Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th September 2006, 23:33   #181
Senior - BHPian

variable geometry turbo-vgt

Thats making a difference to the old powerful crdi engine.Terrific features adds to the terrific power and torque.Hyundai tells us its more powerfull and drinks less. Thats exciting and the race for the hot seat is hotter.honda city ,ford fiesta,chevy aveo,to a certain extend chevy optra 1.6,all are threatend by this new entrant - verna crdi . Its an excellent upgrade for all those 2003 model accent crdi' s.an avid mixture of style aswell as power.

Initial drive impressions

In 2nd gear at 2000 rpm its a surge forward which you will never expect.nice for inside city overtakings .The plant stayed foot even in 5th gear at about 40 kmph inside city conditions -defenitly the torque is playing its bit .a/c is pretty good as well as the drive and ride quality.Better nvh levels keeping the vibs away.Turning radius is significantly lesser than the old accent and the stearing is more predictable.The seats hold you in position better than the accent
and the quality of plastics used are top class.
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 01:12   #182
Senior - BHPian

Someone mentioned in earlier post that quality of plastics used are cheap..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai
and the quality of plastics used are top class.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 10:53   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Someone mentioned in earlier post that quality of plastics used are cheap..
Well, the gentleman works for Hyundai, so a grain of salt is recommended :P
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 10:54   #184
Team-BHP Support

Its really amusing that the information by the dude who works for hyundai is woefully inadequate as compared to members here!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 10:57   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai
hope you all find it exciting and top class power delivery, and torque.
The only thing that sounds exciting is the specs of the diesel engine....the rest of the stuff is ...what is really depressing is the complete lack of equipment on this model
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 11:29   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
The only thing that sounds exciting is the specs of the diesel engine....the rest of the stuff is ...what is really depressing is the complete lack of equipment on this model
You're right !! Rest of the stuff is nothing to talk about. I think I would be waiting for the 2007 Elantra and the newer Embera or the diesel Embera. I think I am going for an Embera in 2007.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 13:26   #187
Senior - BHPian

Question How about Petrol?

BTW, petrol Verna has some good specs too:
Specs | Petrol | Diesel
Displacement (cc) | 1599 | 1493
Max. Power (ps/rpm) | 103.2/5500 | 110/4000
Max. Torque (kgm/rpm)| 14.9/3000 | 24/1900~2750

• Anybody had a chance to compare on road performance of petrol & diesel variants?
  • How does it stack up with Baleno, NHC?
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 13:42   #188
Senior - BHPian

tsk1979 is right. Team bhp members had everything in hand before the car / its website was even launched except for the price. .. Don't let them know we knew all the things before they knew we know lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Its really amusing that the information by the dude who works for hyundai is woefully inadequate as compared to members here!
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 15:57   #189
BHPian

Verna launched in Cochin today.

On Road prices of Verna in Cochin:

Petrol

i VTVT: 6.6 lakhs (6.8 lakhs with ABS)

Xi VTVT: 6.86 lakhs (7.06 lakhs with ABS)

XXi VTVT: 7.18 lakhs (7.38 lakhs with ABS)

Diesel:

CRDi VGT: 7.8 lakhs (8 lakhs with ABS)

Courtesy: Popular Hyundai
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 18:20   #190
BHPian

Diesel Verna will be the new car to own now in India after Civic. Though it lacks features compared to petrol sibling, its got all the necessary ones. Great going Hyundai.
grvanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 20:11   #191
Senior - BHPian

Well I only hope that this car can actually live upto all the hype it is generating..
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 21:56   #192
Team-BHP Support

went and checked out the car yesterday. i have a test drive tomorrow of both petrol and diesel.

initial impressions:

the exterior isnt great. its not a head turner. its pretty plain jane. the car doesnt look all that big at all. it looks even smaller than the old accent. it looks more like a viva. the front looks the best. from the outside thers isnt any difference between the petrol fully loaded XXi and the CRDi.

the interiors are basically a fresher version of the accent. you will know its a hyundai when u sit inside. the plastics are so-so not great quality. better than the fiestas and close to the NHC. the space in the front seats is pretty good. im 6ft and i need the seat fully back to sit comfy. some cars even if the seat is back i find it uncomfy this was not the case in the verna. the back seat has a little more space than the accent but nowhere as close to NHC. the seating height is a little more than accent in the league of the fiesta. ingress egress are comparable to fiesta better than the old accent. seat width is more than fiesta but again not as wide as NHC.

boot space is not great only 351 lts. but it looks deep and is adequate.

the dash board layout has good ergonomics with the music system slot on top. the dials look classy. the trip meter reset button is positioned uniquely next to the steering column. the diesel has manual adjustable mirrors whereas the petrol XXi has automatic.

rest i think has been covered in previous posts.

will give an update tomorrow after test drive.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 23:03   #193
BHPian

Default Why do you feel its small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
the car doesnt look all that big at all. it looks even smaller than the old accent. it looks more like a viva. the front looks the best.
Why do you feel that way.
Height is same as Corolla (1490)
Width is 10mm =1cm lesser than Corolla. Hardly anything.
Lenth is lower by less than about 1 feet (approx 27 cms lower).
With these dimensions, it isn't so small actually!!
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 23:11   #194
BHPian

Default Verna Test drive

Checked out the Verna today
Impressions on looks :
Looks like a pregnant accent - and even though it is longer - looks shorter
Looked good in the ad - maybe it will look better if u drive it with horses alongside

Interiors - XXI - top end has good interiors - look high quality - liberal use of leather- like material on dash etc - good "beige" seat fabric - wood plastics
The CRDI - has none of this - and it has no further versions - eesh - because it has a great engine - as per Hyundai Rep - so sorry - u get sucky interiors

Cramped interiors - esp backseat
Decent boot
Horror of horrors - their reverse gear works like the Optra - and is notchy - what is with Korean cars( The Optra is the Daewoo Nubira if I recall)

Drive - Hmm rush hour so could not manage to go beyond 3rd - smooth engine ( petrol), competent braking, good to drive - the dealer sales guy accompanying kept flinching - must be my driving style - Hyundai always does this to me - at least this dealer - get worried when I rev the car

Overall I would give it a B- its a middle of the road buy - I guess it will fight with Accent, Fiesta and Aveo ( haven't driven any of these though) - and not the City - despite the 100 horses + -
vikrantw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 08:48   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
BTW, petrol Verna has some good specs too:
Specs | Petrol | Diesel
Displacement (cc) | 1599 | 1493
Max. Power (ps/rpm) | 103.2/5500 | 110/4000
Max. Torque (kgm/rpm)| 14.9/3000 | 24/1900~2750

• Anybody had a chance to compare on road performance of petrol & diesel variants?
  • How does it stack up with Baleno, NHC?

The latest Autocar (October) has a comparision of pickup/speed between the Verna Petrol/Diesel/Fiesta Diesel. The Verna Diesel is faster than its petrol sibling, and also lot faster than the Fiesta Diesel.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote