Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 15th January 2016, 18:39   #451
BANNED

Default re: Preview: Ford Endeavour

^Ford is looking for numbers rather than beating prado, which itself isn't doing even average numbers in Indian market now. So i don't think so they should be doing that.

One thing i want to emphasise here is, In the Australian market the high end 3.2 Variant costs around 78000 AUD. That is roughly around 35-36 lakhs. How come it is going to be any cheaper in India?

Last edited by ravelsnip@gmail : 15th January 2016 at 18:40.
Old 15th January 2016, 19:39   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

I went to Chandigarh dealership to have a look a while back , this is no way competitor to LC Prado. I have not heard Diesel Prado but this Ford makes too much of sound at idle for sure ,even higher than Fortuner or at-least it appears to be louder and different.
Rear Seat leg room and positioning looks bad then existing Fortuner , not only we sit lower - resulting in angled knee posture but also headroom is far less . Can comment on ride handling once I drive which officially will begin from 21st. Going by initial impressions, FORD can enjoy till new Fortuner comes, they will have to undercut or price similar to Fortuner in longer run . I am not sure if I will continue my booking or not.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th January 2016 at 19:41.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 20:30   #453
BHPian

Saw this test unit parked early this morning - not very impressive.

The Fortuner sits higher.

However, all safety features blows the (current) Fortuner out of the water, including disk brakes all around.

I will shortly post photographs of the steel framing in the rear behind the bumper which would (hopefully) protect against rear impacts - unlike the Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I went to Chandigarh dealership to have a look a while back , this is no way competitor to LC Prado. I have not heard Diesel Prado but this Ford makes too much of sound at idle for sure ,even higher than Fortuner or at-least it appears to be louder and different.
Rear Seat leg room and positioning looks bad then existing Fortuner , not only we sit lower - resulting in angled knee posture but also headroom is far less . Can comment on ride handling once I drive which officially will begin from 21st. Going by initial impressions, FORD can enjoy till new Fortuner comes, they will have to undercut or price similar to Fortuner in longer run . I am not sure if I will continue my booking or not.
Yes, agreed on this. Only benefits are safety features and terrain management system - space appears very limited here...
Attached Thumbnails
Preview: Ford Endeavour-newendeavour15jan2016.jpg  

Preview: Ford Endeavour-newendeavourrear-15jan2016.jpg  

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 15th January 2016 at 20:46.
SuperFlyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 20:43   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank0782 View Post
State troopers use Dodge Charger while local sheriffs use a mix of Ford Crown Victoria (Old) and Chargers (new).
Not in NJ - we *used* Crown Vics almost exclusively - and (some) still do!
Old 16th January 2016, 01:13   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelsnip@gmail View Post
One thing i want to emphasise here is, In the Australian market the high end 3.2 Variant costs around 78000 AUD. That is roughly around 35-36 lakhs. How come it is going to be any cheaper in India?
Most of the premium features is missing on Indian 3.2 Variant compared to Australian model, so it has to be cheaper here.
Old 16th January 2016, 11:37   #456
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Most of the premium features is missing on Indian 3.2 Variant compared to Australian model, so it has to be cheaper here.
Like what kind of features? Can you elaborate on how they are tagged "premium"
Old 16th January 2016, 11:43   #457
BHPian

Quote:
LDW, powered seat adjustment are a couple which strike to me in the first go. There would surely be more.

I hope the wing mirrors are auto foldable ones though and Ford doesn't skimp on that aspect at least in order to keep the cost low
Old 16th January 2016, 11:53   #458
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
LDW, powered seat adjustment are a couple which strike to me in the first go. There would surely be more.

I hope the wing mirrors are auto foldable ones though and Ford doesn't skimp on that aspect at least in order to keep the cost low
Well there is 8 way power adjustment for the driver seat, it also comes with SEMI-auto parallel parking. Only the lane departure system is not there in india. Coz lol we know there aren't following any lane system here. The wing mirrors are power foldable, not auto close when u shut down the engine. I don't see any premium features missing in indian variant. That is why im skeptical it would cost upwards of 36 lakhs.
Old 16th January 2016, 13:49   #459
BHPian

Yet again the weekend bug bit me, and I trudged my way to the neighbourhood Ford showroom to have a quick look at the Endeavour. Here are some of my modest takeaways;

a. Anyone looking for a car in this segment should just quietly go in the showroom with a cheque book. This is indeed a superb offering from the Blue Oval.

b. The car standing next to it was an EcoSport. Such a travesty, since the EcoSport made its name for being the "butch hatchback", "hatchback on stilts" etc. It was easily dwarfed by the behemoth.

c. The new Endy has corrected the biggest grouse of the erstwhile car, the back seat floor isn't as high. Make no mistake, due to shifting of the tyres under the rear, the floor is still considerably high.

d. Someone complained of being fleeced off in comparison to the Endevour rolled out outside India. Wait till you see the feature differences between the Trend and the Titanium versions. The Trend version is bereft of quite a few swanky little feature set that includes HID with Jet spray, Panoramic sunroof, puddle lamps etc.

e. On the flip side, the good news is the 3.2 Titanium version is L-O-A-D-E-D. But I am sceptical of it's drivability and frugality in our road conditions.

f. The car in long - check. The car is wide - check. But it isn't too tall. It will help in maintaining its ride quality, but what it does is leave only 3-4 fingers above my head ( ref: I am 182 cms)

g. The automatic tailgate and the one-button operation of the third row seat is superbly nifty. In fact if the third row whilst folding down is met with an obstacle, it promptly stops and fold back right up! (I did it twice to just have fun with it)

h. I found the touchscreen quite laggy, maybe I wasn't adept at poking at it very well. But I would have expected a better response. On the plus side, hidden away under the front console are 2 USB ports, which will be super helpful. We have aux-in and SD card port for good measure too.

i. The tiptronic gearbox thankfully doesn't have the toggle to change gears ala the Figo twins. Thankfully. But the gate is reverse, as in you'll have to move the lever towards you to shift up and away from you to shift down. Why the topsy turvy? I don't know.

j. The second row has fore and aft adjustment, and generous one at that. You can see a bit of the travel in the picture. However, the second row in, say a Safari Storme is easily better. Another grouse is that those headrests have only two positions, either they are completely retracted and poking away to glory at your nape, or they are right up alert. This is there in my Scorpio too. But I wouldn't pay triple of that for nothing!

Ford has managed to space out its variants commendably. One can choose a manual transmission in the 2.2 Trend avatar, and in both 4x2 and 4x4 versions. However the Titanium versions come in Automatic only. Fret not, they too can be coupled with 4x2 and 4x4. If I was going for one, it would be the 2.2 Titanium (either 4x2 or 4x4, depending on my requirements)

Oh. The launch is on 23rd of this month. Cheers!

(Apologies for the problem with the pictures. They just refuse to upload using the T-BHP app.)
Attached Thumbnails
Preview: Ford Endeavour-image.jpeg  

Preview: Ford Endeavour-image.png  

Last edited by methecupid : 16th January 2016 at 13:56.
methecupid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 15:12   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Yet again the weekend bug bit me, and I trudged my way to the neighbourhood Ford showroom to have a quick look at the Endeavour.
Which dealer in particular?

I'm 188 cms tall - borderline?

Could you see over the hood to the floor below as in a Safari? Fortuner blocks most of your view in front...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 16th January 2016 at 15:14.
Old 16th January 2016, 19:50   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yet again the weekend bug bit me, and I trudged my way to the neighbourhood Ford showroom to have a quick look at the Endeavour.
Hey, I would love to go down and have a look as well, Which dealer did you visit?
Old 17th January 2016, 09:06   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Ford has managed to space out its variants commendably. One can choose a manual transmission in the 2.2 Trend avatar, and in both 4x2 and 4x4 versions. However the Titanium versions come in Automatic only. Fret not, they too can be coupled with 4x2 and 4x4. If I was going for one, it would be the 2.2 Titanium (either 4x2 or 4x4, depending on my requirements)
Thanks for the detailed write up. Sure looks like a great offering from Ford.

About the variants, I do not believe a 2.2 Titanium 4X4 is being offered. The only variant with a 2.2 litre engine and 4 wheel drive is the Trend variant.

The Chennai dealer is of the opinion that there is going to be a long waiting list, at least in Tamil Nadu. Due to the upcoming elections, politicians are expected to corner most of the allocation in Chennai through back-door methods. The Endeavor must be the ideal vehicle for campaigning in rural and hilly areas, some of which, I guess, would only be visited once in 5 years to seek votes when elections come!
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 09:52   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Which dealer in particular?

I'm 188 cms tall - borderline?

Could you see over the hood to the floor below as in a Safari? Fortuner blocks most of your view in front...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Hey, I would love to go down and have a look as well, Which dealer did you visit?
The car is placed with Bhavna Ford at Nerul, Navi Mumbai. I guess they'll soup it up right before the launch.

Interesting that you asked, SuperFlyBoy, I didn't get to see the bonnet much from the driving position. My reference is the Scorpio, where I get to see a lot of the bonnet real estate. Maybe it's because the windshield is squatter and the seats may not be really high. Mind you, when you are getting into the car, you'll know it's a tall car. One needs to climb in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Thanks for the detailed write up. Sure looks like a great offering from Ford.

About the variants, I do not believe a 2.2 Titanium 4X4 is being offered. The only variant with a 2.2 litre engine and 4 wheel drive is the Trend variant.

The Chennai dealer is of the opinion that there is going to be a long waiting list, at least in Tamil Nadu. Due to the upcoming elections, politicians are expected to corner most of the allocation in Chennai through back-door methods. The Endeavor must be the ideal vehicle for campaigning in rural and hilly areas, some of which, I guess, would only be visited once in 5 years to seek votes when elections come!
You are right buddy. My bad. The 2.2 Titanium comes with automatic, 4x2.

The top end 3.2 will be a rage for the politicians They can just use that panoramic sunroof perfectly.
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 12:19   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Following features are missing on Indian model.

•20" Alloy Wheels
•Adaptive Cruise Control with Forward Collision Alert
•Blind spot monitoring system (BLIS) with cross-traffic alert
•Driver Alert System
•230V inverter in rear console
•Pollen air filter
•8-way power front passenger seat with manual lumbar
•Auto high beam control
•Flip/auto spare key
•Satellite Navigation with traffic Management Channel
•Lane Keep Assist, Lane Departure Warning
•Heated Front Seats
•Mobile WiFi Hotspot

I agree few of them are not relevant for Indian conditions but these features contributes the high price in Australia.

So less features means less price, that's the whole point !
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 13:14   #465
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Following features are missing on Indian model.

•20" Alloy Wheels
•Adaptive Cruise Control with Forward Collision Alert
•Blind spot monitoring system (BLIS) with cross-traffic alert
•Driver Alert System
•230V inverter in rear console
•Pollen air filter
•8-way power front passenger seat with manual lumbar
•Auto high beam control
•Flip/auto spare key
•Satellite Navigation with traffic Management Channel
•Lane Keep Assist, Lane Departure Warning
•Heated Front Seats
•Mobile WiFi Hotspot

I agree few of them are not relevant for Indian conditions but these features contributes the high price in Australia.

So less features means less price, that's the whole point !
Tha ks for the detail reply. So can u expect what would be the otr price of the 3.2 variant then?
Closed Thread