Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th November 2015, 20:00   #31

Default Re: A Renault Kwid comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Awesome review and congrats for acquiring the baby Renault.
The color complements the design of the car really well.
Two queries: How well does the car hold on inclines with AC On and Full Load?
What has been the real time Fuel efficiency for you?
Hi,

1. The car does struggle a bit like any other 800cc car. The only 800cc car i've owned and driven on the same incline is a Daewoo Matiz. Comparing the drivability on an incline with that - the Kwid fares much better. There were 4 people on board and the AC was switched on (no luggage), the car felt quicker and more responsive than my Matiz (when we used to drive up the same incline years ago). But yes, it is not a performance oriented machine and till the time you're not overly optimistic- you'll be happy.

2. Real time fuel efficiency has been approx 19.5 Overall ( as per MID). In city confines should be approximately 15 with AC.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards
Abhinav R
Abhinav R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2015, 20:05   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv_cal View Post
Congratulations on the new car Abhinav. Wish many happy miles to both you & your dad!

My cousin too is contemplating booking one. What we liked was the muscular stance of the car, the FE, and the price point at which it is available.

We heard from someone that the quality of the touchscreen infotainment system is not up to the mark and touchscreen is not very responsive. How has been your experience with it so far ?
Hi viv_cal,

The quality of touchscreen is Ok. It works well on most occasions but does require a tad more shove while keying in destination details (Read: smaller keys).I would rate it a 7/10. That said, it is very user friendly-even my dad was able to use it without any assistance.

Regards
Abhinav R
Abhinav R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2015, 21:52   #33
BHPian

Congrats Bro and also awesome review. Very detailed, I loved reading it. Btw, you had to wait for a month and I have to wait till end of December or January next year, even though I booked in September 26, 2 days after prices were announced.

Reason given by dealer was that even though I had booked using the app, they have no way to track online bookings and one has to inform them of the online booking and only then then would it be considered as a booking by them. The number provided by them on website was not working and so I had to physically go (69 - 72 kms.) and present myself before the dealer with my booking ID. lol, Good move by Renault to introduce online booking of the car but bad implementation

Anyway, wishing you and the Kwiddy lots of wonderful moments ahead. Dunno how I'll pass these seemingly long months waiting :(
wadewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2015, 23:25   #34

Looking at the price, I suddenly realised why the WagonR remains a trusted bestseller after so many years at this price range inspite of so many 'new Kwids on the block'. :P
SamarthMehrotra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 11:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamarthMehrotra View Post
Looking at the price, I suddenly realised why the WagonR remains a trusted bestseller after so many years at this price range inspite of so many 'new Kwids on the block'. :P
That's exactly what I thought, here kwid rxt is priced around 4.1 on road, for a little bit more you can own a Wagon R, which IMHO is far better than the Kwid. Below are the ex-showroom prices, and there are a lot of promotions going on so expect good discounts on these prices.
I'd bought a Wagon R Vxi in October, 2011, it's on road price was quoted 4.54L(or 4.64L), and on top there was a discount worth 35k on it (including exchange bonus+ loyalty bonus) + 3k corporate discount. I was exchanging my 2001 Wagon R Lxi which they had priced 1L. I said I will pay 3L+ exchange my car. They pushed Lxi variant forward, I humbly said no and went to another branch of the same dealer, within an hour I got a call from sales representative of the former branch and the deal was signed. So as per me I paid 4L for the VXi back then.
Besides that I have a feeling after seeing the amount of plastics in the engine bay that Kwid won't age well. Well that's just my opinion.
That said, Kwid is definitely a brilliant package from Renault, and will definitely break the monotonous traffic sight which is dominated by Altos and Wagon Rs.
Attached Thumbnails
A Renault Kwid comes home-image.png  

Last edited by wrongturn : 25th November 2015 at 11:53.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 14:59   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Just on looks, if I were a Suzuki/Maruti boss, I'd be weeping and knocking my designers' heads together. The Kwid looks as if it belongs to this century: Maruti equivalents, err... don't.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 16:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
That's exactly what I thought, here kwid rxt is priced around 4.1 on road, for a little bit more you can own a Wagon R, which IMHO is far better than the Kwid. Below are the ex-showroom prices, and there are a lot of promotions going on so expect good discounts on these prices.
I'd bought a Wagon R Vxi in October, 2011, it's on road price was quoted 4.54L(or 4.64L), and on top there was a discount worth 35k on it (including exchange bonus+ loyalty bonus) + 3k corporate discount. I was exchanging my 2001 Wagon R Lxi which they had priced 1L. I said I will pay 3L+ exchange my car. They pushed Lxi variant forward, I humbly said no and went to another branch of the same dealer, within an hour I got a call from sales representative of the former branch and the deal was signed. So as per me I paid 4L for the VXi back then.
Besides that I have a feeling after seeing the amount of plastics in the engine bay that Kwid won't age well. Well that's just my opinion.
That said, Kwid is definitely a brilliant package from Renault, and will definitely break the monotonous traffic sight which is dominated by Altos and Wagon Rs.
Providing the following Links for reference :
http://www.carwale.com/comparecars/r...4309&car2=2783

http://www.cardekho.com/compare/maru...FQckaAodjaILmg

I would still consider the Kwid over the WagonR for the following basic reasons :
  1. Better Boot Space
  2. More room within the cabin
  3. Better Ground Clearance
  4. Better Mileage as claimed by Renault (but still to see from Ownership Reviews)
  5. Better Features
  6. Updated Looks

Well that's my perspective !!
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 17:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Well, here in Bangalore, the VXi is atleast 75K more than top spec Kwid. The Wagon R loses Touch Media player, Airbag, Large boot space,higher GC. It doesn't end here you will get lesser FE in Wagon R and significant of all, Wagon R Parts and maintenance cost is going to be higher than Kwid. With current introductory price Tag Kwid is extremely value for Money.

Take Maruti itself, the price difference between Alto 800/K10/Celerio/Wagon R is mere thousand and all products manage to find buyers.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 17:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Well, here in Bangalore, the VXi is atleast 75K more than top spec Kwid. The Wagon R loses Touch Media player, Airbag, Large boot space,higher GC. It doesn't end here you will get lesser FE in Wagon R and significant of all, Wagon R Parts and maintenance cost is going to be higher than Kwid. With current introductory price Tag Kwid is extremely value for Money.

Take Maruti itself, the price difference between Alto 800/K10/Celerio/Wagon R is mere thousand and all products manage to find buyers.

We indians have got into a mentality wherin we have started to believe that if there is the name of Maruti suzuki associated with any four wheeler, even a hand cart and Maruti starts advertising it, it is bound to be value for money in all terms. But we tend we forget that there are other players in the market who also deserve a chance to prove their worth and are equally competent.

Agreed that their products may be priced lower than the competition but the costlier service will bring the cost of ownership very much equal after a period of 5 years. Renault has really brought a good product in market which is better in overall terms than the wagon r/celerio or Alto k10.
su1978 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 17:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
We indians have got into a mentality wherin we have started to believe that if there is the name of Maruti suzuki associated with any four wheeler, even a hand cart and Maruti starts advertising it, it is bound to be value for money in all terms. But we tend we forget that there are other players in the market who also deserve a chance to prove their worth and are equally competent.

Agreed that their products may be priced lower than the competition but the costlier service will bring the cost of ownership very much equal after a period of 5 years. Renault has really brought a good product in market which is better in overall terms than the wagon r/celerio or Alto k10.
Well its mostly to do with Maruti's reach. They have maximum number of dealership and makes it the only option to many. They also have well established manufacturing units and are able to meet demand. Manufacturers like Renault on other hand have a wonderful product like Kwid but are struggling to meet the demand.

BTW Maruti's aren't cheap any more, be it the sticker price or Maintenance cost.
PrideRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 18:39   #41
BHPian

Hi. I was thinking of buying a kwid but the service people at a dealership, two of whom are my patients, advised me to wait for a few months a renault is still addressing some niggles in the car. Is it true or are the guys simply trying to curry favour?
risham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 18:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
BTW Maruti's aren't cheap any more, be it the sticker price or Maintenance cost.
and second you on that comment !! Maruti's nowadays do not come "cheap"; neither the buying price tag nor the cost of maintenance.

to say that .... well let's not take this discussion further to the level where it turns out to be a Renault Vs Maruti thread as it's an Ownership Review of our BHPian brother who has preferred to buy a Renault over a Maruti for his Dad and the reasons are best mentioned by him in his review itself.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 19:19   #43
BHPian

A very good first post.
Took a test drive of the Kwid recently and liked the car.

I just felt that Renault could have offered ABS on this car at least as an option for people who are willing to shell out a bit more.
vasanthsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 19:59   #44

Quote:
To each his own. But yes, as correctly pointed out by wrong turn , WagonR is still really good VFM considering all the discounts one can avail at Maruti these days. And yes, the 1L engine will definitely be a much better performer in most conditions vis-a-vis the Kwid.

I personally feel that if you plan to play safe, buy from a trusted brand and don't mind a vehicle which might be a little long in the tooth- one will stick to a WagonR / other similar products. However, if you're willing to experiment a bit and want something different/contemporary - one will go in for the Kwid.

In parallel universe, The cabin light started working miraculously ( seems that it was just a loose connection maybe) but will still get it checked when I visit the dealer to get the Reg card and new license plates. It seems that Renault is finally getting its act together - i received a courtesy call from their customer care center and 2 calls from their dealership peeps to update me on the status of the reg card and other papers. For once, i did not have to call them

Regards
AbhinavR
Abhinav R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 00:20   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav R View Post
To each his own.
Congratulations AbhinavR, wishing you and you Kwid millions of happy miles forward. I totally forgot to congratulate you earlier as I am in a serious dilemma right now as to weather buy or not buy Kwid. Apologies for starting a Kwid vs WagonR debate on your ownership thread. Your experience will definitely help a lot of folks to decide whether to go for Kwid or not. Keep sharing the experience.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote