Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th January 2017, 03:36   #91
BHPian

Default Re: The final "free" service

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post

By the time I got R3 back it was just past 4:30 PM. I left Genesis, lighter by Rs 10,310. Not cheap - for a "free" service.
Brake Pads 4k + Labour 1k approx amounts to 50% of the total bill.
Also isn't it early at 20k for brake pad replacement?

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2017 at 09:12. Reason: Typos
PraNeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 11:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That is a revelation. Didn't reclining it to more comfortable angle help? I always presumed the 8 seater's middle row to be significantly more comfortable compared to the 7 seater due to its reclining back rest.
I have only one basis for comparison. That of approximately 8 round-trips to Kolkata and back, on the Milemuncher (Innova).
Yes seat backrests were reclined to the extent that they would not intrude on the passenger sitting immediately behind me (driver).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Brake Pads 4k + Labour 1k approx amounts to 50% of the total bill.
Also isn't it early at 20k for brake pad replacement?
Yes. Mahindra consumables are expensive. The labour charges are a bit on the side , of leaving me feeling , much like a victim of organized extortion.

At 20k, the brake pads were at 15.09 mm and 15.75 mm. The mechanic लड़का (boy) & I use the term solely because he is much younger than I, looked at it during the inspection, and without measuring their thickness, told me that - "साब , यह चल जाएगा" (Sir, this will work).

I was a bit put-off by the fact that he pronounced them healthy without bothering to measure their thickness.

Visions of sparks flying, whilst attempting to slow down a steep down-hill grade, swam in my head.

I insisted to the supervisor, that he produce a vernier caliper and measure the thickness first. Said instrument was furnished, and the brake pads measured. Thereafter, the same guy pronounced, they were beyond their useful life (21 mm thickness). The new pads come at 23 mm thickness. The safety threshold of 21 mm was corroborated by the supervisor, the warranty claims inspector (whom I respect for his knowledge), and the manager of the workshop. The point on why a 2mm safety margin is published by Mahindra, is something that I cannot really comment on.

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2017 at 09:13. Reason: Fixing typo in quoted post
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 21:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

Happy to report that Mahindra have invited us for the Saffron Baisakhi event on 15th April.
The invitation was at the behest of the dealer Koncept Mahindra (Genesis) and my regular SA.
The invite was accompanied by a very nice & thoughtful gift. Pictures follow.
Hopefully this will be a fun evening with fellow petrolheads!
Attached Thumbnails
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4-1491320228208.jpg  

Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4-1491320339252.jpg  

Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4-1491320366878.jpg  

Last edited by joybhowmik : 4th April 2017 at 21:14.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 17:40   #94

Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Two months back i became a proud owner of a white scorpio s10. It is an amazing vehicle.
At the 1st service i dropped the car at Shri Durga service centre. Later in the afternoon they called and informed me that the clutch plates were burnt. Burnt at 5k ? Seriously ?
They told me that they have reported the case to mahindra for replacement of the clutch components​ under warranty but they failed to do so. The clutch replacement costs 17k.
What should i do ? Please help !
I have reported the issue at their customer care too.
khushpreet.97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 23:15   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
At 20k, the brake pads were at 15.09 mm and 15.75 mm.
The new pads come at 23 mm thickness. The safety threshold of 21 mm...
There seems to be some confusion here. It is surpising that M&M recommends discarding brake pads with 21 mm thickness remaining, where original thickness when new is 23 mm. I think the usable thickness is recommended to be 21 mm, and the service guys interpreted it wrongly.

The recommended safe limit of brake pad wear is considered to be 2-3 mm. The UK MoT will pass LMVs (hatch/sedan/SUV) with 1.5 mm of pad thickness remaining, and the VicRoads (Australia) RWC will allow as low as 1 mm to pass. But as a rule of thumb, the heaviest of SUVs need a brake pad change at 3 mm.

In my own experience with the Scorpio, I have changed pads at ~5 mm once, before embarking on a highway drive, but generally let it wear down to 3 mm before changing. The pads last between 50-60k km with my (sedate) driving style, but the usual interval is reported to be not less than 35-40k km for most Scorpio users whom I know.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 01:10   #96
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by khushpreet.97 View Post
They told me that they have reported the case to mahindra for replacement of the clutch components​ under warranty but they failed to do so. The clutch replacement costs 17k.
What should i do ? Please help !
I have reported the issue at their customer care too.
While it is difficult to prove the reason for clutch wear and hence fight your way out of it, what you can do is to talk to the RM Service and tell him that you'd want the clutch kit to be replaced under goodwill warranty.
Most M&M and TML chaps are nice in such cases and oblige.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 06:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

An update:
After a long interval, I had the opportunity to bring R3 back in pole position as ride of choice.
Even after standing still for over a month , he fired back to life with one twist of the key.

A perfect Sunday was marred by a pebble tap dancing on R3's Windshield and causing a crack.
As my local Windshield Expert outlet did not have the all important resin, I got the glass fixed at a local auto glass place opposite LSR.
The gent who attended to the repair.Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4-img_20170515_105200811.jpg
The tools of the trade
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4-img_20170515_105214786.jpg

This weekend another milestone came up :22222 km.
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4-1495847279428.jpg
Nothing much to report , except a few niggles:
1 Window rattle
2 Tailgate rattle
3 And one occasion when the ignition barrel did not release when the key was retracted.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 27th May 2017 at 07:15. Reason: Added info about Windshield repair
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote