 1.2 GT TSI - The 'Heart' of the matter'

Last edited by prateekswarup : 2nd October 2015 at 11:15. Reason: Spacing, added new content
prateekswarup is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 10:25   #4
BHPian

Default White Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter

Some pics of the interiors:

The emperor's new clothes!
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445143067.082823.jpg

The glow in the dark matting!
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445143125.056565.jpg

The double layer matting
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445143199.966875.jpg

Driver centric cockpit
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445143242.372479.jpg

The boot space
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445143294.212774.jpg

White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445143334.803669.jpg

The small but significant things!
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445143358.121349.jpg
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445143388.193461.jpg

Backbenchers!
White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445143411.710398.jpg

2500km update:

Drove down to Chandigarh in the long weekend. Really had a great time with the TSI. Caught up with a free flow modified V6 accord that kept taunting me from GT Karnal road to Chandigarh. What a sound and pickup of that beast! In the whole effort of keeping the accord in sights, never realised that I had touched high speeds! The sports mode was used very frequently to pick up speed and overtake nimbly through out the drive. Even after 250 km of harsh driving in high speeds, mileage of 12.5 kmpl was a revelation.

The seats were comfortable and not once did I feel the need to get out and really stretch my back.
Wife also loved the whole comfort and stability of the car in the long drive to and fro Chandigarh. The from seats recline all the way to the back, making an almost vertical bed for comfortable napping. The well planted drive ensured that she slept peacefully.

Got the number plates changed to then Europe type ones with a plastic look. Installed a set of window shades, although of not that great quality. Managed to even crack the front mud guard because of a stone outcropping.

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2015 at 13:16. Reason: No mention of illegally high speeds please, thanks
prateekswarup is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 13:17   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: White VW Polo 1.2 TSI - The 'Heart' of the Matter

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 14:18   #6
BHPian

Congrats Prateek. Great review and awesome car.

Sub 10 lakh, all time Petrol FTD cars that come to my mind are Polo(Vento, Rapid) TSi and Linea (upcoming Abarth Punto) T-Jet.

Surely DSG auto box is very well admired one, but did you think about the T-Jet options?
ank.nsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 15:23   #7
BHPian

Congrats Prateek. The Polo GT twins are surely the hot hatches of India.
I totally agree with you that the primary reason to buy a car is its fun to drive factor. The features and creature comforts come in later, but if a car isn't fun to drive, then there's is no point, especially for self driven cars.

When I was on the look out for a hatch a few years ago, the 1.2L Polo felt under powered to me. If I was to go for a hatch today, I would make the same choice as you, albeit in Red.

Wish you many miles of happy driving (more so in the S mode).

Last edited by drive2eternity : 19th October 2015 at 15:25.
drive2eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 15:48   #8
BHPian

Congratulations prateek on the GT.
Wishing you peaceful and trouble free ownership experience with your ride. Convincing family on a 10 lacs hatch is a difficult task which I had tried and failed recently .
Need to hone my convincing skills lol...
Karthik Chandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 07:21   #9
BHPian

Thanks ank.nsit, drive2eternity and Karthik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post

Surely DSG auto box is very well admired one, but did you think about the T-Jet options?

Having owned a Fiat earlier (Uno), I could never convince my family to let me purchase another one. So, as much as I love the Linea TJet, that was one argument I knew I could not win with family.

The Abarth Punto release date was not out then, so it did not make the consideration set.
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 09:47   #10
BHPian

Many Congratulations Prateek for the new acquire. Wishing you many miles of niggle free drive. Great review too.

Cheers!
iabhishekkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 10:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Prateek, on the GT. The car looks awesome in white and black combination. Wishing you tens of thousands of safe, niggle-free, fun filled miles and smiles

Last edited by graaja : 20th October 2015 at 11:13.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 14:41   #12
BHPian

Its raining GTs!

Congrats prateekswarup and welcome to the GT TSI club!

As others mentioned, I think the center armrest will really add to the driving experience.

Auto-dimming mirrors can be easily added on.

If the Android unit on frankmehta's has CanBus integration it looks very promising. Check it out if you wish to replace your stock unit.
The stock unit was reasonably capable. I changed the unit solely for reverse camera and parking sensor displays. The change to a touchscreen unit did improve the looks of and already impressive dashboard.

Wish you lots of happy miles on your GT!
psispace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 10:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post

After that we got the mandatory photo taken with Polo.

We thanked the showroom staff for their hospitality and set out!
Congrats on your latest acquisition prateekswarup and welcome to the GT Club

There has a been a tsunami of facelifts/launches/updates in the hatchback segment in the recent past and competition has been Cut-throat, or should I type 'Cut-Fuel Pipe' !!

The facelift on the Polo with some additional features has only upped the VFM factor of this hot hatch. Personally, there are only 2 hatches in India which really look classy and timeless:

Hyundai Elite I20
VW Polo

Wish you a very happy motoring and many mile munching drives. Drive safe.
Vik0728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 20:39   #14
BHPian

Congratulations Prateek on buying a car that will keep you excited for a while! White looks very classy and should age very well if my Vento paint quality is anything to go by. Though for me personally Polo looks the best in RED!

Seems BHPians are lapping up GT TSIs like there is no tomorrow the loss of VW's reputation and market capitalization not withstanding. The icing on the cake is that most of them also have a good amount of mods planned / executed. Speaking of which which ones do you have in mind? Paddles? Remap? Arm Rest? Better HU?

At the risk of repeating my self With every thread the itch to get myself one keeps increasing even more!

Wish you many happy miles with this one. Drive safe and have fun mate!

Last edited by miharbe : 21st October 2015 at 20:42.
miharbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post
Many Congratulations Prateek for the new acquire. Wishing you many miles of niggle free drive. Great review too.

Cheers!
Thanks Abhishek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations Prateek, on the GT. The car looks awesome in white and black combination. Wishing you tens of thousands of safe, niggle-free, fun filled miles and smiles
Much appreciated graaja! You have created the awesome ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
Its raining GTs!

Congrats prateekswarup and welcome to the GT TSI club!

As others mentioned, I think the center armrest will really add to the driving experience.

Auto-dimming mirrors can be easily added on.

If the Android unit on frankmehta's has CanBus integration it looks very promising. Check it out if you wish to replace your stock unit.
The stock unit was reasonably capable. I changed the unit solely for reverse camera and parking sensor displays. The change to a touchscreen unit did improve the looks of and already impressive dashboard.

Wish you lots of happy miles on your GT!
Thanks psispace! Armrest is on the cards, as well as the HU upgrade. However, I am more partial to the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 Unit. Saving some cash for the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats on your latest acquisition prateekswarup and welcome to the GT Club

There has a been a tsunami of facelifts/launches/updates in the hatchback segment in the recent past and competition has been Cut-throat, or should I type 'Cut-Fuel Pipe' !!

The facelift on the Polo with some additional features has only upped the VFM factor of this hot hatch. Personally, there are only 2 hatches in India which really look classy and timeless:

Hyundai Elite I20
VW Polo

Wish you a very happy motoring and many mile munching drives. Drive safe.
Thanks vik0728! Manufacturers are slowly waking up to the needs of the enthusiast. Fiat Abarth is another such example. It's a buyers market in this crowded segment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Congratulations Prateek on buying a car that will keep you excited for a while! White looks very classy and should age very well if my Vento paint quality is anything to go by. Though for me personally Polo looks the best in RED!

Seems BHPians are lapping up GT TSIs like there is no tomorrow the loss of VW's reputation and market capitalization not withstanding. The icing on the cake is that most of them also have a good amount of mods planned / executed. Speaking of which which ones do you have in mind? Paddles? Remap? Arm Rest? Better HU?

At the risk of repeating my self With every thread the itch to get myself one keeps increasing even more!

Wish you many happy miles with this one. Drive safe and have fun mate!
Thanks miharbe! Red was the consideration colour earlier, but there are umpteen Red Polos on the Delhi roads. So wanted something to stand out. White gives me more opportunity to have black rooftop, racing strips on the hood, etc.

Mods as of now will be utilitarian rather than performance. 1st up is the armrest and headlight change. Paddle shifters or HU will be next. Depends on how much I can save and how fast

The temptation to mod this car is crazy though and I have to stop the urge to splurge.
prateekswarup is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote