Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2015, 21:26   #241
BHPian
 
sammycoolster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 57
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

GTO

Well the BMW Assist is a great package, and I am not sure why its not being offered in India. The customers pay so much of money to acquire these expensive barges.

Its actually an independent phone line from your car to their call center and it works just at the press of the button highlighted in the pic.

If you are in an accident it automatically senses a crash, and sends 911, ambulance etc, to the spot without any intervention autonomously.

In this country with very vast and deserted roads I find it to be a boon , where I could call to get directions etc if I am lost without a GPS.

Also my car comes with the myBMW app to control the car etc, is that available in the Indian models too ? You can track your car using GPS map etc, lock unlock, sound the horn, turn on the AC remotely etc. Attaching pics of it too..

The three buttons you see below the mirror are garage door openers that you can store from your garage remote. I am sure this can be adopted too, to automate gates at homes in India.

Posting a pic of the sensor on the door for full keyless entry. The same sensor is present on all the doors. You touch that area with those lines to lock, and hold the door handle anywhere to unlock. Agree its a big facility too, and BMW India should not have skimped on it.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-screenshot_20150912112948.png  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-screenshot_20150912112958.png  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-screenshot_20150912113022.png  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-screenshot_20150912113031.png  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-screenshot_20150912113035.png  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20150911_110226.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20150911_110309.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20150911_110415.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20150911_110512.jpg  

sammycoolster is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 21:35   #242
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 124
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

GTO,
Congratulations on the kickass new car and the fantastic review. I share the same enthusiasm that the other members have stated - its one of the most comprehensive ones I've ever seen. Cheers to that!

I am based out of Sion, Mumbai and looking at a Pre-owned BMW that is 2009 and out of warranty. Do you have any suggestions on good FNG operating in and around Sion/Dadar that can do a good job on a high end BMW?

I'd appreciate any recommendations
maverhick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 06:28   #243
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 623
Thanked: 267 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
Well the BMW Assist is a great package, and I am not sure why its not being offered in India. The customers pay so much of money to acquire these expensive barges.

Its actually an independent phone line from your car to their call center and it works just at the press of the button highlighted in the pic.

If you are in an accident it automatically senses a crash, and sends 911, ambulance etc, to the spot without any intervention autonomously.
I remember reading somewhere (possibly the official review) that this feature is available in the Ford Ecosport in India.

Quote:
Also my car comes with the myBMW app to control the car etc, is that available in the Indian models too ? You can track your car using GPS map etc, lock unlock, sound the horn, turn on the AC remotely etc
Again this feature is available in the Mahindra Reva E2O.

Quote:
Posting a pic of the sensor on the door for full keyless entry. The same sensor is present on all the doors. You touch that area with those lines to lock, and hold the door handle anywhere to unlock. Agree its a big facility too, and BMW India should not have skimped on it.
We just need to find a way of retrofitting it. I'm sure it's possible.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 08:23   #244
BHPian
 
sammycoolster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 57
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
.


We just need to find a way of retrofitting it. I'm sure it's possible.
Well the coding needs to be done, as well as, I think the wiring etc might be different. But I dont see why not, might be tricky but not tough.
sammycoolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 12:29   #245
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,181
Thanked: 65,471 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Update!

Took the 530d out for her 6th highway trip over the weekend! This has become our highway steed of choice and, because of the safety on offer, I don't think the other cars will be seeing any highway running at all.

Went via my favourite Mumbai-Nasik highway to our Deolali home. It was a 500 km round-trip. This car is seriously built for the open road. The monsoons have left their mark on the highway and the road quality wasn't good at many points. The suspension thoroughly impressed with its cushy ride. The refined engine, powerful headlamps and ready torque for instant overtaking made the night drive fun (left on Friday evening).

The trip reassured me of the 530d's practicality. The boot comfortably accommodated innumerable bags (as we were moving some stuff there). Through the entire trip - which included a fair share of rural-type roads & tall jugaad speedbreakers - the 5 didn't scrape her underbelly even once. Filled up the tank before leaving and got back home with a lot of diesel to spare - love the long tank range. I again bring up the Jaguar XJ in my circle; the owner simply refuses to take it out of town because the Jaguar can't clear speedbreakers & needs premium petrol to run.

The way back was even more fun as I was driving alone! Ah, the simpler pleasures of life. The open road, a nice car and great music to give you company. The engine is absolutely ferocious...every time you floor it, she menacingly leaps forward. The gearbox is equally competent & undoubtedly the best AT on sale today. I let the beast loose on the one-way ghat section after Igatpuri. The sheer grip is insane and she can take corners at speeds impossible in a mass-market sedan. Equally, you feel the massive weight of the car through the curves. While she has immaculate poise, she does feel very bulky under hard cornering.

Bought Kinley 1-liter bottles and they wouldn't fit in anywhere! Sucks - how can you drive on the highway without sipping on a water bottle? Finally got Bisleri 1 liters which fit in the cup-holders (ahead of the gearlever). I'd like to meet the dimwit who designed the door pockets of this car.

Noticed that the HUD console creates an unwanted reflection at certain times when the sun is right ahead of you. Will add this to the opening page.

Last observation: Say you're cruising in 8th gear and want to overtake. It's just better to kickdown the accelerator instead of using the paddles. Reason? You have to pull the paddle all of 4 - 5 times! Instead, kickdown the accelerator and the gearbox will automatically drop 4 - 5 gears. On a related note, she's reluctant to go above 6th gear in Sport mode, so that the engine is always ready to respond. The difference in throttle response between comfort & sport on the highway is enormous (mainly because sport is always driving in a lower gear + higher rpm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
Also my car comes with the myBMW app to control the car etc, is that available in the Indian models too ? You can track your car using GPS map etc, lock unlock, sound the horn, turn on the AC remotely etc.
Nope, not available in India.

Quote:
Posting a pic of the sensor on the door for full keyless entry. The same sensor is present on all the doors. You touch that area with those lines to lock, and hold the door handle anywhere to unlock. Agree its a big facility too, and BMW India should not have skimped on it.
This is the feature I miss the MOST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverhick View Post
I am based out of Sion, Mumbai and looking at a Pre-owned BMW that is 2009 and out of warranty. Do you have any suggestions on good FNG operating in and around Sion/Dadar that can do a good job on a high end BMW?
Look no further than the brutally honest & very capable Sunil Shanbagh - Team-BHP Directory (Select Auto Garage - Sunil Shanbaug (Dadar, Mumbai)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
Well the coding needs to be done, as well as, I think the wiring etc might be different. But I dont see why not, might be tricky but not tough.
No alterations until year 2020 (my warranty is in place through 2019). Till then, better tubeless tyres is the only mod my 5-Series will see.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 13:06   #246
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Udumalpet
Posts: 46
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Hi GTO glad you are enjoying your beast. I had driven my father in laws 530d m sport couple of weeks back to Bangalore from my home town which is about 400km one way trip. The drive was serious fun and I was damn excited. The tyres were showing signs of uneven wear so took the car to Madhus in Bangalore. I got the wheel alignment and balancing done though I could not meet our tyre expert Nikhil. I also enquired about the possible tyre options in the tubeless category for the car and was surprised to hear that there are no tubeless tyres available in the size for 530d m sport. So GTO since you are planning to move to tubeless can you please advise me on this. Thanks
surgvij is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 13:35   #247
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,107
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Many congrats GTO on an awsome buy! And an equally awesome review. Rated 5 stars :-)

BTW, how much did the BSI package cost you (I saw you didn't take the BSI service, only repair options) ?

For these German standard size saloons, door pockets are useless. I was driving a rental E200 Bluetec diesel in Europe on vacation, and even 500ml water bottles wouldn't go in the Merc's door pockets (not until the bottle was esp. thin and flexy, and you can crush it in :-() On top of it, the E200 didn't have any regular cup-holders, only the compartment in front of the COMAND button (that didn't have the cup groove sockets)! How inconvenient when doing a driving holiday over 3000km ?
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 18:16   #248
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,181
Thanked: 65,471 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

So I configured the 530d on BMW USA's website (they call our 530d spec as the 535d). With all the options that my car has, it came up to a whopping $72,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgvij View Post
I had driven my father in laws 530d m sport couple of weeks back to Bangalore from my home town which is about 400km one way trip. The drive was serious fun and I was damn excited.


Quote:
I also enquired about the possible tyre options in the tubeless category for the car and was surprised to hear that there are no tubeless tyres available in the size for 530d m sport.
Unfortunately, that does appear to be the case. I spoke to Saifee Tyres and they can procure this size in runflats, but aren't sure about tubeless.

Unsurprising as no tyre dealer would want to lock his money down on such niche tyre sizes.

Best to order online as BHPian Karan561 did - related thread (My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA). I'm seeing Michelin Super Sports on tirerack for about $1000. Add customs etc and it should be under 90k.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-capture.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
BTW, how much did the BSI package cost you (I saw you didn't take the BSI service, only repair options) ?
1.8 lakhs for the extended warranty (45k / year).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 19:43   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,743 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Quote:
Bought Kinley 1-liter bottles and they wouldn't fit in anywhere! Sucks - how can you drive on the highway without sipping on a water bottle? Finally got Bisleri 1 liters which fit in the cup-holders (ahead of the gearlever). I'd like to meet the dimwit who designed the door pockets of this car.
Perhaps these are for 0,5 ltr Evian

Quote:
On a related note, she's reluctant to go above 6th gear in Sport mode, so that the engine is always ready to respond.
I am not sure on this as I normally cruise on sports mode never felt that this will not go beyond 6th , what I always feel though is the way gearbox responds - so if I am driving sedately this will be reluctant to downshift even if pushed but in case it's being driven fast it will downshift eagerly - don't know if this is due to some kind of learning of gearbox or just mindset ?

Quote:
So I configured the 530d on BMW USA's website (they call our 530d spec as the 535d). With all the options that my car has, it came up to a whopping $72,000
That's the reason I always tell everyone about fair pricing of most of European manufacturers - now if you were to build LC -200 on Toyota USA it should cost less than 90 Grand and look at the prices they sell here or even the Hybrid camry which is assembled locally . I think CKD cars are fairly priced in India by these German trio whereas not many Japanese companies specially Toyota has done any major efforts to competitively price or launch complete range like Germans

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th September 2015 at 19:50.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 21:22   #250
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,181
Thanked: 65,471 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
GTO, Could you help if the multimedia remote also works for the main head unit upfront.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
On the trips when I'm not driving the car in city. It's real pain to control ICE from the back
Just thought of this.

How about pairing your smartphone via bluetooth? That way, you can control the ICE from the backseat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Perhaps these are for 0,5 ltr Evian
Good one.

Quote:
don't know if this is due to some kind of learning of gearbox or just mindset ?
Yeah, I think modern gearboxes definitely have logic & adaptation to driving styles (Ford claims the new Endeavour's AT does the same).

Quote:
I think CKD cars are fairly priced in India by these German trio whereas not many Japanese companies specially Toyota has done any major efforts to competitively price or launch complete range like Germans
Toyota is an exception where it ridiculously prices its CBUs. But the Germans are equally to blame. Their prices have now reached absurd levels.

No wonder you get 10 lakhs off on cars from the executive class (E-Class, 5-Series, A6). I hear even the new C-Class is entering discount zone (3 - 4 lakhs off on some variants). Just goes to show their prices on paper are out of touch with reality. Unsustainable.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 05:48   #251
BHPian
 
sammycoolster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 57
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So I configured the 530d on BMW USA's website (they call our 530d spec as the 535d). With all the options that my car has, it came up to a whopping $72,000.
Well, still the car is almost 25% - 30% more expensive in India at the bare minimum, and does not carry a lot of the standard features that you get here stateside, like LoJack car security, BMW Assist and so on.

My car has a 4 year / 50000 miles (80000 kms) free maintenance bumper to bumper, for which BMW charges in lakhs in India as BSI. And to reiterate its not just warranty but free maintenance in addition to that. So essentially all you do is just tank up on gas, and let the guy roll, not paying anything from your pocket for 4 years.

In fact junior level employees in the office drive BMWs and corvettes , here in my company. You cannot tell who is an exec and who is a junior level employee just by looking at the car they drive.

Last edited by sammycoolster : 16th September 2015 at 05:50.
sammycoolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 11:34   #252
BHPian
 
Simple_car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dance Bar City!
Posts: 299
Thanked: 524 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Excellent review there GTO.

Your presentation skills are really good. Your attention to the small things from the owner's perspective is just a bonus.

Choice of car: excellent.

If you had asked me to consider a BMW 5 years back, I wouldn't even think of buying one in India, because of their ride. I personally like their bangle design cars a lot more than their current lineup (though the current line up is also 'not bad' in my eyes).

I have predominantly new gen benz's in my circle, and I personally feel that the benz's are far more suited to our conditions, even from a driver's point of view (mind you, I am the kind of person who loves fast, aggressive cars with good chassis setup). That said, the 530d is extremely compelling in it's own right. The earlier BMW packs made these cars a no brainer to buy.

One point I feel compelled to write about is the interiors of these german trio. All of them use those hideous elephant-hide looking soft leather predominantly. Honestly, it's a sore sight to me. I have never liked them, and still hate to be surrounded by these things. I was hoping audi would be better, but alas..nope. I really want to know why they are so popular with the manufacturers, and if there are better alternatives.

Congrats, and wishing you peaceful and happy miles with the new sedan.

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. no wonder your cars were well maintained in mumbai. You have your own garage! Extremely envious of you..
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 09:38   #253
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,181
Thanked: 65,471 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
Well, still the car is almost 25% - 30% more expensive in India at the bare minimum
Yeah, no doubt. My point was not comparing it to Indian prices, but rather how expensive the 535d (aka 530d) is by USA standards.

Don't miss Turbanator's point either. Cars from the mass market are priced 75 - 100% more than their USA counterparts. With the 5-Series, the price difference is slimmer. It's overpriced in India and it's overpriced in the USA.

Quote:
In fact junior level employees in the office drive BMWs and corvettes , here in my company. You cannot tell who is an exec and who is a junior level employee just by looking at the car they drive.
You could, by their house ! I remember some classmates of mine in Boston. They'd live in a rented 1 bedroom, but there's no stopping their splurging on cars. From big Cadillac SUVs to Audis, Mercedes & BMWs. The nice cars come first. Everything else follows later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Your presentation skills are really good. Your attention to the small things from the owner's perspective is just a bonus.

Choice of car: excellent.
Thanks!

Quote:
If you had asked me to consider a BMW 5 years back, I wouldn't even think of buying one in India, because of their ride.
True. The E60 & E90 had suspensions that were way too stiff and steerings way too hard to live with (later E90s switched to an EPS for this reason).

Quote:
One point I feel compelled to write about is the interiors of these german trio. All of them use those hideous elephant-hide looking soft leather predominantly.
You really think so? I love this leather. Can you give an example of what kind of leather you'd prefer?

Quote:
You have your own garage! Extremely envious of you..
I can accommodate 8 cars....but garage is only one. And it's going back to the Jeep soon .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 23:14   #254
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,904
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Congratulations GTO! Excellent write up and that is one stunner of a car!

Wish you many happy miles in the beast.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 23:37   #255
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,397
Thanked: 7,201 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

A quick question, Are you following the "Idling Rule" for your 530d ?
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-Worshipped BMW E60 530d - JOY Unlimited! over.drive Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 52 18th September 2015 16:08
Bought a Pre-worshipped, Pre-team bhped Cedia-My journey from one Sport to another carfreak Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 50 18th January 2012 18:37
My F10 BMW 530d - Wise or Blunder? Only time shall tell! S350L-E240 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 75 25th December 2011 20:32
2009 Mercedes Benz E350 cdi Avantgarde (w212) vs 2010 BMW 530d (f10) PlatzdaTurbo The Indian Car Scene 60 27th October 2010 12:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks