Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 17:33   #571
Newbie
 
Sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 21
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Dear Hashed,
I don't want to confuse you, but did you consider newly launched 3GT 330i?
Sail is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 23:32   #572
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 620 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashed View Post

The heart goes with 530d but the mind goes with 3GT due to the practicality it provides - this is going to be a family car with the occasional 5 adults on long drives (see my short pros and cons compare below). Although I know I'm comparing different motors, somehow as an overall package I feel this is a good comparison.

lacks high end grunt



Anyone else who can help compare, please share your views. Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You can simplify it by asking yourself the following question - Is driving pleasure more important to me than backseat comfort? If so, it's the 530d. If not, go for the 3GT.



Personally, I tend to go with the heart in such situations. For those 'occasional' times that you absolutely must carry 5 adults, am sure there are other cars in the house (I have a very spacious Sunny).



If backseat comfort & practicality are more important to you than driving pleasure, do check out the new Skoda Superb & Ford Endeavour. I'd pick them over the 3GT. More space, more practical, still premium.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Dear Hashed,

I don't want to confuse you, but did you consider newly launched 3GT 330i?

@Sail: Super alternate suggestion.

As a 3 GT owner who regularly ogles at the Endy let me throw in my bit.

- There's no comparison in the performance of the 530 (I'm sure) with the 3 GT.
- Having said that, the 3 GT is exciting enough to drive and if you're ok with petrol, Sail's excellent suggestion will help bridge the performance to practicality dilemma in good measure.

To GTO's point, if long drives with 5 on board is a requirement i would rather own the GT which is nicer to take on such an outing than my more practical beater car option like a Sunny - but that's just me.

On the point of Endy, it is awesome to drive in a very different way to a GT. Both cars will bring a smile for very different reasons when it comes to driving pleasure. Your call which one of these works for you. Clearly the Endy is much more practical in a certain sense but its also a lot more real estate to move around and you need to decide whether that works for you.

The GT - great performance sedan with oodles of practicality.
530D: all performance, reasonable comfort, less practical though on space etc.
Endy: Super practicality, luxurious - cant match performance of a german sedan though. Great for touring as well.
GT petrol. All of the diesel GT with much better performance.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably pick between the Endy or one of the GTs.

Cheers
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 16:32   #573
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Help...spares for a 2012 BMW 525D

GTO,

I read your review of your 530D with great interest. Close to 2 years ago I bought a pre-owned 525D dating from 2012. It's the 6 cylinder model...I live in Bangalore.

I did the first service under my watch (around 11 months ago) privately, after buying the consummables/spares form Navnit Motors. The technician was a friend that tunes Porsches and Lamborghinis, and he did a damned fine job.

However, I found it an expensive proposition.
Could you advise me of alternative routes to buy OEM spares? Navnit obviously adds a profit margin over the import duty...

Is it a viable option for instance to import them, if so, from where?

I've an oil change service due next month.

Would appreciate any pointers.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 10:10   #574
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,149
Thanked: 65,306 Times
Default Re: Help...spares for a 2012 BMW 525D

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Close to 2 years ago I bought a pre-owned 525D dating from 2012. It's the 6 cylinder model...I live in Bangalore.
Sweet! It was the 525d (which I drove before the 530d) that made me fall in love with the F10. How's the experience been? How many km up?

Quote:
The technician was a friend that tunes Porsches and Lamborghinis, and he did a damned fine job.
Even my car (once she's out of warranty) will be serviced by an independent.

Quote:
Could you advise me of alternative routes to buy OEM spares?
There are many options.

1. Stock up on parts from GSF. They ship internationally and come highly recommended from Moderator Ajmat who has first-hand experience with them.

Quote:
GSF Car Parts operates a dedicated export department out of our Heathrow distribution hub, which can handle all aspects of importing and exporting car parts worldwide.

We have specialist knowledge of parts for all makes of car, in particular European and Japanese and can arrange door to door or port to port shipping where required. We use most major OEM suppliers including Bosch, Brembo, TRW, Honeywell, Purflux, Hengst, Mann Filter, Valeo, Luk, Sachs and many more. We have over 60,000 parts in stock and available for immediate shipment, with new parts being added regularly to our range.

GSF Car Parts offer greater international coverage than most of our competitors through our large warehouse based at London Heathrow, so we are able to supply car parts across Europe and Worldwide. Enquiries are welcome from both retail and trade customers:
2. Place an order through a big retailer in India. In areas like Opera House Mumbai (am sure there's an equivalent in Bangalore), you'll get practically anything you need. Those shops even store parts for old cars like the Mercedes W123, so for an F10, spares are plentiful.

3. Order from the likes of Shetty Motors (I've been their customer since the 90s), Spareshub (nice people to deal with) or Boodmo (no personal experience with them). Talk to Somnath @ Shetty Motors - he ships all across India.

4. Get it through your independent. My C220 used to visit Ajay Parekh @ Walkeshwar. He used to get OEM parts from Dubai. Was dirt cheap compared to dealership pricing.

Last edited by GTO : 9th November 2016 at 10:16.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 10:27   #575
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 620 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even my car (once she's out of warranty) will be serviced by an independent.

3. Order from the likes of Shetty Motors (I've been their customer since the 90s), Spareshub (nice people to deal with) or Boodmo (no personal experience with them). Talk to Somnath @ Shetty Motors - he ships all across India.

4. Get it through your independent. My C220 used to visit Ajay Parekh @ Walkeshwar. He used to get OEM parts from Dubai. Was dirt cheap compared to dealership pricing.

I was keenly waiting for this reply. Thanks for the info. A friend of mine also uses an independent mech on his 90,000 kms run Freelander 2. He mentioned his mechanic's view was that Dubai is not always reliable on authenticity of parts and he preferred to import from U.K. This I think not just because it's JLR but for Germans too.

I have no view or intel on this. Just repeating what I heard but I'd be interested to know if you have any thoughts on this Dubai vs UK aspect.

I'm always happy to run my cars for as many years as possible (my civic is in its 7th year and I may well run it for another 2-3 years). I'm mentally prepared to sell the GT however on 5th anniversary given it's an expensive German but it's interesting to hear about the ability to hang on to it with lower reliable service through the independents.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 14:19   #576
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Help...spares for a 2012 BMW 525D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sweet! It was the 525d (which I drove before the 530d) that made me fall in love with the F10. How's the experience been? How many km up?
Thanks Boss.

I bought her with 54 K on the clock, and in 2 years have taken that to 70+ K.
Tremendous machine especially in the hills where the relentless torque put a lasting smile on the mug (Bangalore -Yercaud).

She's big and ungainly in Bangalore's crazy traffic where autos and motorcyclists literally sit on your bonnet without a qualm, but I take her long-distance whenever possible....most frequently to Chennai/Mysore etc.

I love the way she drives on the highway. The car's mass is well concealed, but you can never hide from it, so having to scrub off speed when other vehicles loom out of nowhere is a pain, but she delivered me as fresh as if I'd flown in an A320, every single trip.

Quote:
Even my car (once she's out of warranty) will be serviced by an independent.
Thanks for your inputs. I shall keep them in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw1.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw2.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw3.jpg  


Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2016 at 00:05. Reason: Fixing quote
netchef is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 00:18   #577
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,149
Thanked: 65,306 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
He mentioned his mechanic's view was that Dubai is not always reliable on authenticity of parts and he preferred to import from U.K.
Really depends on who you buy from. Even at Opera House, you'll find honest shops & scamsters, both.

Quote:
I'm mentally prepared to sell the GT however on 5th anniversary given it's an expensive German but it's interesting to hear about the ability to hang on to it with lower reliable service through the independents.
I don't think you'll need to sell at the 5 year mark. The reliability of BMWs is better than that of Audi & Mercedes. My 3 year old car has had a single issue - water leakage (one simple, stupid plastic cap gone bad). After looking at the Innova niggles thread (mint's air-con conking off multiple times), I think I can live with that .

When I had my C220, the cost of maintenance each year varied between 50 - 100k (IIRC). I think it had averaged to 75k as the car was nearing the 9 year / 100,000 km mark. Considering my Jeep costs me 12 - 15k a year and so did the Civic, it didn't bother me to pay that kind of money for a premium European. Even if the 530d settles at an average of 1.5 lakhs a year post-warranty, I'm okay with that. It's a small price to pay for a luxury car with this kind of astonishing performance. Plus, you always think when the car is old - for what value she offers, the resale is peanuts. My C220 sold for a piddly 5.xx lakhs and I can tell you, it was one heck of a car. Accord V6 owners who can't get over 3 - 4 lakhs for their ride must be feeling the same way.

As long as you find a good independent (there are PLENTY in Bombay), you should be all set. Part supply isn't an issue in a big city either.

As long as the reliability doesn't get horrendous with time, these cars are keepers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
I bought her with 54 K on the clock, and in 2 years have taken that to 70+ K.

Tremendous machine especially in the hills where the relentless torque put a lasting smile on the mug (Bangalore -Yercaud).
Neat! Yeah, the beast can climb with relentless pace. And the grip levels are a-m-a-z-i-n-g. My family had quite an experience on the Igatpuri ghat, this Diwali weekend .

Dude, your car looks drool-worthy. What I wouldn't give to change my body colour to white or silver.

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2016 at 00:23.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 11:40   #578
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Neat! Yeah, the beast can climb with relentless pace. And the grip levels are a-m-a-z-i-n-g. My family had quite an experience on the Igatpuri ghat, this Diwali weekend .

Dude, your car looks drool-worthy. What I wouldn't give to change my body colour to white or silver.
Thanks. White is a nuisance to maintain, but definitely gives her a stately presence (like a real estate Czar or Minister floating down the road). I'm partial to black, but then that too is tough in terms of upkeep plus it grabs radiation to give the AC a run-for-its-money.

I swapped two cheap-and-cheerful (meaning junk) Korean rear tyres for Pirelli P Zero I think a couple of months ago. When I asked around if it was advisable to migrate to staggered sizing that I was keen on, almost all said an emphatic 'no' so I stuck with OEM. Now I'm waiting for the front tyres to wear out; what's your opinion on a staggered setup?

Given I'm a superbike rider that gets his buzz from speed, it's hugely ironic I'm aware that I have yet to try the manual gear override. Even up the ghats to Yercaud I left her in auto and simply stomped on the go-pedal. I think a huge chunk of the magic of the machine is thanks to the alchemy of its ZF gearbox. Of course, the engine is a gem. I saw half a dozen machines with the new twin-turbo 4 cylinder engine that actually generates more BHP, but I'm really glad I stood my ground till I found the butter-smooth in-line 6. Friends that I've transported were astonished when I informed them it was a diesel!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th November 2016 at 11:42. Reason: fixing the quote tag. thanks.
netchef is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 09:16   #579
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,149
Thanked: 65,306 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Thanks. White is a nuisance to maintain
Silver is the best of both worlds. Easy to maintain, fantastic to look at.

Quote:
I'm partial to black, but then that too is tough in terms of upkeep plus it grabs radiation to give the AC a run-for-its-money.
The air-con is damn powerful. I don't remember ever setting it at the lowest temperature, even on the hottest day.

Quote:
When I asked around if it was advisable to migrate to staggered sizing that I was keen on, almost all said an emphatic 'no' so I stuck with OEM. Now I'm waiting for the front tyres to wear out; what's your opinion on a staggered setup?
Only advantage of a 275 mm staggered setup is:

- Little more grip when accelerating and cornering
- Looks

But make no mistake, the 245 mm tyres are also thick. Get a good brand (like your P Zero) and you have awesome grip. 245 mm all around is definitely more practical and the preferred option. Advantages:

- Tubeless tyres available (not so in 275 mm)
- Easier to rotate
- Cheaper

Quote:
I'm aware that I have yet to try the manual gear override
I'm a heavy user of my paddle-shifters! They are a lot of fun because the car allows aggressive downshifts & upshifts. Try using manual shifts and you'll get addicted to them when you're in the mood for fun.

Quote:
but I'm really glad I stood my ground till I found the butter-smooth in-line 6.
6-cylinder is 6-cylinder. No comparison with 4s .
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 00:19   #580
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

I am pleasantly surprised to see that Mumbai has a great used car market. I am in the market for a 2.5 year old x3 and the are exactly 0 options across all platforms put together here in. Bangalore ! Most cars are 2012 and have some funny history - how I wish we had no state wise registration challenges
vivekrvcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 10:10   #581
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,385
Thanked: 5,233 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
I swapped two cheap-and-cheerful (meaning junk) Korean rear tyres for Pirelli P Zero I think a couple of months ago. When I asked around if it was advisable to migrate to staggered sizing that I was keen on, almost all said an emphatic 'no' so I stuck with OEM. Now I'm waiting for the front tyres to wear out; what's your opinion on a staggered setup?

Given I'm a superbike rider that gets his buzz from speed, it's hugely ironic I'm aware that I have yet to try the manual gear override. Even up the ghats to Yercaud I left her in auto and simply stomped on the go-pedal. I think a huge chunk of the magic of the machine is thanks to the alchemy of its ZF gearbox. Of course, the engine is a gem. I saw half a dozen machines with the new twin-turbo 4 cylinder engine that actually generates more BHP, but I'm really glad I stood my ground till I found the butter-smooth in-line 6. Friends that I've transported were astonished when I informed them it was a diesel!
You can definitely upgrade to staggered. Maybe put the current tyres on the front and get the 245s at the rear. The issue will be finding tyres in 245/50 R17, don't think you will have too many options.

Do use the manual gearbox, its great fun, though I suspect GTO will have a little more fun since his car has the sport auto transmission which yours is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But make no mistake, the 245 mm tyres are also thick. Get a good brand (like your P Zero) and you have awesome grip. 245 mm all around is definitely more practical and the preferred option. Advantages:

- Tubeless tyres available (not so in 275 mm)
- Easier to rotate
- Cheaper
Who said anything about 245s? The standard size on the F10 he has is 225/55 R17 which is just about enough for the 520d. Imagine the 6 cylinders with such a thin tyre.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 10:34   #582
BHPian
 
#enzowho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PY01;TN14;KA04
Posts: 154
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Have them checked again. No such issue on my car.



None on my car yet, although I won't be surprised if they crop up. Tell the service center to fix them. From my review:
They say the brakes are fine but not so in my opinion. Tired of making them understand hence gonna upgrade on my own.

They replaced the mounts and the vibrations have definitely come down but the knocking issue in the suspension wasn't fixed due to non availability of parts*thats what they say* so they just retorqued the suspension components but now there's knocking on both sides.

Asked them to come and check it out throughly again.

Overall the ASS is a bag of mixed opinion.

Planning on lowering the car and adding the Vorsteiner Front CF splitter before the performance mods.
#enzowho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 11:16   #583
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,149
Thanked: 65,306 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
I am pleasantly surprised to see that Mumbai has a great used car market.
Mumbai has an awesome used car market; however, Delhi is even better.

Quote:
I am in the market for a 2.5 year old x3 and the are exactly 0 options across all platforms put together here in
Keep looking. Less than a month back, a friend had shared a link of a ~2 year old X5 3.0 with either warranty or BSI coverage (don't remember exactly which one). Car looked damn good. IIRC, asking price was in the low 40s. Guess it's sold as the Quikr link no longer works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Do use the manual gearbox, its great fun, though I suspect GTO will have a little more fun since his car has the sport auto transmission which yours is missing.
And the paddle-shifters! So much easier when the controls are on the steering wheel itself. I use the paddle shifters all the time.

Quote:
Who said anything about 245s? The standard size on the F10 he has is 225/55 R17 which is just about enough for the 520d.
His is the 6-cylinder 525d; guessing it came with the optional 18s (which our test 525d was wearing too)?

Quote:
Imagine the 6 cylinders with such a thin tyre.
Impossible. Just impossible. Will be sliding all over the place. Can be fun too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by #enzowho View Post
Planning on lowering the car
If you drive on the highway a lot, please don't. The enhanced ground clearance is a big plus of this car. I don't have to think twice before taking the 530d anywhere. In fact, I don't even remember the last time she scraped her underbelly anywhere (despite a minimum of one highway run per month).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 11:52   #584
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 21
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishkashyap View Post
Thanks a million! Makes sense. If i do not find the tubeless ones with the same configuration, then i will go ahead with the RFT's from the company dealer. Will keep you posted on how the hunt progresses.
Finally purchased RFT's from the company with exact same specs and brand. Thanks GTO for the thoughtful view on this topic.
ashishkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 12:10   #585
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
You can definitely upgrade to staggered. Maybe put the current tyres on the front and get the 245s at the rear. The issue will be finding tyres in 245/50 R17...

Yes, precisely what I'd planned. Not keen on reducing the profiles either.

Do use the manual gearbox, its great fun, though I suspect GTO will have a little more fun since his car has the sport auto transmission which yours is missing.

Shall try the manual soon.
Sure, GTO's paddle shifters are more fun...very F1 -esque.

Who said anything about 245s? The standard size on the F10 he has is 225/55 R17...
Yes, I believe you're right. I have the 225/55/17s on my car. Never found them 'thin' even when I pushed them to the limit on poor surfaces, but I do like fatter and more sticky rubber.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-Worshipped BMW E60 530d - JOY Unlimited! over.drive Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 52 18th September 2015 16:08
Bought a Pre-worshipped, Pre-team bhped Cedia-My journey from one Sport to another carfreak Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 50 18th January 2012 18:37
My F10 BMW 530d - Wise or Blunder? Only time shall tell! S350L-E240 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 75 25th December 2011 20:32
2009 Mercedes Benz E350 cdi Avantgarde (w212) vs 2010 BMW 530d (f10) PlatzdaTurbo The Indian Car Scene 60 27th October 2010 12:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks