Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th November 2015, 07:51   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
So I've come up with a theory. Try driving without resting your foot on the footrest.
Somehow, it looks like the footrest was an afterthought and ergonomics were not really kept in mind.
Our footrest is modular and easily removable.
If you're comfortable this way, the dead pedal can be eliminated. I am very comfortable when I don't have to rest my feet on it.
Try it and post here
If its possible, could you post your feedback/pics on the HealthSense backrest cushion you bought from Amazon? Does it make the GT seat more comfortable? Amazon lists it as non returnable and 1300/- seems a bit high to just try it out. If not for the GT, I would not have any use of it. Thanks.
manish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 10:55   #197
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!

Frank, for your cluster adaptation, get this VAG K CAN Commander cable from Ali (link) and give this a shot - Audizine and VWVortex (posts #2 and #8 is applicable to you).

Might be worth it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th November 2015 at 11:03.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 10:59   #198
Senior - BHPian

Thanks bro. Have purchased it.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-1448429327597.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 11:38   #199
Senior - BHPian

A lot of updates. Was busy with a family wedding, but the car has been 'blind' since the last 2 weeks! Have removed the headlights and sent them to TheRetroRides, Delhi for professional installation of my morimoto fxr 3.0 projectors. There were people who did it in Mumbai, but I was reluctant to hand my headlights over to people who were not very experienced. The facelifted Polo headlights are difficult to open, and the massive size of the fxr makes life even more difficult for someone. Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-1449381845880.jpg

Also, received a lot of new stuff from AliExpress.
1. Dash cams for both the cars.
2. Hard wiring kit for them cameras.
3. Tsi logo to replace the current gti logo on the grill.
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-1449381943190.jpg
4. Received the dsp and dac for the audio system.
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-1449382010966.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-1449382033187.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-1449382051416.jpg

The midbasses have shipped from North Carolina, and should be delivered to India in the next week.
frankmehta is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 18:41   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A lot of updates. Was busy with a family wedding, but the car has been 'blind' since the last 2 weeks!
Woah frankmehta I can already imagine how epic your GT will transform into post all these updates

Thoughts from folks like you, Gannu, etc is what pushes people like me to get into modding our rides.

I know you have already taken the necessary precautions on the headlight removal bit, but don't you think its a bit risky to drive around with those slots wide open? Chances of water seepage, dust accumulation, etc are real dangers right?

Anyways, looking forward to all these updates on your stead.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 09:13   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
If its possible, could you post your feedback/pics on the HealthSense backrest cushion you bought from Amazon? Does it make the GT seat more comfortable? Amazon lists it as non returnable and 1300/- seems a bit high to just try it out. If not for the GT, I would not have any use of it. Thanks.
Quote:
Hey, could you please post a picture of the memory foam fitted in GT? Also some pics of how this affects the under thigh support?

I got my GT TSI 2 weeks back and have been struggling to find the best seating position (so much so that I sometimes ask my wife to drive the car whenever she is along with me...somehow she is comfortable with the seats). Currently I push the driver seat fully back and pull the steering fully forward. This has almost resolved the under thigh support issue. However the lower back support is still inferior.
Have stopped using the seat ever since I found the dead pedal 'hack.'
The seat, though supremely comfortable, reduces thigh support to a minimum. The Polo suffers from poor legroom at the rear, anyway, and putting this seat on the stock seats means that I need to push the seat all the way to the back. The person at the back feels highly uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Woah frankmehta I can already imagine how epic your GT will transform into post all these updates

Thoughts from folks like you, Gannu, etc is what pushes people like me to get into modding our rides.

I know you have already taken the necessary precautions on the headlight removal bit, but don't you think its a bit risky to drive around with those slots wide open? Chances of water seepage, dust accumulation, etc are real dangers right?

Anyways, looking forward to all these updates on your stead.
She has been in hibernation ever since the lights were removed. 16 days without driving her, or even looking at her, and only I know how it feels.
The car is in the ensconced in the safe confines of my covered stilt parking on the 2nd floor, so rodents and weather, both are kept at bay. I will drive her or even see her only after the lights are installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Frank, can you share details of the component break up of the system you have ordered - like wiring harness, lens type, shroud type etc? Do you have any technical details on how the wiring harness will fit to the stock harness, and if any custom harnesses have to be made etc?

Was checking with Gannu on his DIY thread and he mentioned that in older head lamp assembly, all the lights had their own individual wiring harnesses. But in the latest polo, there is just one connector and connections to different bulbs seem to be internal. Looks a little complex.

Greatly appreciate any information you could provide on this.
The entire system was available in a package deal.
So far, I have spent 24k on it (including shipping) and 7k for installation (including 2 way shipping)
31k for the whole deal.
The single connector makes life easier, as there is only one connector that I need to connect the ballast to. I will be going to my electrician to make the necessary connections when the lights arrive from Delhi. I expect them at the end of this week. Will update you all when that happens.

In other news,
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-img20151207wa0030.jpg
frankmehta is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 10:57   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Have stopped using the seat ever since I found the dead pedal 'hack.'
The seat, though supremely comfortable, reduces thigh support to a minimum. The Polo suffers from poor legroom at the rear, anyway, and putting this seat on the stock seats means that I need to push the seat all the way to the back. The person at the back feels highly uncomfortable.
Yes, I thought so. I have to push back the driver sit almost to the full to get good under thigh support. As of now, I have added some cushioning to the far end (from steering) of driver seat so that the hips and knees are on the same level from ground.

What is the hack for dead pedal you have? Not sure if you posted it before, but I couldn't locate it in this thread.
manish84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 14:20   #203
BHPian

Hi Frank!

Great upgrades to your car! unfortunately i can't do many of them as the car is for my mom and she hates me fiddling around and changing things.

but still, i am curious about the MINIDSP and DAC as i have changed the oem system in my Elantra, and there i look to install these if the sound quality changes.

I do not have an amp, so will this still help me? i am using the Pioneer AVH8650 system.

And hey, what's in the new parcels?

Thanks!
Insane Devil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 23:55   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Also installed Roots Windtones in place of the stock horn. Used a Bosch relay and my electrician 'made' the wire. He's used nice, thick quality wire and inserted it into a good, tight fitting sleeve.
Hi frankmehta,

Do you remember how new horn is connected to the OEM horn terminal. Did electrician use socket or splice wire behind stock horn socket. I believe this is required even if we are using separate horn relay/wiring.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:55   #205

Quote:

Reversing camera is a license-plate HD type of camera from a brand called dhc.

I didn't buy it online. My installation team procured and installed it.
Thanks frank for sharing so much info about this system. I have some questions.

On graaja's DIY thread I saw him manually calibrating the camera. How well is this camera doing for you. Does thisshow the object distance accurately?

Please share the model number or any details about the camera so that I can procure the same. Also video or pictures with reverse camera in action if possible.

Quote:
2. The microphone that came with the unit in my car was not of good quality. I've asked for an Olympus microphone that you can attach in a Go Pro camera. Hence, quality should be good. Waiting for it to arrive. I shall place is just behind the sun visor, clipped on to the edge of the roof carpet via the lapel clip.
How is the call quality with this microphone? From where can I buy this?
Anashku is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 14:27   #206

Hi Frank,

I stumbled across your post only a couple of days ago and have read the thread with increasing astonishment. The mods you've carried out are excellent, to say the least!

I have a 1st gen GT TSI, booked the day they opened bookings and waited 3 months to get it! One of the 1st GT TSI's in Bangalore. I've done about 25k kms till now and is due for its 2nd service. I thought I'll share a few highlights from my experience with the car.

1. The car is as much a joy to drive as it was 2 years ago when it rolled out of the showroom
2. I've never had any rattles whatsoever and don't have any now, after all the driving I do on the insanely potholed Bangalore roads! I hate in-cabin noise and it used to be a monthly struggle with the Swift. Peace & happiness with GT TSI now.
3. No issues with lower back support...have done 700 kms in a day and not a twinge. I find the seats much better than my Swift.
4. The clutch slips a bit (in D2 only; last 2-3k kms) and needs adjustment, I guess
5. After driving for a while in heavy traffic, the gearbox makes a whining noise when it shifts from D2-D3. Must be some problem with the gear oil.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading up your posts. I have not added anything to the car after buying it. Your posts may very well be the catalyst! I don't know where from to start. Maybe the HU.

Please do let us know how the Cruise Control installation went.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 18:21   #207
BHPian

Quote:

2. Morimoto FXR 3.0 projector Retrofit with D2S Xenon lights ordered. Will be installed in my headlights next week.
Hi frankmehta,

Were you able to get these projectors installed?

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 13:48   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi frankmehta,

Do you remember how new horn is connected to the OEM horn terminal. Did electrician use socket or splice wire behind stock horn socket. I believe this is required even if we are using separate horn relay/wiring.

Regards.

I went the easier route. Just used the stock wiring and made my electrician splice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hi Frank!

Great upgrades to your car! unfortunately i can't do many of them as the car is for my mom and she hates me fiddling around and changing things.

but still, i am curious about the MINIDSP and DAC as i have changed the oem system in my Elantra, and there i look to install these if the sound quality changes.

I do not have an amp, so will this still help me? i am using the Pioneer AVH8650 system.

And hey, what's in the new parcels?

Thanks!
MiniDSP and DAC are for high end installs, sir. Not for augmenting a stock system. For stock options, send me a PM or post a new thread in the audio section. I will make things simpler for you.

Quote:
Yes, I thought so. I have to push back the driver sit almost to the full to get good under thigh support. As of now, I have added some cushioning to the far end (from steering) of driver seat so that the hips and knees are on the same level from ground.

What is the hack for dead pedal you have? Not sure if you posted it before, but I couldn't locate it in this thread.
The hack is: DON'T USE IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anashku View Post
Thanks frank for sharing so much info about this system. I have some questions.

On graaja's DIY thread I saw him manually calibrating the camera. How well is this camera doing for you. Does thisshow the object distance accurately?

Please share the model number or any details about the camera so that I can procure the same. Also video or pictures with reverse camera in action if possible.

How is the call quality with this microphone? From where can I buy this?
I didn't calibrate any lines. Sorry, I don't really use them much. I use my sensors and visual feedback from the rear camera is good enough. The camera in question is a DHC HD camera that looks like this:
http://www.dhcindia.com/product/dh-hd-688-hd-camera/

Also, the Olympus Mic didn't work out. So I got the same Pioneer Mic as Jamsukh. Actually, I got one, thanks to him. Couldn't have been happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi frankmehta,

Were you able to get these projectors installed?

Regards.
More on this, in a separate post.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 15:22   #209
Senior - BHPian

Frank why not use an audiophile grade converter with the xmos chipset like the m2tech hiface 2.0 for USB->SPDIF conversion?

The converter you purchased seems to be built on a Tenor TE7022 which is a bad jittery interface by audiophile standards. You might get better audio quality with a better converter.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 10:00   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Frank why not use an audiophile grade converter with the xmos chipset like the m2tech hiface 2.0 for USB->SPDIF conversion?

The converter you purchased seems to be built on a Tenor TE7022 which is a bad jittery interface by audiophile standards. You might get better audio quality with a better converter.
I am currently planning on using this and will flip it out for a better DAC once I am happy with the results.

Ok, I have super news. I have actually been planning to post this here since a while. I flipped out the retrofitted FXR Projectors from the Original Polo headlamps that I had. I had to throw away the Polo Original Headlamps due to a combination of a botched install as well as courier negligence. THROW AWAY is the right word, due to the fact that these are not usable anymore.
Now, a car needs headlights. AND GOOD ONES
So I got the next best option. And BOY, Am I happy with this purchase! MUCH, MUCH better spread and throw pattern than the previous FXR projectors (I don't blame the Morimotos. My headlights couldn't be adjusted at all, hence I wasn't happy with the earlier setup)
Anyway, I am super super super happy! See photos. The bulbs are H7 Morimoto 55 watters.
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160123_090357.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160123_090315.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160123_090325.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160123_090337.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160122_182951.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160122_183008.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160122_1827340.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160122_1828273.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160122_182655.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160122_182705.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160122_182713.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!-20160122_182627.jpg