Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th January 2016, 22:36   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
The Tank rides smoother now and I hope the FE increases also. Fingers crossed.
Hey Captain, its been more than a month since your update. Hope everything is fine. Were you able to take the 'Tank' to any battleground or you had to maneuver it only in city streets?
Inner Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 16:10   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
That is interesting. Seems to be roughly inline with the numbers posted on bbc topgear - fuel efficiency figures 9.8 kmpl for city and 13.3 kmpl for highways.

Anything above 90kmph will reduce highway fuel efficiency. Hopefully it should improve after your first service.

http://www.topgear.com/india/mahindr...v300/itemid-51
That is true. I got my Tank last week and clocked nearly 500KM with 37L of fuel. I got an FE of 13 odd KM. Expecting this will improve after first service. I have driven mostly in ECO Mode.
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 17:28   #108
BHPian

Sorry folks, had been on a sabbatical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I may be asking stupid questions, but please don't mind answering them:
  • Do you rev the engine too much while changing gears?
  • In traffic don't you use the engine's very good low end torque just to potter around?
  • The max torque band is in the range of 1500-2250 rpm. Don't you try to maintain the car in this rpm range most of the times?
  • Also don't you use engine braking? After hard acceleration and then hard braking is surely bound to increase the fuel consumption
Hi AutoIndian, question answer session - answers below

1. No, I do not rev or race the engines while changing gears
2. I use the low end torque in traffic, but start from first gear after coming to a standstill.
3. I hardly go beyond the torque range, gears are changed to keep the car in this range
4. Shifting down when slowing is being done, using the engine braking.

Pass or fail ?

I have been driving the VW vento in the same way and in the same traffic conditions and the FE never went down below 15 kmpl. Fuel is taken from the same pump for the past year and half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Voice View Post
Hey Captain, its been more than a month since your update. Hope everything is fine. Were you able to take the 'Tank' to any battleground or you had to maneuver it only in city streets?
Inner Voice, Chennai roads are my battlegrounds now. I have been ATTACKED twice. The first one was bad and the second one was a small blow.

Below photos should clarify.

THE FIRST BANG
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img20151231wa0004.jpg
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img20151231wa0005.jpg
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img20151231wa0006.jpg
On 26.12.15, in the heavy traffic outside Chennai Central Railway station, a Tata 407 guy wanted to squeeze in from my left to space in front of me. The bumper was pulled out completely and the fender dented and scratched.
The traffic was so dense that I just could not get off the vehicle and the 407 guy taking advantage of this, turned into the next street and vanished. Drove off from the spot. Stopped at a clearing to evaluate the damage. I managed to push the bumper back in place. No dents on the bumper, only on the fender. Few clips clicked in and held the bumper in place.
The next day I called up the Mahindra workshop, sent them the photos over whatsapp. They estimated something between Rs 20000/ to 25000/ as no tinkering will be done. The entire bumper and the left fender will be replaced and the painting done. Although I had a bumper to bumper insurance, decided against it since the workshop required around 3 weeks time. Reasons being that they had their hands full with the flood vehicles and that they did not have the bumper and the fender readily available, and I could not wait for so long.
Went to Ignite, on the ECR, at Neelankarai, got a quote for Rs 5000/ for fixing it up. The fender was tinkered and painted, and the old bumper was clipped back, and the result was a near perfect. A little bit of 'JUGAAD' had to be done to the bumper, as 2 clips at the corner was damaged.
The bumper is holding good till date.

SECOND ONE
The second one was when a Scorpio guy overtaking from the right suddenly saw the left turn he had to take, and then 3 actions happened simultaneously. He switched on his left indicator, he turned left and I jammed on the brakes. Luckily, no one was on my tail. His rear end brushed against my right fender.
The moment I stopped, this joker turns to the left, gets into his lane and speeds away.
The impact was minor, so I did not bother to stop and check. Went home and this is what I found.
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img_20160206_082308247.jpg

It was not bad and now was the time to test the POP-A-DENT tools.

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img_20160206_095939368.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img_20160206_095304620_hdr.jpg

POP And the result
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img_20160206_110521320.jpg

Nearly perfect. Used some 3M rubbing compound and got rid of the minor scratches and the white paint of the scorpio.

Since then, its been 'cease fire' so far.

The humming sound from the engine cropped up again a few weeks back, and there was a metallic clang coming up from below the gear lever when ever the rear wheels go over a bump.
I fixed up an appointment with the MASS and took the vehicle to the service station.
At the service station and with the SA sitting with me, I could not replicate the noise from under the gear lever. He mentioned that they will lift the vehicle and check. The noise from the engine, which I had earlier, was due to the resonator. They said that they will replace the resonator.
The SA also mentioned that there were instructions to replace the FDM (fuel delivery module) and that an update to the ECU will be done.
I asked them why I was not called up and informed that this had to be done when they were aware of this earlier. Only when the customer goes to the service station will they be informed. The answer was that since this was not a critical update, the TUV owners were not called and informed.
Anyways, the updates and repairs were done by evening and I got the car back. They could not find the reason for the noise heard from under the gear lever. I have raised a CONCERN (that was how M&M termed it) about the owners not being called and informed about these recalls or updates till they visit the workshop, and was informed that they shall ESCALATE the matter.

2 weeks back I DISCOVERED that this gear lever noise is heard only when the engine is cold, ie when I leave home in the morning for office. Once the engine has warmed up, the noise vanishes. So now armed with the knowledge I registered a complaint with MASS and had an appointment last saturday which I could not make. I shall take the vehicle to the service station this saturday.

Have completed 7000 km so far. Apart from the above things are going good. FE remains the same - between 10 to 11. The next month during the school vacation planning to go down to my home town, where the traffic is less than 10 % of Chennai and then check what is the efficiency that I get.
Below is what I have been getting.
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-screenshot_20160309154845.png

Will update next after the visit to the service station for the gear noise check.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 09:59   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry folks, had been on a sabbatical.
It was a very long hiatus indeed CAPTAIN, nevertheless Welcome back. The last update from you on this thread was as of 12th Dec, so how could you be so aloof for almost 3 months?

Quote:
Hi AutoIndian, question answer session - answers below, Pass or fail ?

I have been driving the VW vento in the same way and in the same traffic conditions and the FE never went down below 15 kmpl. Fuel is taken from the same pump for the past year and half.
Who am I to fail you. If all the conditions are same between your Vento & TUV, then the only difference I can see is the kerb weight. The Vento at 1190 kilos is lighter than the TUV by almost 400 kilos. Now every time you drive the TUV you are lugging around this 400 kilos of additional weight compared to your Vento. I can attribute the low FE figures only to that (all other conditions being the same)

My Indica used to give me 18 kmpl, Innova was rock solid @ 12.5 kmpl and now the TUV is at 14 kmpl, all three for the same route.

Quote:
Inner Voice, Chennai roads are my battlegrounds now. I have been ATTACKED twice. The first one was bad and the second one was a small blow. Below photos should clarify.
Very sad to see to tank in that condition. However there is a tank in its genes and it seems to have bore the brunt pretty well.

Quote:
Went to Ignite, on the ECR, at Neelankarai, got a quote for Rs 5000/ for fixing it up. The fender was tinkered and painted, and the old bumper was clipped back, and the result was a near perfect. A little bit of 'JUGAAD' had to be done to the bumper, as 2 clips at the corner was damaged.
The bumper is holding good till date.
Good to know that your tank is back in shape at a fraction of the cost quoted by the MASS.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 13:17   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The last update from you on this thread was as of 12th Dec, so how could you be so aloof for almost 3 months?
Practice and more practice AutoIndian. Keep your hands off the phone and the computer.

Quote:
Who am I to fail you.
Just kidding ai, AI

Attaching the FE figures. I made a mistake in the one I posted yesterday. Had fed in 1700 instead of the per liter rate. Just realized the mistake when I was going through AutoIndian's reply and saw that the per km cost was real high, and when I saw 87 thousand as the total cost.
Below is the corrected one
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-screenshot_20160310115217.png
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 13:23   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Practice and more practice AutoIndian. Keep your hands off the phone and the computer.
Good, I cannot do that as I have to keep my hands on the computer to earn my bread and cannot keep them off the phone as well as I will miss all the TBHP updates

Quote:
Attaching the FE figures. I made a mistake in the one I posted yesterday. Had fed in 1700 instead of the per liter rate. Just realized the mistake when I was going through AutoIndian's reply and saw that the per km cost was real high, and when I saw 87 thousand as the total cost.
Below is the corrected one
Attachment 1484324
I thought so, there must be some mistake to get the weird figure of running cost. Mine is hovering at Rs 3.68/- But hey we never brought our tanks to analyse and dissect the kmpl or Rs/km figures. We brought them to conquer the roads (as aptly mentioned in this thread title)
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 11:04   #112
BHPian

My heart bleeds looking at the damage caused by the auto. I had a similar experience when I got my Tank.

I was reversing the Tank, noticied auto in the back. Big basket delivery auto. Having good experience with Hyderabadi autowalas, I stopped my Tank and gave side to the autowala. To my surprise he stopped and gave side to me. So I started and for some unknown reason he bumped in to my bumper.

Called MASS, got a quotation of 15k. Went to bigbasket office, met the manager and explained the situation. They apologised and offered full refund of the bill amount. They refunded money in 2 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 Ownership Review - A Tank to tame the road!-img_20170512_124802.jpg  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 12:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
My heart bleeds looking at the damage caused by the auto. I had a similar experience when I got my Tank.

I was reversing the Tank, noticied auto in the back. Big basket delivery auto. Having good experience with Hyderabadi autowalas, I stopped my Tank and gave side to the autowala. To my surprise he stopped and gave side to me. So I started and for some unknown reason he bumped in to my bumper.

Called MASS, got a quotation of 15k. Went to bigbasket office, met the manager and explained the situation. They apologised and offered full refund of the bill amount. They refunded money in 2 weeks.
Sad to see the damage on your tank, ramnaresh. I think this part of the TUV is very vulnerable to other careless road users. I have a dent exactly at the same spot, courtesy a reckless Vista driver, who brushed the front left of his Vista on my right front fender. Fortunately it is not very deep and barely noticeable, hence living with ever since. Hope you can get the dent removed pretty soon.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote