Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th September 2006, 11:55   #151
Senior - BHPian

Anybody from team-bhp trading in their OHC vtecs for the new Verna crdi ???

Sure would like to see GTO's answer to this.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 11:56   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
The only thing i didnt like about Verna....Gear shifts not slick n the lever is Aveo ish...
the shift made loud noises that my 4 year old accent still does not.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 12:08   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal
the shift made loud noises that my 4 year old accent still does not.
That's surprising. May be a problem with that particular car. Autocar has termed its gearshift one of the best in the business. Check the link:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/ne...article/241632

"While overtaking on the highway, you will find the need for quick gearshifts while on the subject of gear change, the shift is really good, slots easily and is very smooth."

It's a quote from the article for the petrol version.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 12:35   #154
Team-BHP Support

Installing a climate control system on a car with AC and Heater requires about 400-500rs extra from the manufacturor side, or if you go for real sophisticated and expensive ICs, about 1200rs more, wonder why then it is such a fuss?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 12:49   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Anybody from team-bhp trading in their OHC vtecs for the new Verna crdi ???
I dont think so, the heavy breathing at 7000 rpm in the OHC VTEC is really intoxicating, and something tough to find on any diesel car, even one as powerful as the Verna.

On the other hand, the torque-surge on the Verna could be equally addictive - have to drive one to see if it matches the 24 kgm figures.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 13:22   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Installing a climate control system on a car with AC and Heater requires about 400-500rs extra from the manufacturor side, or if you go for real sophisticated and expensive ICs, about 1200rs more, wonder why then it is such a fuss?
If it is that cheap , then maybe therein lies the reason. Manufacturers add on a cheap-to-install-feature in 'higher' models and charge more for something it since it has a perceived premium value. Kudos to MUL for being the first to raise the bar with the Swift.
I, personally, am addicted to climate control and will be a must have for any subsequent cars that I buy.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 13:45   #157
Senior - BHPian

Another thought. Before people bash Hyundai for the lack of Climate control, look at the NHC, Optra, Fiesta, and even Cedia. Do any of these cars have Climate control..? Heck, the NHC doesn't even have ABS optional, and just look at the sales. And all these cars are more expensive than the Verna. Except for the alloys, all these cars have comparable features.

IMHO, the Verna VGT offers enough equipment to call it value for money. That engine alone might be worth the moolah. Rest, all features are comparable to the segment. Features on the petrol are an added bonus, which make the VGT seem less equipped in comparison. That's it.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 13:56   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

check this post by tsk http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/300171-post76.html

14 inch and 15inch alloy optioN!

and can someone check if disks on all wheels are optional?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 13:57   #159
Team-BHP Support

@veyron1, the problem is not competition. Its more like, the petrol guy can pay some more money and get all these goodies. I want diesel, and am willing to pay extra, still hyundai does not give me a choice.
If only they had two diesel variants, one with frills and one without, things would have been good.
My guess its that they dont want the diesel to kill the petrol(which it would have if priced same with same goodies).
Old 27th September 2006, 13:58   #160
Team-BHP Support

@jkdas, its all mentioned on features link.
ABS, disks all around are optional on all models.
Old 27th September 2006, 14:07   #161
Senior - BHPian

@tsk1979; Ah. Yes, now that makes more sense. Hyundai COULD have offered two diesel variants, one with CC, alloys, et.al, and priced it, say, 50-70K more. At least those willing to shell out more for the added features would've had an option...

Maybe that's what Hyundai intends to do in the future, after the sales begin to warp...

P.S- I really don't get the omission of height adjustable seats. It's not of much use, but when Hyundai offers it in the Accent/ Viva CRDi, they should've given it in the Verna too.
Old 27th September 2006, 14:18   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
My guess its that they dont want the diesel to kill the petrol(which it would have if priced same with same goodies).
Why would top end petrol Verna take on top end Verna diesel? Isnt petrol targeted at NHC and diesel targeted at Fiesta TDCi?
Whether they sell Petrol or Diesel, will it make any difference? They still make money right?
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 14:30   #163
Team-BHP Support

msdivy it upsets their apple cart.
Tata offers heavy discounts on petrol variants, though they can choose to do so on diesel and sell lot more diesels. So if hyundai sells diesel with similar cost to petrol, most will book diesel. Its got more power and runs cheaper. Its really hard to believe that the diesel engine is costing 1.3L more than petrol.

OTOH, it may be possible that the diesel engine is being imported while the petrol is completly desi(A la accent crdi).
In that case too if they sell too many diesels. they make lesser amount of money on it,
Old 27th September 2006, 14:39   #164
Senior - BHPian

@tsk: Yes, the engine is completely imported. Just like the Accent CRDi.
Old 27th September 2006, 14:51   #165
Senior - BHPian

Had a chat with Talwar Hyundai here in HYD. Petrol Verna gives 12-14 in city and Elantra gives 10-12 in city. Both unbeleivable. I think as a thumb rule minus 2 from both figures. Had a bit of argument there. He didn't accept my figrues then went on to ask him whether he can prove the figures by himself. Then stopped.
Door thud is excellent and boot space is huge!. Getting into drivers seat is not an easy job. have to push the seat to back when getting in and pull back to front once seated because the steering is slightly inconvenient after comfortable getting in and out of Santro for so long. No petrol yet available for test ride. But the car is not photogenic at all! I liked the car more than when i saw the picture.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote