Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th December 2006, 17:20   #406
BHPian

well guys changed my stock to 16inc and 195 goodyear f1 tyres.....and the handling has improved very much.....well i have touched 130 so far that to in the suburbs.......
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 17:25   #407
BHPian

well bro even review said that diesel verna was better than petrol...... Hey Guys,

Last edited by jeetu4444 : 29th December 2006 at 17:27.
Old 29th December 2006, 22:31   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
I heard the engine is the old engine which was in the Accent 1.6 GLS itself. Just that its "retuned"? Can someone confirm this?
Its rubbish and absolutely wrong. You should not rely on the source from where you heard this for any matter.

Verna features new gamma series of engines. And it has the VTVT technology. Accent's 1.6 and 1.5 engines belongs to the alpha series. It doesnt have the VTVT technology.

But Verna 1.4 (not released in India) features the Alpha 2 series of engine which is also a new series and it too features VTVT.

These were stated in Autocar when they took test drive of Verna in Singapore 7 months back I guess.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 22:37   #409
BHPian

Topgear Dec 2006 Pg 180 (Top Gear buyer's guide)

"Offered along with a pair of engine options the Verna's petrol burner is a mildly retuned 1.6-litre unit which is present in the Accent"
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 00:28   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Hey Guys,

Just returned from a Bangalore- Goa trip in the Verna....here s wat i feel about the car

To start with let me tell you the good things bout the car. I really Loved the Engine of the Verna its as refined as any Honda Engine at watever speed you are in and at watever RPM the Engine sounds so smooth and it is a pleasure to hear.note one more thing guys, this car in not for guys who have the need for speed and torque,its for those who enjoy the pleasure of driving so its upto you to Love it or Hate it. another noticable thing are the interiors, i really loved the roomy interiors of the car lots of place to relax and stretch yet its compact from outside...a very nice speedo console really like it along with lots of bottle holders...and a good boot too..

Coming to the horrble things which are more in this car, as a youngster and as a man who is in need for speed i really hated the way the car handles at speeds of 110 -120 the car feels as if you are on the verge of loosing contol any sec, for a 1.6ltr VTVT i dont think this should be the case. Also the ride is way toooooooo bouncy small waves on the roads bounce the car like hell and you feel more uncomfortable to handle it at high speeds, we had 2 narrow escapes on our way to Goa because of this...Verna is said to have 103BHP correct but anybody here checked the torque rating????It sucks mannnnnnn you are doing 80-90 in 5th want to gear down and push the pedal to overtake...mannn it moves like a overladen TATA Truck seriously.....i hate that, for me i love torque and in the highway you need a better throttle response....atleast better for a 100BHP car....coming to another disappointin factor is the KMPL man can you believe the verna drank fuel like a loaded TRUCK we were 4 people and drove with 80% AC switched off and doing 100kph at 2500 RPM max speed touched was 150 , had to press the pedal quite alot,can you belive we got an average of just 11.5-12 burnt our pockets....thanks to the fuel prices in Goa saved us quite some money..

All in all i really dint like the performance of the VERNA i would give a 5 star for the Engine refinement but a BIG 0 for the handling....giving 100BHP on a car is one thing but you should feel it, when you are inside it.....the hopeless pick up makes it feels as if it were a 75 bhp vehicle, this is one thing i really hated in the car. in this aspect i feel the fiestas and the aveos are better.....
nice write up.we got more views of plus and minus of verna.FE is poor. verna will not shake NHC
omvnbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 13:33   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezj420 View Post
I just wanted to share my friend's experience with his new Verna in Bangalore (unfortunately, a negative one). Please don't take it the wrong way or as a warning; I'm just throwing it out there...
Same here. I bought Verna CRDi yesterday evening and as soon as left showroom I came to know that the speedo is dead. Even the trip meters are not working. The back gear lights are not working. The car needs re-alignment. I immediately returned back to showroom and kicked the GMs butt off in front of his whole staff. What a shame they do Pri Delivery Inspections and still they did not see the problems? Looked like Inspections were done on papers only. Since I was getting late (I need to travel 90 Kms before I reach home) I told them to send some one to pick up the car in the morning. The guy just came back around an hour ago and has taken my car back to showroom. ....TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited by rohitbagai : 30th December 2006 at 13:35.
rohitbagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 15:57   #412
BHPian

just pray that its not a test drive car
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 16:00   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Topgear Dec 2006 Pg 180 (Top Gear buyer's guide)

"Offered along with a pair of engine options the Verna's petrol burner is a mildly retuned 1.6-litre unit which is present in the Accent"
Today seems to be the day for bad magazines.....we first heard BS's BS about the Aveo. And now TG says the engine is the same when it isnt.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 18:47   #414
BHPian

Thanks guys for the confirmation. Quite a relief!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 20:01   #415
BHPian

well guys did 2nd full tank and this time got FE of 15 kpl........with 50% a/c.........well me very happy with my verna.....touch wood.....
Old 30th December 2006, 22:57   #416
BHPian

Thanks for saying its from Top Gear. A reason for not to buy that magazine at all.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 02:17   #417
BHPian

CONTINUED...
They gave back the car within 4 hours and...I got body cover free!! The car is OK now..Driven 600 KM in 2 days!! VERNA Rocks!!
Old 1st January 2007, 02:29   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
well guys did 2nd full tank and this time got FE of 15 kpl........with 50% a/c.........well me very happy with my verna.....touch wood.....
My Car is half empty and I have driven 600 KMs. It comes roughly around 25 KM/L. Its 100% without A/C. Delhi is Chilling man!
Old 2nd January 2007, 15:52   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg
coming to another disappointin factor is the KMPL man can you believe the verna drank fuel like a loaded TRUCK we were 4 people and drove with 80% AC switched off and doing 100kph at 2500 RPM max speed touched was 150 , had to press the pedal quite alot,can you belive we got an average of just 11.5-12 burnt our pockets....
raghu, is this a petrol Verna that you are talking about ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 16:18   #420
Senior - BHPian

i wanted to update on my verna vgt guys.i have measured the mileage till date for every single km.i have done 4800 kms and each time i do a tank full to tank full.its 16-17 kms almost every time and 3 times i got 19 ,19.6 and 20.but that was cautious drive guys.these figures are with full a/c.and to my belief im doing 100-120 .almost all the time.iots a mixture of city and highways.a few tips for better mileage
1. do not pedal it full time .unlike accent it doesnt have that breaking effect when we dont pedal it .its like pedal for 3 secs take off for 2 sec as if we are tapping . i know its tough but its not a rule.
2. use the a/c intelligently.ifg the cabin cools then u can switch it off for sometime leaving the fan on
3. stick on to the same fuell,i use bp highspeed diesel.
4. air pressure should be checked everytime you top up the fuel.
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote