Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th September 2006, 15:58   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
It is my opinion that the Verna will appeal to a different set of people from that who would be drawn to the NHC.
I think you've made a very valid point here Floyd,
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 19:24   #212
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
It is my opinion that the Verna will appeal to a different set of people from that who would be drawn to the NHC.
well right!.. that holds true for all those who bought the NHC just for it being a Honda.
For the others who bought NHC considering the practical reasons would be surely attracted toward Verna too.
Though... till now my understanding is...
Petrol Verna is no way going to hit NHC.... Coz..
  • it can not have that FE
  • that Honda engine refinement is not somewhere Hyundai can reach as of now.
  • If Verna uses substantially the same engine as Accent - NHC is got to have a better engine response. [NHC might even feel faster in City Driving]
  • NHC has more interior space [thats the impression I have got from all team-bhp and TV reviews]
  • NHC has a huge boot
  • NHC is Honda

Though if you consider diesel Verna
  • NHC loses on Fuel Costs
  • NHC loses out on engine response [the low end city driving power basically]
  • The Verna diesel engine seems to have the best NVH levels amongst diesels.
My point.... a person like me who bought the NHC very recently would have certainly wanted to consider the diesel Verna.

Last edited by SLK : 29th September 2006 at 19:29.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 20:09   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Petrol Verna is no way going to hit NHC.... Coz..
  • it can not have that FE
  • that Honda engine refinement is not somewhere Hyundai can reach as of now.
  • If Verna uses substantially the same engine as Accent - NHC is got to have a better engine response. [NHC might even feel faster in City Driving]
  • NHC has more interior space [thats the impression I have got from all team-bhp and TV reviews]
  • NHC has a huge boot
  • NHC is Honda
Did you test drive Verna? Even go near it?

Lets wait till someone posts it FE or comments about its refinemnt instead of spreading rumours.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 20:37   #214
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
spreading rumours.

Well I put those things based on some FACTS about Honda and Hyundai Petrol engines [the NHC and the accent 1.6 DOHC petrol]. You are sure allowed to disagree.... but not just go outright and put it as a rumor because you fail to acknowledge the underlying facts.

Last edited by SLK : 29th September 2006 at 20:38.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 21:32   #215
Senior - BHPian

Phew. Drove one finally today, to my satisfaction. Had a small trial yesterday, but that wasn't enough.Two words; Thumbs up. Above 1900 RPM, the car is a beast.

The way the car shoves the speedo needle from 100-170 is something to be experienced first hand. I literally drove the wheels off the car, for about 100 kms, till the tank ran dry.

More details with pics on that later. The exec said that the car had about 7-8 litres of diesel, right before the engine sputtered to a halt. On the National Highway. So I'm guessing 15 kmpl at least. With MY driving. Real world driving can see 17-18 kmpl easy.

The car handles decently too. And braking felt fine, even though I drove a non-ABS model. Handling and stability was pretty good, and the car held it's composure even through rough patches.

The equipment levels are a downer, though. Overall, the engine
is the only plus point that I see. Ride is better than Elantra, Octy, Optra, City or Corolla. Handling is ok, but the Cedia is still king of the hill in that area.

Last edited by veyron1 : 29th September 2006 at 21:39.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 00:32   #216
BHPian

Default Service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
  • Though if you consider diesel Verna
  • NHC loses on Fuel Costs
  • NHC loses out on engine response [the low end city driving power basically]
  • The Verna diesel engine seems to have the best NVH levels amongst diesels.
NHC loses out on service too!! Hyundai service in bangalore is great cmpared to that of Honda!! I bought a Toyota, but Is till swear by the Hyundai service for my Santro.
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 01:50   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp
NHC loses out on service too!! Hyundai service in bangalore is great cmpared to that of Honda!! I bought a Toyota, but Is till swear by the Hyundai service for my Santro.
I owned a Accent and OHC for five years. I replaced the accent with NHC an year back. I quoted the background to share that I disagree with your comment about Hyundai service being great compared to Honda. Its true that when there was only one dealer (Whitefield Honda), services wasn't great but now with two of them competing for customers, it is fantastic. Are you talking about Honda service in Bangalore from a personal experience ?
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 11:01   #218
Senior - BHPian

Service totally depends upon your service dealer in your area. Here hyundai was getting worse in past year. Whereas Honda / Toyota / Skoda service is getting better. Marutis getting worse. Ford is good too. GM is getting better too..

So regardng service one cannot comment for all over india. Its better that we do not talk about the service issue from now own specially in this thread.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
I owned a Accent and OHC for five years. I replaced the accent with NHC an year back. I quoted the background to share that I disagree with your comment about Hyundai service being great compared to Honda. Its true that when there was only one dealer (Whitefield Honda), services wasn't great but now with two of them competing for customers, it is fantastic. Are you talking about Honda service in Bangalore from a personal experience ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 13:12   #219
BHPian

There is no doubt that Hyundai's service is the best after Maruti when you consider the overall factor. Regarding the comparison of Verna Petrol and NHC we should wait a little more for the figures to come up from Auto Magazines and ofcourse the consumers.

Refinement in Verna has improved a lot and it is comparable to the City though cant say better. This is what I felt after starting the Verna Petrol and driving a little bit. Autocar has also said that the refinement is pretty good and it suspects the Verna Petrol to be one of the most fuel efficient in the segment.

Let's wait a bit more!!!!!!
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 14:09   #220
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
They sure are scared of verna crdi cannibalising elantra sales,otherwise what explains the fact that the above mentioned factors not included in the verna crdi and sold as a higher end model.
exactly i will put 1 lakh more and buy elentra instead. i don't like huyandi looks, so i won't be buying anyway but thats the different story.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 14:39   #221
Senior - BHPian

Funny situation for Hyundai ! They are scared low-end Verna would cannibalize high-end Accent and high-end Verna would cannibalize low-end Elantra ! In the process customers don't get what they want from Verna...

What Hyundai could have done?
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 16:00   #222
Senior - BHPian

Well - heard on tv that Hyundai is SOUPING up the Elantra now to make it more competetive in its segment. Seems like they might improve the equipment, interiors and plonk in a powerful engine too.

Well - a 150 BHP+ Elantra CRDI please Hyundai, Im signing my cheques.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 30th September 2006 at 16:01.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 16:31   #223
Senior - BHPian

Accent CRDi: 1493cc, 82 BHP, 19.1kgm (torque: 2000 ~ 2000)
Verna CRDi : 1493cc, 110 BHP, 24 kgm
Elantra CRDi: 1991cc, 112 BHP, 25 kgm

With these specs how much can they differentiate between the three?

They got to give more power to Elantra. Can reduce power on Accent (Fiesta TDi pumps only 68BHP).
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 18:55   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
Accent CRDi: 1493cc, 82 BHP, 19.1kgm (torque: 2000 ~ 2000)
Verna CRDi : 1493cc, 110 BHP, 24 kgm
Elantra CRDi: 1991cc, 112 BHP, 25 kgm

With these specs how much can they differentiate between the three?

They got to give more power to Elantra. Can reduce power on Accent (Fiesta TDi pumps only 68BHP).
Power is not the only factor to differentiate between Verna and Elantra. Elantra is more spacious and is a class above Accent.

If you're taking the power alone then it'll be astonishing to notice that Accent CRDi is more powerful than Octavia 1.9 TDi in 3rd and 4th gear acceleration as per Autocar.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 19:35   #225
Senior - BHPian

Guys..!!!

I've been taking a close look at Verna here since its launch......

Verna Petrol is not a great if u want something different from the old Accent except for the look......

The Diesel is a wild bitch and its worth buying it even for its engine....Just wonder what it will become with all the mods Drifter has in his CRDi......

Butttttt guys today a 2 day old Verna CRDi came with a non functional reverse gear.... ......Prob rectified within 2hrs n i hope this doesn't bcome a common prob.....

KP
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote