Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th November 2015, 14:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: FIAT Accompli - Linea T-Jet Emotion (Pearl White). EDIT: 1st service completed

You can't really compare a hatch to a sedan. A well set up hatch, which the GTX is, will be better than a equally well set up sedan. There is less weight to deal with and in Fiat's case, this is what makes the difference. While the weight kills the car's 0-100 performance and economy, there are areas where this weight helps. In my opinion, the control and ride quality on a Linea is as good (maybe better) than a certain German car from the next segment.

The GTX was not a car for our mileage obsessed market and not much has changed since then. Apart from the weak braking ability and lack of ABS, the GTX was in a league of its own. You bought a GTX for only one thing, driving pleasure. Once again, this was no drag car. If you wanted a drag car, the City is what you bought.

It can only be a Fiat dealer who offers a car with a mismatched wheel set. I guess they did not even notice the alloy design was different.

I do agree that the Linea in white looks stunning. I did not like the pre face lift model in white though. The new one, even with the over done chrome bits does lend it self well on a white Linea. The white is more a shell white.

It is good you went through a comprehensive PDI. It is an absolute must for a Fiat. Sad but true. I sometimes feel that the overall build of the car has been compromised because of the factory that assembles it. By build I don't mean the overall structure of the car, it is the plastics and materials used. The older generation Fiat's have much better build quality, materials and tighter tolerances.

When I did the PDI for my car, I found the right rear door lock non operational and the temperature sensor (on dashboard) cap missing. How on earth can the factory pdi miss a non working door lock mechanism? I ignored these two faults and had them corrected before taking delivery. However; as time progressed and the miles were clocked, I noticed that the bottom of the left rear door was not flush with the body. I don't know how I missed it during pdi. If you look close and towards the bottom of the door frame meeting the body panel, it looks as if the rear door has not fully shut. I have not corrected this fault till date as I am too afraid to ask the service chaps to meddle with it. The door shuts fine and there is no water entry so I have left it at that. Another thing that slipped by was the hood insulation. I guess it was already in bad shape cause in just two years, it went in to shreds to the extent that I thought it would fall in to the engine and get caught in the fan or engine belt. I got it replaced at my expense.

The sound clip is spot on to the noise that my engine makes. Nothing to worry here. It is more audible on a cold engine, less so when hot, though still audible.

Moving on to your likes about the car, I have a different problem when it comes to ground clearance and I live in speed breaker city. The point where my car takes a hit is the front bumper over hang. If it is a deep pothole or if I don't slow down enough to take a speed breaker, the bumper takes a hit. I drive the first lot of T Jet's which ride lower than the one's on sale today. Body roll is still present but not once does it make you nervous when tackling a twisty section of road.

While you don't get that feeling of the air conditioning switching on and off, turbo lag is more pronounced. I have a slight steering vibration when the air conditioning is in use and it seems to come from the radiator fan more than the engine. Not sure if this is the same thing you are experiencing.

I don't know why Fiat trashed the flip seat and center head rest. One serves practicality and the other is a matter of passenger safety.

Even after 4 years, it makes me happy just looking at the turbine style alloys on my car. They go with the car and due to a lower suspension set up, they also fill the wheel arch. They look even better when the car is loaded. I hate to see them dirty. It was only last night that I cleaned them cause the last few days have been raining in my city. I started to clean the rims, the lights went out and I continued cleaning them in the dark. They have to look clean to stand out.

Thanks for sharing the schematic of the plumbing around the engine. I always wondered what all of those hoses do, especially the air intake to turbo to inter cooler to intake manifold. I still don't get the function of the hose on the left of the engine cover, that takes off just before the turbo, going behind and towards the intake manifold. I still play it safe with the turbo charger even though water cooling exists. If the engine has been strained, I allow for some idle time before shut down.

While the Gtx does not have the same torque output of the T Jet, it is more eager and responsive. There is a capacity advantage, the car is lighter and no turbo to bring in any lag. The engine pulls right from the start and revs clean to the red line. From what I make of it, the T Jet does not love rev's all that much. Its not happy going beyond 5000rpm.

I am not sure how I missed your post cause I keep looking out for T Jet Linea's. The car looks stunning after the 3M job.

I took the speaker upgrade path after a long 3 year wait. Don't know how I managed this cause I hate a bad sounding stereo. Anyway; I put in two pairs of Diamond Audio speakers and it has made the in car audio experience a lot better. I wish the door panels were stiffer cause they tend to vibrate if you crank up the volume and if your music happens to be a little heavy on bass. The wide profile and lousy good years on my car kill low frequency too, when on the move. I have managed to find the sweet spot on the head unit without meddling too much. Turned on Loudness and kept Bass and Treble at sane levels. As much as I want to throw in a sub woofer and fire up the four speakers in the car with their own amplifier, having burnt my fingers once with a 60k car audio set up in my previous car, and never being satisfied with it, holds me back from doing the same thing on my Linea.

If you love to drive, there is still no other sedan that offers a better driving experience than the Linea T Jet.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 5th November 2015 at 14:23.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 15:42   #32
BHPian

Default re: FIAT Accompli - Linea T-Jet Emotion (Pearl White). EDIT: 1st service completed

Recently, ordered from 99rpm. Unfortunately, I have had bad experiences both times I have placed an order with 99rpm.com

First time: I ordered a boot mat and was delivered a set of floor mats. Customer care wouldn't acknowledge the error and even said the following:

Customer Care: "So, mats were delivered right? What's the problem?"

Second time: I once again place an order for boot mats and 2 litres of Selenia K engine oil. I wrote to them asking whether the boot mats were in stock. Although they say that they will respond by 24 hours, I never received a response.

Nevertheless, I placed the order. Luckily, this time around, they shipped the right product. But both the cans of oil had their tamper proof seals broken. Plus, one of them was leaking.

When I spoke to the customer care, I was told that leakage in oil cans is perfectly normal because of transit and since the can has been packed in a plastic bag, I can use the oil as it wont be contaminated!!! I can still accept that. But when asked about the tamper proof seals being broken, you have to believe what the customer care guy said.

"You simply have to trust us"!!!

Their own website has a FAQ section on Quality Control which reads as follows:

"99rpm Promise: Each product at 99rpm is shipped with original untempered packing ( same is expected when we receive a returned product). Each packing typically contains product prices along with address/phone/email of manufacturer. It is one of the first & most visible step we take to ensure that you always have a chance directly connect with manufacturer for warranty and quality concerns you might have."

When I expressed my doubts about whether I have received a genuine product (or if spurious oil is refilled), I am told that

"I have tried to convince you, but you simply wish to argue. So I cannot help you any further."

When asked to escalate to his supervisor, he says there is no support available and even if I put it in writing, nothing will happen.

I happened to read that the promoter of the company (One Mr. Pankaj Yadav) himself is in charge of customer care. If he was the one at the end of the phone, I can only feel sorry for customers who have the misfortune of dealing with such arrogant customer care.

The icing on the cherry was this:

Me: Look, I am the customer and 99rpm.com is not doing a favour by providing a response. That response has to be satisfactory to me because I have paid upfront and have received products which appear to be tampered.

99RPM: I have explained it to you that you have to trust us. If you wish to argue, I cannot help you. My job is to provide a response and its not my problem whether it is satisfactory to you or not.

I wrote them a strongly worded email. Response I got was this:

If you are on call or email, you are provided with primary information based upon your query along with further steps (if any) and should use that information accordingly. If you are not convinced the first response, any pushing for information, asking reasons, arguments with customer care executive is a big NO and not considered nice irrespective of any other factor. As a matter of 99rpm's policy, moderation ends here.

Moral of the story: We want your money. We will take it upfront. We will deliver something. If you are not satisfied, we will give an explanation. But you cant ask further questions or express dissent about the quality/adequacy of response. Because it is our policy!!!

Last edited by thedragula : 7th December 2015 at 16:09. Reason: Additional info
thedragula is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 16:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragula View Post
Moral of the story: We want your money. We will take it upfront. We will deliver something. If you are not satisfied, we will give an explanation. But you cant ask further questions or express dissent about the quality/adequacy of response. Because it is our policy!!!
I am also disappointed with 99rpm and their customer service is nothing short of pathetic. What you have mentioned in bold is spot on.

Firstly they dont tell you if the part is in stock, if you reach out to them they will say we cannot share details of stock position (ridiculous to say the least). Now to the part of my story, I had ordered the part number 59064641 (Holder| **For Dynamic Variants** is the part description). Initially when you place the order, you have no clue if the part is in stock, I followed up after the initial lot shipment asking why this is not shipped, they cooly mention this is a back order (part not in stock, needs procurement from vendor) which will take 20 days from the date of order. Its 30 days now and still no news of this part getting shipping. They dont respond to emails, if you are finally able to reach them over phone, their policy will not allow them to give the status of the back order (how convenient and lousy it is). I am trying to reach out to Pankaj to give him an earful.

I would rather go back to FASS instead of such lousy online portals, at least someone is available to talk in the FASS (it is painful but not as bad as follow ups with 99rpm). 99rpm is a blacklisted site at least for me solely due to their customer service. Its not just me alone who has got this kind of a response, even Crazy_Driver received a similar response.

Finally, after checking with all the service centers in Bangalore, called up True Sai Salem to check if they had the part in stock. Yes they had one piece in stock, they shipped it the moment I transferred cash and the part arrived at my door step in less than 24 hours Thanks to Shaktivel.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 7th December 2015 at 16:53.
nkrishnap is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 08:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Recently, ordered from 99rpm. Unfortunately, I have had bad experiences both times I have placed an order with 99rpm.com

[/b]
I am truly surprised by your experience! As a long time FIAT vehicle owner I have ordered many parts and oils over the years and the shipments have been handled properly. However, there was indeed a problem once with an exterior trim part which had a mark on it (and was therefore not usable). I called up on the number listed and was asked for evidence / pics of the damage on email. Once I did that, a replacement part was shipped and I was asked to send back the damaged one.

If there is one thing I have learnt from online shopping (amazon, grofers, flipkart...you name it), it is that issues can and will happen in some cases. But if we as customers work with the seller as per their policy and procedures, recovery / corrective action is possible. It is also imperative that we as customers maintain a cool demeanor in all discussions, else resolution becomes difficult

I'd suggest you email the above picture of the oil can and ask them to enforce their stated policy (that the products are not tampered). What has probably happened in your case is that the discussion has become focused on whether the oil is *genuine* or not, which is leading to a heated debate focusing on 'trust' with 99rpm insisting that nobody at their end has replaced the oil (Tutela?) with a spurious one. Just state as a matter-of-fact that the goods do not seem to fit the definition of 'un-tampered'

Do post back the response on this forum. I, like many others, would be interested in how this finally pans out
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 17:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
I am truly surprised by your experience!

I'd suggest you email the above picture of the oil can and ask them to enforce their stated policy (that the products are not tampered). What has probably happened in your case is that the discussion has become focused on whether the oil is *genuine* or not, which is leading to a heated debate focusing on 'trust' with 99rpm insisting that nobody at their end has replaced the oil (Tutela?) with a spurious one. Just state as a matter-of-fact that the goods do not seem to fit the definition of 'un-tampered'

Do post back the response on this forum. I, like many others, would be interested in how this finally pans out
I completely agree with you that the focus of the discussions has shifted from tampered containers to their customer service. However, I can still take a risk with the oil but the customer service has been nothing short of rude. In fact, what they are saying is if your problem is with the product, then mail us. If it is about the service, we won't really care. I simply don't have the confidence to order from there anymore lest am burdened with a defective/faulty product which they wont take cognizance of. And they collect the money upfront. Had they offered cash on delivery, they wont resort to such tricks.

I read your post and decided to take your suggestion and once again email them. But by then, they had already issued a so called clarification on facebook and went to the extent of stating that I had no real issue and the whole thing was due to the customer's ego!!! Talk of ostrich mentality.

I have responded to them appropriately...and their reply has been even more juvenile. If you'd like to see where this whole thing is going, please see the link below (Don't want to needlessly duplicate same posts, unless necessary).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3865434 (Would you buy Spares & Parts online?)
thedragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 15:50   #36
BHPian

The T-Jet completed her first free service at approx. 4400km on the odo. Although I could have waited another 1000km for the first service/inspection, I wanted this mandated service ordeal to be over before the 6 month period lapses.

Since I purchased the vehicle from Torrid Motors, I decided to give the car there for service. There was also the issue of the painting of the rear quarter panel under warranty and Torrid had approved the claim earlier and told me that I can get it done anytime but it would take about 2 days. So, decided to get the service and the painting done at the same time.

Unfortunately, the workshop manager who approved the claim has left the workshop for greener pastures and thankfully, he was quite helpful in coordinating with the present bodyshop manager to explain the issue and bringing him up to speed.

There were small hiccups as workshop indicated that the email exchange (with FIAT in the loop) was only an inspection report and final approval for repaint had to come from FIAT. A few phone calls later, the warranty claim was presented to FIAT and approved. But half a day had already elapsed and they said they would need an extra day to complete the painting and deliver the car. Having no other choice, I agreed and the car was to be delivered on Monday instead of the Saturday.

Since Monday was a working day, I was not able to collect the car myself. Luckily the workshop has a pick-up/drop service, for which nominal charges of Rs. 350/- is applicable. It's not the most preferred option, but not having any other choice, asked the workshop to deliver the car to my office. The fine print will always say that the car is driven at the owner’s risk, so I was quite jittery. But the car was delivered promptly without any issues.

I had provided the workshop a list of issues to look into:

1. Steering pulls to the left slightly – Wheel Alignment done. Though this has reduced, it has not gone away.

2. Boot Door - Handle badly installed; missing screws and gets loose when pulled – Screws installed

3. Noisy front suspension; slight left-right play (felt through steering wheel) over bad roads – Link rods found to be loose – tightened. Suspension is still a bit noisy, but the car drives ‘tighter’.

4. Spoiler – Adhesive tape coming off – Re-fixed.

I wanted to proactively change the engine oil (as a part of running in process) and had also purchased 3 litres of Selenia K synthetic oil. But Torrid indicated that they do not allow customer to provide parts / consumables. Apparently, the oil they use is semi-synthetic and if customer so chooses, they also have Mobil 0W40 synthetic oil priced at Rs. 1300/- per litre (as opposed to Selenia K which is literally half the cost). Since oil change is not a part of the service schedule at 5000km, guess I’ll get the oil changed locally around 7500km.

The service cost came to a total of Rs. 839 including Rs. 550 for Wheel Alignment and Rs. 250/- for consumables. Even though all fluids were at optimum levels, this amount was charged indicating that top ups are covered under this. Wonder what they topped off though. The car was vacuumed and washed prior to delivery.

The painted area blends well with the rest of the car and apart from a little bit of overspray artifacts, the paint job appears to be ok. Will let the paint cure for a bit and use Collinite 845 over the painted area for sealing the paint.

Speaking of Collinite 845, I have been using it on the car. Takes about 3-4 hours to cover the entire car. Have applied 2 coats of it so far. Unlike Turtle Wax, it’s really easy to apply and remove. And it leaves behind a nice smooth slippery surface which beads/sheets water. And of course, gives a good shine. And boy, is it versatile!! I use it more at home than on the car. Have used it on wooden furniture and laminates to get a deep wet shine. Surface also becomes easier to dust and repels water very well.

The engine has opened up decently. She still sounds a bit hoarse post 3500 rpm and does not sound as revv happy as the GTX. Guess that will improve with time.

Next steps: Planning to get the T-Jet re-mapped. And as a bonus, the GTX will also undergo spark timing advancement to boost throttle response and driveability. Watch this space.

PS: The mileage has improved progressively. She returns approx. 10.5 – 11.5 kmpl during office runs which sees a bit of open roads as well as 1st – 2nd gear traffic.

Name:  Screenshot_20151214191350.png
Views: 931
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  Screenshot_20151214191411.png
Views: 929
Size:  34.5 KB
thedragula is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
The painted area blends well with the rest of the car and apart from a little bit of overspray artifacts, the paint job appears to be ok. Will let the paint cure for a bit and use Collinite 845 over the painted area for sealing the paint.
The good news is the spots haven't returned on my year on repainted panels , but I will have to get the door and bonnet rubbed and polished at some point as I have a wavy clear coat. I also had some mild rust on some of the allen bolts on the door and bonnet which they repainted.

Quote:
The engine has opened up decently. She still sounds a bit hoarse post 3500 rpm and does not sound as revv happy as the GTX. Guess that will improve with time.
Quote:
Next steps: Planning to get the T-Jet re-mapped. And as a bonus, the GTX will also undergo spark timing advancement to boost throttle response and driveability. Watch this space
Even with 10k on the ODO, the mild roughness has never really gone away when reved hard. It has just become less noticiable. With the re-map I rarely have to rev more than 3000 to get enough shove for city use, which I guess also helps my mileage. Good luck on the remap.

Quote:
PS: The mileage has improved progressively. She returns approx. 10.5 – 11.5 kmpl during office runs which sees a bit of open roads as well as 1st – 2nd gear traffic.
I am now getting a steady 10.4 kmpl with 50% AC using the tank to tank method with Shell regular on Map-2. The MID is pretty accurate and has shown 10.5 kmpl both times.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 18:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post

Even with 10k on the ODO, the mild roughness has never really gone away when reved hard. It has just become less noticiable. With the re-map I rarely have to rev more than 3000 to get enough shove for city use, which I guess also helps my mileage. Good luck on the remap.

I am now getting a steady 10.4 kmpl with 50% AC using the tank to tank method with Shell regular on Map-2. The MID is pretty accurate and has shown 10.5 kmpl both times.
Just curious. What was the mileage before the remap and after. Did you find any improvement or did it drop because you drove it more spiritedly. From your earlier posts, I believe that you don't stress the engine as much because you accomplish moves in the city in the lower revs itself in and around the turbo zones. Has the remap reduced the number of gear shifts? I find the 1st gear to be pretty useless except to get the car moving. Its the third gear that's most versatile (as is the case with all fiat cars).

The MID is pretty darn accurate. In fact, there is hardly a difference of 0.5kmpl between the MID indicated figure and the figure you get after tankful-tankful comparison. I have a theory why even this miniscule discrepancy occurs. If you set the MID to the instantaneous consumption mode, you will see that when coasting in gear (i.e., when you are completely off the accelerator, the MID figure quickly climbs upto 50kmpl and stays there. I think this is what distorts the final reading (a little by little over the 400-450km range). Further, even when a tankful- tankful comparison is made, there is always a slight discrepancy between the amounts filled and what you consider as a 'tank-full'. For example, in the first fill up, there could have been room for maybe half a litre more and in the second, you could have filled it to the brim.

On an unrelated note, the manual advises "to fill the tank till the first cut off - wait a few seconds and then fill again till next cut off, and stop". I always follow this method to determine what is tankful and refrain from filling to the brim.

Filling to the brim can foul with the working of the fuel evaporator canister or something like that. I read a post on an other forum. Link below. Read the first post.

http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/my-l....13385/page-10

Last edited by thedragula : 16th December 2015 at 18:26.
thedragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 19:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Just curious. What was the mileage before the remap and after. Did you find any improvement or did it drop because you drove it more spiritedly. From your earlier posts, I believe that you don't stress the engine as much because you accomplish moves in the city in the lower revs itself in and around the turbo zones. Has the remap reduced the number of gear shifts? I find the 1st gear to be pretty useless except to get the car moving. Its the third gear that's most versatile (as is the case with all fiat cars).
I honestly don't remember the exact mileage I got before the remap, but it was lower than than what I am getting now. I can, put it on the stock map and check for you, but I clearly remember that I needed to dial in more throttle to get the desired response compared to the remap which meant going into the turbo zone. Bottom end torque is clearly better, and it happily pulls from as low as 1500 in 4th, so yes gear changes have reduced the number of shifts. The car very willingly will let me shift up under 2000, and I get no shudder/knocking from the drivetrain which you normally get if under strain. The throttle response has improved, which means smaller inputs from your right foot to get up to speed, but because of this I don't feel the need to push it hard on a daily basis. I guess the remap has made me a more sedate driver.

Quote:
The MID is pretty darn accurate. In fact, there is hardly a difference of 0.5kmpl between the MID indicated figure and the figure you get after tankful-tankful comparison. I have a theory why even this miniscule discrepancy occurs. If you set the MID to the instantaneous consumption mode, you will see that when coasting in gear (i.e., when you are completely off the accelerator, the MID figure quickly climbs upto 50kmpl and stays there. I think this is what distorts the final reading (a little by little over the 400-450km range). Further, even when a tankful- tankful comparison is made, there is always a slight discrepancy between the amounts filled and what you consider as a 'tank-full'. For example, in the first fill up, there could have been room for maybe half a litre more and in the second, you could have filled it to the brim.

On an unrelated note, the manual advises "to fill the tank till the first cut off - wait a few seconds and then fill again till next cut off, and stop". I always follow this method to determine what is tankful and refrain from filling to the brim.

Filling to the brim can have foul with the working of the fuel evaporator canister or something like that. I read a post on an other forum. Link below. Read the first post.

I initially did set the MID to instantaneous, and realised I was concentrating more on the stupid MID than the road.

I normally only fill to the first cut off and then top up to the closest Rs.100.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 19:45   #40
BHPian

thedragula, If you are ever in Bangalore you are welcome to come and try it before you take the plunge with your remap.
keroo1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 22:34   #41
BHPian

3. Noisy front suspension; slight left-right play (felt through steering wheel) over bad roads – Link rods found to be loose – tightened. Suspension is still a bit noisy, but the car drives ‘tighter’.

Its a pleasure owning a jet!!

My ride as well had the same issue. They tightened the link rods a week later the sound from the suspension was to be heard again.

Took back to service centre and they had to change the front suspension.

If the sound still persist insist them to check again, perhaps the suspension change is necessary you could get this done during the warranty period itself
shijinpr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote