Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th October 2015, 10:26   #61
BHPian

Default re: Mrs. frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!

Frank, any detailed review on the TPMS? Very keen to know how it's behaving.
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 18:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

The TPMS is amazing. Outstanding!!!!!
Here's the link to the review...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3822210 (Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI!)
It's installed in the Polo, though, and I have a touchscreen unit in this car too. So I might go in for this even in this car, budget permitting!
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 23:57   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

Basically, this will be my RPM meter and my coolant temperature meter, both of which are conspicuous by their absence in my Brio.

THIS IS A HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL BUY! So please exercise caution before running to grab your credit cards. I am yet to see how this will function in our bright, harsh conditions in India, but the price was too low for me not to ignore it

Cheers, guys!
Frank, It is amazing to see the way you have transformed a humble car to a sporty one. All your mods are looking really good.

By the way, did you feel any issues regarding the accuracy of the information provided by HUD units? Since these units are vendor agnostic, can it provide accurate readings on all the manufacturers?

Cheers,
Cruiser_D
Cruiser_D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 06:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Frank, It is amazing to see the way you have transformed a humble car to a sporty one. All your mods are looking really good.

By the way, did you feel any issues regarding the accuracy of the information provided by HUD units? Since these units are vendor agnostic, can it provide accurate readings on all the manufacturers?

Cheers,
Cruiser_D
Hi. Thanks for the kind words.
The hud doesn't show up anything on its own! It's connected to the OBD port! Hence, whatever info it needs to display is actually from the OBD bank only! It's pretty cool and convenient.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 10:23   #65
BHPian

Thanks Frank.

Yes I understood that HUD has to be connected to the on board diagnostic port. But I have read through few reviews where it mentioned that the readings projected by HUD may not be accurate even though it is coming through OBD port.

For an example, the RPM readings from the dashboard tachometer is different from the HUD readings. The tachometer shows some where around 600 rpm, and at the same time HUD display shows above 1000 rpm. These readings were taken from Nissan using A8 5.5" OBDII HUD. In that case you may need to manually adjust the HUD settings to get it calibrated. And this change may be required for each of the features projected by HUD.

Ideally we go for this device to see the information's which are not available in the dashboard display unit, in your case tachometer. So if it is missing the accuracy and manual calibration is required, is it going to be really helpful?

So I was just curious to know about your experience with this. I am sure that you would have noticed it if it is projecting readings with less accuracy.
Cruiser_D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 08:52   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Thanks Frank.

Yes I understood that HUD has to be connected to the on board diagnostic port. But I have read through few reviews where it mentioned that the readings projected by HUD may not be accurate even though it is coming through OBD port.

For an example, the RPM readings from the dashboard tachometer is different from the HUD readings. The tachometer shows some where around 600 rpm, and at the same time HUD display shows above 1000 rpm. These readings were taken from Nissan using A8 5.5" OBDII HUD. In that case you may need to manually adjust the HUD settings to get it calibrated. And this change may be required for each of the features projected by HUD.

Ideally we go for this device to see the information's which are not available in the dashboard display unit, in your case tachometer. So if it is missing the accuracy and manual calibration is required, is it going to be really helpful?

So I was just curious to know about your experience with this. I am sure that you would have noticed it if it is projecting readings with less accuracy.
I can't notice this, purely, because my car doesn't come with a Tacho meter. So i can't even calibrate it since my car comes with one OBD port, so if I connect an OBDII reader , I can't connect the HUD. Also, I expect my replacement OBDII cable (for the HUD) to arrive soon. Will post findings later...
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 13:53   #67
Senior - BHPian

I finally got the call from Hallmark Honda on Thursday evening informing me that my 'parts had arrived.'
I booked the appointment for yesterday and dropped her at 9 am sharp. I got a call at 12 pm, that work was complete. I have finished 5000 km on the car, so another 5000 before the next service, hence just asked them to fix the new parts and a fused parking bulb.
Here's some photos of what they did.
Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151016_131504.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151016_131508.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151016_131515.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151016_131523.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151016_131529.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151016_131531.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151016_131653.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151017_010238.jpg

The 'cooling duct' is actually made of a very soft and flexible silicone material, and my dad who works with such materials said it produces a cooling effect when air passes through it. Somehow, I feel this should have come with the car. I even got the insulating hood fitted at the bottom of the bonnet and drove her 1 km in sweltering heat. I am dead sure I will have to drive her for a few km more before giving any judgement on whether this cooling duct has made a marginal difference to performance or not.

Will report on this, soon.
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 14:53   #68
BHPian

Quote:
h it. Somehow, I feel this should have come with the car. I even got the insulating hood fitted at the bottom of the bonnet and drove her 1 km in sweltering heat. I am dead sure I will have to drive her for a few km more before giving any judgement on whether this cooling duct has made a marginal difference to performance or not.

Will report on this, soon.
Dear Frank,

Does the cooling duct make a difference to the performance?
I bought a SMT last July and didn't have the cooling duct. I found this only when I went for the first service, and asked the service guy. He said its value engineering and new Brios don't have them.

However, if the really are worth, I shall buy them too! Looking forward to your take.

-NC
rokindotnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 15:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokindotnish View Post
Dear Frank,

Does the cooling duct make a difference to the performance?
I bought a SMT last July and didn't have the cooling duct. I found this only when I went for the first service, and asked the service guy. He said its value engineering and new Brios don't have them.

However, if the really are worth, I shall buy them too! Looking forward to your take.

-NC
Hi mate. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to drive her much since the last 3 weeks, due to vacations.
But I can assure you one thing. The exhaust, the K&N filter and the duct together, have done something to transform the way she responds at lower rpms. At higher RPMs, the higher air flow due to the duct may have caused a marginal increase in performance, but I am not in a position to tell you that it's made a major difference.
I'll be driving the car more from Monday onwards, which is when I'll be able to give you good judgement on this.
But if you're getting it done, it's a good thing. Nothing bad can come of it.
I believe value engineering should not be done for integral components like air intakes and other parts of the drivetrain.
Old 10th December 2015, 15:55   #70
BHPian

Just a little note. Your mods are interesting and looks like you are satisfied particularly the flat spot at low rpm. Straight through exhaust should make some difference in output theoretically and practically. How did the pollution readings come out? In earlier days Premier Motors did a lot of value engineering on the Fiat 1100 as did HM on the Ambassador. In the Fiat there was a water jacket on the inlet manifold which was removed. Then, the water circulation valve for getting the water temperature in the radiator upto working temperature fast was removed and so it went on. Companies should not take such short cuts like on the air inlet duct of your car. They are short changing people with not much benefit to the company.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 19:44   #71
Senior - BHPian

I have some great news! The Brio is running almost 70-80 km a day.
She has completed almost 9000 km in the short duration (6 months) that she's been with us (remember, we also got a Polo GT TSi around the same time as the Honda, and she's done over 8000 km already too!) and most of them are highway jaunts.

She had her 2nd service a fortnight ago, and the engine oil was changed. As expected, STELLAR experience at Hallmark Honda, Nerul, Navi Mumbai. The service bill felt like small change, considering how expensive it is to service my other car (Can never forge that she's a VAG!)
Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160113_130200.jpg

I have been getting a consistent fuel efficiency of 13-14 km. to the litre, and that is impressive, since she does duty in almost 45-50 mins of intense Mumbai traffic, daily. That is around 390-420 km on a full tank of fuel. She has a fuel tank of around 35 litres, so I do have to fuel up pretty often.
I recently enjoyed her over a long highway journey and managed to eke out these nos. from her over 190 km in less than 4 hours.
Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160123_103740.jpg

The Automech exhaust is doing very well, and the sound is very bassy , and performance is OUTSTANDING at high RPMs. The engine response at low RPMs leaves nothing to be desired. And my initial issues with the car are now resolved. The CHECK ENGINE light still remains on (due to removal of the catcon and due to my laziness, I haven't gone to Automech to resolve the issue. No complaints about anything else, though!

The BIG NEWS.
I had recently upgraded my wiring and added a relay, along with 90/100 H4 bulbs to the Brio. Some 'unavoidable' circumstances prevailed (My Polo lights were upgraded) and I suddenly started feeling the proverbial itch that all of us on Team-Bhp generally feel, at intervals. I decided to go the whole hog and DO A RETROFIT! I am now running a highly sophisticated setup which includes:
1. Morimoto FX-R 3.0 BiXenon Projectors
2. Morimoto D2S 55w 4300k High-Intensity Discharge Xenon Bulbs and Morimoto Ballasts

I'll just let my photos do the explaining. Because my eyes well up with pride and speech starts slurring every time I switch these on. BOY, OH BOY! AM I happy!?!?!

Stock headlights:
Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160104_142027.jpg
Some Photos of the retrofit process:

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_131512.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_135343.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_151750.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_155718.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_155711.jpg

FINAL Photos and Headlight Beam
Lights up the road and cars ahead like DAYLIGHT:

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_135352.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_135354.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_214400.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_214354.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_214447.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160121_191542.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160121_191535.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160121_191607.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160121_191602.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20160120_214405.jpg

Some more photos have been taken, but I haven't been able to transfer them.

That's all, folks
frankmehta is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 21:04   #72
BHPian

Quote:
(My Polo lights were upgraded)
Hi frankmehta,

Could you please share details about bixenon retrofit in your polo. I am looking for a similar setup in same H7 headlight.

Regards.

Last edited by antardaksh : 27th January 2016 at 21:06. Reason: realised you have used FX-R in Brio
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 21:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

I will be sharing information about my Polo travails soon. In the meanwhile, you can read here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...ml#post3892382
Old 18th February 2016, 09:38   #74
BHPian

Good effort. But did it destroy the parking lights, or still there?

Sharing some sample pics of mods done by people in Thailand/Indonesia

This is not a mobilio, its a brio with Mobilio RS headlight and bumper swap

Last edited by aerohit : 18th February 2016 at 09:52.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 10:15   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Good effort. But did it destroy the parking lights, or still there?
Parking lights are gone! Which is my only deterrent. I don't really need them, but I am looking at getting genuine, stock looking DRL's that couple as parking lights and serve as visible indicators of the car.

And those photos are interesting. But there's NOTHING that you can do to make the Brio/Amaze/Mobilio look less hideous than it currently looks. The front grille and the chrome are pathetic.