Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 00:07   #31
BHPian
 
599gto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 286
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Priya's Polo GT!

You are absolutely right about everyone having their own opinion about anything and a car. But I am shocked that you spent around 10 lakh rupees on a car that did not seem promising to you in the first place, without even a TD! Might be a major factor behind that opinion of yours!

Also I would definitely want to know, without offending you if I may, the kind of cars you've been driving before the GT apart from the 'rev-happy' Estilo. Because you definitely know what you're talking and it takes a driver who has tasted real blood to be disappointed by the GT. Especially at the given price point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
Glove box lid which tends to open itself when driven over a hard bump. Plastics quality on the lower half of the dash is a few notches lower than what I would expect at this price. Note the provisions for external USB connections, you could use them for after market installs.....
I happen to own a Polo too, a humble 3 pot TDI though, 5 year old and has done close to 60k kms. Surprisingly and in a very pleasant way, this has never happened in my car, or with anyone in my circle consisting of at least 5-6 Polos/Ventos.
To my understanding the mechanism is such that unless you don't lock it properly or unless you've received a lemon, the Glove Box lid unlatching itself is highly unlikely, bump or no bump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Wow! That is one unusual GT TSI review. While I do agree that the Polo has its shortcomings, I have to say you need to set realisitic standards for expectations

Yes the suspension is set up for comfort, but "crazy amounts of body roll"!! really? Something must be wrong with your car.

Noise levels inside are also pretty good for a hatchback in this segment. Never been in a Rolls Royce myself, but if you expect the Polo to be even close to it sarcastically, VW must take it as a compliment!
Rightly said sir, exact three points I wanted to make, but since you've already done it, Kudos!

Last edited by 599gto : 25th February 2016 at 00:13.
599gto is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 00:47   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,379
Thanked: 655 Times
Arrow Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
Variable valving if that's how its called, is basically where the amount of hydraulic fluid through the compression and rebound valves can be varied.
Are you talking about "Adaptive damping"!!? If so, I am surprised that you expect this to be in a Polo!! But just for information, VW group has the technology, but uses it in higher models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
Not saying this will cure body roll, a combination of this, proper spring rates and sway bars can. Its very easy to make the car hard and uncompromising with after market parts, but it will be a huge challenge to arrive at the perfect combination of comfort and handling (the kind of handling a true GT should have ) due to the number of parameters involved, however I'm sure VW with its huge R&D budget could have and should have.
All I can say is, you did a mistake by not taking a TD of the car before purchase. Very sad!!

You are so particular about the car - Surprised that you did not take a simple TD!!

Or may-be, you felt that there is no choice other than The Polo, in the segment you were looking at? (Hot Hatch + AT)

I still feel that you should have waited for the GTI. We would have got a nice happy owner-ship review to read. Not that I did not enjoy reading this review - Thanks for sharing.

Please don't think that I am being negative, like you, I am also just expressing my frank opinion.

All the best! Happy motoring!!
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 08:05   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 228
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
Please don't take it personally, but I own the car it pains me even more to say it. But I did say the engine is perfect, but that doesn't mean it has character.
That's exactly how I felt after my test drive of the TSI, and that's why I settled for the T-Jet which comes with it's own set of issues, but with compromises that I could live with.

Nice honest review by the way.
keroo1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 09:20   #34
BHPian
 
Viju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Narita
Posts: 830
Thanked: 1,531 Times
Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

What a review! Loved it for the honesty, humour and sarcasm. It takes a lot to be critical of our own choices. And in the end, if you are happy with your decision to go with the GT, nothing else matters. Safe driving, and please continue updating the thread regularly.

I am sure you know it already, but you are a great writer, and quite obviously, know your cars!
Viju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 09:45   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,194
Thanked: 707 Times
Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Actually even I was surprised by your comments on the engine and drivetrain. These are the two primary reasons I feel it brings a smile to the face despite its shortcomings on other practical aspects like rear seat space and comfort, lack of 60:40 split seat etc.

The engine and gearbox both are butter smooth, VERY powerful, extremely torquey including importantly at the low end all of which make it an immensely fun to drive car. If I had to own an AT hatch just for driving pleasure, the GT TSI would be it!!

The Jazz may be a better rounded product "practically" speaking but its outright wheezy and painfully lacking in low end torque. The Figo DCT is fun to drive but the gearbox just a tad jerky and certainly nowhere near the smoothness of the GT. The Baleno A/T isn't super exciting either.

Personally, I really do feel like some others here that the car deserves more credit on these fronts.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 11:50   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 37
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

First let me apologize if I am not getting to everyone's questions or feedback as there are quite a few of them. I will reply to all to the best of my ability.

And please keep in mind that I love this car. But I cant review it based on my love for it, particularly when I know my opinion on this car was formed from reading ownership threads on this forum when I was not even a part of this forum.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
You are absolutely right about everyone having their own opinion about anything and a car. But I am shocked that you spent around 10 lakh rupees on a car that did not seem promising to you in the first place, without even a TD! Might be a major factor behind that opinion of yours!

Also I would definitely want to know, without offending you if I may, the kind of cars you've been driving before the GT apart from the 'rev-happy' Estilo. Because you definitely know what you're talking and it takes a driver who has tasted real blood to be disappointed by the GT. Especially at the given price point!



I happen to own a Polo too, a humble 3 pot TDI though, 5 year old and has done close to 60k kms. Surprisingly and in a very pleasant way, this has never happened in my car, or with anyone in my circle consisting of at least 5-6 Polos/Ventos.
To my understanding the mechanism is such that unless you don't lock it properly or unless you've received a lemon, the Glove Box lid unlatching itself is highly unlikely, bump or no bump!


Rightly said sir, exact three points I wanted to make, but since you've already done it, Kudos!
Are you seriously asking me to list down all the cars I've driven since I started driving. Well let me put it this way I have driven enough to know that a hot hatch is not just the engine with a flat torque curve and a DSG because if it was then the original mk 1 Golf GTi would not qualify, no?

Okay first you must be clear that my review is for a post September 2015 Polo GT and not a 5 year old Polo TDI. I have driven\ridden shot gun in my friend's 2013 Polo 1.2 TDI quite extensively and his glove box does not open randomly. Also if you see the picture closely you will notice that the cutout for the locking mechanism is wearing out, and my friend's car with the beige lower half there is no sign of wear after 3 years. Also the steering on his car is much more nicely weighted than on my GT, not much feedback on his car either though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Are you talking about "Adaptive damping"!!? If so, I am surprised that you expect this to be in a Polo!! But just for information, VW group has the technology, but uses it in higher models.



All I can say is, you did a mistake by not taking a TD of the car before purchase. Very sad!!

You are so particular about the car - Surprised that you did not take a simple TD!!

Or may-be, you felt that there is no choice other than The Polo, in the segment you were looking at? (Hot Hatch + AT)

I still feel that you should have waited for the GTI. We would have got a nice happy owner-ship review to read. Not that I did not enjoy reading this review - Thanks for sharing.

Please don't think that I am being negative, like you, I am also just expressing my frank opinion.

All the best! Happy motoring!!
Adaptive damping has many forms, right from the the ferrous particles in the hydraulic fluid to frequency sensing valving which many of the cheaper dampers use. In fact it is used in 400 dollar (Retail) after market Harley shocks they can be easily incorporated in the GT's shocks. But again Sir I think you are missing my point. My point is you should have such mediocre dynamics in a car with a GT badge and VW could have made it better.

And yes I didn't TD the polo GT because I knew it was the final choice I would have to make if nothing else worked out.
GTPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 15:04   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,379
Thanked: 655 Times
Arrow Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
And please keep in mind that I love this car. But I cant review it based on my love for it, particularly when I know my opinion on this car was formed from reading ownership threads on this forum when I was not even a part of this forum.


Individual perceptions vary. Opinion depends on ones own previous experience and expectations based on personal requirements, preferences and facts. That is the reason, a TD is highly recommended on Team-BHP.

Sometimes, when our comments are unrealistic / unreasonable, people cannot relate and so, get confused. Please check the below link for my observations based on my past ownership experience. It is an out-dated comment. But still..

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3237790

Most VW engines are high-reeving. 1.2 Tsi is a gem of an engine, so well mated with the 7 speed DSG, that there is absolutely NO drama. The combination carries out the job across the rev-range, in a butter-smooth manner. Some times, we get bored due to lack of an event!!! Are you? Is that the reason for suspecting the "character" of the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
Adaptive damping has many forms, right from the the ferrous particles in the hydraulic fluid to frequency sensing valving which many of the cheaper dampers use. In fact it is used in 400 dollar (Retail) after market Harley shocks they can be easily incorporated in the GT's shocks. But again Sir I think you are missing my point. My point is you should have such mediocre dynamics in a car with a GT badge and VW could have made it better.
Most things in this world are built to a cost. You may think that "X" amount was the on road price. But after excise duty, VAT, road tax and insurance, the manufacturer would be getting only half the price you would have spent. Any product is packaged based on the segment. For us, a couple of hundred dollars looks paltry. But for mass production, it matters.

But yes, VW could have become a segment leader by providing stiffer suspension and all-round disk brakes for the GT. But than, a common user would never have gone near it, due to the stiffer suspensions. That would have left only the enthusiasts, in which case volume would have drastically reduced. In India, GT is still for the masses - GTI can be exclusive.

Think about this: The reason you went ahead with Polo GT is because there was no option. In other words, Polo GT is the best in it's segment! Case closed?

Now, we can continue our discussion on "What more you would have liked to have in the Polo GT Tsi".
Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 15:50   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 37
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Most VW engines are high-reeving. 1.2 Tsi is a gem of an engine, so well mated with the 7 speed DSG, that there is absolutely NO drama. The combination carries out the job across the rev-range, in a butter-smooth manner. Some times, we get bored due to lack of an event!!! Are you? Is that the reason for suspecting the "character" of the engine?
If the Polo GT's engine DI engine is buttery smooth, would you say this engine is a reference for smoothness? Or where is the reference set at? Perhaps that will enable me to understand where your coming from more clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Most things in this world are built to a cost. You may think that "X" amount was the on road price. But after excise duty, VAT, road tax and insurance, the manufacturer would be getting only half the price you would have spent.
Sure they are, which is why better dynamics should have been the priority over electronic OVRMS. Or did VW arrive at that conclusion as no body bothered telling them that we would want better dynamics or at the least the amount of steering feel you got in a old swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
But yes, VW could have become a segment leader by providing stiffer suspension and all-round disk brakes for the GT. But than, a common user would never have gone near it, due to the stiffer suspensions.
Sir the "only stiffer suspension can improve dynamics" is a pretty dated thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Think about this: The reason you went ahead with Polo GT is because there was no option. In other words, Polo GT is the best in it's segment! Case closed?
Never said it wasn't in fact I do not think I compared it to any other car in its "segment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Now, we can continue our discussion on "What more you would have liked to have in the Polo GT Tsi".
Wasn't that my entire review?
GTPower is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 16:54   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 228
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post


Think about this: The reason you went ahead with Polo GT is because there was no option. In other words, Polo GT is the best in it's segment! Case closed?
Sorry, but I find this statement of yours rather offensive.

Because by inference you are saying that people who bought the Jazz CVT, or the i20 auto, or the new Figo bought the 2nd best car, or even the handful of people who plonked their money on the Abarth Punto came out second best. You could start WWIII on this forum with that statement!!!

I don't think you can really have the best car in a segment as you put it, so the case can never be closed.

Time to go have some tea. Cheers
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 17:40   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,379
Thanked: 655 Times
Arrow Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Sorry, but I find this statement of yours rather offensive.

Because by inference you are saying that people who bought the Jazz CVT, or the i20 auto, or the new Figo bought the 2nd best car, or even the handful of people who plonked their money on the Abarth Punto came out second best. You could start WWIII on this forum with that statement!!!

I don't think you can really have the best car in a segment as you put it, so the case can never be closed.

Time to go have some tea. Cheers
No offense please. My intension was not to hurt anybody's feelings. My words (not actually a statement) were only with reference to Priya's selection process / criteria.

As I said, opinions depends on ones own previous experience and expectations based on personal requirements, preferences and facts. Otherwise, there is hardly much to differentiate, as all these cars have their own positives and negatives.

Cheers!
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 18:35   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,214
Thanked: 568 Times
Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
First let me apologize if I am not getting to everyone's questions or feedback as there are quite a few of them. I will reply to all to the best of my ability.
First of all: Good job holding your own against the barrage

I think the point people are trying to make is that your initial review comes across as if you first couldn't be bothered to test drive the car from which you have extraordinarily high expectations, and then proceed to say that the car is basically crap, "but I love it".

The difference between expectations and reality isn't justified by online reviews that you had read prior to buying the car, because the only way that would have been the case was if you were watching reviews of the UK or Europe spec Polo - which at over 15L (equivalent) on road in the UK is half as much more than what it costs here. The Polo has been around in India for a while, and the specifications are well known, so the missing sunroof even as an option shouldn't come as a surprise.

You make some relevant points though - we do see a lot of posts on TBHP praising the handling of VW/Skoda cars though the ones in the know would say they're designed for good ride and acceptable handling in Indian conditions. Which is why the reviews and ownership logs are fine to get an idea, but most of them do still start with "IMHO" or end on "go drive it yourself".

Given your preferences and budget, a Punto Abarth would have been a much better choice. The Abarth brand may be questionable on the car, but the engine, ride and handling, steering feedback and feel, and build are far better (except maybe the plastics). The negatives are quite well known and I will not elaborate on them. I would like to hear your opinion on the Punto.

However, now that you have bought the car - Congratulations! It is still the best "hot" automatic hatch in the market, and I'm sure VW build will hold up to abuse though their service might make you want to pull your hair out.

PS> On TBHP a question about what cars you have driven or are used to driving isn't intended to be offensive. It is just to understand your perspective. Someone who has grown up driving BMWs would find a VW Polo terribly boring, ill-equipped, lacking in handling and not much fun to drive. I'm not one of those people, and the advantage of TBHP is the perspective one gets on our own opinions.
VeluM is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 18:37   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,436 Times
Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Many, Congrats on the Polo TSI. Nice, Honest and Candid Review - Thanks for that. I have owned the Cousin Sister of Polo - The Rapid and found your points on Steering feedback and driving dynamics accurate (although some bits were over-critical).

I guess your review was hovering on one key aspect - There is more to adorning a GT badge than just Turbo Engines and Dual Clutch Transmissions. for that. Many under-estimate the prowess of a good handling car!

I would like to suggest you a simple mod to elevate your driving experience. Just remove that GT badge and imagine driving a regular Polo

Have fun with your ride!
Mi10 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 18:40   #43
BHPian
 
prateekswarup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 229
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Congrats Priya and welcome to the GT TSI club.

Differently written review, I would say! Not sure if it connects with me on all points, but, at the end it's your opinion.

Shortage of rear seat space, lack lustre steering feel are surely there, but having driven multiple sedans and smaller hatchbacks, I feel that at the price point, the Polo corners pretty decently.

Also, have not faced any issue with the glove box opening in my 6k of driving across city and highways. And mine is an July 2015 model without the cruise control and OVRM indicators.

Engine gearbox combo is a gem to use and overall fit and finish are quite good. As far as character goes, I doubt very few cars would actually qualify for that, especially here at team-bhp.

Don't get too hungover on the GT moniker. It is a premium hatchback with technology benefits. Period. For the more spirited, as rightly pointed out by many members, the GTI is there.

There was a time the Chevy Forester was sold in India as an SUV! If I may be bold enough to to say, most GT owners have brought the car for the occasional FTD factor that it adds to our mundane lives!

Anyways, enjoy the drive. Maybe over a period of time the TSI will grow on you!
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 19:07   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 37
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post

Also, have not faced any issue with the glove box opening in my 6k of driving across city and highways. And mine is an July 2015 model without the cruise control and OVRM indicators.
Yes I actually need to take up this glove box issue with VW. I am surprised that it does it but then it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
There was a time the Chevy Forester was sold in India as an SUV! If I may be bold enough to to say, most GT owners have brought the car for the occasional FTD factor that it adds to our mundane lives!

Anyways, enjoy the drive. Maybe over a period of time the TSI will grow on you!
Hey the forester may not be a SUV but it was awesome car! Okay maybe a bit exaggerated but a friend of mine got it as his first car! Can you believe that? Okay so it was a used one but still his dad caved in and got him one, all I got was an Estilo (a used one) after crying my heart out! The boxer engine on that forester, you will never forget it. That burble (primarily caused because it have uneven exhaust pipe lengths) is just intoxicating! Reading someone mention forester does bring back memories. Its a totally forgotten car.
GTPower is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 21:26   #45
BHPian
 
599gto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 286
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
Are you seriously asking me to list down all the cars I've driven since I started driving...........
Not too much to ask for on this forum I think. If not all I just wanted to know what your reference point is. Because the way you've spoken about engine character, chassis and suspension stiffness, cornering speeds, it takes a seasoned driver with some serious time behind the wheel of a proper drivers car(not much to do with the cost of the car though!) to be able to analyse those parameters. Would have liked a direct answer, skip if you intend to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
If the Polo GT's engine DI engine is buttery smooth, would you say this engine is a reference for smoothness? Or where is the reference set at? Perhaps that will enable me to understand where your coming from more clearly.
Now, I hope you did get my above point ma'am, with all due respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
In fact it is used in 400 dollar (Retail) after market Harley shocks they can be easily incorporated in the GT's shocks.....
Well 400-500 dollars or maybe a little more could get you a more than decent suspension set up for the Polo!
These parts are called aftermarket for a reason. Available to anyone who wants them. VW couldn't have given the Indian market anything more at this price. And if you were ready to pay more, should have waited for the GTI, could have owned a better car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post

Don't get too hungover on the GT moniker. It is a premium hatchback with technology benefits. Period. For the more spirited, as rightly pointed out by many members, the GTI is there...
True true....

Last edited by 599gto : 25th February 2016 at 21:30.
599gto is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi robimahanta Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 318 22nd October 2016 11:04
Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI? Y@SH The Indian Car Scene 133 30th June 2012 15:34
VW Passat 1.8 TSI Vs Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI ivar1951 The Indian Car Scene 21 14th April 2010 19:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks