Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th September 2006, 10:46   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp
Why do you feel that way.
Height is same as Corolla (1490)
Width is 10mm =1cm lesser than Corolla. Hardly anything.
Lenth is lower by less than about 1 feet (approx 27 cms lower).
With these dimensions, it isn't so small actually!!
All these new cars look smaller than they actually are. Mainly due to their being taller and rounder. The NHC is as big or bigger than the Baleno, but looks smaller. The Fiesta to me always looks the same size as an Ikon, even though I guess it is bigger. It is the extra height that mainly creates this impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1
Looked good in the ad - maybe it will look better if u drive it with horses alongside
That was a good one.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 11:46   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Checked out the Verna today
Impressions on looks :
Looks like a pregnant accent - and even though it is longer - looks shorter
Looked good in the ad - maybe it will look better if u drive it with horses alongside

Interiors - XXI - top end has good interiors - look high quality - liberal use of leather- like material on dash etc - good "beige" seat fabric - wood plastics
The CRDI - has none of this - and it has no further versions - eesh - because it has a great engine - as per Hyundai Rep - so sorry - u get sucky interiors

Cramped interiors - esp backseat
Decent boot
Horror of horrors - their reverse gear works like the Optra - and is notchy - what is with Korean cars( The Optra is the Daewoo Nubira if I recall)

Drive - Hmm rush hour so could not manage to go beyond 3rd - smooth engine ( petrol), competent braking, good to drive - the dealer sales guy accompanying kept flinching - must be my driving style - Hyundai always does this to me - at least this dealer - get worried when I rev the car

Overall I would give it a B- its a middle of the road buy - I guess it will fight with Accent, Fiesta and Aveo ( haven't driven any of these though) - and not the City - despite the 100 horses + -
Since you havent driven its competitors, it would have been better if you havent had posted the above.

and why cnt it fight with the City? ( coz you drive one? )

OT! Toyota HQ isnt Jap anymore, so does it mean they make bad car? Just coz one company's HQ is in Korea makes you ............

Last edited by jkdas : 29th September 2006 at 11:48.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 11:54   #198
BHPian

Guys,Accent CRDi was sold between 7.5-8 Lakhs and now they are selling Verna CRDi for that price with better interiors and goodies than accent CRDi.It aint that bad as it is made out to be.And I am sure they will bring out another version of the diesel with better specs to meet customer demands.Accent CRDi is sold even now at only one spec(bare minimum).If people could buy the accent CRDi for its engine,despite its bad rear seat.I am sure there will be enough and more people who will buy the verna CRDi for its engine(YUMM!!) and better interiors.

Atleast Verna CRDi is providing ABS as optional.Which is the other diesel car providing this in the segment?.

And I cant comment on Verna V/s City since I am not much of a petrol head and matching city's comfort and mileage wont be easy.And overcoming the Korean V/s Japan syndrome is also not easy.

But Ford Fiesta TDCi V/s Verna CRDi will be a no brainer.I am sure of that because I own a Fiesta TDci.The only thing it scored better over even accent CRDi was its refinement and rear seat comfort.Oh and Ford service sucks,atleast in cochin,calicut and Mangalore.

All the guys who are purely petrol heads and diesel bashers,I request you to take a TD of verna CRDi.

Torque is addictive.Ask GTO

Last edited by artofzen : 29th September 2006 at 12:13.
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 12:18   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Impressions on looks :

-
And you think Honda City looks Good?

But yes,If my priority was looks alone,I wouldnt even try Verna.But as someone rightly pointed out,most of the cars in this segment looks like $%#@
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 13:03   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen
And you think Honda City looks Good?

But yes,If my priority was looks alone,I wouldnt even try Verna.But as someone rightly pointed out,most of the cars in this segment looks like $%#@
Honda City is just a Jazz with a tail. It's very difficult to distinguish a City and an Indigo when seen through the rearview mirror or from the top of a building.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 29th September 2006 at 13:07.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 13:04   #201
BHPian

For hyundai Verna's main competitor is in fact the City and not the Fiesta or Aveo. It wont make significant dents on City's sales figures initially but it has the potential to do it later but not much later say in about 6 months.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 29th September 2006 at 13:08.
Old 29th September 2006, 13:49   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say that Fiesta primarily and next the NHC is what the Verna will take on.

Aveo, I believe, is not even in the race. Don't see them around on the roads anyway. Dunno, what screwed the game for them. Pricing seems to be on par with Fiesta.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th September 2006 at 13:54.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 14:39   #203
BHPian

Autocar UK did a drive of the new Accent(Verna to us) and were'nt impressed. I take beck my earlier views on the Verna where I mentioned that it could give the NHC a tough time. IMO, the Fiesta diesel, 1.4 petrol and the Aveo would get hit badly and the NHC only marginally. The Verna is clearly targeted at the comfort and economy conscious customer in that segment. Someone looking for performance would still go in for the Fiesta 1.6 or NHC Vtec. And someone looking for brand image would go in for the NHC.
Floyd de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 14:53   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
Autocar UK did a drive of the new Accent(Verna to us) and were'nt impressed. I take beck my earlier views on the Verna where I mentioned that it could give the NHC a tough time. IMO, the Fiesta diesel, 1.4 petrol and the Aveo would get hit badly and the NHC only marginally. The Verna is clearly targeted at the comfort and economy conscious customer in that segment. Someone looking for performance would still go in for the Fiesta 1.6 or NHC Vtec. And someone looking for brand image would go in for the NHC.
Give Autocar UK the 77bhp NHC, and that too wont impress them. give them the VTEC even then they wont be impressed. Compare this to indian spec cars, in trim and power levels, thats the actual test.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 15:21   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Give Autocar UK the 77bhp NHC, and that too wont impress them. give them the VTEC even then they wont be impressed. Compare this to indian spec cars, in trim and power levels, thats the actual test.
Autocar has driven the test driven the 1.4i atlantic model hatchback not the 1.6 engine available here. Ofcourse 1.4 engines wont impress the European people.

NHC cant be given to Autocar UK for test drive because of a simple reason. NHC isnt available there. It's present there in the tailless version called the Jazz.

But if they were given the NHC available here they wont be impressed at all.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 29th September 2006 at 15:28.
Old 29th September 2006, 15:30   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Impressions on looks :

Interiors - XXI - top end has good interiors - look high quality - liberal use of leather- like material on dash etc - good "beige" seat fabric - wood plastics
The CRDI - has none of this - and it has no further versions - eesh - because it has a great engine - as per Hyundai Rep - so sorry - u get sucky interiors

Cramped interiors - esp backseat
Decent boot
Horror of horrors - their reverse gear works like the Optra - and is notchy - what is with Korean cars( The Optra is the Daewoo Nubira if I recall)

Drive - Hmm rush hour so could not manage to go beyond 3rd - smooth engine ( petrol), competent braking, good to drive - the dealer sales guy accompanying kept flinching - must be my driving style - Hyundai always does this to me - at least this dealer - get worried when I rev the car

Overall I would give it a B- its a middle of the road buy - I guess it will fight with Accent, Fiesta and Aveo ( haven't driven any of these though) - and not the City - despite the 100 horses + -
One of the worst reviews posted here both in terms of language quality and reality.
Old 29th September 2006, 15:34   #207
BHPian

Just completed the test drive of the new Hyundai Verna. A real powerhouse it is. There is ofcourse, the Turbo Lag quite common to the CRDi engines, but past 2000 rpm, this car behaves like a beast. It just goes on and on with no intention to stop. True, even if you desire to !!!! Brakes and Tyres are something HMC needs to revisit in every powerful car it makes (barring the high end models). The first test drive itself was fun but a call from office left me asking for more. I couldnt concentrate much on the "basics" due to this important call. Shouldnt have gone the next time I would have thought. The 3 reasons that compelled me to go for the drive again was 1. I didnt go full throttle to get the feel of the CRDi under the hood, 2. I couldnt check the brakes well 3. The engine felt surprisingly silent (read that in BIG BOLD LETTERS). The marketing manager, my friend, told me about the brakes (read inadequacy) only after I almost killed a couple aboard an Activa. The car screached to a halt after a solid 100m - that tells you how "good' the brakes are and mind you my speedo would have read just 80 when I first applied the brakes. TI would think the tyres also need a good upsize for the grip for I felt the whole car wandering on the road after I crossed 60-70. Stability, cornering capabilities et al may not be considered at all. But power - you could take this car for just that. Engine refinement is one "BIG PLUS" in this CRDi. I own an Elantra and know how much this engine clutters at lower rpm. But this new gen CRDi is super silent for its class. The vibtration levels are almost Zero. Space - not that great for a car that costs this much. Looks - the front looks very nice and aggressive for the colour I saw (color similar to scarlet seige), white might disappoint. Rear is one part which we need to get used to. Seats and ergonomics is on the lower side - seats not as wide to accomodate different types of "bodies". Instrument panel is OK - not anything worth comparing with a Fiesta or likes. Wood trim would have added a touch of class - the CRDi otherwise looks quite ordinary except for the combination of beige and the ordinary color that is mixed wisely. Cubby holes - as they always exist in any Hyundai product. Couldnt check the headlights; the lights look very nice, especially the indicators. Rear leg room is disappointing. Overall a good package for a torque enthusiast and bear this in mind - you need to upsize your tyres, change your break pads and ABS - that is one thing CRDi misses so badly......
I may write another review after test driving a petrol some day. For now, let me wait for a call from Hyundai dealer to know more about the cost of repair for their car :-)

Note from mod: In future can you take care to break up your posts in appropiate paragraphs. Reading a monologue of this size become tedious

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th September 2006 at 15:40.
convivial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 15:47   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Atleast Verna CRDi is providing ABS as optional.Which is the other diesel car providing this in the segment?.
The Fiesta is as far as I know............

Last edited by suman : 29th September 2006 at 15:49.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 15:47   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mods, multiple post, please delete

Last edited by suman : 29th September 2006 at 15:49.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 15:54   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Autocar also drove the updated Jazz 1.4 idsi and were still highly impressed despite the car being considered relatively long in the tooth. It is my opinion that the Verna will appeal to a different set of people from that who would be drawn to the NHC.
Floyd de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote