Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 20:58   #91
BHPian
 
GKMahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 489
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek-Bharathy View Post
Congrats on your 10,000 Km milestone. I too own a Jazz VX but had opted for a manual since magic seats were not available on the CVT version. I recently did a Bangalore to Vellore ( 420 kms ) round trip highway run and the FE that she returned was around 18 Km/litre. I drove at 130 km/hr for around 50 kms ( just to hear the grunt of the engine ) and maintained 100 km /hr for the rest of the journey. This trip of 430 kms was done in 8 hours. I did not even feel the strain of the travel and really enjoyed the drive.

Only drawback was that my wife complaint of a stiff neck. She found the rear headrest not to her taste.

What is the Tyre pressure that you maintain?
Dear Vivek Bharathy,
Thanks for the nice words.
Yes the Jazz does have a nice 'voice'.
My experience is that once you touch 70 kmph, it is magical. Personally I would not recommend 100+ speeds.
Regarding the headrest, I feel your wife will have to experiment and find the optimum. We did a few long drives and nobody complained about the headrest.
Anyway, how many km has your VX run - in how much time? Just curious....

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 22:03   #92
BHPian
 
Vivek-Bharathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear Vivek Bharathy,
Thanks for the nice words.
Yes the Jazz does have a nice 'voice'.
My experience is that once you touch 70 kmph, it is magical. Personally I would not recommend 100+ speeds.
Regarding the headrest, I feel your wife will have to experiment and find the optimum. We did a few long drives and nobody complained about the headrest.
Anyway, how many km has your VX run - in how much time? Just curious....

Girish Mahajan
Hello Girish,

My VX has completed 2200 kms and in the second month of the ownership.

Regarding the headrest yes I am still yet to experiment. I also told her that she was the first person to complaint about seating comfort in jazz.
Vivek-Bharathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 02:22   #93
BHPian
 
rahulskumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mum / SanDieg
Posts: 43
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Guys,

A small update.

Crossed 6000 km last week.

Did a Pune-Mira Road (Mumbai) 160+ km drive in the morning. Left home at 5:45 am and reached at 8:35 am with a small nature call break. Cool!
First 115 km it gave FE of 23 kmpl (MID not tank-to-tank) for the full 160+ km it gave FE of 22.0 kmpl!


Girish Mahajan

Hello Girish,

At what speed are you cruising to get such amazing mileage ?
If we can get this mileage from petrol automatic, I should not be thinking of a manual one to replace my corolla ( started showing age 9 yrs + and no budget for corolla automatic )

-Rahul
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 08:04   #94
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 315
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Hello Girish,

At what speed are you cruising to get such amazing mileage ?
If we can get this mileage from petrol automatic, I should not be thinking of a manual one to replace my corolla ( started showing age 9 yrs + and no budget for corolla automatic )

-Rahul
The Khandala Ghat greatly helps the milage when going towards Mumbai. As the road is pretty wide, there is no reason to brake hard and you can literally just coast down the last 5 kms of the ghat by just letting gravity do its work and control the speed using engine braking when needed.

I have personally seen 27-29 shown on the MID (Polo TSI) when starting from Lonavala till the Khalapur toll at the base of the Ghat. Modern engines are very efficient when you have minimal throttle input.

Last edited by freedom : 6th July 2016 at 08:06.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 12:51   #95
BHPian
 
GKMahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 489
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Hello Girish,

At what speed are you cruising to get such amazing mileage ?
If we can get this mileage from petrol automatic, I should not be thinking of a manual one to replace my corolla ( started showing age 9 yrs + and no budget for corolla automatic )

-Rahul
Dear Rahul,

On most parts of the 95 km Expressway, I keep the speed around 80 kmph ~ 90 kmph.
For overtaking a 70~80 kmph vehicle, sometimes I touch 100 kmph.

I have noticed that the FE remains highest from 60 kmph to about 90 kmph. For speeds of 40~60 and 90~110 kmph there is a slight drop in the FE. However, throughout this range, it stays well above the ARAI rating of 19 kmpl.

If you are changing from a Corolla, my suggestion is that you try out Jazz and City - both - before deciding.

Girish Mahajan


Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
The Khandala Ghat greatly helps the milage when going towards Mumbai. As the road is pretty wide, there is no reason to brake hard and you can literally just coast down the last 5 kms of the ghat by just letting gravity do its work and control the speed using engine braking when needed.

I have personally seen 27-29 shown on the MID (Polo TSI) when starting from Lonavala till the Khalapur toll at the base of the Ghat. Modern engines are very efficient when you have minimal throttle input.
Dear freedom,

I agree with you. If you go through my thread, you will find that I have mentioned this too. Luckily, I find that even with the difference in climbing down 2000 ft and climbing up 2000 ft, the overall FE over 160+ km is different by 1~2 kmpl only - I guess it is the averaging effect of so many variables - traffic, road condition in the other parts of my route, ascents/descents, turns, etc etc.

Just to give you a reference, I had driven my 2006 Honda City ZX VTEC Pune > Nasik > Saptashringi Temple > Jalgaon > Aurangabad > Ajantha/Ellora > Pune. This was with 4 people and luggage in the car. My wife and I shared the driving thrill. We did about 1100 km with a FE of 19.5 kmpl! Mind you this involved all types of roads and traffic. However, most of the traveling was on good roads at steady speeds (no speeding by either of us) - we had decided that we will not cross 90 kmph even for overtaking - with most of the driving taking place at max 80 kmph. It was a phenomenal experience. I think petrol was around 67 Rs/lt or so, so the running cost came to Rs 3.44 / km!! Just as a reference, the toll cost came to Rs 0.75 per km!!

Girish Mahajan

Last edited by GKMahajan : 6th July 2016 at 12:53.
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 13:03   #96
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 315
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
However, most of the traveling was on good roads at steady speeds (no speeding by either of us) - we had decided that we will not cross 90 kmph even for overtaking - with most of the driving taking place at max 80 kmph. It was a phenomenal experience.
Girish Mahajan
+1
How I wish everyone realizes how soothing it is to put cruise control at 80 on the expressway and stick the the middle lane!! I find it a lot enjoyable to just listen to the music than drive rashly, break the speed limit and then brake like crazy every few minutes.

If I am not wrong the Jazz CVT has a instantaneous FE reading as well right? Did that shoot up to 99.x when you let go of the A pedal and let gravity+momentum do its work?
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 13:19   #97
BHPian
 
GKMahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 489
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
+1
How I wish everyone realizes how soothing it is to put cruise control at 80 on the expressway and stick the the middle lane!! I find it a lot enjoyable to just listen to the music than drive rashly, break the speed limit and then brake like crazy every few minutes.

If I am not wrong the Jazz CVT has a instantaneous FE reading as well right? Did that shoot up to 99.x when you let go of the A pedal and let gravity+momentum do its work?
Dear freedom,

I just love the feeling of 'floating' along at 80 kmph. The body and mind are totally relaxed! AND I get super FE!

Yes - Jazz has instantaneous FE. It shoots up to 50 kmpl if you lift the A pedal. Ok - let me add to that - if I am driving steady, it hovers around 24~27 kmpl - but some times on a very slight downward slope (e.g. in the area around Lonavala Khandala straight portions) I have seen 40~50 kmpl for a few kilometers at a stretch!! Now I wonder what I am doing wrong!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 14:05   #98
Newbie
 
stick&rudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Greetings Mahajan Sir! I'm new to Team BHP and wanted to convey my wholehearted thanks to you for this thread! Your detailed write-up totally helped me finalise the Jazz CVT. One month of ownership has convinced me it was a very practical and sound decision to go for it. Totally enjoying the car!
stick&rudder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 23:49   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 377
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear freedom,

I just love the feeling of 'floating' along at 80 kmph. The body and mind are totally relaxed! AND I get super FE!

Yes - Jazz has instantaneous FE. It shoots up to 50 kmpl if you lift the A pedal. Ok - let me add to that - if I am driving steady, it hovers around 24~27 kmpl - but some times on a very slight downward slope (e.g. in the area around Lonavala Khandala straight portions) I have seen 40~50 kmpl for a few kilometers at a stretch!! Now I wonder what I am doing wrong!

Girish Mahajan
Thank you Mahajan Sir for the wonderful review & for regularly updating the thread. I have driven a friend's new model petrol Jazz & took it upto 120 kmph, after which it struggled to pick up speed. Not to say we need higher speed than that in our conditions, but it is a nice & confident feeling to have some reserve power in hand which we may need sometime. What's your experience in your CVT. Does it struggle beyound 110/120 kmph & how quickly it reaches there.

I am looking for a petrol auto to replace my Verna Fluidic CRDI. I had completely written off the CVT ( City/Jazz/Baleno etc.) going by the reviews else where that these are only good for city driving. In highways, higher engine RPM do not correspond to higher speeds etc etc.....

Only cars in my mind thus are 1.2 TSI DSG Polo/Vento, which should be much more powerful & should have better ride quality ( again going by the reviews). I have a yet to TD any of these automatic cars. If 1.2 TSI DSG is way superior to Jazz CVT, I am ready to take the risk of Volkswagen ASS.

I have gone through every page of your review. And that has forced me to think of Jazz CVT. I am fan of Jazz's look & space inside. Don't need a sedan for showing off or stuffs like that. IMO Jazz is more practical than a sedan for our conditions.

Need your advise & a camparo between Jazz CVT & Polo/Vento 1.2 TSI DSG with regard to Power/performance, ease of driving in city & highways, FE, ride quality ( one of my priorities) & any other point you may feel like. Though I am in favor of a hatch now, Polo may be less on rear space, thus Vento too is in consideration.

Thanks in advance.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 07:51   #100
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 315
Thanked: 296 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post



If 1.2 TSI DSG is way superior to Jazz CVT, I am ready to take the risk of Volkswagen ASS.



Need your advise & a camparo between Jazz CVT & Polo/Vento 1.2 TSI DSG with regard to Power/performance, ease of driving in city & highways, FE, ride quality ( one of my priorities) & any other point you may feel like. Though I am in favor of a hatch now, Polo may be less on rear space, thus Vento too is in consideration.



Thanks in advance.

TSI DSG and Vtec CVT combos are completely different in behaviour. I think TSI DSG is better. Jazz will go over 120 no problem, but you won't get the 'push'. I don't know one road where you can and should be driving at 120 consistently, so don't worry.

The USP of Jazz is space. Polo doesn't even come close.

I had test driven Jazz CVT, but the Polo completely bowled me over wrt the driving experience.

Jazz CVT lacks the 'Magic Seats' which is a shame. Cost cutting is also visible in the cabin. Honda should have loaded the Jazz and priced it 10K higher.
Jazz gives you paddle shifts (Shame that POLO GT doesn't have it).

Jazz CVT won't give you a chance to complain.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 09:36   #101
BHPian
 
GKMahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 489
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Thank you Mahajan Sir for the wonderful review & for regularly updating the thread. I have driven a friend's new model petrol Jazz & took it upto 120 kmph, after which it struggled to pick up speed. Not to say we need higher speed than that in our conditions, but it is a nice & confident feeling to have some reserve power in hand which we may need sometime. What's your experience in your CVT. Does it struggle beyound 110/120 kmph & how quickly it reaches there.

I am looking for a petrol auto to replace my Verna Fluidic CRDI. I had completely written off the CVT ( City/Jazz/Baleno etc.) going by the reviews else where that these are only good for city driving. In highways, higher engine RPM do not correspond to higher speeds etc etc.....

Only cars in my mind thus are 1.2 TSI DSG Polo/Vento, which should be much more powerful & should have better ride quality ( again going by the reviews). I have a yet to TD any of these automatic cars. If 1.2 TSI DSG is way superior to Jazz CVT, I am ready to take the risk of Volkswagen ASS.

I have gone through every page of your review. And that has forced me to think of Jazz CVT. I am fan of Jazz's look & space inside. Don't need a sedan for showing off or stuffs like that. IMO Jazz is more practical than a sedan for our conditions.

Need your advise & a camparo between Jazz CVT & Polo/Vento 1.2 TSI DSG with regard to Power/performance, ease of driving in city & highways, FE, ride quality ( one of my priorities) & any other point you may feel like. Though I am in favor of a hatch now, Polo may be less on rear space, thus Vento too is in consideration.

Thanks in advance.
Dear Chitta Pradhan,

Thanks for the nice words.
I think Jazz looks better than Polo - but that is personal.
Polo pickup is far superior to Jazz - but in 8+ months of ownership - I never felt it to be inadequate.
Space inside is better in Jazz.
You say that Jazz struggled after 120 kmph. I would not recommend ANY of these cars at that speed. But still - my experience is that it can cross 120 easily - in fact once it crosses 2000 rpm (about 110 kmph) the pickup is actually phenomenal.

I have done a very small test drive of the Vento TSI - so cannot comment much on it.
On another topic, I would have taken the Magic Seat Jazz - if it had been available - but I can assure you it would have been used maximum once a year - so no loss!

My gut feeling sequence of selecting:
1. Jazz
2. Vento
3. Polo

Baaki aap samajhdar hai! Take a TD and keep taking till you are able to decide.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 13:31   #102
BHPian
 
GKMahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 489
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

An interesting update:
Today I left Pune at 5:45 am and reached Mira Road by 8:45 am.
At 7:05 I took a nature break.
The MID showed 76.6 km and 25.5 kmpl!
At Mira Road it showed 163.0 km and 22.6 kmpl!

I am mighty impressed!

By the way, another update (older):
On Friday, I drove 216 km in 7.5 hours - bad traffic most of the time and bad roads in many cases as free with it.
On Saturday, I drove 325 km.

So, you are wondering "so what?'!! The point I am making is that the CVT was poora paisa vasool! I was still fresh.
During the 325 km drive, half way - I took a TD of a used Fortuner 4x2 AT 2012 model.
At the 'almost' end of the 325 km drive, I took a TD of the manual Honda BRV.

I am very happy with the Jazz V CVT!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 14:32   #103
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 85
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
An interesting update:
Today I left Pune at 5:45 am and reached Mira Road by 8:45 am.
At 7:05 I took a nature break.
The MID showed 76.6 km and 25.5 kmpl!
At Mira Road it showed 163.0 km and 22.6 kmpl!

...
That's really impressive!

I am guessing that in your Mira Road trip, it was you alone in car and with early morning trip AC also must have been used very sparingly. Also Pune-Mumbai trip is from higher altitude to lower altitude which also might aid in this additional average. But no matter what, those are impressive numbers to be squeezed, imagine Jazz with cruise control, that would be even more fatigue free.

I have one small question to you since you are from Honda family, new City also claims 17.8 kmpl which is same as Jazz. If such is the case, then City should be preferred option with that low end grunt, additional horses, cruise control. I own Jazz VX MT, but now I think may be I should have got City SV MT.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by SDP : 25th July 2016 at 14:44. Reason: Please check inline
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 15:49   #104
BHPian
 
GKMahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 489
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
That's really impressive!

I am guessing that in your Mira Road trip, it was you alone in car and with early morning trip AC also must have been used very sparingly. Also Pune-Mumbai trip is from higher altitude to lower altitude which also might aid in this additional average. But no matter what, those are impressive numbers to be squeezed, imagine Jazz with cruise control, that would be even more fatigue free.

I have one small question to you since you are from Honda family, new City also claims 17.8 kmpl which is same as Jazz. If such is the case, then City should be preferred option with that low end grunt, additional horses, cruise control. I own Jazz VX MT, but now I think may be I should have got City SV MT.
Dear varunswnt,

Thank you!

I was alone but ACC was set at 24 C. I never put OFF the ACC.
I am totally with you on the Cruise Control bit!

I have come from Honda City ZX VTEC 2006 model (9 years usage). So, I can comment on both - City and Jazz. You should have got City (any level) CVT..

Note: you can still do it!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 10:16   #105
BHPian
 
GKMahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 489
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Interesting update:

Normally, I live in Mumbai and my family is in Pune. I visit Pune on 2nd and 4th weekends. Some times single Sundays too!
Normally, I fill petrol just before entering Pune on the Expressway. That way my running is almost consistent and I get a good picture of the FE.

Lately, I did a Pune-Mumbai-Pune one day trip with my wife. I did not fill the petrol while entering Pune.
I drove to Mumbai and did a bit of local travelling too - in Pune and Mumbai.

Yesterday, I filled petrol in Mira Road. Since last tank full the car had done 509 km. I filled 29.37 lt giving 17.3 km/lt. The MID showed 18.0 kmpl - not bad! The Range was showing 141 km. Note: I always keep ACC ON and set at 24 to 26 C.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slick - My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT urajkumar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 23rd December 2015 14:39
Honda recalls 3,879 units of the City CVT - Updated software to optimize CVT hydraulics ashwin.terminat The Indian Car Scene 6 27th October 2015 16:57
CVT version accounts for 40% of Honda Jazz bookings Aditya The Indian Car Scene 34 17th July 2015 23:25
2013 India plans for Nissan. Micra CVT, Sunny CVT, compact SUV and Datsun announced sarthakgupta The Indian Car Scene 10 24th May 2013 13:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks