Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st June 2017, 12:41   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The art of detailing

Enjoy the reflection!..
Wow.. Thats some detailing. Super job, and the car looks as good as new!

I find so much sense in this: Use the car carefully, albeit, put it to what use its made for. And, Instead of spending hours every week, trying to keep the swirl marks or water marks away, detail cars once in a year or two. Keeps them as good as new.

Quote:
Detailers call the process “cutting” (he was explaining how he did it with some 2k / 1k Standox mumbo jumbo):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I'm guessing the did the cutting on your full car to get rid of the swirl marks completely?
I have a car, which doesnt have a clear coat. When I asked him to do "cutting" to remove swirls, he said, unless its mandatory, dont do it, since it removes a layer off. Cant be done all through the vehicles life (paint life)
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 13:43   #722
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Vid6639...He visited my place yesterday; first thing he did after walking into my building was lift the cover and carefully study the bonnet . Watchman was wondering who this strange fellow is!
Here's proof

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-2.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-3.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-4.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-5.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I find so much sense in this: Use the car carefully, albeit, put it to what use its made for. And, Instead of spending hours every week, trying to keep the swirl marks or water marks away, detail cars once in a year or two. Keeps them as good as new.
Likewise man! I'm not one to spend time every week or month. I just follow the best practices listed here.

I get her detailed once in 6 months.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 14:04   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Likewise man! I'm not one to spend time every week or month. I just follow the best practices listed here.

I get her detailed once in 6 months.
If you dont wash it too often, there is no need to detail it every 6 months. Compounding and polishing repeatedly will only this the paint. Delay them as much as possible with other methods of maintaining it swirl free.
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 14:19   #724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here's proof
but should i laugh or cry! Am sure he would have found something off somewhere or a pebble on the tyre thread at least

While on the topic, i had mentioned this earlier also. Wash or wipe as less as possible, while washing only do proper dripping wet wash and add a layer of wax coat once a month or two. You can keep the swirls away for long and paint last for years.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st June 2017 at 14:21.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 15:05   #725
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Got to love that reflection! Moderator Vid6639 always gave me grief about the swirl marks on my bonnet (guessing the previous owner didnít use microfiber cloth!!). Itís the first time that my car is without any swirl marks Ė they were there even when I took delivery & neither Kamyo nor 3M could remove them. First thing I got out of this place, I sent Viddy a pic. He visited my place yesterday; first thing he did after walking into my building was lift the cover and carefully study the bonnet . Watchman was wondering who this strange fellow is!
Finally! I have seen this car every few months and everytime GTO would tell me it was detailed I found it not to satisfaction.

There were spider swirls one time due to improper polishing and they just didn't go away till now.

Yesterday was in Mumbai for some work and caught up with GTO. While entering his complex saw the 5 under cover. He had messaged me a day before saying he finally got it detailed and the swirls are gone. So when walking in I lifted the cover and checked the hood to see if swirls were gone. Watchman came running and gave me a look down as to what I was doing.

Looks like I was caught on CCTV as well.

All it needs is a tyvek cover for the rains.

Mazda motors looks like they have been well trained and have the right guys and products.

Finally Mumbai has a professional detailer. Bangalore is still spoilt for options when it comes to detailing.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 20:20   #726

Any idea on what the Grill temperature would be with the AC on and thermostat set at say 22C with car parked in a garage
msudhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 14:56   #727
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO - Fantastic work by the master as expected, I have sent my cars to him in the past but he seems to have upped the game. What are the new changes? And what was the damage?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:16   #728
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
If you dont wash it too often, there is no need to detail it every 6 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Wash or wipe as less as possible
My car is washed about twice a week most of the year. Only in the monsoon is it washed everyday because the car cover is taken off in the rains and it gets damn dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Finally! I have seen this car every few months and everytime GTO would tell me it was detailed I found it not to satisfaction.
I remember the look on your face outside Tertulia where the street lights were emphasizing the bonnet swirls.

Quote:
All it needs is a tyvek cover for the rains.
Can use a cover during the rains? I always got rid of the cover in the monsoon as I thought it'll mess up the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
he seems to have upped the game
I'd sent the black C220 to him and his work was always excellent. But this time - my goodness, the results are jaw dropping

Quote:
What are the new changes?
Hadn't visited his place in a long time so don't remember the exact changes.

Quote:
And what was the damage?
Don't have the bill in front of me, but IIRC, it was ~10k for the detailing work.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 18:47   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can use a cover during the rains? I always got rid of the cover in the monsoon as I thought it'll mess up the car.
If you own the place where the car is parked, why don't you build a shed with a aluminium roofing sheet,for covered parking. Those can be built without obstructing the driveway.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 18:51   #730
Team-BHP Support

There is this cover called Xtra Bond which is apparently completely waterproof. Its supposed to be safe in the rains. Probably worth a look at.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:10   #731
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If you own the place where the car is parked, why don't you build a shed with a aluminium roofing sheet,for covered parking.
Yep, own the building. Not ruling it out, but not right now. Most I've seen look ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
There is this cover called Xtra Bond which is apparently completely waterproof. Its supposed to be safe in the rains.
Thought about it some more and decided against it.

Let's say it is completely waterproof. But what if I return with the car when it's raining - putting a waterproof cover over a wet car will only trap all that dirty rain water / moisture inside?

I'll stick to my current system where it's 9 months with cover and 3 without.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 00:37   #732
BHPian

Hi GTO,
Awesome detailing work done. You always have a way to post something special (having the 530D helps) which we BHP'ians love to appreciate.
Was the 10k spent only for the exterior detailing including paint touch ups/ correction? Interior cleaning would have also cost extra and they have done a really good job. Beamer looks as good as brand new from the pics.
Money spent is really worth. Going by your line ''if you don't look back at your car after you park it you've bought the wrong car'' I'm sure now you would look back twice at your car after the detailing!
In Bangalore i expect such a detailing to cost atleast twice (not sure if same quality can be matched by detailers like Mohsin's Ultimate Detailerz. Probably Vid6639 can tell us about the quality and cost of detailing work in Bangalore.
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 10:34   #733
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
You always have a way to post something special (having the 530D helps) which we BHP'ians love to appreciate.
Thanks! Glad you like my writing .

Quote:
Beamer looks as good as brand new from the pics.
She is, though a highway trip yesterday + rains = she needs a wash again .

Quote:
not sure if same quality can be matched by detailers like Mohsin's Ultimate Detailerz
Going by posts & pictures on the forum, I think some Bangalore detailers are among the best in the business and easily match this.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 09:12   #734
BHPian

Awesome detailing job. Man, am jealous. I have a black Octavia and am giving it for detailing and interior cleaning this weekend to 3M. They are the only detailing guys I know in Hyderabad that are any good and while they do a decent job, it's not close to the job you got done on the 530d. I especially love the interior job. That looks new, period. Not sure if it was that dirty to begin with but man, that looks fresh out of a showroom.

Anyone know any good car detailing shops in Hyderabad apart from 3M?

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2017 at 17:26. Reason: Typo
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 09:44   #735
BHPian

Thanks GTO for sharing the detailing experience! I am a big swirls/scratch freak and hate to see even a single swirl on my car. I take my iphone s flashlight around to entire car after a wash to spot any swirls(it's bad for the eyes).

Normally I wash my car once every 3-4 months and when I do I take a good 5-6 hours to wash and wax it. While cleaning I make sure to clean the upper half of the car first and then the dirtier lower half. Otherwise the dirt and grit from the bottom half of the car can cause scratches. To avoid swirls, I use a electric leaf blower to remove the water once washed. Not only does this save time and energy in trying to wipe it, it eliminates chances of any swirls. Even the place where I get my car detailed uses the high intensity air to dry the car.

Will post some pics tonight!

Last edited by KARR : 16th June 2017 at 09:46.
KARR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote