Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th August 2015, 03:11   #1
BHPian

Default A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs

A Dream is Born

It was the year 2001 and I had just passed out of school. One fine day I was getting bored and decided to watch the movie Gone in 60 seconds and saw this beautiful car named "Eleanor" and I was stumped. It was love at first sight. Ever since that fine day in 2001 I wanted to own a Ford Mustang. Finsihed graduation and post graduation but the dream was still embossed in back of my mind.

Touchdown in the Land of Dreams

Fast forward to 2011 and I landed in "the land of dreams" better known as United States of America, it was 9th of April 2011 that I came here. After getting my SSN and bank accounts for address proof I started working on getting a Driving License. Having never driven a car in India I had to take driving lessons here and finally on July 29 2011 I cleared my driving test in the first attempt.

Confused as hell about my first car

Now comes tough part, which car to buy. I had a lot of options:-
  • Nissan 350Z
  • Mazda RX8
  • Toyota MR2
  • Ford Mustang
  • Infiniti G35
  • Honda S200

I was confused as hell and decided to call a close friend of mine, he is a member here for quite some time now (navpreet318). We had a long discussion, he listened to me and this is how the conversation ended.

A Decision is Made

Navpreet:- Dude, all those cars you have listed are awesome. But, tell me one thing. Say you own all of those cars, you take all of them out on a drive each day. Now, there has to be a car which will make your head turn no matter what car you are driving, which car is that?
Me:- thinking...boom. Damn bro, you are right. The childhood dream is to own a Ford Mustang and if that baby passes by I will turn my head even if I am driving a Ford Mustang (I still do).

There was my answer, the confusion was all over. It had to be a Ford Mustang even if I had to wait 2-3 months to gather the cash.

The Search And Jackpot

Considering I didn't have too much cash, I had to go for a used car. The search for a Mustang was underway, I had talked to a few friends and they agreed to lend me some dollars (I call them doll hairs). The next few days were spent on craigslist searching for a clean title Mustang and eventually on August 14th 2011 I found one. It was from a dealer, but he was a small time dealer and was charging an extra $500 as dealer fees. It was a Sunday and the card had some work to be done, specifically on the left strut. We paid the dealer 500 advance and asked him the fix the naggings in the car.

A week later on August 20th this is what I drove home, the first car of my life and a childhood dream come true. It was an Automatic Ford Mustang 2006 v6 California Edition. The California Edition comes with Bullit wheels, fog lights and two 8 inch sub woofers on the door panels (one on each side). The bass was good enough, I say good enough because I compared it with the bass in navpreet318's old Santro (which at one time had 3 subs and 2 capacitors). The car had 92,000 miles on it but it still drove like a champ.

Here are the important specs of the pony:-
  • 4.0l engine
  • Horses - 210 @ 5250 RPM
  • Torque - 240 @ 3500 RPM
  • 6 cd changer
  • Rear Wheel Drive

The total price for the pony came out to $14,700 after including the insurance. An important point to note is that in US, insurance amount depends on your car, the area you live in and of course your driving experience and history in US. So if you buy a Toyota Corolla the insurance cost is less because there as less chances of you driving it at high speeds and getting into an accident. If you live in an area which is prone to car theft and vandalism insurance prices go up. As soon as you have an accident reported due to your fault the premium will go up the next time you renew.

Name:  295947_189333941133065_6173258_n.jpg
Views: 2935
Size:  80.0 KB

Name:  297418_189333221133137_1903943_n.jpg
Views: 2885
Size:  68.4 KB

I was neck deep in debts, but what mattered was I owned a Ford Mustang. The next few months were spent low profile, so as to pay off the debts.

The Racing Stripes

A muscle car without stripes is a total no no in my mind, getting stripes was the first thing I wanted to do to this beauty. As soon as I had some cash in hand I went for it. In addition to the stripes I also added matte black window louvers. The date was November 6th 2011.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-388089_223888981010894_106167348_n.jpg
A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-380524_223889071010885_589700741_n.jpg

A CAI aka Cold Air Intake and some Smoke

The quest for more horsepower is what keeps is going and the easiest way to add some is a Cold Air Intake. The week after getting the stripes I did a DIY and added a Cold Air Intake to the pony. Adding a CAI definitely increased the initial acceleration of the pony. You could feel the engine getting more air and burning more fuel in the process.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-311053_226853397381119_468494273_n.jpg

A few days later, I did another DIY and smoked the rear tail lights. Keep in mind as per the law the reverse lights have to be yellow hence they were not smoked.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-389957_227608753972250_1798674189_n.jpg

Here's a picture of the smoked tail lights taken by a friend of mine, who wanted to show off his photography skills and trust me I was impressed.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-383171_252635111469614_275349144_n.jpg

Road Trips

What came next was a few road trips to Orlando, St. Augestine, Daytona, Sanibel Island and a few other places in Florida. Never once did she ditch me or get stalled on the way. In Daytona a of Harley drivers complimented me for a nice looking car and they liked the color scheme.

She's Down

One fine day, on a beautiful sunny morning she refused to start. The battery was down, I got a jump start and got the battery changed for $110. Well, 3 days later she refused to start the again and had to be towed to a repair shop. She was diagnosed with an alternator failure. The alternator was changed and she was back on the road. The total cost was $250 including the labor. Keep in mind that the alternator on 2005-2007 Mustangs is prone to failure (something I read about later on).

Dual's
Men will be Men I decided it was time for her to go dual, picked up magnaflow american thunder exhausts and got them installed. The stock pipe was chopped off and a custom H pipe was made. The exhausts were welded to the end of the H pipe and she was roaring. By that time by perosnalized tag "MUNCHYZ" had also came in.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-422199_280572382009220_634382093_n.jpg

Here's a video of the dual exhuasts, enjoy the sound of a V6 with Dual Magnaflow American Thunder:-

Welcome to SSF

In the mean time I had also joined a local Mustang club (Stangs of South Florida - SSF) and I would go on drives with them. It was a fun group and we had lots of fun together. Now that the mustang was my dream car, to have so many mustangs around me I would take pictures of them while driving (only when the situation allowed). Most of the peeps on SSF had V8's and I was in the minority 1-2 who had a v6 but they liked me. On drives "my crazy six banger" was allowed to pass the V8's as they knew I was doing so to take pictures.

Here's are a few pictures of one of our drives to Palm Beach International Speedway for a Drag Racing Event. A side view mirror full of Mustangs, a buronout before the drag and a parking lot full of Mustangs.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-551200_392272534172537_663206690_n.jpg

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-480825_392285810837876_1869671769_n.jpg

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-557542_392285914171199_1517179181_n.jpg

More Road Trips

What followed was trips to Clearwater, Fort Myres, Naples, Tampa, St Pete and a few other places in Florida. The Mustang never gave up. She was always ready for the trip. Just regular service at every 3000 miles and she was up to the challenge whenever wanted.

Here are a few more pictures of her from one of our road trips of December 2012.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-556323_444358018963988_900054447_n.jpg

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-563822_444358712297252_1508464538_n.jpg

More SSF

The drives with the SSF team continued and we had a nice group going out on weekend drives. The best part was other drivers on the road giving way to the ponies when they saw there rear view mirrors full of mustangs. Add to that kids in cars were clicking pictures while we flew by which made me feel like a hero of some sorts, only to realize it ain't me, it's the car.

Here's a video from one our drives. Enjoy the sound of some V8 engines and excuse the Dodge Charger (he was a member of the group and got his other car that day).

Here are 2 more clicks from a drive to Port Saint Lucie on June 30th 2013.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-1003100_530489670350822_495262431_n.jpg
A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-1045140_530497007016755_1795130687_n.jpg

Back to India
Eventually on August 10th 2013 I came back to India and had to part ways with my girlfriend of almost 2 years. The Ford Mustang was sold a friend.

Here's my favorite pic of her.
A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-img_0431.jpg

The Mustang Experience

During my 2 year stay in US I ended up driving a lot of cars other than the pony:-
  • Chevy Tahoe
  • Toyota Corolla
  • BMW Z4 -my roommate owned it and I used to drive it a lot
  • 2013 Ford Mustang V6
  • Mazda 3
  • Mazda RX8
  • Nissan Altima

But trust me, the feel which you get when you drive a 2005-2009 Mustang is unbeatable. You can literally feel the feedback from the road via the tyres to the steering wheel. That is something which you do not get on other cars (including the BMW Z4). The Z4 to me feels like a toy, high maneuverability and awesome acceleration. Why a toy, well because the steering wheel is too light for my taste, felt like I was playing a game with a steering wheel on my PS3.

The 2013 Ford Mustang V6 was fund to drive as well but they had refined the engine to get more mileage.I drove one for around 100 miles on our trip to California and the initial torque was missing and so was the feedback from the road to the steering wheel.

The Mazda RX8 is a sleek little car but feels much like the Z4 when it comes to driving experience.

Mustang Likes

Well it was my dream car so I can go gaga all day long about what I like about it but here's a small list:-
  • the looks, one of the best looking muscle cars
  • the torque
  • parts availability
  • it's a head turner wherever you go
  • the modding bandwidth is unlimited

The driving experience is awesome, press the gas pedal lightly and she will move ahead elegantly, press it a little harder and she will let you know that the beast is ready to rock and roll. Considering it's a RWD, you can fee the power coming from the back of the car and pushing you forward. Cruising at speeds of 75mph is not a problem at all. Just to let you guys know I have maxed out the V6 on a couple of occasions (when the situations permitted) and trust me it was fun.

Mustang Dislikes

This is where it gets difficult, trying to find flaws in something you love.
  • The pillar on the driver side obstructs the view when taking turns while waiting at a red light.
  • It's a cop magnet, adding stripes didn't help.
  • high insurance cost.
  • At red lights people expect you to race especially Camaro's and Chargers (Muscle car rivalry effect).

A piece of advice

The rear seats on a Mustang are not comfortable, you can squeeze in but the leg room is not enough to be comfortable for long drives. If you deiced to buy a Mustang just think of it as a 2 seater car and you will be happy with your decision. A lot of peeps in US end up selling a Mustang once they have a family.

Oh, how I missed a Ford Mustang for almost 2 years. Hope you guys get the hint.

Till then Chao, and if someone can bring with them Team-Bhp stickers to US and mail them to me so that I can put them on my new ride.

Last edited by munchy_cool : 31st August 2015 at 18:24.
munchy_cool is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 03:14   #2
BHPian

Default re: A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs

A Dream Kept Alive

While I was in India from August 2013 to July 2015 I found myself looking at old pictures of my pony. I used to drive a Duke 200 while in India and trust me it is the best bike I have driven. I have driven the retro Pulsar 180, Retro CBZ (of navpreet318), Retro Pulsar 150 and the retro Karizma. Nothing beats the D200. But, I would always find myself looking for news of Mustang launch in India, even though I knew I would not be able to afford a Mustang in India.

A Dream is Re-born

A day at work, and I am told I need to go to US the same night. Yeps, same night. I had no other option but to leave India and fly to US. I hope you know how it works in companies in India, you need to be flexible to travel if you have a visa whether you like it or not. So, I had to come to US without saying a good bye to my family and friends, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Touchdown Again

4th of July 2015 was when I landed in US again. Yes, they had fireworks celebrating my arrival, just kidding. It was Independence Day in US hence the had fireworks.

The 2006 V6 (in the first post) which I had sold off to my friend was no longer with him. He had sold it two weeks ago as it had started misfiring and 2 out of the 6 cylinders had stopped working due to irregular maintenance. It was basically as V6 and hence he sold it off and got a California Edition 2007 V6 convertible.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-11390337_870042489710075_5265081199262459998_n.jpg

Confused?

Confused? Not this time, I knew which car I wanted to buy. It had to be a 2005-2009 Ford Mustang GT. Yeps, this time around I wanted more power and wanted to own a GT.

Why a 2005-2009?

Personally here is what I do not like about the 2010-2014 Mustangs:-
  • the looks, too many curves for my taste
  • Engine is too refined, the initial torque is missing
  • the 2010 Mustangs have the same engine as the 2005-2009. Only the looks have been changed.

Here's the problem with buying a 2015:-
  • Out of budget on both the V6 and GT
  • cannot do hardware mods as that would void the warranty even if I get a used one

First Things First
With priorities clear that I wanted a Ford Mustang first thing was to get my Driving License renewed, got an appointment for July 23rd 2015. In the meantime I found myself spending hours on craigslist, autotrader and cargurus looking for a used 2005-2009 Ford Mustang GT. It had to be an automatic because till date I have never driven a stick shift for longer distance. Even when I was in India I just drove my Dad's Alto and trust me I was not comfortable driving a stick shift.

Finally on July 23rd I got my driving license renewed and the search for a Mustang got even more frantic.

The Mods I Want

You know how men are, even before I got a car I had a list of things I wanted to do with my Mustang GT.
  • A Cold Air Intake
  • Louder Exhausts
  • Window Louvers
  • Rear Window Louver
  • Racing Stripes
  • Smoked Tail Lights

Of course the above mods would take some time depending on the cost of the car.

Elvis is In the Building

Friday - 24th July 2015
I am work and as you can guess searching for a Ford Mustang.I come across this car posted by a dealer. A 2005 Ford Mustang GT with 89,000 miles on it, clean title, automatic. The color was not what i was looking for, I wanted a red, black or white but this one was different. Not too loud and neither to dull for my taste, I liked the color.

Give a call to the dealer and ask him if the car is still available. He says yes it is.

Saturday - 25th July 2015

The dealer opens at 9am. I wake up at 8am and wake up my friend and tell him we need to go look at a Mustang GT. He's excited and so am I, we drive 20 miles in his Mustang convertible and reach the dealer's place at around 10am.

We meet the sales guy called Chris and without wasting any time take here for a spin.I did not drive because I had not driven a Mustang for around 2 years. My friend who has been driving a Mustang V6 for more than 2 years now was the one who took the test drive. He was previously driving my V6 and then his own V6 convertible.

After taking her for a spin, he comes out of the car and is all smiles. He winks at me which is a sign that he is impressed. Here's the conversation :-

Me:- Yo, dude how is she?
He:- Smiles again. You know what I am buying this one and you can keep my V6.
Me:-Let's take the baby home and then we can decide who drives it more.

The decision was made, we were buying her. Now to settle down on a price. The dealer wanted $13,000 out of the door, we offered $11,500 cash and after some 20-30 minutes of discussion he agreed.

Drove to the bank, got a cashiers cheque for 11 grand and handed it over to him. Now begins the paperwork and searching for a good insurance quote. You cannot drive a car out of the dealership unless you have insurance. Considering it was a GT the insurance price was expected to be high. It was around a 1000 dollars. Yes, I was about to go bankrupt, spent all my savings for the last 4 years on the car.

We ended up paying 800 dollars more for the car than what KBB suggested but I had my reasons for that.
  • I didn't have the patience to keep on searching for a good car
  • Clean Title
  • Good enough dealer
  • she sounded awesome and is loud
  • had a few of the mods I wanted already done and some extras as well

So after being at the dealership for 4 hours we drove out in a 2005 Ford Mustang GT.

Trust me when I say, I could feel the difference between a V6 and a V8 when I first drove her. I knew why in the past people said "It's not a Ford Mustang if it's a V6".

Ford Mustang 2005 GT Specs

4.6L 3V SOHC V-8 300hp
Displacement (cc): 4606
Bore and stroke (mm): 90.2 x 90.0
Compression ratio: 9.8:1
Max. Torque: 320 lb/ft at 4,500 rpm
Redline: 6,250 rpm
Fuel Capacity (gallons): 16.6
Oil Capacity (quarts): 6.0

Here's the list of mods already done on her:-

I shall let the pictures do the talking for you peeps to enjoy.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-11703107_910627425670376_8690234300694009565_n.jpg
A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-11012033_910627419003710_4796968885748787707_n.jpg
A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-munchyimg_20150831_093504.jpg
A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-munchyimg_20150831_093543.jpg
A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-munchyimg_20150831_093622.jpg
A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-munchyimg_20150831_093825.jpg

Here's what was left to do :-
  • Smoked Tail Lights
  • Black Racing Stripes - will be done soon, once I get some dollars

Smoked Tail Lights - DIY weekend 28-29th August 2015
The tail lights were smoked this weekend after working on them for 2 days. The GT logo has been removed as I have some other plans for that which is also a work in progress and will be done soon.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-munchyimg_20150831_093418.jpg

Last edited by munchy_cool : 31st August 2015 at 20:37.
munchy_cool is offline   (17) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 09:29   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 09:40   #4
BHPian

Awesome Post munchy_cool!

This literally brings back memories of the time I had a rental Mustang for 2 whole weeks many years back. It is a brilliant car and I wish you the very best and happy mile munching with the beast. I loved the feeling and the sound when I floored the accelerator while entering a ramp to the expressway.

PS: The photos look really cool!
nivatakavacha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 09:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
I loved the feeling and the sound when I floored the accelerator while entering a ramp to the expressway.

PS: The photos look really cool!
The ramps are the only place where you can floor it safely because the chances of over speeding are less as you are about to join the expressway
munchy_cool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 10:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Munchy Baba!! Super!!

Now thats a Mustang! Don't do anything more to it in terms of mods! Keep it just the way as it is. Use the money to buy Gas and tires! Drive a lot!

And for God's sake, take it to a drag strip! And do some burnouts and donuts!
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 13:41   #7
BHPian

A great thread, munchy_cool. I liked the way it was put together, felt like reading a story.

Drive it hard but sanely. No doubt Mustangs (and other American muscle cars) have a huge potential and support for customization. One question - How did you smoke the taillamps on this one? Is it with paint or some film? I feel that the car looks much better in the 2nd picture of the GT (with stock taillamps).

Waiting to see pictures and videos of future modifications!
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 17:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
One question - How did you smoke the taillamps on this one? Is it with paint or some film? I feel that the car looks much better in the 2nd picture of the GT (with stock taillamps).

Waiting to see pictures and videos of future modifications!

Smoking the tail lights was a 2 day process. Using a 2000 grit sandpaper we first wet sand them to remove the shine and make a base for the spray paint to stick to. I then used VHT Night shades (which ensure proper reflection of light in the night). 4-5 coats of Night Shades followed by 2 coats of clear.

I might have to agree with you that stock red tai lights look better with this color. Let me use them smoked for time and maybe later I can take off the black shade using Goof Off.
munchy_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 18:47   #9
BHPian

Mind blowing stuff right there, buddy. Learnt a lot of new things about this nasty American by just reading your post. Very well written.

East Coast, I'm on my way!
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 18:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Mind blowing stuff right there, buddy. Learnt a lot of new things about this nasty American by just reading your post. Very well written.

East Coast, I'm on my way!
Trust me bro, if you want to have some driving fun with groups in US you need to have a muscle car. Mustang, Camaro, Charger whatever floats your boat.

Any time you are in Florida let me know
munchy_cool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 21:21   #11
BHPian

A quick update, the GT logo on the back has been removed and replaced with a pony.

Also, got my personalized plate.

A childhood dream fulfilled - The story of two Ford Mustangs-13151818_1069024439830673_1408403531668954591_n.jpg

Two 8 inch subs in a T-Line box have been added to the trunk.

Here are a few videos for those interested.

Old 9th February 2017, 21:45   #12
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Man! There are only limited number of times I regret being born in India and this probably comes at the top of that list. You can get a well maintained Ford Mustang GT for 8-10lakhs in USA whereas in India you can only dream of Accords and Superbs for that price band. Even after 2-3 years, if one dreams of buying an used Mustang in India, he will have to pay upwards of 50 lakhs :O

PS- Many Congratulations on the car Sir, it looks in a really good shape
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 22:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
Man! There are only limited number of times I regret being born in India and this probably comes at the top of that list. You can get a well maintained Ford Mustang GT for 8-10lakhs in USA whereas in India you can only dream of Accords and Superbs for that price band. Even after 2-3 years, if one dreams of buying an used Mustang in India, he will have to pay upwards of 50 lakhs :O

PS- Many Congratulations on the car Sir, it looks in a really good shape
If I end up staying in US it would be because of the Mustang. And yeah, I do agree with you on the price of a used Mustang but remember it was just launched in India, 50 years after it's birth.

Somehow I feel, an Indian car manufacturer should try making a Muscle car. Pretty sure an affordable one will sell like hot cakes.

As for the car being in good shape, I take good care of her. All parts are changed as per the service manual (if not earlier), engine oil changes on time etc.
Old 9th February 2017, 22:47   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
Somehow I feel, an Indian car manufacturer should try making a Muscle car. Pretty sure an affordable one will sell like hot cakes.
In a country where Polo 1.8 sells for 25.99L Ex-showroom, I wonder what can we expect for a proper muscle car
namanchaudhary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 02:39   #15

@munchy: I am so jealous right now . You made the right choice going for the GT. There is no better sound than the rustic V8 rumble. I see FL plates, may I ask which part of Florida are you located at? I am located up North in Tallahassee.
rachitagarwal is offline   Reply With Quote