Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th October 2015, 08:12   #106

Default Re: Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review

The Punto Abarth is the most exciting launch of the year; the poor man's Ferrari!!
What a package! Going by the reviews, the gearbox still remains an issue with the Punto. I so wish that Fiat had fixed that chink..

Looks wise, I sort of prefer the Avventurra to the Punto Abarth. I somehow find the White one with the Red stickers quite revolting.
ta.joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 08:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

For those working from Bagmane Tech Park in Bangalore, the Abarth Punto is on display today in front of the food court.

Unfortunately, most of the time the cars that are displayed there are static.
In a way good, or we would have many of the IT crowd run down within the park!
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 08:52   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Wow. Nice review here. I spotted you guys at Hebbal swapping driving seat. I was wondering how can someone owning an Abarth allow another person to drive. *Now makes sense.*
Thanks. You couldn't have spotted us though. Nkrishnap drove alone from the city to Yelahanka where I joined him. Member rbp also joined us there in his Ninja 650, the bike seen in two of the pics.

And this happened at 4am in the morning on Thursday. Had to start off early to make sure we get to spent more than a couple of hours with the car, as it was to be made available for official formalities later in the day.

Aadya showroom guys are providing long test drives to prospective customers (like hemanth described) on the airport stretch. You probably would have spotted the car when it came out for test drives.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th October 2015 at 08:53.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 09:44   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
I am really not confident with VAG's customer handling skills and i say this because quiet a few of friends had to suffer for putting their faith on the German behemoth.
Yes; I agree that the German's aren't great with customer service. The Italians are probably worse, in a different way. What you have to contend with Fiat India is delay in procurement of spares and complete lack of technical knowledge of the chaps at the service centre. I would say that it is the engineering of the car that keeps it on the road longer than what the service guys are capable of doing. I dread taking my car for service. My car is closing in on 4 years, is at 30,000 clicks and out of some miracle, not a single part changed under warranty or out of it. Zero complaints.

To be honest, you are in the same boat if you buy a VW or a Fiat. The better built car is a VW.

Quote:
A 1.2 for a sedan simply fails to entice me.
I struggled with this same comment, a colleague put across to me, when he wanted to upgrade from a Baleno. One drive of the Vento Tsi was enough to get rid of that doubt. A Vento Tsi is in his garage.

It is unfair to compare a Abarth Punto to a GT Tsi. A Linea T Jet and Vento Tsi can be compared. They come quite close on power. All I am saying is, you must experience what other cars feel like to drive before you narrow down on your decision.

Quote:
On top of that we have the mechatronics issues and they are not even offering an extended warranty for the GB which they have been forced to offer across the globe
I will agree that more time is needed before we can rule out that the gearbox is fault free. Extended warranty is now applicable for the DSG GB.
sandeepmohan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 09:51   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks. You couldn't have spotted us though. Nkrishnap drove alone from the city to Yelahanka where I joined him. Member rbp also joined us there in his Ninja 650, the bike seen in two of the pics.

And this happened at 4am in the morning on Thursday. Had to start off early to make sure we get to spent more than a couple of hours with the car, as it was to be made available for official formalities later in the day.

Aadya showroom guys are providing long test drives to prospective customers (like hemanth described) on the airport stretch. You probably would have spotted the car when it came out for test drives.
If I am not mistaken, the video shot was in Devanahalli near the international airport. The spot where you guys took a u turn looked familiar and if you turn right over their the road leads to Hollywood town. We did a road trip in our Brio in May and we stayed at my uncle's place in Hollywood town.

I have done some fast runs on my Brio on that stretch of road and the way the Abarth Punto shed speeds before the speed breakers tells a lot about the braking ability of this car.
SnS_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 10:24   #111

Guys, does anyone know if Fiat's offering any exchange offer for its original hot hatch Palio 1.6? Abarth Punto seems the ideal successor
kkstile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 12:02   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkstile View Post
Guys, does anyone know if Fiat's offering any exchange offer for its original hot hatch Palio 1.6? Abarth Punto seems the ideal successor
Yes, FIAT is offering exchange offers even from other manufacturers. Talk to the SA and he should be able to help you with the quote for your palio after assessment.
super.cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 12:23   #113
Team-BHP Support

Fiat appears to have already hiked the price of the Avventura to over Rs. 10 lakh. The company's website has listed the car at Rs. 10,00,976 (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-fiat.png

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 12:23   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
For those working from Bagmane Tech Park in Bangalore, the Abarth Punto is on display today in front of the food court.

Unfortunately, most of the time the cars that are displayed there are static.
In a way good, or we would have many of the IT crowd run down within the park!
Thanks. Went and checked the car out. Contrary to what has been mentioned in this thread by the reviewers, the Air intake and the intercooler are exactly the same as found in the Linea T-Jet. The only difference visible is the turbo, which is VL38 in place of VL37 found in the Linea T-Jet. There could be differences to the camshafts and exhaust manifold, but that would require deeper inspection. The ECU is the same Bosch ME 7.9.10.

I am convinced that converting an existing Linea T-Jet to these specs is possible, but might be expensive. The engine note is the same as the Linea T-Jet. I did not drive the car, so cannot comment about differences in the driving experience.

I am of the opinion that this car does not qualify to be branded Abarth and should have been also called "Powered by Abarth" like the Avvy. The engine bay looks nothing like an Abarth.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 12:47   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Yes; I agree that the German's aren't great with customer service. The Italians are probably worse, in a different way. What you have to contend with Fiat India is delay in procurement of spares and complete lack of technical knowledge of the chaps at the service centre. I would say that it is the engineering of the car that keeps it on the road longer than what the service guys are capable of doing. I dread taking my car for service. My car is closing in on 4 years, is at 30,000 clicks and out of some miracle, not a single part changed under warranty or out of it. Zero complaints.
I seem to have had a very different experience with Fiat service over the past 6 years, and going by your comment the experience seems to be very service center dependent. I've been getting my car serviced at KHT for the past 4 years and have had absolutely no reason to complain. The staff has always been very courteous and I've not had a problem with spares availability so far (touchwood). In fact, i share a great rapport with my service advisor as well and anytime i face any issue, i bring in the car without any appointment and he ensures my car is taken care of.
So i've had no reason to complain with the Fiat ASS so far, my car is now 6 years old and has clocked 85k kms.
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 13:37   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Contrary to what has been mentioned in this thread by the reviewers, the Air intake and the intercooler are exactly the same as found in the Linea T-Jet.
Sir, it was you only who shared the details about the changes in the other thread. And now you yourself are saying that the mentioned changes aren't correct. I agree you never mentioned intercooler, but you did mention air intake manifold as one of the changes.
firstguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 13:51   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
Sir, it was you only who shared the details about the changes in the other thread. And now you yourself are saying that the mentioned changes aren't correct. I agree you never mentioned intercooler, but you did mention air intake manifold as one of the changes.
Reproducing what I had shared earlier -

Quote:
Differences between the Linea T-Jet and the Abarth Punto T-Jet

1. Turbo Charger
2. Exhaust Manifold
3. Intake Camshaft
4. Exhaust Camshaft
5. Intake Air Fuel Module
6. Pressure Sensor After the Intercooler
7. Boost Pressure and Temperature Sensor on Intake Manifold
8. Fuel Rail
9. Spark Plugs
10. Injectors
11. Battery
12. Blue & Me control unit removed. Replaced with Uconnect
13. Obviously different maps
The reviewers in this thread have mentioned - Notice the bigger inetrcooler, with a picture and also mentioned

Quote:
1.4 Tjet has been heavily worked upon by having a revised intake, exhaust, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, injectors and of course a revised ECU map to provide the 145 PS @5500 rpm and the torque at 212 NM at 2000 4000 rpm.
There is no revised intake or bigger intercooler. While TBHP is source of great info, sometimes incorrect info gets published. Infact, when the review of Linea T-Jet was published, it was claimed that the car does not have an intercooler, which is factually incorrect.
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 13:58   #118
BHPian

Quote:
I am convinced that converting an existing Linea T-Jet to these specs is possible, but might be expensive. The engine note is the same as the Linea T-Jet. I did not drive the car, so cannot comment about differences in the driving experience.
Alright, I take it that you want the Abarth hatch power in the Linea Sedan form. I know there are a lot of options to up the power, from Tuning boxes tucked away under engine shroud to more subtle not-so-obvious means like remaps, however all these are illegal in India, unless you get an endorsement from RTO for ANY kind of modification (or ARAI if manufacturer chooses to provide options).

Is it not better to buy something that meets our needs and remain street legal?
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 14:02   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Alright, I take it that you want the Abarth hatch power in the Linea Sedan form.
Is it not better to buy something that meets our needs and remain street legal?
What can be done and what I will choose to do are two different things. My car is already remapped to 150 hp. My interest in the differences between these two flavours of the same engine is purely academic.
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 14:08   #120
BHPian

Quote:
My car is already remapped to 150 hp
This is what I mentioned sir, is it not better to buy something that offers us what we need and stay on the right side of the law, than modify and jump to the other side?
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote