Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th May 2016, 12:35   #226
BHPian

Default Re: Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Also, in other news, got the GTI grille fitted.
It's a replica but fit very well and has changed the look of the car when viewed front-on.
I am a lot late in asking this question, but did you do this fitment yourself? If yes, would love a few pointers on how you got the existing grille unmounted and mounted the new one.

Also, is the GTI badge on the grille removable? Mine is a plain jane 1.2 polo, and I do not want a wannabe badge
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:12   #227
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Hey Frankmehta,

Awesome write up; very detailed and very informative. I'm on the lookout for a replacement for my i10 Asta ABS 2011. I've been looking at the Polo GT TSI rather closely in the last few days. I just have one qualm that I'd like you to clear for me - what's the actual mileage of this car ?

I have a daily driving requirement of about 20kms in the city. And being in Bangalore, I can say that about 8kms of the journey entails bumper to bumper traffic.

How does the gearbox cope with this type of traffic ?
shoaib3030 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:57   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
I am a lot late in asking this question, but did you do this fitment yourself? If yes, would love a few pointers on how you got the existing grille unmounted and mounted the new one.

Also, is the GTI badge on the grille removable? Mine is a plain jane 1.2 polo, and I do not want a wannabe badge
Grille is easily removable. Just youtube the instructions.
Also, the GTI logo was removable. I have a TSI log in place. That looks very very smart in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
Hey Frankmehta,

Awesome write up; very detailed and very informative. I'm on the lookout for a replacement for my i10 Asta ABS 2011. I've been looking at the Polo GT TSI rather closely in the last few days. I just have one qualm that I'd like you to clear for me - what's the actual mileage of this car ?

I have a daily driving requirement of about 20kms in the city. And being in Bangalore, I can say that about 8kms of the journey entails bumper to bumper traffic.

How does the gearbox cope with this type of traffic ?
TO put it simply, my Polo gives me 12.5-13 kmpl regardless of whatever I do.
My Honda can go down to 11, but the Polo doesn't budge. Even in traffic.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 12:20   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Boys, 2 parts have arrived:
1. The Cruise Control Retrofit kit
2. The GTI Instrument Cluster.
hey Frank!!
With so much going on with your other car, have you put GTI cluster installation on back burner? Haven't seen any update on this. I am planning to get one for my TSI in a month (that & MK7 paddles ) Would love to get some update if you have manage to install the cluster and also kindly do share where have you sourced it from?
BlueEyes is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2016, 03:02   #230
BHPian

Quote:
My Honda can go down to 11, but the Polo doesn't budge. Even in traffic.
Wow thats impressive.. my daily drive is from Prabhadevi to SantaCruz and back, havent taken this car out of the city, so in bumper to bumper traffic the average i get is 8.3.

My Civic manual gives me roughly the same average as well.

Any tips?

Cheers
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 21:27   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
hey Frank!!
With so much going on with your other car, have you put GTI cluster installation on back burner? Haven't seen any update on this. I am planning to get one for my TSI in a month (that & MK7 paddles ) Would love to get some update if you have manage to install the cluster and also kindly do share where have you sourced it from?
The Cluster is lying with me. Haven't ventured into installing it. Even the Cruise Control kit is lying unused with me and I haven't really found someone who could help install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Wow thats impressive.. my daily drive is from Prabhadevi to SantaCruz and back, havent taken this car out of the city, so in bumper to bumper traffic the average i get is 8.3.

My Civic manual gives me roughly the same average as well.

Any tips?

Cheers

Just a light foot on the pedal in 'D' mode. If I am in the mood to hypermile, then 60 at D7!

There are two updates. One is a minor one. The second one deserves a whole post. I haven't got the time to write too much, but the first addition is a mini 0903 Nano-Q dashcam. I actually had a Chinese one and I used it for a few months. After seeing the night drive recordings, I decided to upgrade.
I haven't taken too many photos of the dashcam itself, but this video will give you an indication of how beautiful it;s night time videos are!

Stay tuned for the next update(s)... (hint: they may be related to 'PERFORMANCE!")
Old 21st September 2016, 12:25   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Also, in other news, got the GTI grille fitted.
It's a replica but fit very well and has changed the look of the car when viewed front-on.
Hey Frank.

From where did you source the GTI grill? Is it available in Mumbai?

Vagtune is selling it for 7500 bucks. Are they charging a lot?
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 12:40   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Hey Frank.

From where did you source the GTI grill? Is it available in Mumbai?

Vagtune is selling it for 7500 bucks. Are they charging a lot?
I got it from Opera house.
For less than 3k. But it's a replica. Held up well for over a year so I don't see anything wrong in having a replica.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 13:37   #234
BHPian

Quote:
I got it from Opera house.
For less than 3k. But it's a replica. Held up well for over a year so I don't see anything wrong in having a replica.
Under 3k sounds really good! I think I'll also opt for the replica. And looking at pics of your car, I don't even know what would be different between this and the original.

Also, can you help me with the reverse camera? Should I order from Ali express and if Yes, then which one? I don't intend to spend more than 5k and initially I will use it with RCD330. But I am not even sure if it supports reverse cam.

Last edited by Aston Singh : 21st September 2016 at 13:38.
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 18:26   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Under 3k sounds really good! I think I'll also opt for the replica. And looking at pics of your car, I don't even know what would be different between this and the original.

Also, can you help me with the reverse camera? Should I order from Ali express and if Yes, then which one? I don't intend to spend more than 5k and initially I will use it with RCD330. But I am not even sure if it supports reverse cam.
Hi. PLEASE do not order a camera kit from AliExpress or anywhere. Camera kits are available for quite cheap in India. RCD330 kits for Camera is also available at your friendly neighbourhood auto accessories dealer. It will be done for really cheap. Remember, EVERYTHING online is not gold. There are some good deals at Accessories stores also.
Old 16th October 2016, 11:13   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After much deliberation from my side and due to the inconsistency of petrol pumps to deliver optimal tire air pressure, I decided to go in for a TPMS. Now, there are hundreds of brands available and many different types too.
Hi Frank (quoting an older post), wanted to check on how the tpms is holding up. Is the integration with the HU working as expected? Just came across another post asking about this tpms with HU integration and after doing a search your post came up. I assume this would work with any HU with a video in(mine is a Philadelphia 835).
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 11:15   #237
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes! This is working like a charm! I can't believe how useful it is.
The other day I had a slow puncture and my wife needed the car. Suddenly, the tpms showed a warning on the screen on its own, and started beeping incessantly.
The pressure in the back left tire was 18 and this was when I was just about to hand it over to my wife for a late night drive back home. It's indispensable.
Go for it.
Old 16th October 2016, 23:05   #238
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Frank,

That is great mileage. In traffic I get only 8.5 kpl.
If i am consciously light on the throttle then I get 9.5.

In highway I get 14 to 15.

My first service is only tomorrow. Is that the reason?
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 23:42   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Hi Frank,

That is great mileage. In traffic I get only 8.5 kpl.
If i am consciously light on the throttle then I get 9.5.

In highway I get 14 to 15.

My first service is only tomorrow. Is that the reason?
D7 @ 80 kmph is my comfort zone. I do a lot of running on good roads and sometimes on horrendous roads. I could get 15 if I had only those good roads! It's about the driving style and the road conditions. Nothing inherently wrong with a car.
Old 25th October 2016, 14:56   #240
BHPian

Hi
No recent post of the mods you've done to your GT
Became a fan of the CRIO and since i have a GT myself, would love to read more about yours, BTW i live in delhi but study in Mumbai'
Where do you reside?
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote