Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th April 2016, 23:09   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
2. When ignition is turned off and on, the bluetooth connection breaks and does not connect automatically. We have to open the App and manually connect.
Just saw this post. I have the exact same Steelmate TPMS in my Figo with same type of tyre pressure sensors (I also did not want the valve cap type sensors). On iOS, it does ask you if you wanna allow connection to Steelmate when you plug it in the lighter socket or if you turn ON ignition (if its kept plugged in) without opening the Steelmate app. It prompts you even on the locked screen in the notification area. Once you allow connection, it takes you to the tyre pressure reading screen in the app. Does not require manual conmection in my case (on iOS). Connects automatically but with your permission.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 08:34   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
On iOS, it does ask you if you wanna allow connection to Steelmate when you plug it in the lighter socket or if you turn ON ignition (if its kept plugged in) without opening the Steelmate app. It prompts you even on the locked screen in the notification area. Once you allow connection, it takes you to the tyre pressure reading screen in the app. Does not require manual conmection in my case (on iOS). Connects automatically but with your permission.
That is one step better than Android. So, when the app asks for your permission to connect and you allow connection, does the app keep running in the background and gives some sort of alarm on low pressure or high temperature situations?

Another question: How long have you been using the system on your Figo? One drawback of this system is that the battery is not replaceable and the complete sensors have to be changed. Hope the sensors last 5 years as the manufacturer promised. Also, I searched Steelmate stores for replacement sensors, but could not find any listing. Hope these are not too expensive when time comes to change them.

I was looking for a seamless integration of the system into the car and have been unsuccessful so far.

First preference: I wanted the TPMS app to run on my android HU and automatically connect. When there is a tire pressure warning, the app could give an alarm on the HU screen. But I have not been able to even pair the TPMS to the HU.

Second preference: The TPMS app on my cell phone automatically connects to the receiver every time the car is switched on. All I need to do if I wanted to check the pressures is open the app and look. The auto connect issue has made this impossible as well.

Will keep looking for a good solution and update the thread if I find one.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 09:24   #108
BHPian

Quote:
That is one step better than Android. So, when the app asks for your permission to connect and you allow connection, does the app keep running in the background and gives some sort of alarm on low pressure or high temperature situations?

Another question: How long have you been using the system on your Figo? One drawback of this system is that the battery is not replaceable and the complete sensors have to be changed. Hope the sensors last 5 years as the manufacturer promised. Also, I searched Steelmate stores for replacement sensors, but could not find any listing. Hope these are not too expensive when time comes to change them.

I was looking for a seamless integration of the system into the car and have been unsuccessful so far.
Same here. Retrofitted OE systems on my Skoda and BMW for active tyre pressure and temperature monitoring. Fitted these as both are sporting 19ers (prone to damages much easier as compared to stock sizes and these cars are for long trips and highway runs where the roads are not familiar and surface condition is unknown) so that I know the status of the tyres real time independent of anything that is not part of the car's safety monitoring equipment. But for Figo, I did not think much and went ahead with Steelmate TPMS. Was more of an additional feature on my Figo than necessity as compared to my other 2 cars (slightly higher profile than stock + its for city commute where the roads are familiar and good). But regardless of all that, its still a good safety equipment to have.

I installed it when I bought the new Figo in Feb 2016. Hope the battery of tyre sensors lasts 5 years. I haven't been in a situation where the alarm had to be triggered so far, but I guess the purpose of - Steelmate automatically asking for permission - is to monitor the pressure and temperature to trigger an alarm if required (from the time the car is started). I think the app does the monitoring job in the background. Now that you asked, I am wondering the same. I was under the belief that it does, because its pointless to have that system if it does not monitor in the background. Must check to confirm this when in the tyre shop next time.

Quote:
First preference: I wanted the TPMS app to run on my android HU and automatically connect. When there is a tire pressure warning, the app could give an alarm on the HU screen. But I have not been able to even pair the TPMS to the HU.
That would have been very cool just like an OE system if you could get it paired to your onboard Android unit!

Quote:
Second preference: The TPMS app on my cell phone automatically connects to the receiver every time the car is switched on. All I need to do if I wanted to check the pressures is open the app and look. The auto connect issue has made this impossible as well.
When the app is running in the background (after u saw the initial tyre status when it opens the app upon you giving permission to connect initially), any time you can go back to app screen to see the tyre status. Like I said before, I am guessing its continuously monitoring even when the app is minimised and running in the background. Will update when I get a chance to confirm this when at the tyre shop next time.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 09:53   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After the wheels were fixed to the car, plugged the receiver to the 12V socket and downloaded Steelmate TPMS app from Google PlayStore.
Attachment 1495046
How many 12V ports does the polo come with ? If you are using the 12V port for the dashcam, how are you going to use the TPMS and how will you charge you phone at the same time ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 10:07   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
How many 12V ports does the polo come with ? If you are using the 12V port for the dashcam, how are you going to use the TPMS and how will you charge you phone at the same time ?
There is only one 12V port in the Polo. For the dashcam, I am not using the 12V port. I have hardwired the dashcam to the 12V supply from cabin light assembly. That leaves me with the one 12V socket for the TPMS receiver and the charger. As I use the Polo only inside the city and most of the trips last only an hour or so, I have not required the charger. But for long drives, I will require the charger and at that time, I may have to remove the TPMS for short intervals. Not a good idea though as I will lose the TPMS monitoring during these times!

Soon, I plan to add a 12V socket splitter for simultaneously using the TPMS and the charger.
Old 14th April 2016, 10:53   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Soon, I plan to add a 12V socket splitter for simultaneously using the TPMS and the charger.
My rapid also comes with a single 12 V socket.
I too want to add a dash-cam and TPMS to my Rapid, but I am currently not doing it due to socket limitation.
I am not as adventurous as you are to give direct supply to the dashcam, because I don't want Skoda folks to deny any DSG warranty claim due to such modifications.

Please post on this thread when you purchase a 12V socket splitter, I will also follow this route.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 11:37   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
My rapid also comes with a single 12 V socket. I too want to add a dash-cam and TPMS to my Rapid, but I am currently not doing it due to socket limitation.
Not sure but I have a small suggestion for both of you. Hope it is of some help.

In my Swift too, there is only one 12V socket. I need that to power the dashcam, TPMS amd also charge my mobile. So that gets us 3 in the same position.

To avoid issues with 12V overloading, I hardwired my dashcam so that solves one issue out of 3. For TPMS and mobile charging, I have been using TomTom High speed car charger. It looks like this:

Name:  ForumRunner_20160414_113155.png
Views: 2403
Size:  283.7 KB

This one has 2 USB ports (One is fast charging and the other is regular speed charging) and it also gets a compensatory 12V socket.

What I do now is, use the USB port to charge my mobile and the 12V socket that is there on TomTom car charger, I plug the TPMS unit in. Added an image to illustrate what I am trying to communicate.

Name:  ForumRunner_20160414_113519.png
Views: 2375
Size:  480.8 KB

Been using this setup almost for an year now. No issues at all. I still have another USB port left as spare for passengers to use.

Cost of the charger when I bought from Flipkart was 1500. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B005MIZYOW/..._cyZdxbQWR9Y50

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th April 2016 at 11:51.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 13:47   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not sure but I have a small suggestion for both of you. Hope it is of some help...

This one has 2 USB ports (One is fast charging and the other is regular speed charging) and it also gets a compensatory 12V socket.

Cost of the charger when I bought from Flipkart was 1500. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B005MIZYOW/..._cyZdxbQWR9Y50
Thanks Anurag. That is a cool solution. And for 1500, you got a good deal as well. The price in Amazon right now is INR2600.

I have been facing another issue with the dashcam because of which I want to power the dashcam through the 12V socket (still have not reached the stage to mess with the wires in the fuse box).

Right now, the 12V signal I have on the cabin light assembly gets on when the car is unlocked. At times, when I forget to lock the car, the camera is powered and is continuously recording. This can drain the battery and also completely overwrite all the drive time videos in the dashcam.

I am thinking of a product like below.

12V splitter

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home-car-charger.jpg
Image Source: Amazon India website

This one has two 12V sockets, one 1A USB charger port and one 2A USB charger port. I can use the 1A USB charger port to power my dashcam - already got a USB extension cable, and the 2A charger port to charge my cell phone. One of the 12V sockets can take the TPMS, and one will be a spare.

I have not yet finalized this particular product (need to check comparable products, read reviews etc), but am thinking about getting a product like this.

What is your opinion on this?
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 20:48   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been facing another issue with the dashcam because of which I want to power the dashcam through the 12V socket (still have not reached the stage to mess with the wires in the fuse box).

Right now, the 12V signal I have on the cabin light assembly gets on when the car is unlocked. At times, when I forget to lock the car, the camera is powered and is continuously recording. This can drain the battery and also completely overwrite all the drive time videos in the dashcam.

What is your opinion on this?
I'll still urge you to hardwire it through the Fuse box rather than wiring through the cabin light.

It won't affect warranty and is completely reversible. Will protect you dashcam and car's battery. I am not comfortable with using 12V socket splitters so I am not sure if I can genuinely guide you. Apologies.

PS: I just completed hardwiring my dashcam. Thread is in Assembly Line.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th April 2016 at 21:07.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 06:59   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I'll still urge you to hardwire it through the Fuse box rather than wiring through the cabin light.
PS: I just completed hardwiring my dashcam. Thread is in Assembly Line.
Thanks Anurag. I will plan to hardwire the dashcam supply once I have a look at your thread.
Old 8th May 2016, 07:12   #116
BHPian

Hi Graaja,
Can you help me with the wiring of oem auto dimming wiring. I have mentioned details in this posthttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3968604
I am stuck with that six pin connector. I don't which one is ground and +12v.
sunilsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 09:50   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Hi Graaja,
Can you help me with the wiring of oem auto dimming wiring. I have mentioned details in this posthttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3968604
I am stuck with that six pin connector. I don't which one is ground and +12v.
Hi, I have installed the regular auto dimming IRVM with just two open wires for supply. So I do not have the information of the OE IRVM. I think Gannu will be the right person who will have this info.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 03:46   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Installed Street Guardian SG9665 dashcam
How's the SG9665GC holding up? Planning to get one with the hard-wire kit.
harsh79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 05:36   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
How's the SG9665GC holding up? Planning to get one with the hard-wire kit.
It is doing good. Last time I checked the recording was a month back when I had taken the GT for a drive to Bangalore.

If you plan to directly connect to the battery with the motion detection function, then you will need the hardwire kit with the low battery cut off. Otherwise, you can just cut the 12V connector in the stock power supply cable and use that itself as hardware kit.

I have ordered a hardwire kit and a couple of fuse taps so that I can take the supply from the ACC signal in the GT, and also fix the spare mount on the other car so that when I take the other car for long drives, I can use the Street Guardian in the other car as well.
Old 15th May 2016, 05:43   #120
BHPian

Good to hear that it's working well.

Plan to hard-wire it to the cigarette lighter socket fuse, with a fuse tap. The generic hard-wire kit blew my (now replaced) Mini 0805, so plan on getting the SG Cell power kit.

The CPL costs a bomb too.

Last edited by harsh79 : 15th May 2016 at 06:05.
harsh79 is online now   Reply With Quote