Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th November 2015, 09:07   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi

"I will build a car for the great multitude. It will be large enough for the family, but small enough for the individual to run and care for. It will be constructed of the best materials, by the best men to be hired, after the simplest designs that modern engineering can devise" - Henry Ford

Disclaimer: Some of my opinions are mine alone and not meant to offend any particular brand/manufacturer/car. After all, we live in a country where free speech is encouraged, don't we?

Prologue

We own two cars in our family. Dad drives a 2008 Swift VXi in a beautiful Sunlight Copper hue. I drive a Crystal White 2011 i20 Sportz (P). The new car itch started early this year primarily because the Swift started showing its age. Clutch components needed replacement along with certain suspension components. The G13B swift was one of the few cars that would reach a ton in 2nd gear. My Dad and I would try this out once in a while in a private road behind my dad's office. Just rev it in 2nd till it reaches a Ton and thats it. The sheer grin this exercise put on our faces meant that we would do it frequently till the time the road was closed down for building additional factory sheds. This, I suspect is the cause of premature clutch wear.

We tried to postpone the urge of replacing the Swift by adding new seat covers, upgrading head lamps etc. But both my dad and me being car lovers to the core, the new car bug simply refused to stop biting. Besides, the Swift was not really a safe car. Save for seat belts all around, there was nothing more about safety to talk about.

Also our cars are not mile-crunchers: The swift had completed just 51k KMS in its 7 year life. Almost 40k KMS of it would have come from highway runs between Hyderabad (where I live and work) and a small town called Nalgonda (where my dad lives and works) 120kms from Hyderabad. His office commute was hardly 8kms each way and that too on highways. He would also prefer taking the office bus on most days when working on shifts.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0003.jpg

The Initiation

Come September this year and the new car bug bit the hardest. Our preferences for the next car were listed down.

1) It has to be safe. If not the safest, it should have atleast 2 Airbags and have ABS. Our frequent highway runs and the next to nil driving sense displayed by our countrymen was the deciding factor. With quality and therefore the speeds one drives on highways increasing by the day, a safe car was extremely important.

2) Excellent space for front passengers (mom and dad) and decent space for the occasional 5 people (me, wife and daughter included) with considerable luggage space.

3) Auto AC, Height adjustable seat belts, Auto adjustable and auto folding mirrors.

4) Should have enough ground clearance to enter the ramp in front of our house. Our house has two ramps, one being steeper than the other. The Swift had no problems clearing both of them, but my i20 used to scrape everytime we tried using the steeper one. If the new car did not clear the steeper ramp, then we have a problem, dont we?

5) Budget. Not to exceed 8L (give and take a few thousands) on Road. We had decided long ago that we would never buy a car on finance. So we would definitely need to stick to this budget.

Having jotted down the Must have's, we proceeded with listing down the Good to have's.

1) Preferably a Diesel. Makes for relaxed cruising on highways especially since we drove very often on the 120KMPH speed limit Hyderabad ORR.

2) Bluetooth telephony and decent ICE.

3) Service center in my dads town.

Cars that made it to the Podium

Now, the town of Nalgonda has just 3 dealers. Maruti, Hyundai and Ford. But we were open to other options as well since I live in Hyderabad and getting the cars serviced should not be a problem. Taking all the above into consideration, we zeroed in on the following.

1) Hyundai Grand i10 CRDI Asta (O):

++ Compact dimensions
++ Good experience with Hyundai service
++ Gadgetry on offer
++ Gorgeous Wine Red hue.

-- Mom didnt like it
-- Mom didnt like it (Do I need to add any more negatives)

2) Elite i20 Asta (O) Petrol

++ Beautiful looks and tight fit and finish inside out.
++ Gadgetry (I think this line applies to all Hyundais).
++ Spacious inside and out
++ Good experience with Hyundai again.

-- We already own an i20. So did not see much value add
-- Unexciting petrol engine.
-- Handling and dynamics. Though sorted is still not at par even when compared to our old swift.
-- Waiting time of 2 months with no firm commitment on delivery even after that.

3) VW Polo GT TSI

++ TSI & DSG. Match made in heaven of heavens
++ Impeccable fit and finish.
++ Awesome shades it was offered in.

-- DSG is a hit or miss. Especially when service center is > 100kms away.
-- Rear space not satisfactory
-- Not a fan of the timeless design. We felt that change was the only constant in life.
-- Out of budget. Maybe next time.

4) Honda Jazz V MT.

++ Honda badge
++ Excellent space on offer. Boot is cavernous.
++ Beautiful orange shade offered by them.

-- Not happy with the build quality. Felt flimsier than the old swift.
-- High-handedness. SA says, 'Saar, Nothing else is a Jazz' when we said build quality is poor. My father said, 'Yeah, Nothing else in a Jazz'
-- 6 month service interval in an age of 1 yr service intervals.

and finally...

5) Ford Figo Titanium TDCi.

++ Horses and Newton Meters. Awesome power and Torque figures from the Diesel.
++ Good safety features to match pt 1 above.
++ Drives reasonably well. EONs (and i10s) ahead of my i20.
++ Availability of service centre in town.
++ 20 days waiting quoted with promise of delivery before Diwali.
++ Space and gadgetry on offer.
++ Mom loved the Sparkling gold colour of the test drive vehicle. (Deal Sealer)

-- Not like previous Fords. Not that we owned any, but mostly from our driving experience of Fiestas and Figos of the yore.
-- Fit and Finish. Better than Jazz but still not in the league of my 2011 i20.
-- Boot is just about OK.

The Runners-up

1) The Figo Aspire

- Our budget (8L: repeating for readers like me with Short Term Memory Loss ) would permit just the Trend TDCi which has no ABS.
- Dad did not want to haul a boot filled with air at ~ 1L extra.

2) Rockstar: MS Baleno

- Overgrown swift. My wife even went on to say that it looks like the swift and an A-star had a good time together and voila the Baleno was born.
- Dad seriously wanted to move away from 'S' and the crooked 'H' badge by now.

Shortlist, Booking Process & Delivery

Without wasting much time, we zeroed in on the All new Ford Figo Titanium TDCi in Sparkling Gold primarily because it ticked most of the positive boxes. Me and Dad chose the variant and mom chose the color. My poor wife could only get to choose the soft toys for the new car.

We haggled quite hard and convinced the dealer to put in free seat covers (from the official accessory list) and waive off charges for the Essential kit. Paid an advance of 1,50,000/- through Cheque on 18th October 2015 with a promise of delivery before Diwali. The test drives and the booking process were extremely smooth and the SA we were dealing with was very friendly and helpful. We took Zero Dep insurance from within the showroom itself simply because we wanted to maintain some goodwill with them as they are the only Ford showroom in the small town.

As promised, we got a call from our SA on 5th of November saying our car is ready. He shared the VIN number with us. We decoded the vin from the Ford Etis website and found it to be a 20th October Manufactured Vehicle. We went in on 6th Nov armed with the Team-BHP PDI checklist.

We laid eyes on our newly acquired possession for the first time and I must admit, she was an absolute beauty. The SA and his manager gave us ample time for us to complete the PDI. Post that, we handed over the remaining amount, exchanged sweets/chocolates and GOLDILOCKS was handed over to us. The SA spent a good 45 mins explaining the features/safety aspects of the new car. He was a very enthusiastic chap and was extremely professional in his dealings always.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0019.jpg

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0018.jpg

Booking Process: 8/10
Follow-up post booking: 9/10
Delivery process: 10/10

We got a very good deal for our 2008 Swift VXi from one of my dad's colleague even before we could book the car. We requested him to wait till we got delivery of Goldilocks post which we bid farewell to our faithful companion of the last 7 years.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0071.jpg
Her last night with us

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0068.jpg
All our beauties in one place

Last edited by racer_ash : 11th November 2015 at 15:43.
racer_ash is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 14:10   #2
BHPian

Talking Re: Goldilocks!! Our all new Sparkling Gold FORD FIGO Titanium TDCi

Initial Impressions

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0073.jpg

Exterior

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0085.jpg

The front fascia of Goldilocks holds lot of character. The Aston-Martin inspired grille, those swept back headlamps, the chrome treatment all lend freshness to the design. To the untrained eye, the front is very similar to the Aspire but there are some minor changes done by Ford to the Grille design as well as bumper design. I feel the front design is more suited to a mature sedan than a hatchback. But I am not complaining.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0080.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0076.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0075.jpg

The headlamps have a nice inverted C treatment to their sides which look awesome. They also do a more than satisfactory job of illumination for an OEM set-up. The triangular insert near the shoulder line accentuate the side profile. The ORVMs, though funkily shaped are inadequate as pointed out in many reviews before mine. The protruding integrated blinkers would be the first to hit those rash autos and bikers. The follow me lamp feature lets the parking lights to remain on even after Goldilocks is locked up. I am yet to note the time these remain on.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0087.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0088.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0045.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0083.jpg
Rear wash is neatly placed and does a good job of spraying the entire rear windshield
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0089.jpg
Front wipers are visible when driving. The red shaded portion contains the VIN

In my opinion, the all new Figo has a very balanced design. It does not polarize opinion, nor does it catch eyeballs, like say the Elite i20. The hatch is extremely well proportioned, save for the one size smaller 14 inch wheels. The design of the alloys could have been better as well. All lights on the outside do the job they intend to do in a decent manner. Unlike new age cars, Ford have not spoiled proportions by providing reverse lights and rear fog lamp on both sides of the car. The reverse lights though are insufficient and coupled with less rearward visibility through the IRVM, make for difficulty in reversing. Ford does provide ECM with guidance for reverse as an official accesory, but its way too overpriced. This was the first and the only TO-DO item on our list, but looking at the quality and price, we have parked it for now. Will spend sometime with the car to gauge if this is really necessary.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0082.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0117.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0121.jpg

The front three-quarters is the best viewing angle for Goldilocks. The paint finish is top notch and even with a trained eye, it is very difficult to spot irregularities in the paint. Ofcourse for panels that are out of sight, there is still room for improvement. No complaints though. The hood is heavy and needs a good work out in lifting it. The same cannot be said of the hatch and door panels though. We noticed that the hatch requires additional effort to close for the door open warning to go off. Door panels flex when pressure is applied on them. The sheet metal too feels of a slightly lighter gauge when compared to my old i20. But they are definitely better than the ol' Swift. Ford has definitely saved some moolah and weight in these areas. Hope the inner door panels do not start rattling as we add up miles.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0081.jpg

Interiors

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0093.jpg

Goldilocks boasts of a clutter-free and highly ergonomic interiors. Everything from the switch-gear behind the steering and those on the AC and ICU fall very well into the drivers hands. The Driver seat and steering height adjust features help in finding a comfortable driving position pretty quickly. The drivers seat itself has good under thigh support, but I feel that the seat contour could have been better designed to offer lateral support. Also the pedals are placed a bit too far inside the foot-well. So anyone below 5'6" will have to move the seat forward a little too much to access them. At this position, the steering feels too close to the chest. My mom who is 5 feet tall felt that the passenger seat comfort was leagues ahead of both the Old swift and my i20. Though the seat height adjust is missing, the seat-belt height adjust is a boon for her. She always complained of the seat belt stinging her neck on both our old cars.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0098.jpg
The seat belt height adjust has got a range of ~ 6 inches.

The Steering is a nice wheel to hold and falls nicely into the hands. My dad drives mostly in the 10-2 driving position and he feels that this steering wheel looks made to order for his driving style. The placement of the Bluetooth and telephony controls (rewind button for receiving calls and forward button for ending calls) is very ergonomic and the buttons have a very tactile feel to them. The horn pad can be easily reached and the horn itself is pretty loud. So no running to the accessory shop to switch to wind-tone horns.

One good (or bad) thing though: Ford has rearranged the stalks to their correct position (for India) and this a boon for many owners moving from Jap/Korean brands. The stalks on both sides of the steering feel durable, but we felt that they lack tactile feedback, especially the indicator stalks. The car comes with lane change function and more often than not, we needed to double-check whether the blinkers are actually functioning as intended. Same goes for the actual indicator operation as well. The toggle between Hig/Low beam too is tacky and the switch action is not smooth especially when compared to my i20 which provides excellent feedback. The LHS stack controls the Rear/Front wiper movements and has a wheel for varying the speed of the wiper.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0095.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0092.jpg

The instrument cluster looks pretty neat especially when lit at night. It may look ordinary at first glance but it quickly grows on you. The Tacho could have been bigger especially for the fast diesel as the needle keeps climbing like crazy and it becomes difficult to keep track of the exact position of the needle since Goldilocks is in her run-in period. The MID displays various information like Average KMPH, DTE, Avg. Mileage and Instantaneous FE. I have seen values from 99.99kmpl till as low as 1.4kmpl for instant FE. . The various function in the MID can be toggled using the push button switch present at the end of the RHS stalk.

Fords are always known for their bone chilling ACs and this is no exception. The compressor rated at 154cc (IIRC) is even fit for making ice cubes inside the cabin. The Max AC function is a very well thought of feature and makes this monster run at full thrust and you are transported from the Sahara to the Antarctic in a matter of minutes. This feature is especially helpful in the summers of Telangana where temperatures are high enough to make omelettes on sheet metals. The AC knobs have a nice silver knurled finish to them and look extremely classy. Temp range is from 16 degree (Lo) till 28 degrees (Hi).

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0094.jpg

The center console especially the center AC vents look like they were designed by the same guy who designed them on my 2011 i20. They look strikingly similar. But the similarity ends there. The vents on the Figo have a good throw to them and rear passengers will not miss the rear AC vents. They are also surrounded in chrome adding a nice premium touch to the otherwise plain jane console. We still haven't figured out a way to close the center vents completely. AC vents to the side have a rotary action to them and are very efficient in directing cool air even to the rear occupants. They can even be completely folded. Glove-box is of strictly average size and cannot store anything more than a manual and a couple of coolers. This is also one area where more thought into fit and finish could have gone into.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0102.jpg

The ICE is a decent unit. It has 4 door mounted speakers (sorry no tweeters) and also has Bluetooth capabilities. Pairing itself is pretty easy. The ICE has the regular Aux/USB ports (placed inside the phone dock). It even allows you to download contacts into it. But for some reason, it worked on Android but not on Windows phones. Strange because I thought Fords came with proprietary Microsoft tools. Will need to figure this out later. The unit itself has good adjustment for Bass/Treble as well as balance and Fade but the display for these inputs are pretty old school. Most people wont feel a need to upgrade the HU-Speaker combo. As it is, with the current setup, on high Bass, the door-pads rattle a bit. The Ford MyDock is an extremely convenient and well thought-off feature in the Figo. This console acts as a fixture for a smartphone and using the USB integrates the phone to the HU. Though we are yet to try this extensively, we are sure it will be of great use especially during long drives where we may need to use Google Maps for navigation. The driver door-pad has controls for all 4 power windows (thankfully: unlike the old Figo) and an option to lock the rear power window function. Sadly there is no one-touch up/down nor are the switchgear illuminated. Not sure of the anti-pinch function though.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0096.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0097.jpg
Driver side door pad. Note the placement of speakers. Its almost at thigh level. Also seen is the controls for Headlamps, front and rear fog lamps, boot open and headlamp leveller. You can also see the bottle holders provided here.

Ford have been liberal with the space they have provided for knick-knacks. If my algebra is correct, there are a total of 14 places to hold various items from keys to bottles to that filter coffee.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0100.jpg

Rear seats have good space for 2 people, though a third person may feel unwelcome due to the unusually high transmission tunnel. The scooped out front seats liberate close to 2 inches of legroom. With the driver seat adjusted to my driving (5'10"), I still had around 4 inches of space to spare in the rear seat. The raised front seat mounting also helps rear passengers to place their feet under the seat though they need to be wary of the protruding rails on which the seats slide. Rear seat incline is set to a comfortable angle, though would have like better cushioning for the seats along with better designed rear headrests. For my height, I had around 1 inch of space above my head. But the rear sloping roof can foul with taller people heads if they sit a tad too upright. Overall, not much to complain about. Short people will have absolutely no complains about the rear. The window line also lends an airy feel to the cabin. They do not roll down completely but its not a big deal as we never run our cars without AC, thanks to the pollution and heat outside.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0108.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0109.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0106.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0099.jpg
Nifty button to fold the rear seats. Just press it down and fold the seat. The seat does not fold flush with the boot.

Boot space at 257 Liters is sufficient for those odd airport runs. The loading lip is a bit too high but for a Hercules-build like me, its not a big deal. The rear parcel tray sometimes fouls with the boot and prevents it from closing. It remains in the lifted up position and does not come down. The mechanisms for the rear wiper also mean that the parcel tray has a weird shape. I also noticed that certain panels which do not sit flush especially at the hatch area.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0112.jpg
Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0115.jpg

The Drive

All the areas of complain, I mean, each one of them, is forgotten once the engine is cranked up and Goldilocks starts rolling. There is good insulation on the inside on crank up and on idle. When the revs climb, things are even better. This diesel engine needs to be driven to know its capability. Its almost petrol like in low revs. It pulls cleanly in almost all gears right from as low as 1400RPM. Turbo lag is excellently controlled and once past 2000RPM, there is a strong surge and Goldilocks shows a great sense of urgency to move forward. On the day of delivery, even with 5 passengers, she pulled like a freight train. In the same situation, my i20 or the old Swift would need lots of whip to put up speed. But Goldilocks needed none. Just a gentle tap and she picks up speed like an airliner. The 100 American Horses and the 215Nm torque on offer make their presence felt, and how. Goldilocks has amazing cruising ability and on our maiden run on the ORR, she felt extremely relaxed cruising at 90-100KMPH.

The steering is light at parking speeds but it weighs up well as revs and speeds build up. As many others before me have mentioned, if you expect Fiesta or Linea like steering, you will be disappointed. But for an everyday Joe, it is sufficiently communicative and definitely light years ahead of my i20. U-turns in the city are a like taking a walk in the park thanks to the light steering. Goldilocks remains supremely stable at legal speeds and during sudden direction changes. No complains in this area at all. We considered upgrade to the stock tyres but gave it a pass since we really did no feel the need for it. We have moved away from days of pedal to metal drives thanks to an expanding family and added sense of responsibility. The stock MRF do their job well and personally I feel they are better suited for Indian conditions than Apollos that come shod in some of Goldilocks' brethren.

The gear rod feels premium to hold and the chrome surrounds add a touch of class to the stick. It falls perfectly to hand and is a joy to hold. The throws are short but the gearshifts are a bit notchy and are not sure slotting. Expect some rubberiness during fast gear changes. I must mention here that my 5 yr old i20 has butter smooth gear shifts and is a joy to use though the motor is a let down. Luckily, the extremely tractable nature of Goldilocks' heart ensures minimal gear shifts within both the city and on highways. The motor adds momentum in a relaxed and fuss free manner in all gears.

Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi-dsc_0101.jpg

The Motorbeam review below gives an idea of how the diesel motor fares against competition in 0-100 times as well as in roll on speeds. (I think I posted this link in another Figo thread as well).

Ford have managed to tune the suspension of Goldilocks keeping mass markets in mind. Crater sized potholes are dismissed off in a dignified manner and even though you can hear the dampers and coil springs doing their business, the cabin remains pretty much isolated. At low speeds, on typical city roads, the ride quality is pleasantly good. There are no bone jarring thuds heard and passengers are not thrown about like dummies. The beauty of the suspension is evident when Goldilocks attains legal speeds on the highway. She rides like she is on top of a surface plate and at some expansion joints on the ORR where my i20 would feel like an airliner ready for take-off, she remains supremely composed. Cornering is par for the course and as I said before, an average driver would not need anything more than this.

Epilogue

Few questions that we asked ourselves after we drove Goldilocks a little over 250kms in the past 5 days.

Q1) Did we make a mistake by choosing a diesel when we could have got the Titanium + petrol for the same price, even though our running is low?

Ofcourse not. Every time we push the throttle, the awesome rush of Power and torque makes us forget that a Titanium + even existed.

Q2) Is Goldilocks worth the 8 big O's that she commands?

Hell yeah. Torque, Torque and more Torque. Add to that a host of safety and convenience features and we are pretty sure she is worth every Naya Paisa she commands.

Q3) How good is our decision to buck the trend and go for Ford when we had options of Maruti and Hyundai nearby?

This, only time will tell. After scores of phone calls to friends that own fords and scouring over hundreds of reviews on internet as well as our very own Team-BHP, we have statistically concluded that modern Fords are a break-away from yesteryears when it comes to higher maintenance costs and unscheduled break downs. All in all, we are extremely happy with the choice we made.

I hope fellow Team-BHPians enjoyed reading through this review as much as I enjoyed penning it down. Its my first ownership review on Team-BHP so please excuse any newbie mistakes. I am open for comments and brickbats alike from more experience BHPians. If there are any more points that you want me to cover (I doubt this, since Moderators have beat me with their Official review), please feel free to ask.

Last edited by racer_ash : 11th November 2015 at 15:23.
racer_ash is offline   (24) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 09:47   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Got (100) BHP? Our Sparkling Gold Ford Figo Titanium TDCi

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 10:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Goldilocks!! Our all new Sparkling Gold FORD FIGO Titanium TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

I hope fellow Team-BHPians enjoyed reading through this review as much as I enjoyed penning it down. Its my first ownership review on Team-BHP so please excuse any newbie mistakes.
Congrats on your latest acquisition racer_ash

Though not my favourite shade, the heart of the new Figo TDCI is where the buck stands and how !!

VW 1.5 GT TDi demands a premium and was probably justified with some add-ons it offered. But with performance being given equal importance as safety by Ford and having made all this available at affordable price tags, Figo TDCI is probably a strong contender for the launch of 2015.

Figo TDCI is the newest, safest and by a long shot fastest diesel hatch in India today under 20lks. And what makes this sweeter, is the added benefit of being one of the most fuel efficient too

Wish you a happy motoring and many mile munching.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 13th November 2015 at 10:35.
Vik0728 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 10:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car racer_ash, and this was a really nice review.

I couldn't but help noticing - you replaced the old Swift with the Figo of a similar colour. Co-incidence?

And, since you have said that you frequently drive on highways, I would strongly recommend that you upgrade your tyres. You might want to stick to the stock size, but better quality rubber will transform the way your car handles highway speeds.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 15:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello racer_ash,

Congrats on your new FIGO. The engine indeed is a gem & the car overall as a package is a winner for enthusiasts on a budget.

Enjoy & Drive safe
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 08:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the new Figo. It must be a pocket rocket for sure considering its power to weight ratio and torque figures

Hope that you have a plan to upgrade the tyres which is very important to improve the dynamics of this car

Since the Aspire and Figo's are still a rare sight, will look out for your car in the city

Drive Safe !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 09:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats on your latest acquisition racer_ash

Though not my favourite shade, the heart of the new Figo TDCI is where the buck stands and how !!

----------------------------

Wish you a happy motoring and many mile munching.
Thanks for your wishes. As mentioned, choice was colour was given to the ladies of the house. If it were me, it would have been the Tuxedo black without any doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Congrats on the new car racer_ash, and this was a really nice review.

I couldn't but help noticing - you replaced the old Swift with the Figo of a similar colour. Co-incidence?

And, since you have said that you frequently drive on highways, I would strongly recommend that you upgrade your tyres. You might want to stick to the stock size, but better quality rubber will transform the way your car handles highway speeds.
Mom always get to choose the color for all our cars. She was smitten by the Sparkling Gold colour and hence the choice

Planning to replace the stock MRFs with Yoko Earth 1s. I have them on my i20 and am pretty happy with them. Am out of town till the end of the month so it will have to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hello racer_ash,

Congrats on your new FIGO. The engine indeed is a gem & the car overall as a package is a winner for enthusiasts on a budget.

Enjoy & Drive safe
Thanks karan561. I am bowled over by your video review. I agree with you. The TDCi in the Figo should be the No.1 choice for enthusiasts with no budget for the GT twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats on the new Figo. It must be a pocket rocket for sure considering its power to weight ratio and torque figures

Hope that you have a plan to upgrade the tyres which is very important to improve the dynamics of this car

Since the Aspire and Figo's are still a rare sight, will look out for your car in the city

Drive Safe !!!
Thanks Mobike008. Yeah tyres definitely need upgrade. We are thoroughly enjoying our drives on the ORR and bettter quality rubber will go a long way in boosting confidence. I saw another Blue Aspire near Hi-tech city the other day but I dont think it was yours because it did not sport Team-BHP stickers.

Lets be on the look out for each other.

Last edited by racer_ash : 16th November 2015 at 09:04.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:08   #9
BHPian

Goldilocks got her registration plates yesterday. Since it was dark by the time the plates were fixed, I couldn't take any pics. She is the first automobile in our household to sport a TS registration as well as a HSNP. The fitment process took just 15 mins and the plates look like they mean business.

She has also completed 1000kms and I have a few observations:

First, the good:

1) Absolute pleasure to drive both in the city and on highways. She has this brilliant ability to mask speeds and you really need to check the Speedo once in a while to stick to legal speeds.
2) 2nd and 3rd are all that is required from a standstill till around 60KMPH especially in city traffic. 2nd gear is like an automatic in bumper to bumper and slow moving traffic. No need of slipping the clutch. 3rd gear is good from as low as 20kmph all the way till 60.
3) Steering is light and precise. Those u-turns and tight parkings in city as well as lane changes in highway are extremely easy and controlled.
4) Very good space inside for a family of 2 (occasional 4 as well).
5) Rattle-free (I know its too early for that)

The not so goods.

1) ORVMs need a redesign as it has huge blind-spots. It does not even cover the adjacent lane in its entirety. It can be dangerous in city as well as highways. There were many occasions where I missed seeing bikers on both sides of the car.
2) Door panels vibrate even with stock speakers on higher volumes. The panel also flexes during power window operations.
3) Overall fit and finish does not feel as good as my i20. I am noticing small bits like the feel of the switchgear/controls are just not upto the mark as my i20. Ford ought to have put more effort in this regard.

Last edited by racer_ash : 2nd December 2015 at 13:09.
Old 2nd December 2015, 14:36   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi racer_ash,

Thanks for the ownership review & wish you aspiring time with the Figo.
At 8 lakhs, Figo is expensive but well paid off with list the list of features available.

While I can understand the reasons for not choosing Baleno & Elite i20, Polo TDI could have been considered. Did you test drive TDI as well ?
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 14:53   #11
BHPian

Hello sir,

Congrats on the car and wishing you and your dad many more happy and safe miles! The car is a GEM to say it in one word. If this car had realeased earlier, I would've picked it up in a cinch instead of the Grand i10 with no airbags!

Congrats once again.
The Dude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 09:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi racer_ash,

Thanks for the ownership review & wish you aspiring time with the Figo.
At 8 lakhs, Figo is expensive but well paid off with list the list of features available.

While I can understand the reasons for not choosing Baleno & Elite i20, Polo TDI could have been considered. Did you test drive TDI as well ?
Many thanks for the wishes Wanderers. Yeah, the list of features and the power on tap definitely justify the price it commands.

As I mentioned earlier, we were on a budget not exceeding 8L on road give or take a few thousands. At this price, we could only get the Trendline version of the TDi. We were also not comfortable with the rear space offered. The distance to the nearest service centre was the final nail in the coffin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan's Valet View Post
Hello sir,

Congrats on the car and wishing you and your dad many more happy and safe miles! The car is a GEM to say it in one word. If this car had realeased earlier, I would've picked it up in a cinch instead of the Grand i10 with no airbags!

Congrats once again.
Thank you Satan's Valet. Nice handle there . We did shortlist the Gi10 in its Asta (O) variant even before the Figo hatch was revealed. But my mom was not convinced and thus after a little bit of wait, we zeroed in on Figo. No regrets whatsoever.
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:11   #13
BHPian

Congrats racer on booking Figo.

Did you got the chance to test drive both Petrol and Diesel, If yes than how is the comparison between their performance?

I have booked Petrol Figo Titanium 2 days ago. This is second car in house and we are expecting it to run around 500-1000 KM per month.

If i go for Diesel from financial point of view do you think that makes sense. I know diesel is fun to drive and amazing power will make you happy but for 500-1000 KM running per month should i ask my SA to book diesel instead or petrol makes more sense?
karansm4u is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:41   #14
BHPian

Congrats Racer and wishing you miles of FUN & happiness with the car. Good initial report with some great set of pictures. During my recent trip to Secunderabad, did notice many of the newly launched Ford Twins and the car is definitely a looker for sure.
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting home the Goldilocks mate. Wish you many many happy miles with the car. Seems like the deliveries of the Aspire and Figo have just picked up some steam. Noticed more than 8 Aspires on my trip to Shimoga last Saturday. But now with Chennai plant out of operation, we have to see how this affects the future deliveries.
I guess you have an upgrade list planned already but the first on the list should be a change of tyres to better/wider rubber. All the best and enjoy the beast!!
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote