Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2016, 13:01   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 1,413 Times
Default Re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Just curious on how is the NVH and overall refinement post the remap. I tend to believe that the OEM knows best regarding the optimum setting for a car. I understand that optimum doesn't always mean the best performance but in terms of NVH & refinement can you really better the OEM setting?
OEM setting is always the more balanced and optimum for any car. Obviously the car makers know a lot more than we all combined together and they of course have the best of testing and tuning equipments under one roof.

Life is always about letting go of some things to hook up with few things. It ain't different for cars too. When you are looking for Power or Mileage or Handling, you do tilt the equilibrium. Hence the aftermath of lower reliability or higher service costs or bad ride quality will always accompany. However, all depends on to what range and extent you are willing to sacrifice one for the other.

Remap for performance will obviously affect other parameters - however it also depends on each car. The Rapid, for example became more gruff and vocal after some insane tune (145 Whp / 351 Nm). However on a more milder (136 Whp / 331 Nm) it was much more bearable! So it depends on the range you want to push it.

S Cross is not running anything even remotely close to aggressive or wild map. Hence i am not able to find any difference in NVH. However, we are slowly but steadily progressing towards some nice power and torque levels, i will keep things posted on the same. Cheers
Mi10 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 15:18   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 1,413 Times
Default Chapter 4: Modifications | Aesthetics - Eyes of Aggression

Day 94 (Fri, 4th March 2016)

Headlights of a car are like Eyes to a face. How many times do we adore our favorite personalities / Celebrities just due to their eyes. Some of very attractive looking eyes in my list would be;

Male:
  1. Anthony Hopkins
  2. Pierce Brosnan
  3. Rajinikanth
  4. Hrithik Roshan
  5. Virat Kohli

Female:
  1. Elizabeth Taylor
  2. Priyanka Chopra
  3. Celina Jaitley
  4. Sunny Leone (You read that right)
  5. my Ex Girl friend

Eyes lend lot more than personality to the subject. They tend to infuse a dash of character! Most established car makers are very critical in designing their eyes of the car. Because these do influence the way people perceive the character of the car to an extent. Be it the BMW with Cat eyes, The Audi's with Razor sharp optics or the newer Benz which scream 'Look at me, i can be fast too'

Suzuki India has usually been very conservative and even bordering on horrendous looking (Read Estilo, A Star) headlights. However, the new Baleno and the recent Vitara Brezza have been quite radical in this regard. The S Cross Alpha (Top Variant) come with Projectors which does inject some attitude in the otherwise bland design. However, lower / Mid variants pack a bulky halogen reflector arrangement that brings down the appeal of the car.

After the difficulty i faced, trying to source the OEM Projectors, i made up my mind to go the aftermarket way. My only considerations are:
  • Good Reliability
  • No Compromise in Lighting
  • A Good to Look feel

After speaking to an associate of Xenonplanet.in (Shyam from Bangalore), i decided on the following stuff
  • OEM Hella E55 Projector
  • Custom Painted Shroud
  • 55W Ballasts
  • CnD2S 4300k Bulbs


I didn't want the car to look full ricer and hence, strict NO to red blue green colored eyes! However, there needed to be mi10's touch .

Going full black is too common these days, hence i thought to sticking to subtle painting to the inners of the HL, Shroud and the Solenoid.
  • The Inner Chrome patterns were treated with Matt Black - this is to match with the cladding running around the car
  • The Inner Shroud was painted Gloss Black - This reflects the Chrome Reflectors and creates a Polished Gun Metal type effect (Guess they call it Black Chrome)
  • The Solenoid face was painted with Bright Red - This will create an extremely subtle Red hue when the lights on not powered. Only Visible around the Twilight Zone.

Some Bad quality pics for you

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!-img20160304wa0005.jpg
Hella E55 with CCFL

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!-img20160304wa0007.jpg
Without the Outer Glass

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!-img20160304wa001901.jpeg
Notice the Outer and Inner Chrome - now in Matt Black

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!-img20160304wa002101.jpeg
The Gloss Black Shroud and Reflector create a semi - Blackened Feel

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!-img20160304wa001801.jpeg
Scarecrow - She looks lovely, isn't she ?

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!-img20160304wa002301.jpeg
Looks like an able replacement for the actual scarecrow in Farms and Field

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!-img20160305wa000201.jpeg
That's how nice they look, when you know Photoshop

I will post some night shots on the functional part of the story sometime this week.

PS: My HTC One Conked off - Will get some Quality pictures over this weekend

Last edited by Mi10 : 7th March 2016 at 15:24.
Mi10 is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 10:50   #198
BHPian
 
Sree73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 389
Thanked: 385 Times
Default Re: Chapter 4: Modifications | Aesthetics - Eyes of Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Day 94 (Fri, 4th March 2016)

I will post some night shots on the functional part of the story sometime this week.
This upgrade looks wonderful. The projector lamps really changes the character of the car. You have done umpteen upgrades so far on your car.

Just wanted to know two things.
1. In the upgrade, did you cut any wires?, which actually has an adverse effect on warranty.
2. What was the total cost of this upgrade?
Sree73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 18:48   #199
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 1,413 Times
Default Re: Chapter 4: Modifications | Aesthetics - Eyes of Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
This upgrade looks wonderful. The projector lamps really changes the character of the car. You have done umpteen upgrades so far on your car.

Just wanted to know two things.
1. In the upgrade, did you cut any wires?, which actually has an adverse effect on warranty.
2. What was the total cost of this upgrade?
Thanks.

1. I don't remember cutting any wires. Usually, being maruti, there is a more liberty when it comes to honoring warranty (when you compare Skoda or a VW)
2. Around 24k all inclusive
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 14:05   #200
BHPian
 
petroguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 302
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!

Mi10,
Your ride looks cool with the new headlamps. If I'm not mistaken, I think I spotted you this morning near the Velachery bridge.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 15:46   #201
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Question Re: Chapter 4: Modifications | Aesthetics - Eyes of Aggression

Dear friends, this is my first post after being accepted in to this graceful car-loving community. I've booked a S-Cross 1.6 Delta Brown (literally had to stay away from Alpha/Zeta due to the unpleasant looking Stock Alloys). I'm doing heavy mods (but within warranty terms).

I initially thought to upgrade to 17", but after consultation with Deepak (TyreStore) and with Nexa, settling with 16" Momo Revenge (Matt Anthracite, even if it will not dwell with the brown color) alloy. I'm confused whether to pickup Michelin P3ST (205) and Conti MC5 (225). I've a strong liking to wide tyres, but the brand name of Michelin keeps kicking Conti out of my mind. Please advise.
raajj354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 16:47   #202
BHPian
 
Mafioso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!

That's quite a lot of modifications for a new car! And the stuff you have put on Rapid also seems very impressive. Now that you have spent time with your new car, what do you suggest is better? Rapid or S-Cross?
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 08:52   #203
BHPian
 
Alisiddiqui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 84
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Not sure if you read my review in first page - because it exactly is about the predicament i faced after losing my rapid and what made me choose this car.



For Vento / Rapid:
  • Build Quality, Fit and Finish
  • Paint Quality
  • Superb Gearboxes - Manual and DSG
  • Steering Feedback
  • Boot Space



For Scross 1.6:
  • Interior Space and Ergonomics
  • Large Car with Big GC (over the former)
  • Ride Quality
  • more Reliable and cheaper to own
  • Reasonable Off-road potential



Even-Steven:
  • Handling & Dynamics
  • Braking
  • Power



Thanks for the response. TD the S cross again and while my requirement was of an AT would look past if the engine 320 was super. Came back unimpressed, logs of lag and the steering is actually dead. More than weight of the steering, what matters to me is how it responds and the s cross' is always a second behind and thus requiring correction almost always.

TD the creta and have booked one too. Given the waiting period, still have time to consider other cars. And frequenting tbhp a lot and bothering fellow bhpians . Chow
Alisiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 09:07   #204
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,009
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Thanks for the response. TD the S cross again and while my requirement was of an AT would look past if the engine 320 was super. Came back unimpressed, logs of lag and the steering is actually dead. More than weight of the steering, what matters to me is how it responds and the s cross' is always a second behind and thus requiring correction almost always.

TD the creta and have booked one too. Given the waiting period, still have time to consider other cars. And frequenting tbhp a lot and bothering fellow bhpians . Chow
That's odd. The S-Cross may not have impressive steering feel since it is a basic eps, but the steering response and accuracy is great. Seems funny to me that you booked the Creta after claiming that S-Cross' steering required "correction almost always"
IshaanIan is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 11:30   #205
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 1,413 Times
Default Re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Mi10,
Your ride looks cool with the new headlamps. If I'm not mistaken, I think I spotted you this morning near the Velachery bridge.
Oh Yeah! It was me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajj354 View Post
I initially thought to upgrade to 17", but after consultation with Deepak (TyreStore) and with Nexa, settling with 16" Momo Revenge (Matt Anthracite, even if it will not dwell with the brown color) alloy. I'm confused whether to pickup Michelin P3ST (205) and Conti MC5 (225). I've a strong liking to wide tyres, but the brand name of Michelin keeps kicking Conti out of my mind. Please advise.
If you like Fat tyres, go for 225 section. You ll love the rear stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
That's quite a lot of modifications for a new car! And the stuff you have put on Rapid also seems very impressive. Now that you have spent time with your new car, what do you suggest is better? Rapid or S-Cross?
Rapid and S Cross are very different cars to be frank. It is very easy to get fooled by S Cross's rather sober demeanor.
While the Rapid is quicker off the blocks till 120, the S Cross comes into picture post that mark. After that point, S Cross generates incredible pace and you'll be found wanting for skill, if you are not an expert hand behind the wheels.
Rapid is built as a excellent Driver package. While the Driver experiences all the fun, the rest of the passengers may not be i full accord with it.
The S Cross is fast Family Tourer - Exceptional rear seat comfort even in high speed, Ride quality over broken roads, and good handling makes it a well rounded package for entire family.

Usually, if i am not able to connect with the car, i ll sell it off pretty soon. But looks like the Scarecrow is here to stay for a long long time
Mi10 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 00:17   #206
BHPian
 
Alisiddiqui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 84
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That's odd. The S-Cross may not have impressive steering feel since it is a basic eps, but the steering response and accuracy is great. Seems funny to me that you booked the Creta after claiming that S-Cross' steering required "correction almost always"

Surprisingly creta felt good and very unlike Hyundai. We often joked too that they've pimped the TD cars or maybe building them in someone else's factory. But definitely felt better than the s cross. And with time on hand, will try it further to be sure of what I'm getting into.
Alisiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 00:23   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mlore/Kasaragod
Posts: 1,488
Thanked: 2,230 Times
Default Re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Surprisingly creta felt good and very unlike Hyundai. We often joked too that they've pimped the TD cars or maybe building them in someone else's factory. But definitely felt better than the s cross. And with time on hand, will try it further to be sure of what I'm getting into.
Seriously?? This is the first time I hear someone say creta's handling is better than s cross. I suspect something wrong with s cross TD car rather than pimped up TD creta. You seriously need to drive both cars back to back. I have driven both and I can say s cross handling is way better than softly sprung creta.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 12th March 2016 at 00:28.
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 00:31   #208
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default Re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Seriously?? This is the first time I hear someone say creta's handling is better than s cross. I suspect something wrong with s cross TD car rather than pimped up TD creta. You seriously need to drive both cars back to back. I have driven both and I can say s cross handling is way better than softly sprung creta.
That may be because, while one may look at a suspension which is tuned for driving and handling; the other is tuned for comfort. But at the cost of comfort, Creta I think is not that soft, as the other Hyundais. (Which may be the point OP might have felt). Though it may not handle like the S-Cross, but for a long distance road trip, its good and not too soft.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 00:38   #209
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mlore/Kasaragod
Posts: 1,488
Thanked: 2,230 Times
Default Re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That may be because, while one may look at a suspension which is tuned for driving and handling; the other is tuned for comfort. But at the cost of comfort, Creta I think is not that soft, as the other Hyundais. (Which may be the point OP might have felt). Though it may not handle like the S-Cross, but for a long distance road trip, its good and not too soft.
Yes, creta is stiffer than other Hyundai cars. I was comparing it with s cross here. Creta might not be bad in handling, but s cross is ages ahead. Steering response, grip, body control etc is definitely better in s cross while creta has a better ride at slow speeds.
Cheers
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:56   #210
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Chapter 4: Modifications | Aesthetics - Eyes of Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Day 94 (Fri, 4th March 2016)

Headlights of a car are like Eyes to a face...
Yes indeed, and in your case the eyes are pretty striking too. By the way your scarecrow has really nice shoes as well. In case you are wondering, I was the one driving the black TUV in front of you this evening just as you were passing through the Radial road from Pallavaram to OMR. I guess you passed me just as we were crossing the Shell Petrol Bunk. I rolled down to wave, but you zipped past before that.
And as a fellow BHPian may I request you to remove the seat plastic wraps, I have read some unconfirmed reports that these seat wraps emit toxic fumes when parked under the sun for long due to the high temperatures inside the car and this poses health hazard.

Happy driving! Cheers!
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Zeta - The A350 cometh! pannags Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 36 9th November 2016 17:39
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha sandygordon Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 145 4th November 2016 10:24
Remapped VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI: 134 BHP, 320 Nm, 0 - 100 in 8.8 seconds brraj Modifications & Accessories 82 20th June 2016 18:02
economy diesel duel: Maruti Ritz DDiS vs Suzuki Swift DDis vs Vista quadrajet aura. s_pphilip Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 29th October 2009 09:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks