Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2015, 09:13   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,224
Thanked: 800 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

So you managed to beat the combined bureaucratic might of the dealer and M&M to get the rare combination, huh? Also, it would enhance the looks a lot if you could remove the bull bar at the rear. Believe me, the tow hook is enough of a deterrent against people coming too close to your vehicle.

Many congratulations and wish you a million miles of safe and happy driving!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 1st October 2015 at 09:42.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 09:48   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNQ/MUM/PKD
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 595 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Congratulations. I never knew the Scorpio would look so good in red color .How is the handling on highways.This is one thing that is keeping me away from buying a scorpio.Though I am not a corner junkie,I just need a decent comfortable mile muncher.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 09:50   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,549
Thanked: 10,440 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Congratulations, joy, on going the 4wd way after contemplating about it for a long long time! I really like the way you've named your steed R3, quite reminiscent of my own H-4®. (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD)

The bright red colour is one I should have been choosing, for my own car, since I am said to be at that age when mid-life crisis strikes, and pink shirts & red cars are said to be essential to cope with such crisis. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, MLC decided to ignore me.

Your decision to change the tyres comes as a big surprise, since the upsizing voids warranty on suspensions and wheel bearings. The Contis are also noisier than the Duelers during high speed highway cruising. As predatorwheelz said, they ARE indeed overkill, and most Scorpio owners will vouch for the fact that 235 section tyres are more than adequate for the vehicle.

One more thing (now don't go and pick a fight with your service centre on my say-so ) - the tool you have shown to have been used for removal of the oil filter is not the correct one. A discussion about this happened some years ago, and you can read about it here. (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD)

Congrats once again, and wishing you many years of happy mile-munching and off-roading.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 12:04   #19
BHPian
 
autobahnjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Noida
Posts: 142
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Another pleasure served up after the Ladakh trip! Many congratulations on your new Rover, shinning in Red and hope to see more posts on your experiences with it. Today Scorpio is the most sensible choice if one is looking for a traditional, rugged and cost effective SUV.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 13:52   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Congratulations on the Raging Red Rover! (Loved the name )

Had read your travelogue before coming here - your style of writing is beautiful. Loved the way you described your first drive back from office!

Wishing you many more miles of happiness
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 16:55   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New Delhi+
Posts: 46
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Experiencing the mad mad world of Delhi-Gurgaon peak hour traffic on R3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I had been rather quiet about R3 for a day or so. I had not posted anything more- considering he was parked at home, waiting for an elusive parking sticker for the office parking lot.
Joy, is that Unitech Infospace parking lot? Looks like that, Btw I am employed there at the same complex. Would be good to see you someday!

Last edited by ampere : 2nd October 2015 at 04:59. Reason: Fixed Quotes
adik1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 18:39   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: London/Chennai
Posts: 102
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: R3's maiden highway drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Overall Verdict:
Yesterday while going through your travelogue to Corbett, I was wondering where is the ownership review of R3. And today it has arrived with a bang

Congratulations on your new acquisition and wishing you happy mile munching with R3 ..!
RJ411 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 18:51   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 13
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Your Scorpio looks mean in Red. Haven't seen many red Scorpio's on the road but the colour suits the competent machine perfectly. Congratulations. Heres wishing you lots of joy and happiness for years to come

Loved your passionate and humorous style of writing. Will start going through your others posts now
happy_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 19:19   #24
BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: BLR, KA, IND
Posts: 807
Thanked: 1,019 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Congrats on your new Scorpio. Wishing you kilometres of happy ownership. And yes, you'll mostly never require that 24x7 assistance as Mahhindra cars are pretty reliable.
Loved the details in the review.

I'm not surprised that it's a first S10 4WD to be delivered as the XUV sits in a similar price bracket. Coming to that- Why didn't you consider XUV 500 AWD? (Especially since you were looking at higher priced cars)

I've heard that it does rather well on slippery mountain roads, although it can't take you where the Scorpio can.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 23:19   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,795
Thanked: 1,403 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Never noticed you on TBHP before, but your Scorpio caught my attention..!!

After all, I've been a delighted owner of a Scorpio CRDe (Hariya) as well for a long time.

Coming to the issues you've mentioned, I would like to make a few observations.

1. Highway handling:- Once you get used to it, it is pretty easy to control a Scorpio, even the older ones, and this one is way better.

2. Brakes: - I am surprised you don't find them adequate. The brakes of the Scorpio have never been below par by SUV standards. What is lacking? The bite, the travel or the pressure in your opinion?

3. Storage spaces: - Oh yes, while Hariya had 4 bottle holders alongwith a big slot for the phone in the centre console alone, he had oodles of space below the single DIN music system to keep odds and ends too. Further, the older glove boxes were bigger and deeper than the current one. I could keep whatever I needed to and still have space for some more, in spite of the door pockets being empty. The Scorpio definitely lacks that.

4. Arm rests: - I now own a Pajero Sport (Chetak) and while I have the kind of box you seem to like on the Innova, the arm rests of the Scorpio are better since they are longer, are cushier and do not necessitate the raising of the hand to retrieve things from the storage box.

5. Seat Covers: - These will definitely result in more sweat and heat in the cabin.

6: Car Cover: - I am a stickler for paint finish (in spite of being a 4WD owner), and the cover you have will scratch the paint. I would recommend a Polco cover which is white in color (softer material) to protect the paint.


Chalo, that is enough for now. It is your ride after all..!! Congratulations.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 00:18   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,312
Thanked: 1,883 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisition. It is an amazing amount of detail indeed. Lets hope your potential usage of the car comes true as soon as possible.
Thanks predatorwheelz !

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Many congratulations and wish you a million miles of safe and happy driving!
Thanks Vikram !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Congratulations. I never knew the Scorpio would look so good in red color .
Thanks Rakesh !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Congratulations, joy, on going the 4wd way after contemplating about it for a long long time! Congrats once again, and wishing you many years of happy mile-munching and off-roading.
Thanks doc shamindra

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Another pleasure served up after the Ladakh trip! Many congratulations on your new Rover, shinning in Red and hope to see more posts on your experiences with it. Today Scorpio is the most sensible choice if one is looking for a traditional, rugged and cost effective SUV.
Thanks autobahnjpr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Congratulations on the Raging Red Rover! (Loved the name )

Had read your travelogue before coming here - your style of writing is beautiful. Loved the way you described your first drive back from office!

Wishing you many more miles of happiness
Thanks mallumowgli! Yes "Raging Red Rover" though apt, is a bit long- so I coined R3 as his nickname :-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post
Yesterday while going through your travelogue to Corbett, I was wondering where is the ownership review of R3. And today it has arrived with a bang
Congratulations on your new acquisition and wishing you happy mile munching with R3 ..!
Thanks RJ411!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_traveller View Post
Your Scorpio looks mean in Red. Haven't seen many red Scorpio's on the road but the colour suits the competent machine perfectly. Congratulations. Heres wishing you lots of joy and happiness for years to come
Loved your passionate and humorous style of writing. Will start going through your others posts now
Thanks happy_traveller! Yes - the color was a pleasant surprise. It's a new launch - and there aren't any others on the road - that I am aware of. Digital and other reproductions on the site, and in the showroom don't really bring out the tonal quality of the molten red. I really did not like the proffered (and popular) white or black. They are way too proletariat for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Congrats on your new Scorpio. Wishing you kilometres of happy ownership. And yes, you'll mostly never require that 24x7 assistance as Mahhindra cars are pretty reliable.
Loved the details in the review.
Thanks landcruiser123!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
So you managed to beat the combined bureaucratic might of the dealer and M&M to get the rare combination, huh?
Vikram... you should know - you got me started -when you put me on to writing that first email!


Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
1. I believe Mahindra does offer a roof mounted blower unit as an accessory. My boss's previous gen VLX had it fitted. You have mentioned the lack of one in your post.
For the current generation - IIRC, it's aftermarket - and not from Mahindra. One can add pretty much anything aftermarket once the car is bought. The point I made in the post was that the design is less than ideal for a hot country like India. Toyota has that aspect well covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
2. Isn't 265 a little overkill? Why not stick to the original tyre size of 235 and go for an AT?
No it's not. Because the accountants at Mahindra were hard at work , converting a very capable traveller's car into a Model T type abomination.And it shows. 235 AT for R3 ?
That's a good joke! Thanks for that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Your decision to change the tyres comes as a big surprise, since the upsizing voids warranty on suspensions and wheel bearings. The Contis are also noisier than the Duelers during high speed highway cruising. As predatorwheelz said, they ARE indeed overkill, and most Scorpio owners will vouch for the fact that 235 section tyres are more than adequate for the vehicle.
I will cross the warranty bridge if and when I come across it. The amounts for repair is peanuts for me- and I will gladly pay the bill - just so I can go to the places I have plans for. Road noise - ? a paltry quibble.
In any case for high speed long distance plains driving, I much prefer the more comfortable and the very dependable Milemuncher Innova. R3 fills a different need for me.
Unlike others, I am lucky to have the flexibility to choose between the two very iconic steeds depending on my specific use-case.I understand not everyone on the forum has that luxury of choice.

Many serious offroaders, have upsized their Scorpio tyres. Besides it would be good - for you to read GTOs post (for a different context-but similar issue) .. and take inspiration to upgrade from stock. Especially for someone who has never upsized from dueler (and others of that ilk) - the main reason is highlighted in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please tell me you plan to upgrade the tyre size as well.

175 mm tyres are simply too skinny for an 1100 kilo car with 117 horses on tap. Even an i20 & Dzire ZXi (with far lower power ratings) are equipped with fatter tyres. The only reason Honda went for this puny rubber size is the ARAI fuel economy rating & cost. Don't let their irresponsible priorities compromise your safety.
The difference of grip levels in one emergency manouveur can be the difference between life & death.
MRF ZVTV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Also, it would enhance the looks a lot if you could remove the bull bar at the rear. Believe me, the tow hook is enough of a deterrent against people coming too close to your vehicle.
Vikram ji... Unruly scooterists , motorcyclists & cyclists are the cause of retaining this unsightly SS 35 mm beam . They have the innate ability to strike at an angle and leaving ugly splats - not unlike the homing pigeons that leave their poop all over roof-tops and windshields. I will wait for a year - and if I find no dent marks on the beam - I will sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
How is the handling on highways.This is one thing that is keeping me away from buying a scorpio.Though I am not a corner junkie,I just need a decent comfortable mile muncher.
Highway manners are good. Very agile, quick accelerator, less body roll - see my post. Brakes are not that great. But then I am comparing it's brakes to the Innova - my other big car - it's a bit like comparing chalk to cheese.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
One more thing (now don't go and pick a fight with your service centre on my say-so ) - the tool you have shown to have been used for removal of the oil filter is not the correct one. A discussion about this happened some years ago, and you can read about it here.
Nope - it's the right tool all right. These are the adjustable grippers - unlike the very retro one that looks oh-so-early-60s shown on your thread. Both do the job,as they both mate to the can quite well. Provided they are in the hands of capable people. Obviously as you have found out with your (in)famous oil leakage debacle-said people need to be monitored closely, when doing the job.



Quote:
Originally Posted by adik1984 View Post
Joy, is that Unitech Infospace parking lot? Looks like that, Btw I am employed there at the same complex. Would be good to see you someday!
Nope. Its DLF Cybercity at the other end of town. But yeah let's connect. I am often seen shuttling between DLF Cybercity and DLF Silokhera - so would be glad to meet with you in the middle somewhere - PM me.



Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Coming to that- Why didn't you consider XUV 500 AWD? (Especially since you were looking at higher priced cars)
I've heard that it does rather well on slippery mountain roads, although it can't take you where the Scorpio can.
Availability of Low range. The XUV does not have that. It was always about capability. Had it been about higher priced cars only, I would have just gone and bought the Fortuner - eyes closed. That's one solid 4x4! But it was priced at a ridiculous level. Had I not bought the Innova in 2009 and waited a few months for Fortuner to launch - there would have been a very different set of travelogues on TBHP today!


Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Never noticed you on TBHP before, but your Scorpio caught my attention..!!

After all, I've been a delighted owner of a Scorpio CRDe (Hariya) as well for a long time.

Coming to the issues you've mentioned, I would like to make a few observations.

1. Highway handling:- Once you get used to it, it is pretty easy to control a Scorpio, even the older ones, and this one is way better. Yes- I agree. It handles better than the earlier CRde

2. Brakes: - I am surprised you don't find them adequate. The brakes of the Scorpio have never been below par by SUV standards. What is lacking? The bite, the travel or the pressure in your opinion? The pressure and bite. Again I am comparing apples to oranges and chalk to cheese when I say this. I personally felt the Innova's braking much much better. It may be a matter of getting used to it.

3. Storage spaces: - Oh yes, while Hariya had 4 bottle holders alongwith a big slot for the phone in the centre console alone, he had oodles of space below the single DIN music system to keep odds and ends too. Further, the older glove boxes were bigger and deeper than the current one. I could keep whatever I needed to and still have space for some more, in spite of the door pockets being empty. The Scorpio definitely lacks that.
This is obviously an area where the new generation has faltered
4. Arm rests: - I now own a Pajero Sport (Chetak) and while I have the kind of box you seem to like on the Innova, the arm rests of the Scorpio are better since they are longer, are cushier and do not necessitate the raising of the hand to retrieve things from the storage box.
No. I meant - they are restrictive for someone who is thickset and short. The left elbow jut against the arm rest, and the arm can't move freely. So I just shove it out of the way.
5. Seat Covers: - These will definitely result in more sweat and heat in the cabin.
Hmm. And yet with youngsters on board - I appreciate the protection they provide
6: Car Cover: - I am a stickler for paint finish (in spite of being a 4WD owner), and the cover you have will scratch the paint. I would recommend a Polco cover which is white in color (softer material) to protect the paint.
Thanks. I will look for it.


Chalo, that is enough for now. It is your ride after all..!! Congratulations.
Thanks devdath ji... Your thread is one of the few scorpio ownership threads I had subscribed too and pored over before my purchase decision.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 2nd October 2015 at 00:25. Reason: Added replies to devdath's post
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 08:44   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 39
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Joy, many congratulations on the R3.

It is interesting to note that Mahindra did protect your price against escalation. I was planning to book a S10 4WD 7CC in the last week of September 2015. I was told that such a vehicle is only made to order and may take 4-6 weeks. I was also told in writing that any price hikes and any changes of discount schemes will be passed on to me. There were no dearth of escalation from my end but Mahindra did not relent.

I am not sure why the company's inability to supply a vehicle is being passed on to the customer.
imove is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:21   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,002
Thanked: 4,419 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Congratulations!

Detailed thread. I can sense why are you getting low FE figures. Not that it counts as you have already mentioned its advantages of the tire upgrade for you.
But would also advise others to properly test these duelers on highways prior to changing them. IMHO, they serve the purpose.

Brakes are poor and you have to get used to it. Almost same braking for Fortuner.

Hope to cross paths with your R3 in my Explorer somewhere on the road.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd October 2015 at 11:29.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 13:16   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,224
Thanked: 800 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Vikram... you should know - you got me started - when you put me on to writing that first email!


Forgot to add 1 thing in my previous reply. The owner's manual recommends 6 litres for the oil change (maybe a few hundred ml more to accommodate the quantity that goes in the oil filter). If the ASC has filled 7 litres, please check if the oil level is above the max mark. Ideally, they should fill between 6 & 6.5 litres, and return the rest to you.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 13:26   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,795
Thanked: 1,403 Times
Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Had it been about higher priced cars only, I would have just gone and bought the Fortuner - eyes closed. That's one solid 4x4!
Indeed true...!!

One other tip that comes to mind, now that we are discussing 4WDs is that you could also consider retrofitting the Mahindra supplied MLD (Mechanically Locking Differential) to the rear of R3. It increases its capability to a significant extent. Hariya had it, and it helped me at a few crucial places in snow and on rocks.

Lastly, like a few others have mentioned, you can actually remove the rear nudge guard since you have the pintle hook at the rear. It makes people stay away. Also, I had painted Hariya's hook red, to get more attention and no one kissed his bumper ever since I had that hook on. A Santro did give it a smooch on the MG Road near that Airforce Station and the result was, well,
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Explorer: Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4 Sheel Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 276 15th July 2017 09:21
Sandakphu Phalut Kolakham - Unleashing a Mahindra Scorpio on Land Rover territory 1100D Travelogues 89 12th September 2016 11:05
Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red) sjcherian 4x4 Vehicles 80 29th July 2016 21:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks