Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th January 2016, 17:47   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Interlude | A Stitch in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Congrats buddy!! When are you planning for remap? I had read in code 6 fb page that they have 150 bhp/395nm map for 1.6 S Cross
Yep, saw that

To me, more than the numbers, the drive-ability matters. Of course, that can only happen, with inputs from my side. So, i am planning to spend good time in refining the tunes and customizing to my taste with a eye of safety limits of the Engine.

Planning the remap by 4000 kms / 3 months which ever is earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Even though this particular issue mentioned here shouldn't be the decider, still I wanted to make sure, I am not going with a known bug (I am a software engg )
Definitely not something, that would deter any prospect from buying this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Sorry for being late to the party. Heartiest Congratulations for writing such an awesome ownership report. Still haven't read the whole thing, but loved each and every bit of whatever I have been able to read till now.

Since you have upgraded to 17 inch wheels, did you face any issue when putting the 17" wheel in the boot?? Also, have you upgraded all 5 wheels or just 4??

Regards,
Shashi
Hey, Thanks Shashi.

I have only upgraded 4 wheels to 17". The one in the boot is OEM tyres and Size.

The International Model comes with 17" Rims, hence it is most likely that the wheel well can accommodate 17" Rims. However this is only theory!, i haven't tried it.

Last edited by Mi10 : 25th January 2016 at 18:10.
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 18:46   #137
Senior - BHPian

Default Milestones | First 1000 kms up

Day 55 (Mon, 25th Jan 2016)

Despite my hectic schedule on office front, i did manage to cross my first milestone in S Cross - 1000 kms up.

I would like to highlight two important things that i had promised to come back during my early stages of review.

Braking: Phenomenal - However i would still give 30% Credit to the Tyres. The Tyres compliment the overall braking pretty effectively. The Brakes have settled in with Crisp bite and Nice Modulation. Have tried braking from Triple Digits too, and i think it is well above any Maruti you would have witnessed.
it is almost there on par with Rapid / Vento, maybe a tad wanting in terms of progression.

City Driving: In third and fourth gear, below 1500 rpm, S Cross feels like a huge reptile, which had just finished its Lunch. There is a huge difference between 3rd-4th and 1st and 2nd gear both below 1500 rpm. While the Turbo lag isn't really worrisome in first and second, it does nerve you a bit in third and fourth. The only option is to downshift if you want to make faster progress. Other than that, the Car is extremely flickable for its weight and proportions. It is almost like driving is large Swift and one can chuck around the corners at will (Just be vary of that understeer)

An overall summary for you:
Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!-scross-1k-kms.jpg

Note:
  • Mileage stated is combined Average (25% Highway + 75% City)
  • 0-100 timings measured on Phone stop watch; Have ordered for BT OBD scanner
  • Max RPM shifts achieved in each gear (except 6th)
Mi10 is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 23:28   #138
BHPian

Default re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!

What was the speed like in 5th gear at 4250 rpm? I've not tried above 3000 rpm yet in my 1.6
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 21:18   #139
BANNED

Hey Mi 10, have you done the hub ring addition? After seeing you post, I did few searches, and here the outcome:
The OEM alloy wheel hub dia is 60.5mm, whereas most of the Momo wheel hub dia is 72.2mm (must be same for yours as well). Its suggested to have hub ring in that case. I haven't observed any vibration in regular speed, and unable to go for any highway cruising yet to see any vibration at serious speed. Looking forward for your update to take a decision .
Thanks in advance.
lovetorque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 16:49   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorque View Post
Hey Mi 10, have you done the hub ring addition? After seeing you post, I did few searches, and here the outcome:
The OEM alloy wheel hub dia is 60.5mm, whereas most of the Momo wheel hub dia is 72.2mm (must be same for yours as well). Its suggested to have hub ring in that case. I haven't observed any vibration in regular speed, and unable to go for any highway cruising yet to see any vibration at serious speed. Looking forward for your update to take a decision .
Thanks in advance.
Hey, thanks for that info.

Yes, i have added the hub ring. however, i haven't got a chance to take her out on highways post that. Hopefully, should report back by Feb second week.
Mi10 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 11:48   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Hey, thanks for that info.

Yes, i have added the hub ring. however, i haven't got a chance to take her out on highways post that. Hopefully, should report back by Feb second week.
Hi a quick check will the hub rings be easily available with dealers? Still waiting for the car. I am getting alloys and tyres from Star Wheels Gurgaon. One more question; does the car need a run in for 1000 or so kms where one has to watch the rpm needle or can one go all out from the get go; also even if not advised by the company is there any particular run in that is generally advisable?

Thanks!

Last edited by speed crusader : 29th January 2016 at 11:51.
speed crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 12:19   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed crusader View Post
Hi a quick check will the hub rings be easily available with dealers? Still waiting for the car. I am getting alloys and tyres from Star Wheels Gurgaon.
Yep should be available will most dealers who deal with aftermarket alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed crusader View Post
One more question; does the car need a run in for 1000 or so kms where one has to watch the rpm needle or can one go all out from the get go; also even if not advised by the company is there any particular run in that is generally advisable?

Thanks!
My concept behind Running in a new car - patched below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3890658
Old 2nd February 2016, 05:47   #143

Default Re: Chapter 3.1: Shoes does matter!

Quote:
Day 38 (Fri, 08th Jan 2016)

A man carries his clothes; the shoes carry a man

Attachment 1458808
Two important parameters to look for Width and Sidewall
Does the 225/50/17 setup affect the warranty? If I am not planning for a remap would you suggest sticking with 205/60/16 or 215/55/16. Comfort, noise and performance, in that order, are key criteria for me. And am going nuts deciding on the alloy and rubber upgrade.

Quote:
Day 38 (Fri, 08th Jan 2016)
Tyre selection

My first encounter with Hankook started way back in 2012. Ever since i replaced the stock with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (stock size - 195/55/15), my life around a corner was never the same. Each tyre offers a different value proposition. Some are aimed at comfort, some are aimed at Noise reduction, Some longer life and a few on Grip level. The Hankook Ventus v12 does one thing so good that you can easily forgive the other aspects like Noise and Life. Phenomenal grip and just incorrigible for a spin, however hard you try. My friend had these on Figo and later on Swift each time, I drive a car with these on, the drive is elevated to a different platform altogether!

Attachment 1458796
Notice the difference from stock tyre - JK Elanzo. 205/60 vs 225/50

My rapid, unfortunately didn’t have size from Ventus V12. Hence I opted for the Ventus V8, however don’t get fooled by their first name. They are not in the league of the top rung V12 at all!

I was offered Conti Sports Contact 5, Michilen XM and Hankook V12. Without taking a fraction of a second, I opted for V12. This has a superb tread pattern too.

Buyback for my stock tyre and OEM alloy came to 30 grand.
Alloys cost me 36 grand
Tyres cost me 48 grand

But this pic - Priceless
Attachment 1458809
Am being offered Michelin P3ST and Conti MC5. Would I really lose on the grips front(stock JK Elanzo-NXT are supposedly off-on-road tyres, whatever that means, in keeping with the crossover positioning of scross) for the rare off road requirement. The hills and villages in Maharashtra tend to have the sticky red mud.

Also 30k buyback for stock alloys and tyres is great. I am getting just about 16k for tyres and 10k for alloys add a standard wherever I asked.

Mumbai folks, help please with any references
shalabh_sahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:13   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalabh_sahai View Post
Does the 225/50/17 setup affect the warranty? If I am not planning for a remap would you suggest sticking with 205/60/16 or 215/55/16. Comfort, noise and performance, in that order, are key criteria for me. And am going nuts deciding on the alloy and rubber upgrade.
If you are not planning on remap, i would suggest you to stick with 16 inchers.

215/55 will slightly better stance and better braking (depending on your choice of tyres) however, the OEM 205/60 size would have slightly faster acceleration and somewhat better mileage figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalabh_sahai View Post
Am being offered Michelin P3ST and Conti MC5. Would I really lose on the grips front(stock JK Elanzo-NXT are supposedly off-on-road tyres, whatever that means, in keeping with the crossover positioning of scross) for the rare off road requirement. The hills and villages in Maharashtra tend to have the sticky red mud.
Don't choice your tyres for one rare occassion. Your choice should be derived from your most used road / pattern. on side note, If you are planning for some off road / kutcha road drives, stick with oem size. It is a bad idea to go low profile for such roads.

P3ST must be softer than the MC5. Check with the users using these tyres and their patter / road usage before taking the plunge. I have so far heard above average reviews for MC5 (for other cars). None of my friends have p3ST, so i don't know about their performance
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:50   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Don't choice your tyres for one rare occassion. Your choice should be derived from your most used road / pattern. on side note, If you are planning for some off road / kutcha road drives, stick with oem size. It is a bad idea to go low profile for such roads.

P3ST must be softer than the MC5. Check with the users using these tyres and their patter / road usage before taking the plunge. I have so far heard above average reviews for MC5 (for other cars). None of my friends have p3ST, so i don't know about their performance
Agree 100% if you are not going to be doing much offroading or travelling on village routes, then no need for a hard tyre like JK. As for the Continentals, I feel the main competitors are the Michelin P3ST, and the Yokohama Decibels. The Yokos are the least silent of the comfort tyre bunch (goes without saying that it's still a lot more silent than other tyres) but offer the best grip in both dry and wet conditions. The Continentals are the comfiest of the lot but performance does not match the price you pay. The Michelins are the best of both worlds and absolutely worth every penny you pay

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd February 2016 at 12:51.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:08   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Managed to check this yesterday. The Hub rings surely iron out the vibrations that were earlier felt. There might still be some mild vibrations occasionally, but i feel that is more from the overall car itself than something specific to the alloys. So nothing to worry
Old 3rd February 2016, 21:26   #147
BANNED

Quote:
Managed to check this yesterday. The Hub rings surely iron out the vibrations that were earlier felt. There might still be some mild vibrations occasionally, but i feel that is more from the overall car itself than something specific to the alloys. So nothing to worry
That's cool. Just a query, did you use plastic or aluminium hub ring? Planning to have it by weekend.
lovetorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 15:52   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's cool. Just a query, did you use plastic or aluminium hub ring? Planning to have it by weekend.
Mine is a hard plastic. Aluminium would be nice too
Old 4th February 2016, 15:58   #149
BHPian

Mi10, can you please tell me the engine oil quantity required the 1.6?
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 14:25   #150
BHPian

Hello Mi10!! I have been a silent reader of your thread till date. Many congratulations on your beautiful ride and many thanks for being an awesome inspiration for me to go for the same car!!!

I will be getting my S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 in a couple of weeks and you and your thread was one of the most important reasons for me to go with this model and not the DDiS 200 variant.

I actually have a doubt regarding the engine protection that is provided in the S-Cross 1.6. I thought there is a metal sheet covering the bottom of the engine bay completely something that the DDiS 200 did not have. Even the Team BHP review said that the floor cannot be seen through the engine bay. When I was doing the PDI, I saw some open area below the engine. RM said, it was necessary for the air flow, etc. Even though that seemed logical, I was confused by the conflict between what I saw and what is mentioned in the reviews. Can you please clarify?

Last edited by Vigkey : 5th February 2016 at 14:37.
Vigkey is offline   Reply With Quote