Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd February 2016, 11:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ride to Glide: Maruti S-Cross 1.3 Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Front windshield coat: Can you explain what this coat does? Is it an effective solution to reduce the high beam glare at night ?

Engine RPM: Can you please share the rpm on 5th gear for the below speeds?
100, 120, 140. The reason i am asking this is what my ritz feels very strained above 120, on 4 lanes expressways i feel the car should be capable to do such speeds at ease with no strain to give a pleasant driving experience.

Please note, i don't do high speed runs unless its a proper fenced expressway with great visibility ahead.
I am answering but Ajay can give more inputs as needed.

Front windshield as seen is a 3M protective film

Engine Rpms,

@ 100km/h it is 2000
@ 120km/h it is 2200

Have not tried beyond that, due to the road conditions
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:13   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I am answering but Ajay can give more inputs as needed.

Front windshield as seen is a 3M protective film

Engine Rpms,

@ 100km/h it is 2000
@ 120km/h it is 2200

Have not tried beyond that, due to the road conditions
This is perfect for cruising and efficiency. The 1.3 MJD feels strained over 3000RPM, atleast in the Ritz. RPM @2200 for 120kmph is perfect. Thanks a lot.
Dieselritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Front windshield coat: Can you explain what this coat does? Is it an effective solution to reduce the high beam glare at night ?
Sharing my 2 cents, Ajay can add more:

The front Windshield is not a coat but a film - CR 70; it does help with reduce the night glare to some extent (as far I believe.) It does help with reducing the heat load on the AC during the day time driving. It maintains the visibility level. I have been using this since 2010 (Linea) and now with my S-cross.
sagara999 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 14:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is perfect for cruising and efficiency. The 1.3 MJD feels strained over 3000RPM, atleast in the Ritz. RPM @2200 for 120kmph is perfect. Thanks a lot.
I am sure you are aware that Ritz has the FGT version of Fiat's MJD engine, whereas S-Cross has the VGT version, 75 bhp vs 90 bhp. My RM had told me that one customer drove the 1.3 S-Cross at 160 kmph on the expressway during TD. Although the RM could be exaggerating, the 1.3 VGT engine does not feel strained for sure above sane speeds.

I have myself driven above 120 kmph on a completely empty stretch of highway in a straight line.

P.S. I am completely against driving at speeds above 100 kmph, unless its completely safe and you are driving a car that can handle such speeds.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 3rd February 2016 at 14:42.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 14:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am sure you are aware that Ritz has the FGT version of Fiat's MJD engine, whereas S-Cross has the VGT version, 75 bhp vs 90 bhp. My RM had told me that one customer drove the 1.3 S-Cross at 160 kmph on the expressway during TD. Although the RM could be exaggerating, the 1.3 VGT engine does not feel strained for sure above sane speeds.

I have myself driven above 120 kmph on a completely empty stretch of highway in a straight line.
You are right, I myself have done very much more than 120 (Do not want to mention the speed) with ease and still had enough power left on my humble swift. Could it be because of the sort of tall boy design of the Ritz?
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 15:00   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
You are right, I myself have done very much more than 120 (Do not want to mention the speed) with ease and still had enough power left on my humble swift. Could it be because of the sort of tall boy design of the Ritz?
True. Ive tried serious speeds with my first generation Swift and my friend's Ritz feels nervous in similar condition, the major reason is not the engine, but the difference in body dynamics. Its true that the FGT 1.3 become vocal after 3000 rpm.
S-Cross is designed for much higher European highway speeds, so can be confident on.
lovetorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 17:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

S-Cross brakes are phenomenal !!!

Recently, the brakes on the S-Cross got tested for an almost worst case scenario. I was driving at 80 kmph and building up speed on a dead-straight patch of road at not so peak time. The road has two lanes and most 2 wheeler riders use the left lane and 4 wheeler owners use the right one. When I was half-way on this patch, an idiotic 2 wheeler rider swayed left-right, which scared the s*** out of me. So I braked hard and the car stopped like it got sucked in the road due to strong gravity.

I then cornered the idiot and asked him why the hell was he swaying like this. He said he was adjusting the cable of his ear phones.
ajay_satpute is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 17:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
=========
I then cornered the idiot and asked him why the hell was he swaying like this. He said he was adjusting the cable of his ear phones.
Coincidentally I had same situation this morning! I was not at speed...may be it was 50-55. But thankfully, there was no vehicle behind me.
sagara999 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 09:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
As has been the norm, I swapped the stock JKs with Michelin Primacy P3STs. The JKs were bought back fro 4k INR per tyre and the Michelins costed 6,900 INR. The tyre is almost gone with the Michelins.
Ajay, which tyre dealer you went to for swap? I checked with Lokmanya and he is not giving more than 2.5k
sagara999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 10:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagara999 View Post
Ajay, which tyre dealer you went to for swap? I checked with Lokmanya and he is not giving more than 2.5k
I got it from Lokmanya. It is strange that he is not offering more than 2.5k. I got 4k per tyre when I did the swap. You can try and give him my reference and see if it works.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 10:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I got it from Lokmanya. It is strange that he is not offering more than 2.5k. I got 4k per tyre when I did the swap. You can try and give him my reference and see if it works.
He told me that the couple of replacements he did (probably including your as well), he is not able to sell those.
sagara999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 11:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagara999 View Post
He told me that the couple of replacements he did (probably including your as well), he is not able to sell those.
That is an excuse I feel. Why don't you try Darshan tyres? I have had good experience at the Baner road shop. Call them up and ask if they will do the exchange.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 11:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Recently, the brakes on the S-Cross got tested for an almost worst case scenario. I was driving at 80 kmph and building up speed on a dead-straight patch of road at not so peak time. The road has two lanes and most 2 wheeler riders use the left lane and 4 wheeler owners use the right one. When I was half-way on this patch, an idiotic 2 wheeler rider swayed left-right, which scared the s*** out of me. So I braked hard and the car stopped like it got sucked in the road due to strong gravity.

Glad to note the car handled pretty well. I think part of the credit will also go to the Michelins too.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 12:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Completed 3000 Kms on 7-Feb-2016.

Although its a good number, its not great. This car is meant to be driven and driven a lot. Everything about this car screams 'Live to Drive'. I always wanted to a Goa road trip, but I was not so confident with my previous car, Vista, which did not have any safety features. S-Cross is a perfect candidate to achieve that plan. Hoping to do a nice long road trip soon.

I have no issues to report, not even a minor scratch. Aaaall is well !
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 19:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

First puncture work on the S-Cross.

My car washer told me that there is a nail in the RHS rear tyre. I drove to the nearest Bridgestone select shop and had it checked. Indeed there was a long nail embedded tightly in the RHS rear tyre. Thankfully, there was no damage to the tyre, as I don't know when the nail entered the tyre and how long I have been driving around with it.

The tyre mechanic removed the nail and followed the standard puncture removal procedure. It was a much better experience than a road-side puncture wala, who would have said "Sir, there are 7-8 punctures and each will cost 120/- and etc etc..."

In my previous car, Vista, I encountered the first puncture at 45k KMs. Luck...what else !
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote