Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 14:58   #136
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,516
Thanked: 1,884 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
I checked the website, but could not find the price.
Can you please let me know what it costs including shipping ?
around 21,000 INR,

Quote:
Would I need any extra cables to fit this to my Vento TSI 2016 model ?
I am aware that I would need the Park module to activate optical parking.
If you want the optical parking you would require the module.

Quote:
Also, what are the advantages/dis-advantages of this unit over the Android ones ?
Simply, Surf online, Best thing is look for videos online, It would be self explanatory.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2016 at 09:53. Reason: PM coming up
Tanveer_2558 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 16:05   #137
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 55
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Regarding the HU -
What I was trying to ask is would it be plug and play and still be able to perform all the functions like:
1. Steering controls
2. display car info like temperature, RPM, speed, etc...
3. Mute on engaging reverse gear
4. All BT functions, A2DP, Ipod connectivity, etc
5. Does it have pre-amp outs ?

On that note, Do we know what OS it uses ? Can we load 3rd party apps on it ?

Also, are the maps updatable ? Can we use Google maps or any other ones ?

I like this HU and thinking about swapping it with my current RCD330G, if I can find a buyer for my unit. Its brand new as my car is only 6 months old with around only 2000 km on the odo.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2016 at 09:54. Reason: Edited in line with post #136
Mitz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 16:38   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,516
Thanked: 1,884 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Regarding the HU
Check out this link, Both 611 and 811 would fit, pick your poison, Everything is mentioned clearly, And you can always youtube for some videos too.

http://www.audiosources.net/products...FId=t3:50001:3

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2016 at 09:55. Reason: Edited in line with posts #136 and 137
Tanveer_2558 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 17:13   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,287
Thanked: 2,553 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
...
Regarding the HU -
What I was trying to ask is would it be plug and play and still be able to perform all the functions like:
1. Steering controls
2. display car info like temperature, RPM, speed, etc...
3. Mute on engaging reverse gear
4. All BT functions, A2DP, Ipod connectivity, etc
5. Does it have pre-amp outs ?

On that note, Do we know what OS it uses ? Can we load 3rd party apps on it ?

Also, are the maps updatable ? Can we use Google maps or any other ones ?

I like this HU and thinking about swapping it with my current RCD330G, if I can find a buyer for my unit. Its brand new as my car is only 6 months old with around only 2000 km on the odo.

Thanks again.
All the below information is based on the discussions I had with vendor. I will be able to confirm once I install.

The HU is supposed to be plug and play. They will provide a cable assembly that can connect to the ISO connectors in the OE wiring harness of the Polo GT. This connector also has the CAN bus signals and the steering controls should work out of the box. As the system information like temperature etc are available through CAN bus, these should also work seamlessly.

Not sure about what OS this uses. I don't think it is possible to load any other third party apps.

For maps, they provide IGO8 with an SD card loaded with maps. I am not sure if it is possible to update. Should be possible.

Regarding mute on reverse, A2DP, BT functions, Ipod connectivity etc., I will be able to tell you once I install the system in my car.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 07:40   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,287
Thanked: 2,553 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

DS611 DIY installation done. Some pictures.

Startup logo.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-logo.jpg

Home screen shows many system parameters.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-home.jpg

Car info screen.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-info.jpg

Media player
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-media.jpg

Tire pressure monitoring system
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-tpms.jpg

Navigation using IGO8. The HU comes with India maps loaded.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-navigation.jpg

I will write a dedicated thread and provide more details on the installations and features.
graaja is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 14:40   #141
BHPian
 
BlueEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Driving around
Posts: 110
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

This looks really good
Honestly, I didn't expected you to replace the Android HU so early. I have same Android HU installed on my GT for almost a year and it's pretty smooth sailing till now touchwood. Now that you have replaced it I bet there is a good reason for that. I have lots of questions on this unit like gentlemen who posted above, hardware specifications and which OS it runs on? I will patiently wait for your detailed review.
BlueEyes is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 16:49   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,287
Thanked: 2,553 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
This looks really good
Honestly, I didn't expected you to replace the Android HU so early. I have same Android HU installed on my GT for almost a year and it's pretty smooth sailing till now touchwood. Now that you have replaced it I bet there is a good reason for that. I have lots of questions on this unit like gentlemen who posted above, hardware specifications and which OS it runs on? I will patiently wait for your detailed review.
There was nothing wrong with the Android HU, per se. Just that I was looking for a HU that integrated with the car like the RCD510 in the Jetta. I was especially looking for shorter start up time, TPMS integration and small conveniences like pause on mute etc. In terms of flexibility, Android HU still is a better option compared to this one, as it is an universal platform and you can just install many apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
Regarding the HU -
What I was trying to ask is would it be plug and play and still be able to perform all the functions like:
1. Steering controls
2. display car info like temperature, RPM, speed, etc...
3. Mute on engaging reverse gear
4. All BT functions, A2DP, Ipod connectivity, etc
5. Does it have pre-amp outs ?

On that note, Do we know what OS it uses ? Can we load 3rd party apps on it ?

Also, are the maps updatable ? Can we use Google maps or any other ones ?

I like this HU and thinking about swapping it with my current RCD330G, if I can find a buyer for my unit. Its brand new as my car is only 6 months old with around only 2000 km on the odo.

Thanks again.
Now that I have looked at the HU first hand, I will answer your questions from my experience now

1. Yes. All steering controls work out of the box.
2. Yes. The display shows many system details like coolant temperature, speed, rpm, door open status, fuel quantity in tank, battery voltage, tire pressure, washer fluid level, hand brake status etc.
3. Yes. Mute on reverse gear is there and is configurable in system settings.
4. All BT functions including A2DP are present. However, iPod is not supported, which is a drawback.
5. Yes. It has pre-amp outputs.
6. I dont think this runs any OS. It is not possible to install any third party apps.
7. They have provided IGO8 maps on an SD card. I guess it should be possible to get map updates from IGO. With the phone mirror function, I tried Google Maps on my phone and it works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Here are a couple of pictures of phone mirroring in action.

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-phone-mirror.jpg

Google maps running on my phone.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-google-maps.jpg

An interesting thing is that this is actually not MirrorLink. My cell phone Motorola Moto G does not support MirrorLink. But the HU manufacturer has developed an app which can be installed in any android phone (I tested with Moto G, and my friend's Nexus 6P which also does not support MirrorLink).

Last edited by graaja : 11th September 2016 at 16:57.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 21:39   #143
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 993 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

This looks H-O-T. I was stuck in two minds about whether to go for this or not, but I'm pretty darn sure that this is a worthwhile purchase at some point. Looks very neat and is a genuinely big upgrade over the current head unit.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 01:47   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,516
Thanked: 1,884 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

It looks, AWESOME! You were absolutely correct for opting for the 611 version, And man i am soo glad everything worked out just soo well and smoothly, The system surely is loaded with features and i cant really wait to get this for my jetta! Will be deciding in a day or two about, Probably me and iliketurtles will jump in together, Hoping the 50$ trick will work for us too



Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
This looks H-O-T. I was stuck in two minds about whether to go for this or not, but I'm pretty darn sure that this is a worthwhile purchase at some point. Looks very neat and is a genuinely big upgrade over the current head unit.
Din't i tell you? Now we gotta plan even more to arrange this along with the remap and polishing! Oh How can i forget Iphone 7 too !
Tanveer_2558 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 11:52   #145
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 55
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
It looks, AWESOME! You were absolutely correct for opting for the 611 version, And man i am soo glad everything worked out just soo well and smoothly, The system surely is loaded with features and i cant really wait to get this for my jetta! Will be deciding in a day or two about, Probably me and iliketurtles will jump in together, Hoping the 50$ trick will work for us too
Hey Tanveer, whats this $50 trick mate ? Is this some sort of bulk order discount being offered ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Now that I have looked at the HU first hand, I will answer your questions from my experience now

1. Yes. All steering controls work out of the box.
2. Yes. The display shows many system details like coolant temperature, speed, rpm, door open status, fuel quantity in tank, battery voltage, tire pressure, washer fluid level, hand brake status etc.
3. Yes. Mute on reverse gear is there and is configurable in system settings.
4. All BT functions including A2DP are present. However, iPod is not supported, which is a drawback.
5. Yes. It has pre-amp outputs.
6. I dont think this runs any OS. It is not possible to install any third party apps.
7. They have provided IGO8 maps on an SD card. I guess it should be possible to get map updates from IGO. With the phone mirror function, I tried Google Maps on my phone and it works perfectly.

An interesting thing is that this is actually not MirrorLink. My cell phone Motorola Moto G does not support MirrorLink. But the HU manufacturer has developed an app which can be installed in any android phone (I tested with Moto G, and my friend's Nexus 6P which also does not support MirrorLink).
Thanks for answering my questions.
I have a few more questions and you can answer them along with your detailed review.
1. Is it possible to mirror an iPhone ?
2. I couldn't see any USB/AUX ports. Is it like wires coming out from the back oh the HU and going into the glovebox or something ?
3. Have you installed RVC ? do we get those dynamic turning lines out-of-the-box or would it be dependent on the RVC we choose ?
4. One of the (many) pain points in my current RCD330G HU is the inability to change/skip folders while playing music. Do we have any such functionality in the USB/SD card interface ?
5. How much did the optional TPMS cost ? Can you please share some pics for that ?
6. Just curious, did you consider the DS-811 as well ? Any specific reason for NOT opting for the 811 ?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but I really like this HU and it looks like a perfect candidate to replace the RCD330. I just want to be be sure of the features and nothing can beat a first hand and non-biased account provided by a fellow member.

Thanks in advance and waiting for your detailed review.

Regards.
Mitz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 12:12   #146
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,287
Thanked: 2,553 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
1. Is it possible to mirror an iPhone ?
2. I couldn't see any USB/AUX ports. Is it like wires coming out from the back oh the HU and going into the glovebox or something ?
3. Have you installed RVC ? do we get those dynamic turning lines out-of-the-box or would it be dependent on the RVC we choose ?
4. One of the (many) pain points in my current RCD330G HU is the inability to change/skip folders while playing music. Do we have any such functionality in the USB/SD card interface ?
5. How much did the optional TPMS cost ? Can you please share some pics for that ?
6. Just curious, did you consider the DS-811 as well ? Any specific reason for NOT opting for the 811 ?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but I really like this HU and it looks like a perfect candidate to replace the RCD330. I just want to be be sure of the features and nothing can beat a first hand and non-biased account provided by a fellow member.

Thanks in advance and waiting for your detailed review.

Regards.
1. I have not tried an iPhone, only two different android phones. But the phone mirror screen shows an option to choose between an android and iPhone device. So I guess iphone should work.
2. Yes. The USB and Aux connections are from the rear and to be brought into the glove box. Right now, I got the USB and Phone mirror cables hanging behind the glove box. I plan to get a proper USB/Aux port and fix it either inside the glovebox or in the center console. Something like this:

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-usb-aux.jpg

USB/Aux Cable for RCD510

3. Yes. I have installed a reverse camera. The dynamic lines work out of the box. One irritant with my camera is that it superimposes its own straight guidelines which makes it two guidelines - straight one from camera and dynamic one from HU. Planning to go for the flip camera that has an option to disable the guidelines from the camera.
4. I did not understand what you mean by change/skip folders. Can you elaborate? The HU has a basic folder based browsing feature to select the desired folder. Not advanced with album, artist level categorizing.
5. TPMS cost $70
6. Yes. I considered both DS611 and DS811. Both have the same interface, but DS811 has a bigger screen. I chose 611 for its OE look buttons.

No problem about the questions. Glad to be of help. The detailed thread is under construction. It may take a couple of days to go live.

Last edited by graaja : 12th September 2016 at 12:13.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 13:40   #147
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 55
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
3. Yes. I have installed a reverse camera. The dynamic lines work out of the box. One irritant with my camera is that it superimposes its own straight guidelines which makes it two guidelines - straight one from camera and dynamic one from HU. Planning to go for the flip camera that has an option to disable the guidelines from the camera.
4. I did not understand what you mean by change/skip folders. Can you elaborate? The HU has a basic folder based browsing feature to select the desired folder. Not advanced with album, artist level categorizing.
Thanks graaja.

Yeah I agree the 2 guidelines can surely be an irritant. I was planning to install the Ameo RVC to my Vento and wondering whether the same issue would occur ?!

Regarding the folders what I meant was, if I am listening to songs from Folder1, is there any option on the interface screen to directly jump to the next or previous folder without going back to Root folder to select the next/previous folder ?
Something similar to those 1DIN units with a round dial where the left/right buttons are used to change songs and the up/down buttons are used to change folders.

On this particular HU, is there any option for SIM slot for connecting to the internet in order to create a hot spot for car occupants ?

Thanks
Mitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 13:49   #148
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,516
Thanked: 1,884 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
Hey Tanveer, whats this $50 trick mate ? Is this some sort of bulk order discount being offered ?.
Okay well, So it would help everyone reading this, Basically, You ask the seller to put a set amount of value on the invoice, We asked him to put 50$ only, And might as well mention as a used part, Looking at the value of 50$ mostly no customs is charged!
Tanveer_2558 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 13:52   #149
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 55
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Okay well, So it would help everyone reading this, Basically, You ask the seller to put a set amount of value on the invoice, We asked him to put 50$ only, And might as well mention as a used part, Looking at the value of 50$ mostly no customs is charged!
Haha..!!

Otherwise how much customs are we looking at over the price of Rs. 21000 ?
Mitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 15:16   #150
BHPian
 
antardaksh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 306
Thanked: 185 Times
Default re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
Haha..!!

Otherwise how much customs are we looking at over the price of Rs. 21000 ?
Hi Mitz,

It could be as high as 45% of the invoice value. It basically depends on them, sometimes they might add 20% of the invoice value as shipping and then charge customs of 37% on that.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo 1.5 TDI (Comfort Line) kishore1984 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10 2nd October 2016 22:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks