Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th September 2006, 17:03   #106
BHPian

Looks like I will have to ask Metro Ford for a full refund instead of a new car.
Jokes apart, I will have to see the car and test drive it to see how good it is. The website says the power is 110ps, so they have not detuned the engine. Will be a cracker of an engine and put the TDCi to shame on the performance front.

Sorry about this mods, should have put it in the last post, but I remember reading somewhere that the CRDi verna does 0-100 in 11.63 secs. If thats true,then its in the Fiesta territory, I mean the 1.6 Duratec.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th September 2006 at 17:07.
shivasuma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 17:09   #107
Senior - BHPian

Nice. But what the heck..? The diesel doesn't get illuminated glovebox, a stereo, adjustable headrests, alloys or climate control..?? This is serious lapse from Hyundai's part, especially when the diesel is the most expensive variant.

Thankfully, they're offering ABS and rear discs as options (???)...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 17:13   #108
Senior - BHPian

Yeah you are right fiesta looses in proformance territory. But may win head ot head in FE..

Secondly Fiesta 1.6 TDCi is due to lauch as per dealers. Its 90 BHP and do 0-100 in 11.xx secs too.

Looks like we have to wait a little more for competition to get hotter...

BTW did any one got hands on the verna crdi ???? Also please visit this page:
http://www.hyundaiverna.co.in/verna....ename=compspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma
Looks like I will have to ask Metro Ford for a full refund instead of a new car.
Jokes apart, I will have to see the car and test drive it to see how good it is. The website says the power is 110ps, so they have not detuned the engine. Will be a cracker of an engine and put the TDCi to shame on the performance front.

Sorry about this mods, should have put it in the last post, but I remember reading somewhere that the CRDi verna does 0-100 in 11.63 secs. If thats true,then its in the Fiesta territory, I mean the 1.6 Duratec.

Last edited by abhibh : 25th September 2006 at 17:14.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 17:15   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
adarsh; which verison of petrol costs 6.63? base?

@karan; thanks
Oh no idea about that. They just told me the unconfirmed prices.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 17:19   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Yeah you are right fiesta looses in proformance territory. But may win head ot head in FE..

Secondly Fiesta 1.6 TDCi is due to lauch as per dealers. Its 90 BHP and do 0-100 in 11.xx secs too.

Looks like we have to wait a little more for competition to get hotter...

BTW did any one got hands on the verna crdi ???? Also please visit this page:
http://www.hyundaiverna.co.in/verna....ename=compspec
Whatttt is verna VTEC??????????????
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 17:23   #111
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I think they are launching a lower end version may be 1.4 L to compare with fiesta 1.4 exi (p) and aveo 1.4 base.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 18:05   #112
BHPian

hi guys,

just visited the hyundai site. I think that hyundai is in the habit of making a hash of their pricing/specs strategy (in this case the diesel version) and then improving upon it say 6 months later by updating the model and also lowering the price ( in the process losing goodwill and losing sales). They shud have had the diesel version fully loaded ( in line with the top end petrol version )with the given price.
amit mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 20:29   #113
BHPian

Just Drove the Verna CRDi.

1st one to be invited at Ajmer. I was a silver car still DIRTY from truck travel, unwashed. Went in my OHC. The manager himself took out the car gingerely from WORKSHOP (not yet in showroom, showroom was also being decorated for it). Drove about 500 mts. on road (even he drove it for the 1st time) with me as passenger, then gave the car to me. Still low on diesel as the car had just been unloaded. Sales person was at the back seat.

Impressions:

1) Exterior is so so styling. Not bad and compact looking. Not bad side profile. Front just OK. (looks etc. are personal taste)

2) Interiors: Twin tone black/beige. I found them just OK. Specs are available so I wont discuss again as to what is there and what is missing, but only my actual impressions. Roomy and Airy.

3) Seats in front are decent, but beige will tend to get dirty quickly. Legroom is good with decent support and gear reach etc. Cluster easily visible. OPEN Empty boxes where the music system is supposed to be look bad and only make a place for nick nacks if u dont install the system immediately (perhaps that's the whole idea).

4) Rear legroom decent again. Good to sit seats. Armres present.

5) Boot just OK. No specs given but 351 litres expected. Stubby rear, not bad to look at.

6) WOWWWWWWWW. WHATTAAAAAAA ENGINE. Fantastic fre revving engine. Takes Of like a plane at just a tap of the pedal. Viva is a BABY and so are Fiesta and others incl NHC. Some noise due to it being a diesel is there with the power surge being felt in your foot. The power transmits some of it to you through the pedal - not a bad feeling. No diesel clatter. 5th gear can operate below 40km/h also. Expect a better than accent economy.

7) Could feel the road contours only in passing. Suspension took all punishment. Tight turning circle.

8) Price about 7.5 L showroom (excellent pricing). Will kill Fiesta TDCI, aveo and others.

9) Most goodies removed. Equivalent to the base model of the Petrol Version.

Conlusion. At 7.5L or so a fantastic buy right now. Will be better if you could wait for some goodies to be added. The accelration is just amazing, my OHC is less, much less on the power surge. I dont see what we will do with so much power on INDIAN roads.

Excellent car characteristics, just OK styling. Side and rear profiles look good.

A drivers' car and diesel at that. WOWWWWW. Hyundai has a decent car on hand. A sure best seller expected, (Who will buy the ACCENT - or maybe the 1+ lakh diff. in on road price with Viva Crdi will keep Viva going)
alankarm@sancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 21:39   #114
Senior - BHPian

Pricing as expected by team bhp members, well done team bhp.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 25th September 2006 at 21:40.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 22:29   #115
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Here are video reviews of the Hyundai Verna in South Africa as shown on CNBC and Headlines TV Channels on Sunday Sep 24th 2006. Both reviews were quite good and showcased Verna very nicely as a promising entrant in the Indian Car Markets. Both the reviews praised the Diesel Verna for its shattering performance and in creating new benchmarks for the other diesel variants - read Ford Fiesta Diesel.

Here are the Videos -

CNBC : (8.7 MB)
http://cocoshare.cc/454301716/Verna+...frica+CNBC.wmv

Headlines : (25.6 MB)
http://cocoshare.cc/121954984/Verna+...+Headlines.wmv

You will need Windows Media Player 10 (If not available on your system) to view these videos. It's available from :-
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx

Enjoy...

Last edited by Tech : 25th September 2006 at 22:33.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 23:35   #116
Senior - BHPian

Yeah I heard that the plastics are of cheaper quality , has great space at the rear and good seats too , and a limited boot.

Hopefully - i mite get a TD tommorow.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 23:55   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb pricing. Now what abt the Accent and rest?

Any other car has gas shox?

And Verna has discs all around or just for the ABS one?

and it has 14 and 15 inch alloy option??? first in India I guess!

hei, it does look good in pix
http://hyundaiverna.co.in/images/dow...photo21024.jpg
http://hyundaiverna.co.in/images/dow...photo31024.jpg
http://hyundaiverna.co.in/images/dow...photo51024.jpg

Last edited by jkdas : 26th September 2006 at 00:09.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 07:22   #118
BHPian

P.S. to my earlier Coments.

Now after having outgrown the euphoria of the drive itself, due to the sheer power, I have mulled the other aspects again overnight.

1) The interiors are a bit too plasticky, some fibre inserts in door panel etc. should have been used to give it a richer feeling. The beige seats will tend to get dirty very fast. The exterior is basically uninspiring.

But then I am just an ordinary user and not an expert, though I do have 2 OHC, Corsa Swing, Optra 1.6, Cielo, 800s & ambassador etc. right now also.

Not tested or even seen the Petrol Verna, simply not available.
alankarm@sancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 10:32   #119
Senior - BHPian

Those videos are nto accessible (404 error). Tech, can you kindly upload them somewhere else. Hoping to go to Advait Hyundai in bangalore today to see if i can get a TD or at least see the CRDi.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 10:53   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

The Deccan Chronicle had this pic (front profile) of the car with a news item about the release.

Ignore the Hyundai logo on the grille and the headlamps, and you can see the Baleno grinning back at you. The grille & front contour seems to be almost taken off the Baleno. Well, imitation is the best form of flattery, right ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote