Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 30th October 2015, 13:24   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Preview: Ford Endeavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
.. I honestly do not see any purpose for a MT in a car this big. Self driving owners would not ask for one. Those who want some control in shifting, most modern A/T gearboxes have some tiptronic function.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
.. I fully agree. I don't know why some people just advocate MT gearbox on every car that comes with AT. This car is no high-revving compact petrol sports car with light clutch and short-throw gearbox that you would love changing gears. This is a diesel behemoth with a narrow power-band, hard clutch (if not hard now, it will soon be after some months) and probably long throws. And then a lazy-revving monster of a diesel engine. How much fun will it be changing gears on this set-up? Just stick in Drive and let the AT gearbox do the rest. Torque Converter AT gearboxes fare better on gradients than their MT variants. I have driven Scorpio AT up steep gradients and it just crawls up effortlessly, better than an MT Scorpio. Those skeptical should try it out and be pleasantly surprised. And then there is no fear of letting out clutch more than necessary and stalling engine.
+1

I am seriously considering the 4x4 AT variant. This will be my everywhere drive, highway + city + Jeep tower. Considering that this vehicle will see majority of the "time" being stuck in traffic, the advantage of an AT far outweighs the charm of a MT, especially on a behemoth such as this.

Any info on launch date yet?
manveet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 01:47   #152
BHPian

It was surprising to find Ford is pitching the Everest aka Ford Endeavour against the Toyota Prado in Australian market both in terms of price and equipment levels.
This puts it in a unique premium position. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 07:53   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti View Post
I also checked out a off-road video shot in South Africa. And I am completely sold. Now just waiting for the price.
The video says 100,000 RAND more than top-of-the-range Fortuner. So, that would mean Rs 5 lacs more ex-showroom.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th November 2015 at 14:09. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
Old 5th November 2015, 13:38   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

The initial reviews look great. If ford doesn't strip it down for the India launch, I think we can say that Ford has finally made a worthy competitor to the Toyota Fortuner.

They now need to work on improving their after sales and spares availability further.
Old 5th November 2015, 14:06   #155
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvara View Post
S2 - Great review. Hats off!!

I am sorry for being.

Sir, with all due respect, the majority in this forum would love to get their hands on a 4 x 4 Manual as opposed to the general public who would not be bothered. I for one would love the 4 x 4 Manual any day just for the pleasure of shifting gears no matter how long / short the throws were or how big the car was.

No offense here but I believe most of us on this forum would agree on this.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by saviouravenger View Post
Agreed. MT is very important to me. And for some reason the idea of owning a AT 4 x 4 is not very appealing. But this SUV with its 'retro' design, if offered in a 3.2L MT 4 x 4 Titanium+ variant, will be drool worthy!
Nope MT serves no practical purpose in a vehicle of this size and mass, it is not a vehicle where one requires supper fast gear changes or which is going to accelerate like a BMW 3 series or be taken around corners at high speed. Only time you would want MT would be while doing very serious off road drives to have a certain amount of added control. (Which to some extent would be present even in AT mode.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
+1

+1

I am seriously considering the 4x4 AT variant. This will be my everywhere drive, highway + city + Jeep tower. Considering that this vehicle will see majority of the "time" being stuck in traffic, the advantage of an AT far outweighs the charm of a MT, especially on a behemoth such as this.

Any info on launch date yet?
Yep AT makes the most sense in a vehicle of this size and inertia.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 15:49   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvara View Post
S2 - Great review. Hats off!!

I am sorry for being.

Sir, with all due respect, the majority in this forum would love to get their hands on a 4 x 4 Manual as opposed to the general public who would not be bothered. I for one would love the 4 x 4 Manual any day just for the pleasure of shifting gears no matter how long / short the throws were or how big the car was.

No offense here but I believe most of us on this forum would agree on this.

Cheers
But you can always shift the gear using tiptronic right? Only thing you would probably miss is the clutch. But again since there is no clutch, you can shift faster even in the manual mode.
I understand manual shift are fun but with current gen Auto transmission you can have best of both.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 20:32   #157
BHPian

Any idea of the launch date as of now?
Old 11th November 2015, 13:09   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Any idea of the launch date as of now?

Expected to be launched after the unveiling at Delhi auto expo ( 5th to 9th February2016).
Eagerly waiting for the official price release.
I hope Ford does not get too greedy and go the Hyundai way (creta) in terms of pricing.
I would buy the 2.2 AT if priced in the 22-25 lakh range.
I hope the Bright red colour will be available in India. Looks really good on the car.
Old 11th November 2015, 14:19   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJ View Post
Expected to be launched after the unveiling at Delhi auto expo ( 5th to 9th February2016).
Eagerly waiting for the official price release.
I hope Ford does not get too greedy and go the Hyundai way (creta) in terms of pricing.
I would buy the 2.2 AT if priced in the 22-25 lakh range.
I hope the Bright red colour will be available in India. Looks really good on the car.
A few months back, Ford's head of India operations said that people will start to have a feel of the car by year end and the actual launch will happen early next year. So does that not mean that they will launch it earlier than Feb.

I contacted the sales executive but he didn't have any idea about launch dates. I told him to inform me as soon as the booking starts as I'm interested.

I have made up my mind to go for a White 3.2L 4x4 Automatic Titanium model even if it's priced a little higher than 30L.

Any idea about how long before the launch will they start receiving advance booking?
Old 12th November 2015, 00:11   #160
BHPian

I sincerely thought the launch would be around Diwali. But disappointed.

Checked with the ford dealer at hyd, the exec says "sir, yes, we know its coming but unfortunately not in this month" He also added that the dealers are being prepped for the launch, service etc. but vehicles won't be delivered before March 2016. Company lease guy however assures me that launch is before November 2015 end.

On another side, a friend from bangalore says the dealer might start taking bookings from November 2015 but no confirmation either. One of the situations in life where i wish things could happen the way i want
Old 14th November 2015, 22:56   #161
BHPian

I was thinking of test driving one of these sooner rather than later - especially as the Jeep Grand Cherokee has failed to make its appearance as well.

Was in contact with top-level Chrysler execs, but there were only promises to release the Grand Cherokee - nothing so far. Also the price looks to be approximately 60 lakhs plus.

In the meantime booked and put the down-payment on a Fortuner 4x4 AT, but after inspecting the (lack of) rear bumper where only a bumper cover and the spare tire sit, I decided not to go through with the delivery.

Why does it take so long for any decent and affordable vehicles to be put on sale?
Old 15th November 2015, 18:57   #162
BHPian

Hi Guys,
What are the predictions so far as the equipment levels are concerned. Will we get all the bells and whistles as available in the review cars or India spec cars will be underequipped.
Neither fortuner nor santa fe come with sunroofs. So can we expect panoramic sunroofs on the 2016 endeavour.
What other equipment is expected to be removed to keep costs low. As is evident from the models offered by various manufacturers we cannot expect better equipment than other Asian countries.
so the guessing is restricted only to what we might not get and after that the price justification can be discussed.
Old 15th November 2015, 20:30   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hi Guys,
What are the predictions so far as the equipment levels are concerned. Will we get all the bells and whistles as available in the review cars or India spec cars will be underequipped.
Neither fortuner nor santa fe come with sunroofs. So can we expect panoramic sunroofs on the 2016 endeavour.
What other equipment is expected to be removed to keep costs low. As is evident from the models offered by various manufacturers we cannot expect better equipment than other Asian countries.
so the guessing is restricted only to what we might not get and after that the price justification can be discussed.
If history is any indication, most of the vehicles will be stripped down to provide only the features which will be able to raise revenue for that particular model.

If the panoramic sunroof is indeed offered, I am sure most of us would be happy, but if the Indian market as a whole is not willing to pay for it, then I doubt that they will configure local vehicles with them here.

I personally would not wish to have a panoramic sunroof for a car here - if I was abroad and would do sightseeing on vacations, I would appreciate one.

I would prefer to have my car as cool inside (temperature-wise) as possible!
Old 16th November 2015, 01:01   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
I personally would not wish to have a panoramic sunroof for a car here - if I was abroad and would do sightseeing on vacations, I would appreciate one.

I would prefer to have my car as cool inside (temperature-wise) as possible!
Besides what you mentioned, isn't sun-roof a problem area in following cases?

(1) Frontal hit accidents where something could fly-out/in if the same is open?

(2) How secure is it during a roll-over type accident -- glass (however toughened it may be) compared to sheet metal, specially when the same is open.

(3) Another unauthorized entry point to vehicle?

IMHO, it's just a waste of money. Manufacturers should have their priorities right, and add EBD/TCS rather than providing sun-roof. For example, EBD in Cruze would have been of far greater value than sun-roof.
rusticnomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 22:18   #165
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on the release dates? Seems all things are in order expect the launch.
Closed Thread