Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th November 2015, 10:06   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Second Service @ 5000km

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
The spoiler does look good and adds a wee bit sportiness to the stance of S Cross. 5300/- seems be a little on the higher side, but MGA stuff is known to be a little expensive compared to 3rd party parts

P.S.: Isn't the spoiler covering the stop light at the top of the rear windshield? From the last picture it does look like that.
At Rs 5300 it is a bit on the expensive side. The stop light is not covered infront. Visibility of stop light might be affected from the sides. When viewed from behind it looks good and feels that it is on the spoiler.
sandygordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 12:54   #107
BHPian

Default Re: My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha

Dear Sandy,
My complements for a well written ownership report!
I request some feedback here please.
Would you describe the 1.3 as sluggish, both in city and on highways?
If we travel 5 with luggage, would I be like "come on, get on with it, willya"?
How would you describe the pulling power on hill drives?

Last edited by rednikhil : 22nd November 2015 at 12:58.
rednikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:33   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Dear Sandy,
I'll chime in a bit here.

I have traveled with 4 adults, 1 child and a boot full of luggage on highways. It's not a scorcher of a performer, but it won't disappoint you when the engine is in the turbo zone. I'd say highway performance is good but don't expect very spirited performance. There is a very weak spot where it will make you say "Get on with it, willya" and that is when you attempt to close a tight gap in an overtaking maneuver. I have discussed the performance in as much detail as I have observed in my ownership

Hope this helps.
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 23:14   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Dear Sandy,
Thank you for the compliment
1.3 is sluggish at lower revs
But drivability in the city is quite good. Wont recommend it for pure highway runs with 5 on board and tight overtakes. ( I use it on Kerala highwas which are comparable to rest of india city roads)

Free revving engine is a delight. Does not have that strained feel of the Duster mill. 5 with luggage will be comfortable, comparable to an ertiga. I wont recommend it if you are looking for the 'come on, get on with it attitude.'

Creta will be a better option for highways with 4 people and luggage for sheer performance albeit with lesser confidence considering the 'best' hyundai steering till date.

But the confidence to do triple digit speeds will be much higher when you drive the s cross compared to a wallowy creta or a strained duster.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 00:00   #110
BHPian

Default My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
with the Audi A4

Attachment 1417997

In between a hatch and an SUV. Is not it what it is?

Attachment 1417998
Firstly congratulations for your purchase. Though I'm a bit late but it's never too late to make one realise what a good choice he/she has. The alloys are drool worthy. The whole character of the car is redefined with them.

I have been following scross ownership threads off late. While I came across this comparison with Audi A4, the angle of the photo makes scross look like a monster with mean eyes comparatively. Plus the colour is adding the extra fire. Too good.
Drive safe.

Last edited by chintu_91 : 25th November 2015 at 00:07.
chintu_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 22:53   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Free revving engine is a delight.
I think you will change your opinion of free revving after a remap. It has been my experience (and not being an expert) that post 3000 RPM, the power output from engine was almost absent. Personally, I think (and feel) that the remap has made the car free revving now till the redline and a different delight altogether.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 11:20   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Personally, I think (and feel) that the remap has made the car free revving now till the redline and a different delight altogether.
Could you share more details about your remap? How has performance improved on highways/city drives
BaluJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 12:47   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaluJ View Post
Could you share more details about your remap? How has performance improved on highways/city drives
I have posted the full experience and details on my ownership report.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 19:48   #114

Hats off to your comprehensive and detailed review. Every minor aspect of the car has been explored in your review. I was in quite the confusion as to an upgrade to my Honda City. Finally i am proud to be an owner of a brown Hippo, 1.3 Zeta to be exact.
Been scouting for some good upholstery for her for a week. Got estimates from Autotree and Tyrex in Cochin. Would you suggest a good dealer?
vteccross is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 11:51   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteccross View Post
Hats off to your comprehensive and detailed review. Every minor aspect of the car has been explored in your review. I was in quite the confusion as to an upgrade to my Honda City. Finally i am proud to be an owner of a brown Hippo, 1.3 Zeta to be exact.
Been scouting for some good upholstery for her for a week. Got estimates from Autotree and Tyrex in Cochin. Would you suggest a good dealer?
Thank you
I have no experience in the places you mentioned. I did my Dzire work at a place near pettah in thripunithura. It is a small shop call Right fit. They do very good work. They even have a website showing their work. I was impressed with their work they did in my Dzire. (http://www.rightfitcarseatcovers.com/)

Last edited by sandygordon : 8th December 2015 at 11:53.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 19:50   #116

Thanks for your reply.
So sorry to hear about the loss with your hippo.
Mine is going strong and the experience is growing on me every single time i take the wheel.
Been averaging 17 kmpl with ac on in the city consistently and mines only done 800 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-hippo.jpg  

vteccross is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:15   #117
BHPian

Great to see your hippo there Mr Vte c ross.

Seems like my hippo is getting lonely at parking lots. Very hardly do I see other S crosses in cochin.

Anyways hippo is going strong post 8500km. I get around 17kmpl and there are no complaints yet except for the AVN. I will seriously be considering a Pioneer AVN unit with soundstage in there sometime next year. I hardly use cruise control.

The brown shade seems to be bit of a pain to maintain, especially with some birds finding the brown shade more tempting to poop on..

Here are the pictures.
With the 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllll new' Ecosport
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-ecosport-1.jpg

With the Duster AWD
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-duster.jpg
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-duster-2.jpg
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 09:48   #118
BHPian

Dear Sandygordon
Currently I have decided to put 225/55 R16 yoko db for my newly booked 1.6 Alpha next week. I am putting 16" MOMO Next Alloys with Offset 40. I just wanted to ask you due to the same upsize you have done for your ride whether the tyres protrude outside the fender line or is it well within fender with enough clearance. What is the offset of your alloys? Below is the screenshot of the upsize calculator suggestion for fender clearance which cautions about fender clearance. This is because of the change in offset between stock and new alloy else clearance worry would not have been topic. What is the offset of your alloys and is there any issues tyre touching the fender when the car is fully loaded. It would be great if you can post a close shot of your car showing fender clearance and also one close rear shot to see whether the tyres protrude outside fender line? Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-1451189603926.jpg  

TorqueManR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 23:41   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueManR View Post
Dear Sandygordon
Currently I have decided to put 225/55 R16 yoko db for my newly booked 1.6 Alpha next week. I am putting 16" MOMO Next Alloys with Offset 40. I just wanted to ask you due to the same upsize you have done for your ride whether the tyres protrude outside the fender line or is it well within fender with enough clearance. What is the offset of your alloys? Below is the screenshot of the upsize calculator suggestion for fender clearance which cautions about fender clearance. This is because of the change in offset between stock and new alloy else clearance worry would not have been topic. What is the offset of your alloys and is there any issues tyre touching the fender when the car is fully loaded. It would be great if you can post a close shot of your car showing fender clearance and also one close rear shot to see whether the tyres protrude outside fender line? Thanks in advance!!
Congratulations on the 1.6 alpha
I was busy today,could not take shots as requested as it was already dark.I am attaching some pics which I had taken last month using my mobile cam. Please excuse the poor quality. I hope these pictures will be of some help. Shall take some more and upload tommorrow or the day after. I do not know the offset of my alloys.

My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-tyre-1.jpg
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-scross-2.jpg
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-tyre-3.jpg
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-tyre-4.jpg
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-tyre-5.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-tyre-6.jpg  

Last edited by sandygordon : 28th December 2015 at 23:58.
sandygordon is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 13:30   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the 1.6 alpha
I was busy today,could not take shots as requested as it was already dark.I am attaching some pics which I had taken last month using my mobile cam. Please excuse the poor quality. I hope these pictures will be of some help. Shall take some more and upload tommorrow or the day after. I do not know the offset of my alloys.
Thanks Sandy. Would wait for your pictures showing the close up of fender line and rear. My car delivery on Friday. Clap for the stance of the car due to wider tyres.
TorqueManR is offline   Reply With Quote