Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th September 2006, 11:11   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

comeon SupremeB, the lights etc is different and its not a 10yr old car, and teh specs show its a new engine.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 11:29   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

jkdas, I clearly mentioned, only the front looks+grille, minus the lights. Did not say that the engine is the same or specs are same.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 11:39   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
jkdas, I clearly mentioned, only the front looks+grille, minus the lights. Did not say that the engine is the same or specs are same.
I dont think it looks the same as Baleno. But I feel it has a slight resemblance of a Corolla grill. Baleno's grill aint stylish like this one.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 12:49   #124
BHPian

Hi all,

Test drove the Verna CRDI yesterday at Talwar Hyundai, Hyderabad. Enough reviews and pictures on this thread so won't get into it, except that its a great car with a good turning radius, decent looks and excellent pricing.

A saleperson at Trident Hyundai Bangalore called me and said they have a launch program tomorrow at Taj West End, so Bangalore chaps see if you can attend.

The prices (on road, in Bangalore) is given below

Petrol i - Rs. 7,18,586
Petrol xi - Rs. 7,35,789
Petrol xxi - Rs. 8,01,147
CRDI VGT - Rs. 8,47,967

The Petrol xi seems like a good deal, though deliveries may take nearly 2 weeks.

As for Ford and Honda, let the games begin and may the best car win :-)

Cheers
Spyder
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 13:17   #125
BHPian

I saw the Verna yesterday in the showroom. Both petrol and diesel were displayed. The Petrol was the Fully loaded model, and it looked great with the alloys and wooden interiors. while the Diesel variant looked quiet dull without the wooden interiors, and the alloys.

Boot space is very good. I think the petrol variant would be a good car for converting to LPG/CNG for ppl who want gas, as the boot can take in the gas tank with still good space remaining for luggage!

Rear seating was very nice. Very comfortable. Even the diesel has the rear seat armrest with cupholders in it. Front seats are equally good. But no height adjustments.(dont know of the petrol variant as i didnt sit on the drivers seat of it)

One thing for sure guys, if the Verna CRDi really is with the VGT (Variable Geometry) engine, then the diesel verna will be a big hit! In International markets, the TUCSON has now started coming with a 140bhp 2 lt VGT Engine, and everyone is saying they are getting more mileage than the previous engine(i.e current engine in india - the 2lt 113bhp crdi)

@Spyder, thanks for the info of testdrive from Talwar. Yesterday i saw the vehicle at Lakshmi Hyundai here but they werent giving the TD. So after seeing ur post, have called Talwar and am going for it in an hours time !

Looks wise, this is great! its like the new honda city vs. the old honda city. The accent is sleek while this is more ball like, like the Corolla and NHC. All remaining now is the testdrive to try out the horses in it.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 26th September 2006 at 13:30.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 13:52   #126
Senior - BHPian

Does plonking in a diesel engine really add 1L+ to the price of a car ? This seems to be the norm all around. The Verna diesel at 7.35L is feature-wise at par with the bottom-of-the-rung 6.21L petrol version.

The XXi is really loaded though .. another car in the segment to offer climate control .. does the XXi come with 15inchers ?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 14:30   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech
Hi Guys,

Here are video reviews of the Hyundai Verna in South Africa as shown on CNBC and Headlines TV Channels on Sunday Sep 24th 2006. Both reviews were quite good and showcased Verna very nicely as a promising entrant in the Indian Car Markets. Both the reviews praised the Diesel Verna for its shattering performance and in creating new benchmarks for the other diesel variants - read Ford Fiesta Diesel.

Here are the Videos -

CNBC : (8.7 MB)
http://cocoshare.cc/454301716/Verna+...frica+CNBC.wmv

Headlines : (25.6 MB)
http://cocoshare.cc/121954984/Verna+...+Headlines.wmv

You will need Windows Media Player 10 (If not available on your system) to view these videos. It's available from :-
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx

Enjoy...
Link not working , plz repost it
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 15:12   #128
BHPian

Guys i took a test drive of Verna CRDI today morning, loved the response of the crdi engine. The dealer says that the Verna CRDI gives a fuel economy of 17-18kmpl in the city.
caroholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 15:13   #129
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
Petrol i - Rs. 7,18,586
Petrol xi - Rs. 7,35,789
Petrol xxi - Rs. 8,01,147
CRDI VGT - Rs. 8,47,967
CRDI VGT - Petrol i = 1,29,381 (both have same features).

1. Is CRDI VGT worth 1.3L more than VTVT Petrol engine?
2. What is cost of optional ABS?
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 16:08   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroholic1
Guys i took a test drive of Verna CRDI today morning, loved the response of the crdi engine. The dealer says that the Verna CRDI gives a fuel economy of 17-18kmpl in the city.
17-18 in city. Thats a bit too hyped man. Cant believe it much. If its right then Honda City and Fiesta is history.
Old 26th September 2006, 16:09   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
CRDI VGT - Petrol i = 1,29,381 (both have same features).

1. Is CRDI VGT worth 1.3L more than VTVT Petrol engine?
2. What is cost of optional ABS?
Well that depends on your usage. If you drive less then Petrol is always a better option for any car. ABS may cost around 25,000 bucks.
Old 26th September 2006, 16:42   #132
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Well that depends on your usage. If you drive less then Petrol is always a better option for any car. ABS may cost around 25,000 bucks.
Calcultions (approx figures):
Cost per Km(P): Rs 4.5 (FE 12.5, its >100BHP car)
Cost per Km(D): Rs 2.5 (FE 15)
Savings per Km: Rs 2
So 1.3L is made up if one drives 65,000Km!
Thats the Km one has to clock on the Diesel Verna, so that it breaks even with low end Petrol Verna.

I have assumed savings/Km is constant. Correct me if my calculations are wrong.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 17:29   #133
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up Test Driven : Verna

I test drove the Verna this afternoon at Talwar Hyundai here in Hyd. First impressions are as follows:-)

PROS

a.) It has a terrific silent engine and noise levels have been really reduced. Its a great boon for new diesel drivers and ofcourse for existing tooo

b.) Accelaration of the car is phenomenol and it just takes off like a unleashed cheetah, and it feels great from 2K-3K rpm range. However, i felt there is a little lag during a steep uphill curve while driving in 3rd gear ( only me and one more fella in the car). Nevertheless, its not that important

c.) The interiors are really awesome and it is almost there ( read NHC) and i would say better than Fiesta

d.) Boot is caverouneous and can swallow a lot of luggage

e.) Slightly bigger size wheels ( 175/70 R14) is lookiing good but not that great. They should have given nice alloys

f.) A much needed rear arm rest. But, they spoil it by giving those cup holders which makes it awakard for resting your arm. It should be 360 degress turnable, then it makes sense

CONS

a.) I didnt see any difference in the space for driver, its just a few mm longer and in reality you wont be able to make out.

b.) Driving position is not all that great

c.) I didnt quite like the two tone color pattern, make others wouldnt agree with me. I still feel that a full beige would have looked better.

d.) The steering feels a tad too light...a.k.a NHC

e.) The sales guy clearly said it would give 2KM lesser than Accent CRDi in terms of FE, i thought that was a pretty nice upfront thing to say considering the fact that it is several notches more powerful than accent crdi

Thats a quick two cent contribution from me

Cheers
Avinash

mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 17:32   #134
Team-BHP Support

the maintenance costs of the diesel should be more if im not wrong. which means not even 65000kms much more.
theres no use of keeping the price so high 1.3L more for a diesel sedan with no features is ridiculous.
effectively which means the fiesta will not be hurt much as 8.47 is almost fully loaded TDCi fiesta zxi.
also the NHC is a better option in gxi trim as the mileage will be better than the verna petrol.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 17:37   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
Calcultions (approx figures):
Cost per Km(P): Rs 4.5 (FE 12.5, its >100BHP car)
Cost per Km(D): Rs 2.5 (FE 15)
Savings per Km: Rs 2
So 1.3L is made up if one drives 65,000Km!
Thats the Km one has to clock on the Diesel Verna, so that it breaks even with low end Petrol Verna.

I have assumed savings/Km is constant. Correct me if my calculations are wrong.
Yes, the calculations may be right. But then if you're a driving enthusiast then the Verna CRDi willl rock you with its power. Power on any gear to be more precise. Mileage may be more than 15 for the CRDi as it features some latest technologies like VGT (Variable Geometry Turbocharger) available only in high end cars.

If you need best performance even better than Octavia and may be similar even to the Laura its the Verna CRDi.