Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 19:50   #16
BHPian
 
Nissan1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 381
Thanked: 724 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

You made a great choice. Fiat service stations support the Palio and spares should not be an issue. The low resale value makes Palio a very compelling buy.
I was in school when the Palio was launched and I remember reading the road test again and again, because this car was the best diesel hatchback at that time. Swift was not the omnipresent diesel hatchback- the Indica V2 wore that crown. This was the first car in its class to have drive by wire technology.
Thank you for maintaining it well. I think the cosmetics will be best handled at a FASS. There is a thread about a very elegant S10 restoration on this forum-you could have a look at that.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 1st December 2015 at 19:51.
Nissan1180 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 20:03   #17
BHPian
 
Cyberdoctorind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 182
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Congratulations on your buy. I have the same model which has done 2.05 L kms till date and still is going strong.

1. Black Smoke -- Check the air filter to start with, the fuel pump is the achillies heal for this car. Set aside some money for fuel pump recalibration if it has not be done till date. Avg approx cost will be around 20k
2. This car needs the belts / idler / tensioner bearings to be changed at 60k kms. Please check if they have been done or not. Approx cost -- 15k for a set of all bearings / belts
3. Please do not allow anyone to tinker with the wiring on this car. Any fancy accessories please make sure to tap power from the battery.
4. Change the diesel filter @ 15,000 kms and oil every 7500Kms.
5. I see the temperature in your car is the way it should and it shows that the head is clean and neat. Check the working of the HS / LS fans. With the temperature above the quarter mark the low speed fan should turn on. The fans are always ON with AC switched on.
6. Check for Back Compression. Remove the oil filler cap / dipstick and the engine should not throw out any oil / fumes. The oil consumption on this car is very less.
7. Please top up your power steering oil. Check for leakages at the rack if you notice that the oil level goes down. Generally the oil seal which connects the steering to the rack goes bad and the oil leak is not noticeable
8. Check the condition of the engine mounts if you see excessive vibrations from the engine.

The car when driven between 80 and 100 returns exceptionally good mileage. The car though bullet proof for most part does not go well with customisations etc. I have done Non Stop drives from Agra to Hyderabad only stopping for fuel and bio brakes and the car will not skip a beat if you treat it well.

Wish you all the best with the 1910 cc Palio

Best Regards
Shiva

Last edited by Cyberdoctorind : 1st December 2015 at 20:25.
Cyberdoctorind is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 21:09   #18
BHPian
 
nofear5611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 27
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

The simplicity, humility and true passion of this post is truly worth admiring. i may be assuming but you have clearly yearned for this beauty for many many years. Happy motoring.
nofear5611 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 22:42   #19
BHPian
 
dreamliner17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 80
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

A simple and straight-from-the-heart review of your Palio 1.9D! It instantly took me back into the past, to the memories of our Fiat Uno petrol 1.2 that we had in the 1990's. It was the car in which i learnt how to drive and i can easily relate to the good steering feedback and the robust driving dynamics that you experienced! In the ride department, the Palio was what the Swift or Figo is, today

Wish you a great ownership experience with the Palio 1.9D !
and for your keen observation of the hill resembling a woman !
dreamliner17 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 23:24   #20
BHPian
 
Aakarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ranchi/Dehradun
Posts: 106
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Congratulations Wildy on the acquisition of your new ride. Wish you lots and lots of safe miles. Keep updating the thread and share the upcoming experiences with all of us. Just put a coat of paint and some good looking alloys and it will certainly turn out to be a head turner.

Regards
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:02   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Nice to go through the ownership experience.
Those Wheel caps have managed to freshen up the looks of the car.

BTW, the driver side door appears to be repainted. Have you got the accident history checked out?
Guru_DTSi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:40   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Jammu
Posts: 44
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Nice review, I loved this car when it was launched, still a dream to own one, preferably in red. 1.9 naturally aspirated diesel is a workhorse, although it makes a ruckus but rest assured it will go to the 'moon and back' without any tantrums. Pls keep on sharing your ownership experience as a guide for others who are planning to buy pre owned diesels.
amit_snk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:50   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Appreciate your superb passion man! May you have a delightful experience with the Palio. Love the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Vibrations and Rattles, especially more in Idle Condition.
Get the engine and gearbox mountings checked. Also, you could've damped the doors when you removed panels for installing new speakers.
Quote:
Broken Wheel Caps
May I ask, what was the price of the new wheel caps with fiat logo?

Also, try to be gentle on the car. I mean, preserve it. As spares arent easy to come by, and some times prohibitively expensive. Eg: A front shock costs ~7000 bucks. Which is much, much higher than even ~20lac cars. The cost is mainly because most parts are imported from Brazil.

Last edited by dhanushs : 2nd December 2015 at 08:52.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:12   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Great to see your review on Palio D. It reminds me of my erstwhile Palio 1.2. I own Linea T-Jet now, but Palio still has a very special place in my heart.

It is good to see your passion for the car, and I wish you many happy years of motoring.
deepakhon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:18   #25
BHPian
 
basilmabraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SYD Downsouth
Posts: 759
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

I had a Palio 1.9D from 2004 to 2008. It was my first car. I loved the car for its simplicity. Lack of safety features was the reason I chucked it. However, still holds a special place in my heart.

Wonderful choice if car, wishing you many more miles with the car.
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:59   #26
BHPian
 
Abhi_abarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 331
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Hearty congrats Wildy on your purchase. Loved the review, plain and straight out of your heart.

I am also more or less going through a similar ownership. Bought a pre worshipped palio S10 in April and drove it from Raichur to Hyderabad. Lovely car !

Too lazy to start the ownership thread though.

Wishing you a trouble free ownership.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 14:11   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Klub Class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA17|KL65|KL41
Posts: 3,785
Thanked: 892 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Very well written review, my friend. It took me back to the days when we had a Fiat Palio 1.9D at home. Though it's known for fuel pump problems, thanfully our car never had any. It had never let us down during our long drives

Congratulations on your new purchase. Wishing you a trouble free ownership. Rating this thread a well deserved 5 stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Lack of safety features was the reason I chucked it
We're lucky enough to find a preowned Fiat Palio 1.9D ELX SP (the one with driver side airbag, ABS and EBD) almost a decade back. There are times we wish we had retained it as a second car

And talking of safety features, the rear seat belts are missing in our Fiat Palio GTX SP

Sharing a picture from my archives :

Name:  IMG_20140819_221131.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  163.3 KB
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 14:51   #28
BHPian
 
basilmabraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SYD Downsouth
Posts: 759
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
We're lucky enough to find a preowned Fiat Palio 1.9D ELX SP (the one with driver side airbag, ABS and EBD) almost a decade back. There are times we wish we had retained it as a second car
Lucky you...


This is a pic of my ride from archives:



Sorry for being
Attached Images
 
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 20:38   #29
BHPian
 
Wildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wild Planet
Posts: 193
Thanked: 620 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelnelly View Post
...For the time being, a good rub and polish can make the car look much younger till you get a full paint job although the extent of the damage is not quite visible in the photos. Do give it a try.
Thank You for your kind words Noel. I shall consider your suggestions. Regarding AC Problem, in my observation, most of the AC mechanics in my place aren't aware of the Palio mechanisms. And, some of them are greedy since its very old car. Next Service, I'm planning in Bangalore and shall look for a good mechanic there.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
Congrats on your purchase wildy. after reading your post. I relished my own experience of buying my first car, which happend to be a used Tata Sierra NA which I bought in 2001 and sold in 2003.
Thank You For your kind words Samurdra. Glad my post recollected your memories too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hey Wildy Loved reading your story! While a 11 year old Palio D may not be the most exotic car on Team BHP, the passion and love you have for your car just made every word worth reading!

The pictures of all the children having fun in and on the car - well, not sure how many members here with gleaming new rides with 3M paint sealant protection and PPF - let their children do that! But ultimately, it is how happy your car makes you! And that, your Palio sure does. It shows. Hope you have a long and trouble-free ownership experience. Keep writing.

Thank You Viju for your lovely words. Yes, the children enjoyed playing on the bonnet. But, Palio's bonnet is so strong and no harm there. I don't think current generation cars sustain that kind of abuse. BTW, I always wanted to participate more on the forums. But, due to my poor English am getting infractions more often. I don't want to lose my account and the fantastic community here just because of my stupid English. Until I learn proof reading, I restrict myself with minimum posts. But Yes, I shall update car service and other experiences. Thank You.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
....Pity that we now only see much smaller engines due to the tax laws mainly.
Thank a lot Lalvaz Yes, the Indian Gov't policies potentially ruined the automobile sector.


Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Read many reviews but your thread brought a smile on my face. Nice to see you love a pre-owned car so much.
naveenroy, Thank you for your kind words and I shall follow your suggestions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
You made a great choice. Fiat service stations support the Palio and spares should not be an issue. The low resale value makes Palio a very compelling buy.

Thanks a lot Nissan1180 for your kind words. I think Palio was mostly misunderstood car. IMO, had it been have good Fiat support/service and reasonably priced spare parts, it would have been a different story.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
.....I have the same model which has done 2.05 L kms till date and still is going strong.

1. Black Smoke -- Check the air filter to start with, the fuel pump is the achillies heal for this car. Set aside some money for fuel pump recalibration if it has not be done till date. Avg approx cost will be around 20k
2. This car needs the belts / idler / tensioner bearings to be changed at 60k kms. Please check if they have been done or not. Approx cost -- 15k for a set of all bearings / belts
3. Please do not allow anyone to tinker with the wiring on this car. Any fancy accessories please make sure to tap power from the battery.
4. Change the diesel filter @ 15,000 kms and oil every 7500Kms.
5. I see the temperature in your car is the way it should and it shows that the head is clean and neat. Check the working of the HS / LS fans. With the temperature above the quarter mark the low speed fan should turn on. The fans are always ON with AC switched on.
6. Check for Back Compression. Remove the oil filler cap / dipstick and the engine should not throw out any oil / fumes. The oil consumption on this car is very less.
7. Please top up your power steering oil. Check for leakages at the rack if you notice that the oil level goes down. Generally the oil seal which connects the steering to the rack goes bad and the oil leak is not noticeable
8. Check the condition of the engine mounts if you see excessive vibrations from the engine.....
Cyberdoctorind, Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback. It's great to know your car crossed 2 Lakh Kms. It would be great to read your detailed experience thread which could be very helpful for the newbies like me. And I shall surely follow your kind suggestions. BTW, which oil you use in your Palio? Currently, Iam using Castrol GTX. Somewhere, I read Palio D's engine is well with Mineral Oil and the oil should be changed once in 5000 kms to have a good engine life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear5611 View Post
The simplicity, humility and true passion of this post is truly worth admiring.
Thanks a lot, nofear5611

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamliner17 View Post
A simple and straight-from-the-heart review of your Palio 1.9D! It instantly took me back into the past, to the memories of our Fiat Uno petrol 1.2 that we had in the 1990's.

Thanks very much, dreamliner17 for your words and am glad to know this thread recollected your good memories with your Uno.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Congratulations Wildy on the acquisition of your new ride. Wish you lots and lots of safe miles. Keep updating the thread and share the upcoming experiences with all of us. Just put a coat of paint and some good looking alloys and it will certainly turn out to be a head turner
Thanks a lot Aakarsh. Yes, I shall give her a coat of pant and alloy wheels in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_DTSi View Post
Nice to go through the ownership experience.
Those Wheel caps have managed to freshen up the looks of the car.

BTW, the driver side door appears to be repainted. Have you got the accident history checked out?
Thank You Guru_DTSi. Police records have a clean chit on the car. And It's nearly 11 years old car and surely some abuse would have happened. The heart of the car i.e. Engine, ECU and other essentials are in good condition. So, I least bothered about the external shape of the car. An investment on body paint may fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_snk View Post
1.9 naturally aspirated diesel is a workhorse, although it makes a ruckus but rest assured it will go to the 'moon and back' without any tantrums.
Thank You amit_snk. Yes, so far the car was awesome and no letdown.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
...Also, you could've damped the doors when you removed panels for installing new speakers.
May I ask, what was the price of the new wheel caps with fiat logo?
Thank You dhanushs. Yes, damping would have been good. But, I had to focus on other essential things first. Moreover, Vitamin M problem.

Regarding wheel caps, 99 RPM selling each cap @ Rs.1117. But with the help of our Bhpian friend SunnyBoi, I fetched the last available caps from Mysore at 900 each. So, all four caps cost me Rs. 3600 + Shipping Charge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Great to see your review on Palio D. It reminds me of my erstwhile Palio 1.2. I own Linea T-Jet now, but Palio still has a very special place in my heart.
Thank You deepakhon. Wish you to have many happy miles with your T-Jet.



Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
I had a Palio 1.9D from 2004 to 2008. It was my first car. I loved the car for its simplicity. Lack of safety features was the reason I chucked it. However, still holds a special place in my heart.
Thanks a lot basilmabraham. BTW, Your car looks awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
I am also more or less going through a similar ownership. Bought a pre worshipped palio S10 in April and drove it from Raichur to Hyderabad. Lovely car !
Thank You for your lovely words, Abhi_abarth. Wishing you very best ride with your S10 and would love to read your ownership thread.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
We're lucky enough to find a preowned Fiat Palio 1.9D ELX SP (the one with driver side airbag, ABS and EBD) almost a decade back. There are times we wish we had retained it as a second car
Klub Class, Thanks a lot.

Oh my, Palio with ABS+Airbag edition has become very rare to find. If there was a chance, You surely should have kept it as a second car.
Wildy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:46   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 58
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The story of my pre-worshipped car

Hi wildy, congratulations for your Pre-worshipped Fiat. I have driven Palio couple of times but not in this particular engine. Decade ago, one of my family friend use to own Maroon Palio D. My father had told me long back that car has superb in city drivability, dynamics and terrific pick-up over his Accent 1.6 that time , unfortunately I wasn't old enough to possess valid driving licence.
Since then I was always curious to know how this naturally aspirated 1.9L high displacement engine would fare against current low displacement turbocharged engines, which are high on torque. If you can, will you please elaborate?
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch : A pre-worshipped '02 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX swiftnfurious Long-Term Ownership Reviews 70 13th July 2017 10:35
The story of true love, and a pre-worshipped W124 ayushagarwal26 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 53 13th April 2013 09:52
Bought a Pre-worshipped, Pre-team bhped Cedia-My journey from one Sport to another carfreak Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 50 18th January 2012 18:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks