Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th November 2006, 10:27   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Almost all cars have an inspiration from one or more cars. Fiesta has a rear look inspired from the Octavia. The Old Sonata's rear had from the Jaguar.
Fiesta rear resembles the Octavia ? I thought the rear lights were more Merc-like. And the Sonata... Well, thats exactly the point we were stating.

Quote:
The new Verna also from some cars. But the front looks are more corolla, not the boring Baleno's frontal looks.
Corolla ? Hmmm. Not exactly a car that is known for its looks. Well, yesterday at Ispahani centre, I parked next to a silver Verna. Finally had time to have a detailed look from near. The rear is actually a mess, inspite of whatever cars the inspiration came from. The front is Baleno-ish (or Corolla like, if you may) and the side view shows a egg-shaped profile. This car is not a looker by any standards. But then it can derive satisfaction from the fact that its peers are again no better.

Quote:
But it's the Swift which had a full length inspiration from another car, the Mini Cooper. It shows every manufacturer including Japanese takes inspiration.
Who even mentioned the Swift ? It just looks different and that does not mean better looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Now that is a pretty good indicator of whether a car sells or not, regardless of whether or not supremebaleno notices any on the roads. If the dealer wont give you a discount, its selling well.
Steer, you have to give me credit for mentioning the ones I saw.
My point was that if a manufacturer claims that his new car is a hit, it should mean more cars on the road. The Civic is claimed to be a hit and I think I have seen almost all colors of that car (some yucky colors too) on the road. You go to a mall or a restaurant and it is there. Is it wrong to expect more Vernas on the road commensurate with the claimed sales figures ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th November 2006 at 10:34.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 10:56   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Fiesta has a rear look inspired from the Octavia.
Octavia? You mean the Laura, don't you?
MalluDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 11:10   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude
@MalluDude, now that you mentioned it, yes. The rear does have some similarity to the Laura's rear.
Old 6th November 2006, 12:00   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omvnbhatt
whose suspension will score more on rough/pot-holes road---nhc or verna.pl remember ride comfort is very much important criteria unspoken criteria
As per reviews mainly from Autocar, Verna Petrol is the most refined car among Fiesta Petrol, Aveo and City. Also its low speed ride is the best. Honda cars' main weakness is that - Harsh ride at low speeds. Even the Accord has that problem. Rear seats of City are the best ones but ride comfort of Verna is better owing to a better and stiffer platform. Interior space of both cars are similar.

That doesnt mean Verna beats City in every aspect. For petrol cars City has the best FE. Also Verna petrol's engine has been detuned for Indian conditions in such a way that it's 3rd gear acceleration figures is very slightly lower than the City as per Autocar. Considering City has 26 less horses than Verna thats disappointing from Verna's point of view. Although in real world driving this difference might not be felt at all. In flat out acceleration the Verna beats the City quite comfortably. Both cars are good to drive in Cities and on highway Verna might be better.

But if FE is the only priority for anyone among the petrol versions then the choice has to be City. Looks are subjective. Personally I hate the NHC's looks. I like even the Baleno more than the NHC. That's all perosnal tastes.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 12:03   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude
Well there isnt much difference between the Laura and Octavia. Telling about Fiesta's rear the boot part looks similar to Octavia/Laura and as SB said the tail lights are similar to Merc E class.

It's not fair to criticise about inspiration or copying. It happens in every industry. When the manufacturers dont have any complaints why should we criticise?

Last edited by adarsh76 : 6th November 2006 at 12:04.
Old 6th November 2006, 12:07   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
You bet, i have been regularly seeing VGT CRDi Vernas on the road and hardly seeing Fiestas compared to the number of Vernas nowadayz (or maybe since the Fiesta is a older car dont notice it as much as i notice the Verna)
Ford needs to bring their 1.6 version very soon. But still in overall package the Verna might win if Ford is bringing the same Fiesta model with just the engine change owing to the interior space and comfort.
Old 6th November 2006, 12:26   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444
VIVEKKR IAM GETTING 4 % CASH DISCOUNT THATS IT
Thanks jeetu for letting us know. As Mumbaikar put it, it would be difficult to get dealer discounts immediately after a new launch...
vivekkr_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 13:08   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
well right!.. that holds true for all those who bought the NHC just for it being a Honda.
For the others who bought NHC considering the practical reasons would be surely attracted toward Verna too.
Though... till now my understanding is...
Petrol Verna is no way going to hit NHC.... Coz..
  • it can not have that FE
  • that Honda engine refinement is not somewhere Hyundai can reach as of now.
  • If Verna uses substantially the same engine as Accent - NHC is got to have a better engine response. [NHC might even feel faster in City Driving]
  • NHC has more interior space [thats the impression I have got from all team-bhp and TV reviews]
  • NHC has a huge boot
  • NHC is Honda

Though if you consider diesel Verna
  • NHC loses on Fuel Costs
  • NHC loses out on engine response [the low end city driving power basically]
  • The Verna diesel engine seems to have the best NVH levels amongst diesels.
My point.... a person like me who bought the NHC very recently would have certainly wanted to consider the diesel Verna.

I think the fiesta 1.4TDCi still has the edge over Verna w.r.t NVH.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 15:09   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma
I think the fiesta 1.4TDCi still has the edge over Verna w.r.t NVH.
You're right. Fiesta is ahead of Verna in FE and refinement but not by a very big margin. Diesel engines are getting more and more hi tech everyday.

But as VFM and a good package plus a better service it's the Verna.
Old 6th November 2006, 15:42   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Now that is a pretty good indicator of whether a car sells or not, regardless of whether or not supremebaleno notices any on the roads. If the dealer wont give you a discount, its selling well.
hard to agree with that.. if the dealer is going to give discounts for a car that has just been launched, whether it sells or not, it means that he has accepted defeat even before the war has begun. that is not to say that the verna is not a hot selling car, but that it is not as visible as hrag put it. i do hope to see a lot more of this car in the near future. there is nothing wrong with this car's looks, after all we loved the santro, cant hate the verna.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 6th November 2006 at 15:44.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 22:15   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
hard to agree with that.. if the dealer is going to give discounts for a car that has just been launched, whether it sells or not, it means that he has accepted defeat even before the war has begun.
I think it is a combination of two factors - the car has just been launched and it seems to be selling very well also. The salesperson who spoke to me highlighted that the car is selling very well. If a newly launched model in this segment is not fetching good sales, those guys wont be so straight forward in telling not to expect any dealer discounts.
vivekkr_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 11:05   #312
BHPian

i apprecite verna's ride comfort and interior space but inspite of initially excellent interest whether same interest will maintain as nhc?poor built and low ground clearance,more price than comfort still nhc rules?we are more obssessed with FE?
omvnbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 14:32   #313
BHPian

Default 100 KMPH in 2nd GEAR

100 KMPH in 2nd gear???????? Is this on a normal Baleno or modified?
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 11:59   #314
BHPian

Quote:
i apprecite verna's ride comfort and interior space but inspite of initially excellent interest whether same interest will maintain as nhc?poor built and low ground clearance,more price than comfort still nhc rules?we are more obssessed with FE?
Choosing any car is your personal choice. If you're looking only for FE then the City is a better choice. But if you want FE + great performance spend a little bit more for the Verna CRDi diesel. More mileage and fantastic performance with lesser fuel costs.
Old 8th November 2006, 16:40   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i apprecite verna's ride comfort and interior space but inspite of initially excellent interest whether same interest will maintain as nhc?
Only time will tell how it is going to do. Pre-launch, it looked like it would be a cakewalk for Verna, and all competitors (except NHC) would fall by the wayside with NHC also seeing a big drop in sales. But after seeing the car in the flesh and how things are going, I would not bet on it. The car seems to be blessed with a good powerful engine. But then, FE, a crucial factor that decides the fate of cars in the Indian market is still not known.

Quote:
poor built and low ground clearance, more price than comfort still nhc rules? we are more obssessed with FE?
The NHC does not sell only because of the FE. Other things in its favour are city drivability, the Honda brand image, the legendary Honda quality/reliability etc. Superior FE is just a bonus.