Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd January 2016, 21:29   #16
BHPian

Default re: Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
I have a 2011 December A Star Zxi and last month I got a day/night IRVM fixed from the MASS. The one from the previous generation Wagon RVxi is an almost direct fit. The damage to my pocket was Rs. 700/- but it has made a world of difference in my night driging. Just loving it. If possible try to get the lens / cover of the cabin lamp of the Wagon R too as the A Star lens leaves a small 2 mm gap on one side. There I have made the deal for you.
Quoting one of my posts from elsewhere on the forum with a small update. You can use the same lens from the Original A Star mirror. And yes the mirror to be used is from the Type 1 Wagon R Vxi. The one with the F10D Engine. The same mirror can be used in Alto, Alto K10 (both old and new), Estilo and Wagon R.
Ramon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 21:48   #17
BHPian

Congrats on the A Star. The A Star is a very good city car and it's reasonably practical. It's spacious when compared to an Alto, but it was priced higher. I'm kind of surprised that it only manages 9 kmpl. Is it with the 3 speed Auto?
landcruiser123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 22:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Fuel economy: The A-star AT returns 9 km/litre under our driving conditions in Bangalore (short drives, 2 or 3 trips per day). Under similar conditions, the Santro manual gives 10 km/litre and the Honda Civic manual gives 8 km/litre
Congrats on the pre-worshipped workhorse. Honestly though that fuel efficiency is really poor for such a small car .

My brand new 1486 kg Volvo V40 Petrol is returning 9.5 in the city in its run in period according to the trip computer. I'd have thought that a car that weighs <900kg with a 1 liter engine should return more.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Is it with the 3 speed Auto?
It's a 4 speed auto

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised that it only manages 9 kmpl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Honestly though that fuel efficiency is really poor for such a small car. My brand new 1486 kg Volvo V40 Petrol is returning 9.5 in the city in its run in period according to the trip computer. I'd have thought that a car that weighs <900kg with a 1 liter engine should return more.
I was pretty disappointed too since it is only about 15% more fuel efficient than the manual Civic (both driven under similar conditions). My expectations were atleast 11 km/hr on my daily runs (on the assumption that all manual Marutis give 12 km/litre in the city )
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 11:51   #20
ZMG
BHPian

Congratulations for the new automatic.

Quote:
After placing those largish L-boards to warn other motorists, we installed an aftermarket Pre-safe Anti Collision Avoidance System
Could you tell more about this please?
ZMG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 13:28   #21
BHPian

Default Re: Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic

Congrats on the car.

I have the manual one for the last 5 years, an azure grey one and I simply love it.
It is a superb car if you ignore the space(back seat) on offer. I have done long distances like Hyderabad-Kolkata, Kolkata-Bhubaneswar along with bumper to bumper traffic of Kolkata/Hyderabad and it does its duty well. Can go upto 140KMPH and can run at 100KMPH all day long.

One of those rare Maruti cars that was actually put together well. You will find the rattles a lot less compared to a WagonR or an Alto of same year. Plastics are decent too.
Wishing you a fuss-free ownership.

Last edited by saion666 : 4th January 2016 at 13:29.
saion666 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 14:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

My A star automatic was never used on highways. I used it finally giving other cars a break and was surprised with the drive. I thought it was going to be under powered but was no problem on NH4. The steering feel at high speeds was good
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 13:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgrades!

I now have 7 inch rear view mirror monitor with bluetooth, USB Mp3/video playback and colour camera. This is a clip-on gadget (attached to existing RVM) that acts as a normal rear view mirror when not in operation. It is not as reflective as the standard rear view mirror - hence high beam at night from traffic following the car do not affect my eyes.

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-dsc02102.jpg

The only problem with Mp3 playback (USB input, FM output) is that the playlist affects the rear view after dark. I haven't tried out bluetooth and video playback and I don't intend to use them either.

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-dsc02087.jpg

A single colour camera installed above the number plate.

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-dsc02107.jpg

The rear camera and display gets activated when I shift to "R".

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-dsc02105.jpg

There is decent clarity even at night, with little or no ambient lighting. Works quite well with just reverse lamps of the car.

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-dsc02090.jpg

Total cost for the rear view mirror display + colour camera + installation =Rs. 5,200.

Now, my 11 month old daughter gets cranky in the car during night drives. Since the A-star doesn't have a rear lamp, I have installed LED DRLs at all four footwells.

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-dsc02079.jpg

Now the little girl can see her mum's face and does not cry after dark! It looks a bit disco-like from the above photo, but the ambient lighting is very subtle inside the car.

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-dsc02082.jpg

Total cost for 2 pairs of LED DRLs + Switch + Installation = Rs. 2,000

Next, I got a pair of JBL CX-S697 speakers installed as I was not happy with the stock speakers. The sound clarity & treble at both high and low volume is quite decent now, but bass is not impressive. I need a sub-woofer!

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-dsc02112.jpg

Since the speakers are mounted on a custom parcel tray, the access to the boot now looks like a rabbit's burrow

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-dsc02111.jpg

Total cost for JBL speakers + parcel tray + installation = Rs. 5,200

Ride Quality & Fuel Efficiency Updates:

Since we are taking the A-star on longer city drives, fuel efficiency has improved to 10 kmpl. To take advantage of this, and to solve the bumpy ride issue, I'm now running 28 PSI at the front and 25 PSI at the rear. Now the A-star pretty much glides over everything (even deep potholes and ruts), with the rubber absorbing all the shocks.

Since there is not much weight at the back, the rear tyres at 25 PSI doesn't "look" stressed.

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-dsc02098.jpg

At 28/25 PSI, the car is running approximately 10 kms less on a full tank.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 16:01   #24
BHPian

Based on @Rajeevraj's advice and your experience detailed here I too recently picked up a used A-star Automatic for my wife. Its a 2012 model driven only about 17K. However right now its just parked in the garage since the seller immediately went abroad and we are still waiting for the Clearance Certificate so we can apply for a transfer. The insurance (Bajaj Allianz) said they won't cover for any damage till the name transfer is initiated.

The previous owner had little interest in his car and was not an auto enthusiast at all so all my questions to him drew a blank. While taking a test drive I was adjusting the seat height and he was telling how to move the seat back and forth - he did not even know it had a height adjustment option. Then I asked him about ABS and he was like what? That's when I decided to shut my mouth and look for answers myself

You've done some good modifications there and I too will be looking into some of my own down the line. Right now I had few questions about this car.
  1. It appears like the car does not have rear door speakers installed by default? One of these days I will pop open the rear door and check. I plan to install a set of speakers here. Any particular reason why you chose the parcel tray instead of rear door speakers?
  2. The installed music player has a USB input as well so I may leave it as-is. But in case I want to change it I'd need a face plate kit. Not sure where to source this from.
  3. Is it possible to buy a rear parcel shelf? The car is missing one and the previous owner had no inkling about it.
sanspatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 16:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
  1. It appears like the car does not have rear door speakers installed by default? One of these days I will pop open the rear door and check.
  2. The installed music player has a USB input as well so I may leave it as-is. But in case I want to change it I'd need a face plate kit. Not sure where to source this from.
  3. Is it possible to buy a rear parcel shelf? The car is missing one and the previous owner had no inkling about it.
1) I think the car has rear speakers. The audio out sounds decent, and I am continuing with the stock speakers.

2) Dont you have the stock HU ? My HU is stock, but no USB .. only Aux in :(

3) Did you check with MASS for the parcel shelf ?
The AT version did not come with parcel shelf. No idea why.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 17:09   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
1)

There was an upgraded A star AT with beige interiors and USB port launched in 2012. I also have an older 2010 A star with only Aux in and no parcel tray in my car.
ToyotaFan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 17:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
1) I think the car has rear speakers. The audio out sounds decent, and I am continuing with the stock speakers.
I hope you are right about the rear door speakers and its just a wiring issue - won't have to buy a pair of speakers then. However the reviewer here (A-star Automatic: Features review, EDIT: Mileage Updated) (see description before 4th picture) has stated that only front door comes with speakers. This weekend I will pop open the doors and check.

Quote:
I have the stock HU and it comes with CD/AUX/USB. I too saw other pictures here on teambhp with only CD/AUX and I was pleasantly surprised. Another difference I noticed is that our car has a split rear seat.

Quote:
Come to think of it I won't bother since the boot is already small and having the shelf makes it even more cramped.
sanspatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 17:30   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
There was an upgraded A star AT with beige interiors and USB port launched in 2012.
Wasnt aware .. thanks !

Quote:
I hope you are right about the rear door speakers and its just a wiring issue - won't have to buy a pair of speakers then. However the reviewer here (A-star Automatic: Features review, EDIT: Mileage Updated) (see description before 4th picture) has stated that only front door comes with speakers. This weekend I will pop open the doors and check.
Ok - now you have me in a slight spin . Wonder if the prev owner of our car added the speakers ?

There is a button on the right of the CD slot. (has the symbol of a musical note). Press that - it will toggle you through various output settings. As you keep pressing that, you should go to the BAL and then the FADER option. Try to set the Fader to R. You will know if you have rear speakers or not.

Quote:
I have the stock HU and it comes with CD/AUX/USB. I too saw other pictures here on teambhp with only CD/AUX and I was pleasantly surprised. Another difference I noticed is that our car has a split rear seat.
Lucky you ! I guess I should have done more research before buying. I picked up the first good one, which was a company maintained Nov-2011.

Quote:
Come to think of it I won't bother since the boot is already small and having the shelf makes it even more cramped.
It is not about space, but it helps to hide the stuff that is placed in the boot.

Btw, when you change tyres, move to 175/65 R14. Makes a difference !
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 19:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Ok - now you have me in a slight spin . Wonder if the prev owner of our car added the speakers ?
Either that or MUL decided to cut cost and remove the rear door speakers

Quote:
There is a button on the right of the CD slot. (has the symbol of a musical note). Press that - it will toggle you through various output settings. As you keep pressing that, you should go to the BAL and then the FADER option. Try to set the Fader to R. You will know if you have rear speakers or not.
Yes, I did this and it's how I figured out that there was no sound from the rear.

Quote:
Lucky you ! I guess I should have done more research before buying. I picked up the first good one, which was a company maintained Nov-2011.
Just luck - I too didn't do such minute research. I was looking for a relatively new AT. Got hold of a late 2012 (registered in 2013) model.

Quote:
It is not about space, but it helps to hide the stuff that is placed in the boot.
Agreed. Also its convenient to place stuff on it. I'll check with the service center and buy one if its not too expensive.

Quote:
Btw, when you change tyres, move to 175/65 R14. Makes a difference !
Thanks for the tip. Since the car is lightly used (17K) and I expect my wife will not be driving much it'll be a while before the next tire change.
sanspatil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 19:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Agreed. Also its convenient to place stuff on it. I'll check with the service center and buy one if its not too expensive.

It should be within 1500/- I had bought one for my car which I ended up using only for a month as I later added rear speakers and needed a different shelf
slicvic is online now   Reply With Quote